"De Kongelige Juveler" ("The Royal Jewels") (2011) - DR Documentary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muhler

Imperial Majesty
City
Eastern Jutland
Country
Denmark
"De Kongelige Juveler" ("The Royal Jewels") (2011) - DR Documentary

Not quite sure where to post this one as this is about all the jewellery in the DRF, not just something used by a specific member.

On Sunday DR1 will show the first episode of two about the jewellery in the DRF. That will be aired at 20.00 DK time and it will last an hour.
People living outside DK should be able to watch it live.
The second episode will be aired the next Sunday.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #49, 2011.
Jeg blev overvældet - I was overwhelmed.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

This article is about the first episode, which among other things deals with ruby parure set Mary is using and which was used by Queen Ingrid before her.
She was presented with that set a few days before the wedding.
Mary tells us in the documentary: "When I recieved the ruby-set from my husband and my future mother-in-law, I was very overwhelmed. I had never seen such a set of jewellery before. And for me, as a newly arrival, in the royal family to think that I was to wear that - that was an overwhelming thought".
Mary wore this set four days prior to her wedding and she recollects: "There was so much new, so much overwhelming for me, the first night I wore the ruby set. It wasn't just the jewellery. it was the significanse of the entire event, of all the time I was through. (*) It was also the dress - I had never worn a dress like that before".

The set was made for the coronation of Napoleon and QMII says about Mary wearing it: "I love to see it on her".

During the interview Mary will be seen wearing the saphire brooch, she was presented with by QMII, just before Christian's christening.

The documentary follow a number of royal jewellery from their place of origin until they end up in the DRF.
Mary, QMII, Prince Henrik, Queen Silvia and Princess Benedikte talks about the various pieces of jewellery.

Queen Silvia says about her Brasillian diamond tiara: "I wore it at Crown Princess Victoria's wedding and I never take it outside the country". Except in 2007, during a state visit to Denmark: "That was a very special occasion. We are so close. We are not only firends, we are also family. I thought: What shall I wear? What will Queen Margrethe like to see? She knowls all the tiaras. So I thought the Brasillian tiara is unique. I thought - kinda queen to queen - that would be grand to wear that".

The jewellery are litterally priceless. As QMII puts it: "We don't count carats, we count centuries".

QMII also talks about her wearing the diamond flower tiara and the very valuable indeed and rare set of brilliants: "At special occasions, when you put on your finest clothing, you also put on your best jewellery. If it's an afternoon wedding that ends in the evening you will wear tiara, even though it's bright daylight".

(*) "Of all the time I was through" is a litteral translation. I'm not sure what Mary actually means. My guess is that she refers to her preparations prior to this culminating that evening.

Last edited:
The TV-show "The royal Jewels, part 1" has just ended and what a wonderful show. I am already looking forward to part 2 :) :) :)

I've just watched the first part of the documentary about royal jewellery.

For those who like to look at major bling-bling and detailed photos of tiaras, this is it!
This part was about the jewellery in the DRF and SRF.

The narration is in Danish but the royals speak English when they talk about the jewellery or tell anecdotes.
A number of the significant pieces are followed through the various families up to the present day.
Also the story of some of the changes is explained.

Mary is very well featured.

I will not write more about the jewellery, because that really isn't my field, but for those who are interested, this ducumentary is a must.

You should be able to see it outside DK and I hope someone will post a link.

The second part of the documentary deal with the Russian jewellery. That is aired next Sunday.

The narration is in Danish but the royals speak English when they talk about the jewellery or tell anecdotes.
Except of course Prince Henrik - he speaks french :flowers:

The Royal Jewels was a great documentary indeed. My favourite tiara (Queen Ingrid's ruby tiara/set) got a great coverage and I can't wait to see next episode as I'm absolutely in love with all the Romanov jewels. In the preview of the second part I think I saw Princess Olga Romanoff, and on DR's website it says that also Prince Michael of Greece and Prince Michael of Kent will appear, so I'm definitely gonna watch second part too! ;)

Last edited:
The 'docu' is probably intended for an audience outside Scandinavia!

