The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-14-2011, 01:08 AM
Gentry

Brilliant documentary! I first was interested in watching it because it featured Queen Ingrid's ruby parure, my favorite, but everything else was so interesting. It was great to hear the Queens discuss the fabulous jewelery as well as history in general. I'm totally going to watch it again, can't wait for the second part. Fingers crossed they make an English version (I heard it might air in Australia...?)

While watching it I also thought how amazing it would be to have a doc like this about the British Royal jewels

Old 12-14-2011, 01:41 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Yes Super Baroness, it will be airing in Australia on Christmas Day/New Year's Eve. SBS has bought the rights to the documentary, and in foreign language programs they always have English subtitles. I'm sure after it airs, the English version will make it on to the net somehow.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rop81 View Post
That is not how i understood it: Maud fled to Sweden and before she left for america her mother, princess Ingeborg, gave her the emeralds (they belonged to Ingeborg) and told her to sell them if she had to, they didn´t know if they would ever see eachother again. Fortunatly they could return to Norway and she didn´t had to sell the emeralds, and that´s how they ended up in Norway. That´s how i understood the story atleast.
I stand corrected.
I wrote from memory.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:01 AM
Heir Apparent

And some hard news from Billed Bladet: Billed-Bladet - Udlandet viser stor interesse for De Kongelige Juveler

The documentary is right now being assessed by around 30 networks.

Apart from Australia, China and Poland, these countries have also bought the docu: Norway, Estonia, Finland, Belgium and Luxembourg.

926.000 watched the first part Sunday. (We are 5.400.000 in DK. That's pretty impressive, even if we include German, Swedish and Norwegian viewers in that figure).
Old 12-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
This is the shot to which I referred. The long pieces which we have not seen worn actually look alot like some modern diamond earring settings. I wonder if they could be worn by themselves...but then it would be strange that we haven't seen them on HM or any of the princesses in Sweden, especially the younger ones.
Thanks to Tamara of the RJWMB: The long upper parts of the Brazilian earrings have indeed been worn by themselves by 'the younger ones'!
Only once as it seems, in fact by CP Victoria at the 'Day After' Nobel gala 2007, though one should check if they were seen other occasions as well.
Their shape is not very distinct all on their own, and they might have been overlooked even when worn by Queen Silvia.

As for 'the long pieces look like modern settings' - that's because, as I mentioned before, they are. The whole setting of these earrings is modern, as Queen Silvia had it made for the historic stones from storage in 1979.

Tamara's pic of CP Victoria wearing the upper parts in 2007:
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I don't recognize the pendant on her necklace worn on this occasion - another pic:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...foto11me6.jpg/
Old 12-14-2011, 07:48 AM
Courtier

As this doco is so popular and rated well it appears, then it should be made available after general release on DVD so all of us who are interested - bling junkies - jewelholics - and diamond lovers, can watch it over and over especially on weekends when the only other alternative is football.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
As this doco is so popular and rated well it appears, then it should be made available after general release on DVD so all of us who are interested - bling junkies - jewelholics - and diamond lovers, can watch it over and over especially on weekends when the only other alternative is football.
No worries: some time ago one of the makers, Bjarne Steen-Jensen, stated on the RJW board, that there will be DVD. It will be both in Danish and in English.

I'm looking forward to the 2nd part. If it's anything like the first part, it will be stunning.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Many posts from the early part of this thread have been removed due to their having no relevance to the documentary.

Warren
Royal Library moderator
Old 12-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Courtier

Thanks for the info Tilia. It should sell well. cheers
Old 12-14-2011, 11:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Wonderful documentary, and may I add my thanks to those who posted that link as well as to the others who contributed additional information here about these historic gems. This is absolutely enthralling. My only regret is that I didn't understand the language for the background bits, especially about Desiree Clary and Napoleon. I hope that in the next installment, we get to hear the royal ladies of the Netherlands and Norway discussing their jewels as well.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:15 AM
Administrator

For Australian members

Part 1 will be shown on SBS, Christmas Day at 7.30pm

(The Queen's Christmas Message is on the ABC from 7.20 to 7.30 so there's a neat fit ).

