The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-26-2011, 12:38 AM
Commoner

not working for me either :( Hope someone can post it. Would have liked to see it

Old 12-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rosie View Post
Here is the link to The Royal Jewels part1.

SBS On Demand - The Royal Jewels Ep 1 - Through Generations

The link only lasts 7 days from yesterday.
Thanks for the link, but this Canadian could only see an image of the Crown Princess Mary with a polite voice telling me that the content of this video is currently unavailable
Are other members outside Australia having similar issues?

Old 12-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Royal Highness

I got the same thing. Maybe in a day or two?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Couldn't access the Aussie version either. Enjoyed both parts of the Danish docu, though, I did miss parts in Danish. Part II is very different than part I, much more emphasis on history. I loved them both in different ways.
Though I did know a fair amount about the Russian history, the old film footage and old photographs were all new to me and imo worth taking the time to see.
In fact, just hearing QMarg, QSilvia, Prince Michael of Kent, Prince Henrik interviewed was worth it. Prince Michael (of Greece, Yugoslavia?) is such an entertaining story teller, I could listen to him for hours!
Old 12-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness
Prince Michael (of Greece, Yugoslavia?) is such an entertaining story teller, I could listen to him for hours!
He comes across as someone with a love of life and seems like he'd be the life of any party!. Forget the Dos Equis Beer guy...Prince Michael is the most interesting man in the world!! LOL

I couldn't watch the SBS english version as well, but watched the original version. Still really interesting from what was in english! Queen Silvia has a lovely voice, I've never heard her speak in english before!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Love the Dos Equis reference; Prince Michael is certainly a skillful raconteur and would give that guy a close run for his money!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Michel of Greece is the most informed man about Royals and their jewels. He wrote very interesting books I read in french .
Old 01-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Courtier

Just watched the second part of the documentary. One thing annoyed me in the version shown here; the person who had translated and subtitled the documentary in Finnish, Marjo Hiidensalo, kept using the word 'tiaara' instead of 'tiara' and it was driving me mad!

Other than that it was interesting although they did make a mistake that made me doubt the accuracy of other things in their program. They said that La Peregrina pearl was sold in auction in 1987 and since the buyer remained anonymous the whereabouts of the pearl were since unknown. Really? Then how come it is pretty much common knowledge that Richard Burton bought it for his then-wife, Elizabeth Taylor, and it was set in a lovely diamond-pearl-ruby-necklace and sold in auction again after her death last year? It just made me think how many blunders they might have made in the series...

Watching the bolsheviks rip jewels out of the beautiful tiaras and necklaces was heart-wrenching (as of course were the stories of how everyone was either killed or had to escape). It is also such a shame that so few works of art (yes, I would certainly call the jewelry such) remain today as most were broken apart and sold. And to my small amazement, apparently the royals are not as wealthy as I've thought since Prince Michael of Kent said it was such a shame they couldn't afford to keep the items found in Sweden (cigarette boxes etc.). When they showed the auction in the documentary, the items didn't seem to cost that much. At least the Queen would've been able to afford them. Then of course I don't know who actually did buy them...
Old 01-14-2012, 04:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Here are the episodes from finnish TV
Part 1
Kruununjalokivien säihkyvä historia | Toista | YLE Areena | yle.fi
(available for 18 days)

Part 2
2/2 | Kruununjalokivien säihkyvä historia | Toista | YLE Areena | yle.fi
(available for 25 days)

I don´t know if these can be seen abroad.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Aristocracy

DVD to buy

This DVD can be already bought at
https://shop.abc.net.au/products/the-royal-jewels-dvd
Old 12-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Jewels: Parts 1-2-
De kongelige juveler (2:2)

For those who haven't seen the documentary yet, you can view it here.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Royal Highness

It is such a wonderful series, I've watched it several times yet it still captivates me every each time.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Heir Apparent

This is a great series. I have only watched the first part, but am delighted there is a workable link that can be used to watch the second part as well.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Courtier

I have just watched the first part and I enjoyed it very much. A very interesting and captivating documentary indeed.
(And Queen Silvia looked fantastic!)
Old 12-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Those jewels are something else and it's nice that the royals make sure they take care of the jewels and wear them. For some reason the British royals are scared to wear to their family jewels or be seen wearing them but I just like the way the scandinavian royals wear their family heirlooms with so much joy and do it as much as they can.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Gentry

I couldn't open the link :(
Old 08-07-2013, 04:39 AM
Aristocracy

This splendid documentary has been finally uploaded on youtube.
part 1

and part 2