The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Royal Highness

Even more astonishing than the first part? Now I really have something to look forward to. Let's hope that it will be online tomorrow. It's always good to bring some sparkle in one's Mondays, isn't it?

Oh, and I constantly forget about my gemstone boxes at Cartier. So difficult to keep track of it all. I even mislaid my diamond and ruby Christmas tree decoration. So I decided to put only natural pearls and diamond stars on my tree this year.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Even more astonishing than the first part? Now I really have something to look forward to. Let's hope that it will be online tomorrow. It's always good to bring some sparkle in one's Mondays, isn't it?

Oh, and I constantly forget about my gemstone boxes at Cartier. So difficult to keep track of it all. I even mislaid my diamond and ruby Christmas tree decoration. So I decided to put only natural pearls and diamond stars on my tree this year.
I supposed that can be exused if you were wealthier than the Imperial family, a lot wealthier!
But I understand what you're saying, it really is a problem keeping order in all that bling. - Which is why one of the more prominent figures in this documentary kept four safes in her bouduoir. She had sorted her jewellery according to the color of the stones.....
That is, those she had in this particular residence.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Royal Highness

How inspiring, I'll ask Santa for a set of safes this year.

And how did you find out that I was making up that little story. Wasn't it realistic enough?

Ah, realism. I guess that those Russian aritstocrats would have fared a bit better, had they been more realistic about the situation in their country.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Pass me the smelling salts, please, all this talk of the Russian collection and multiple safes in various homes to contain priceless jewels is making me quite faint!!
Old 12-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
How inspiring, I'll ask Santa for a set of safes this year.

And how did you find out that I was making up that little story. Wasn't it realistic enough?

Ah, realism. I guess that those Russian aritstocrats would have fared a bit better, had they been more realistic about the situation in their country.
You do have a reputation as a jester, Tilia C. I was guessing.

But you are so very right. The Russian upper class lived in a bizarre alternative world compared to the rest of the population.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

here is the link to Part 2:
DR NU

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Amazing documetary! I really enjoyed it very much and I'm looking forward to the next part!
Old 12-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Royal Highness

Watching part two made me so sad that it was the last because it is truly one of the most magnificent documentaries about royals/jewels that I have ever seen.
You could see that Prince Michael of Kent got pretty emotional when talking about the Dowager Empress' exit from Crimea.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
You do have a reputation as a jester, Tilia C. I was guessing.

But you are so very right. The Russian upper class lived in a bizarre alternative world compared to the rest of the population.
I? Reputation? I have no idea what you are talking about. And now I'll check out the link Stefan kindly posted.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
here is the link to Part 2:
DR NU
Fascinating. Thank you for posting the link! I love archival footage and this documentary wove in the footage beautifully. Wonderful to view.

Will there be more parts to this documentary - or are the two parts it?

Again, thank you!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you very much for part 2 of this most fascinating documentary. The most poignant part was Prince Michael recounting the story of the Russian royals escaping the country by ship; he definitely was moved by this.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

This Documentary is truly JEWELRY. Both parts are magnificent. I liked more first part

It would be nice in the future to see more documentaries like this for jewelry of every royal house
Old 12-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Royal Highness

I'm probably the only one who was disappointed by the second part of the documentary. I was hoping for it to be about russian jewels in lesser known european courts. It was mostly about stuff I already knew thru my own reading, etc. Fewer interviews were in english, although I could pick out a word here and there from the french.

The second part really had nothing to so with the first part of the documentray, and from what I gathered (as I don't understand Danish and only a smidge of French), never went in depth about any one particular piece of jewelry.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Fascinating. Thank you for posting the link! I love archival footage and this documentary wove in the footage beautifully. Wonderful to view.

Will there be more parts to this documentary - or are the two parts it?

Again, thank you!
There are only two parts in this documentary.
But who knows? There may be a follow up if the interest is there or someone else might be inspired to make something similay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
I'm probably the only one who was disappointed by the second part of the documentary. I was hoping for it to be about russian jewels in lesser known european courts. It was mostly about stuff I already knew thru my own reading, etc. Fewer interviews were in english, although I could pick out a word here and there from the french.
Yeah, I think this documentary was more like a general introduction into the world of royal jewellery and not aimed at those who are really in the know.
To me it was a fascinating glimpse into a subject and history I knew next to nothing about and as such I found the second part more interesting.
It was amusing to hear Prince Henrik talk about how "French" the Russian aristocracy was. Even down to the laying of the dinner-table.
And also to hear him tell us how they bought their dresses in France and shipped their laundry to France...
Old 12-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Serene Highness

The British aristocracy took many of its table laying customs (and fashion statements) from the French as well.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I was disappointed about part 2 as well. I had hoped it would be about the Russian jewels that are still around and being worn by living royals such as the Greeks (which through Queen Anne Marie would have tied into the Danish angle). It really just turned out to be about the revolution and the loss or sales of jewels nearly 100 years ago. Part 1 was great but part 2 not so much.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I too liked Part 1 and part 2 was a bit of a let down. Thanks for posting the links~
Old 12-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Part 2 was heavy on the family history, I also found.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Aristocracy

I agree with you: the second part was very disappointing for me. I would have seen new jewels or jewels owned by the lesser known members of the Romanov dynasty.

Regards!
Old 12-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd love to see more installments on other royal houses' jewels such as the Dutch, Norwegian, Belgian, Spanish and Luxembourg, then maybe we'd see the royal ladies interviewed as well. Imagine the jewels we'd see and the stories we'd hear......