The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Majesty

Naomi Watts looks absolutely nothing like Diana. And Hasnat Khan, who seems like the most honorable and decent of men, has said the promotional clips made him "laugh out loud".
That's all I need to hear.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

A garbage film to make money. Based on what???

Old 09-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Majesty

COUNTESS it is alleged to be based on Diana's relationship with Hasnat Khan...the last great love of her life according to people who knew her.

But Khan has publically distanced himself from the film, says it got a lot of things wrong and is simply a joke!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

So... It's like pretty much every other "biographical" film out there?

People are bothered by this, but it's no different from every other so called based on a true story movie that focuses on someone who may have been less famous (or simply has been dead for a longer period of time) than Diana.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Critics savage Diana film after premiere

Critics savage Diana film after premiere < Local News | Expatica United Kingdom

The Times praised Watts for doing "her level best with a squirmingly embarrassing script" but concluded that the film was still "atrocious and intrusive".

"Poor Princess Diana," wrote Guardian critic Peter Bradshaw. "I hesitate to use the term 'car crash cinema'. But the awful truth is that, 16 years after that terrible day in 1997, she has died another awful death."

The Daily Telegraph gave the film two stars -- one more than both the Guardian and Times -- but was also withering in its assessment. "What's the point of 'Diana'?" reviewer Davis Gritten asked rhetorically.

Diana Movie Savaged by Critics
Old 09-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Royal Highness

It's official, this movie sucks :

Diana : Tempête à Londres autour de sa dépouille
Old 09-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

To be completely honest, I can't wait to see this film blow completely. Call me a Doris Downer or whatever you like, but I still think it's way too soon to make a film about someone as well-loved and iconic as Diana was and still is. Doesn't help much that the film looks (and always have looked) like a cheap Lifetime movie. I also think that Naomi Watts is a horrific actress but that's just me.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

And some more scathing remarks. Ouch! Maybe for a laugh I'll wait for DVD, if the movie ever makes it there:

Naomi Watts' 'Diana' attacked by British critics - MSN Movies News

Peter Bradshaw of the Guardian gave "Diana" just one star out of a possible five and heavily criticized the film, writing, "Poor Princess Diana. I hesitate to use the term 'car crash cinema.' But the awful truth is that, 16 years after that terrible day in 1997, she has died another awful death ... The movie isn't so much Mills & Boon as a horrendous Fifty Shades of Grey with the S&M sex taken out -- and replaced with paparazzi intrusion and misunderstood charity work ... The moment anyone, anyone at all, opens their mouth, we are in TV-movie-land, soap-land."

The Daily Telegraph's David Gritten concurs, singling out the movie's references to the Paris car crash as a "redundant piece of lurid sensationalism," adding of the film, "What's the point of 'Diana'? It's hardly fascinating. It doesn't offer new facts about the princess's life. And it certainly doesn't explain her complexity or contradictions. That would take a different, better film altogether."

David Edwards of the Daily Mirror adds, "'Diana' can only be described as a fabulously awful film. The queen of hearts has been recast as a sad-sack singleton that even Bridget Jones would cross the street to avoid ... The film's a cheap and cheerless effort ... Director Oliver Hirschbiegel ... should know better ... Despite a peroxide hair job, (Watts) looks, sounds and acts nothing like the princess of Wales. Wesley Snipes in a blond wig would be more convincing." Christopher Tookey of the Daily Mail also gave the film just one star out of five, branding it "tedious," "slow" and "terribly, terribly dull."
Old 09-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

As one commentator said 'the critics have had their say,now its up to the audiences'.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
COUNTESSBut Khan has publically distanced himself from the film, says it got a lot of things wrong and is simply a joke!
I would take this to mean that Khan's permission to make a movie about a love affair he's had in his lifetime wasn't granted. If someone were to make a movie about someone I once had a relationship with and got it wrong and didn't ask for my permission, I'd definitely be seeking legal counsel.

It is no surprise to me that this film is going to flop. I really don't think there's that much general interest in Diana and her love affairs anymore let alone how badly the script was written or how bad the actress was. Then again, making a movie these days about Betty Ford's battle with alcoholism would probably garner the same response. The interest in both persons has met its sell by date. (I do know there was a movie made about Betty in 1987)
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Serene Highness

Amusing cartoon about the film..

Matt cartoons witty political cartoons and satirical sketches - Telegraph
Old 09-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Now that is a good one! Y'know I actually had that happen to me once. Got to the movie and there were only about 4 people in the theater.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think anyone can expect a full house for this film. This should've been a Lifetime Movie or a NBC movie or something. I don't think there would be a big audience for a film like this.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
To be completely honest, I can't wait to see this film blow completely. Call me a Doris Downer or whatever you like, but I still think it's way too soon to make a film about someone as well-loved and iconic as Diana was and still is. Doesn't help much that the film looks (and always have looked) like a cheap Lifetime movie. I also think that Naomi Watts is a horrific actress but that's just me.
This film looks bad, but I don't think it's too soon - she passed away over 15 years ago!
Old 09-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Naomi Watts chose an awful dress to the premiere in London, her outfit describes the whole lousy movie.
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/N...ltSu_IGFWx.jpg
At the premiere in Paris
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/N...3UnKiSd9Fx.jpg

I think that this movie was made too soon, at least 30 years should have gone from Diana's death.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

It is no surprise to me that this film is going to flop. I really don't think there's that much general interest in Diana and her love affairs anymore let alone how badly the script was written or how bad the actress was. Then again, making a movie these days about Betty Ford's battle with alcoholism would probably garner the same response. The interest in both persons has met its sell by date. (I do know there was a movie made about Betty in 1987)
You never know.
I imagine the producers took one look at the box office and awards for recent films about the BRF like The Queen and The King's Speech, and thought YES! Diana would be box office gold, and a few of those little gold statues wouldn't hurt either!

(It's like the Holocaust in a way; films about that are considered Oscar bait. Hope that doesn't offend anyone, but it's the truth).
Old 09-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I think that this movie was made too soon, at least 30 years should have gone from Diana's death.
You seem to forget the numerous and cheap TV movies about Diana. A movie about the late princess is ok, at least it must be a good one. And here it's not the case. ...
Old 09-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Yikes, is Naomi channeling Bjork's infamous swan dress worn at the Oscars several years ago? All she needs are the feathers.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
You seem to forget the numerous and cheap TV movies about Diana. A movie about the late princess is ok, at least it must be a good one. And here it's not the case. ...
I remember - didn't Catherine Oxenberg play Diana??
Old 09-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andolini View Post

I remember - didn't Catherine Oxenberg play Diana??
Yes, it is a quite old movie, about the first years of their wedding.