It surprised me though that the story of Queen Alexandrines Russian 'kokoshnik' tiara ('sardindåsediademet' to the Danes! ) wasn't followed through to its present owner Count Ingolf of Rosenborg. Originally this piece of jewellery was a wedding gift from Czar Alexander II to a Russian Princess/Grand Duchess who married into the Mecklenburg dynasty. There was a short glimpse of a photo of Ingolfs wife Countess Susie wearing the tiara, but no further explanation, no names, no nothing.
Why include this piece when it no longer belongs to the ruling branch of the Glücksburgs??:ermm:

viv

Is there a link to watch the first part of the doc so those of us in Australia can watch? Thanks :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
My favourite tiara (Queen Ingrid's ruby tiara/set) got a great coverage.

And now we know that she had it slightly altered to become more 'upright'!
I also endorse the change of the matching earrings - those chandeliers of old must have been uncomfortable to wear!

viv

Is there a link to watch the first part of the doc so those of us in Australia can watch? Thanks :flowers:

I don't think it has been uploaded yet. :ermm:
I'm certain that as soon as it is, someone will post a link.

ADDED:

There is also a book, which is can be preordered now.
The book will be published in 2012. At 240 DKK it isn't pricey.
I sincerely hope they mean 11th January and not 1st November!
http://www.bogguide.dk/find_boeger_bog.asp?_UNR=1558257
Confirmed. The book will be published 1st November 2012.
http://www.saxo.com/dk/item/anna-vo...undet.aspx?searchkeyword=De+kongelige+juveler

MORE ADDED:
The glittering message board informs us that documentary has been bought by a number of countries and I understand Australia, China and Poland are among them.

Last edited:

AD, maybe I'm venturing into someone elses department :flowers:, but: the doc is not yet available on the DR.TV website, where the Danes would look for a 'repeat'. There might be a geo block on these broadcasts, I'm not sure. ?
There is also a book, which is can be preordered now...
I wonder whether it'll be a relaunched version of a similar book by Bjarne Steen Jensen, from some ten years ago. BSJ knows loads about the royal jewellery, but his book could do with some serious editing and a few updates.

viv

Last edited by a moderator:
AD, maybe I'm venturing into someone elses department :flowers:, but: the doc is not yet available on the DR.TV website, where the Danes would look for a 'repeat'. There might be a geo block on these broadcasts, I'm not sure. ?

That's why the gods invented YouTube. ;)

The Royal Jewels was a great documentary indeed. My favourite tiara (Queen Ingrid's ruby tiara/set) got a great coverage and I can't wait to see next episode as I'm absolutely in love with all the Romanov jewels. In the preview of the second part I think I saw Princess Olga Romanoff, and on DR's website it says that also Prince Michael of Greece and Prince Michael of Kent will appear, so I'm definitely gonna watch second part too! ;)
Prince Michael already appeared in the first part :flowers:

That's why the gods invented YouTube. ;)
Amen to that! :lol:
I hope it´ll be available soon, I want to see it so much! And also the part about Romanov´s jewells!
You Danes are so lucky, it seems that tv on DK focus a lot on royalty, I´ve seen some terrific docus so far. Here we have the worst TV in the world, I´m afraid :nonono: I´ll cry if I ever see a Spanish documentary half as good as the foreign ones I see on Youtube...

Some caps from the documentary: Mary om historisk rubinsæt: Overvældende at bære - De Kongelige

It will be shown in Australia on Christmas Day.

SBSONE TV Guide for today

ADDED: I understand that Majesty Magazine will devote eight pages to the jewellery in the DRF in their January issue.
The February issue will deal with the Swedish jewellery.
And the March issue will take a look at the Russian jewellery.
(Thanks to the original posters on other boards :flowers:)

Last edited:
Princess Benedikte spoke of how she wore the Ruby Parure as a child, during a skit where she played Queen Desirée. Queen Ingrid also had a replica of the dress Queen Desirée wore to Emperor Napoleon's coronation, which Benedikte wore as well (right-hand side image). Then-Princess Anne-Marie was King Oscar I.