-> Part 2 will be shown on SBS, New Year's Eve at 5.30pm

• • •
Old 12-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

The documentary reminds me abit of the one made afew years ago called "A Royal Family" about the decendents of the Grandfather of Europe - Christian IX. It had a similar format of interviews, historical photos and footage and I'm quite sure it was made by the same producers/TV company. I bought the book and the dvd (most of the interviews were in English anyway and English narration had been added on to the original) and so I wonder if De Kongelige Juveler might become available one day on dvd as well as the proposed book?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
The documentary reminds me abit of the one made afew years ago called "A Royal Family" about the decendents of the Grandfather of Europe - Christian IX. It had a similar format of interviews, historical photos and footage and I'm quite sure it was made by the same producers/TV company. I bought the book and the dvd (most of the interviews were in English anyway and English narration had been added on to the original) and so I wonder if De Kongelige Juveler might become available one day on dvd as well as the proposed book?
Yes one of the producers Anna von Lerche is the same as from "A Royal Family". Next year there will be a DVD and also a book accompaniying for the Series released.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Royal Highness

Any chance we could get a link to the Australian tv version? It'd be nice to hear the whole thing in English instead of just the interviews in the Danish version.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Administrator

It's certainly possible and I guess it depends on the "rebroadcasting" rights that come attached to the program.
The SBS website has an excellent video section - see here - where many programs are made available for a limited period (note that expiry dates range from 6 days to a month).
If the program doesn't appear in the main video list shortly after being broadcast (the Central Time Zone is 15 hours behind Sydney), the "catch up on last night" column on the right hand side looks promising.
If the video does appear here after Christmas Day, just hope you're not advised "this video is not available in your territory" when you click on it.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Just a reminder.

The second part of the documentary will be shown tonight on DR1 at 20.00.

You should be able to watch it live here: DR NU (You can actually test it by clicking the link now. If you can see anything, you are watching live TV).

If not, I'm sure Khxy19 will be looking for a new link for us.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Alexandrine shared her jewels between her two sons, 50 % for each.
We saw the fringe tiara from Queen Alexandrine and then shortly Countess Sussie who owns it. Queen Alexandrine had a wonderful sapphire tiara we did not see because it belongs to Princess Elisabeth.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Queen Alexandrine shared her jewels between her two sons, 50 % for each.
We saw the fringe tiara from Queen Alexandrine and then shortly Countess Sussie who owns it. Queen Alexandrine had a wonderful sapphire tiara we did not see because it belongs to Princess Elisabeth.
The sapphire tiara of Queen Alexandrine bellongs to Count Christian of Rosenbrog. The sapphire tiara of Ptrincess Elisabeth was gven to her by her mother who got it (or inherited) it from Princess Thyra (daughter of Frederik VIII.). Too bad that Queen Margrethe II. has no sapphire tiara to wear with her sapphire necklace which also belonged to Queen Alexandrine.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Count Ingolf has no children , Princess Elisabeth never married, Prince Christian has daughters .
Will these girls wear half of Queen Alexandrine jewels, give or sell them to the main Branch , or sell them in an Auction.
Stefan , are there rules about it ?
Old 12-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I watched the second part and it can only be described with one word:
Astonishing.

It was exclusively about the truly breathtaking Russian collection of which most have been lost.
It's my impression that modern royal collections are nothing but pale immitations compared to the Russian jewellery.
They were truly magnificent pieces of art and insanely expensive, just one step short of being vulgar.

To me, who know very little about jewellery, this second part was clearly much more interesting simply because of the captivating stories behind some of the pieces.
- Imagine forgetting you had stored a pretty large box of precious gemstones at Cartier!

A pity you couldn't see the second part live, Tilia.
But at least we know now that it will be only a matter of time before this second part is online as well. - And you've got something to look forward to!