Screencap of Benedikte in the Ruby Parure

I just watched the documentary and I'm speechless. Brilliant :twohearts:
Really loved that a big part of documentary was in English :)
Can't wait for second part :)

Queen Silvia and Queen Margrethe provided with enormous explanation of the history of jewelry and meaning to them also.:heart1: :cheers:

Just finished watching part 1- WOW! Loved it. Definitely recommend it (even if you don't speak Danish like me :whistling:).

Does someone knows, how I can download this documentary?
Does someone have recorded and will like to share :) (torrent, rapid-share....)!!!:whistling:
I really would like to have this AMAZING two part documentary on my royal collection :flowers:

Last edited:
Well, Princess Mary's accent is certainly, erm, interesting.

I'm surprised this programme was made. I mean, it's interesting, but in the middle of an historically dreadful time with Europe likely staring down the barrel at an economic depression, these Royals decided it was a good idea to show off their jewellery? A rather strange decision in my view.

If people don't want to watch it or take issue with the context of the program, they don't have to view it. That's the wonderful thing about 'choice' isn't it...

Yes Mary's voice is interesting, I agree. Quite delicate. Rather pretty I find.

Last edited:
I don't think it's asking too much to expect them to demonstrate some judgement about what's appropriate given the current environment in Europe. They leave themselves open to accusations of being out of touch and uncaring. This is simply the worst possible time for a programme such as this to be made.

Oh, and I wasn't talking about Mary's voice. It was her strange accent when speaking English which I found funny. It sounds incredibly affected to me.

The rubies in Mary's parure are incredibly pink. It's my understanding that the very best rubies are a deep red.

I'd be most surprised if many were to take any offence at all unless it's their intent to do so before watching the program. Anyone who wishes to find fault always will.

I fail to see why it's such a bad idea when these items of jewellery continue to be worn and are thus viewed by society through many mediums of social interest. If these royal custodians can be photographed and put to press wearing the jewels on a regular occurence then how is making a documentary series such an intolerable move. It's a reality that many people accept as being associated with the monarchy's physcial being and is something that captures peoples curiosity and interest.

As for Mary's "strange accent", some will either just look for something to 'pick' which is no surprise given the tone of some members posts on a regular basis, or, the concept that someones syntax/pronounciation can shift to some degree when having spoken a foreign language for the better part of 10 years on a daily basis is beyond their cognitive grasp.

Last edited:
Mary accents and the way how she talks (like searching for right words) are indeed funny. And her big eyes :D
These rubies are indeed more pink than red. Maybe it depends on the place when they were find? This is quite interesting documentary, few informations are totally new for me. I also like old videos and pictures used in it.
About showing the jewelery. I've noticed that in Denmark people are not very critical toward RF, even when they're partying a lot and spending money on various celebrations. It could be unimaginable for example in Spain or GB, but in Denmark it's not problem. IMO DRF should be grateful for this.

Well, Princess Mary's accent is certainly, erm, interesting.

I'm surprised this programme was made. I mean, it's interesting, but in the middle of an historically dreadful time with Europe likely staring down the barrel at an economic depression, these Royals decided it was a good idea to show off their jewellery? A rather strange decision in my view.

Are you serious?

Personally, I think such shows are excellent in times of trouble. As Oscar Wilde said "Give me the luxuries, I can dispence with the necessities."

It's not like the royals are responsible for the recession (although I suspect you are the right person to drum up reasons for why they are. Mary especially).

I find it infinitely more problematic that bankers en masse get massive raises despite having squandered peoples money for years.

Quote from Queen Margrethe: "We don't count the karats, we count the centuries." The whole show made made clear that it is about history, and that these jewels have been around for many generations. So where is the offence in financially difficult times? If the show were about new jewellery lately aquired, it indeed should be critized. But wearing age old jewels hasn't got to do with spending money.

About the show: I loved it, and it payed off that I had started to learn a bit Danish. But simply looking at the pictures payed off to a lover of historic jewels. I was particularly impressed by some new stills which were made with very clever lighting from behind. How the amethysts from the Swedish parure were glowing with a rich colour! Or the Swedish cameos looked spectacular with the light shining through from behind and making them shine!

Just saw this documentary online, the fact that they used lots of old photos and videos was really nice.

Back
Top Bottom