"Charles and Camilla: Whatever Love Means" (2005) - Granada Telemovie

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dakodas

Aristocracy
City
Washington
Country
United States
Has it been on our ITV here already? I hope I haven't missed it. I'm desperate to see it - at last, a nice drama about Charles and Camilla!

I don't think it has already been shown, i haven't seen it discussed in any of the newspapers so i don't think we have missed it. I am still undecided if i am going to watch it, especially after the dreadful one about Princess Margaret. Too many royal documantarys are fiction based around few known facts but covered in the media beforehand to make people believe that the whole documentary is true.

I refused to watch the Princess Margaret one. So I can't comment or say it was bad because I didn't see it. That was Mary Whitehouse's biggest flaw - she complained and ranted but when someone said, "Did you watch it?", she foolishly admitted to not having watched it at all.

BeatrixFan said:
I refused to watch the Princess Margaret one. So I can't comment or say it was bad because I didn't see it. That was Mary Whitehouse's biggest flaw - she complained and ranted but when someone said, "Did you watch it?", she foolishly admitted to not having watched it at all.

Count me in her group then :eek: I watched the first little bit but decided i couldn't bear to watch any more.

Well, watching a little bit and deciding you can't watch anymore is fine and you're justified in not liking it and switching off - but she didn't make an attempt to watch a tiny bit. If she heard that a programme contained nudity or swearing she just boycotted it. It worked in reverse of course, when she said don't watch it the programme got through the roof viewing figures. Apparantly, my Great-Great Grandmother used to say, "There's this programme and Mary Whitehouse has said we're not to watch it so we will 'cos there's bound to be a bit of sex in it"

Amy said:
Count me in her group then :eek: I watched the first little bit but decided i couldn't bear to watch any more.

I watched it all:eek: , I felt sorry for the Queen, Prince Philip and the rest of her family. It gave an absolutely terrible portrayal of her.

The Charles and Camilla one is for our 'delectation over the festive period':)

Skydragon said:
I watched it all:eek: , I felt sorry for the Queen, Prince Philip and the rest of her family. It gave an absolutely terrible portrayal of her.

The Charles and Camilla one is for our 'delectation over the festive period':)

So did i. I think they should be allowed to control more media around them, not newspapers and magazines and you can never truly control those but with something like a television documentary they should be allowed to stop the ones airing that are fictional and damaging.

Amy said:
So did i. I think they should be allowed to control more media around them, not newspapers and magazines and you can never truly control those but with something like a television documentary they should be allowed to stop the ones airing that are fictional and damaging.

Yes it should all have to be ok'd by the people directly affected!:)

The Princess Margaret drama reminded me of a sketch that Monty Python did . Graham Chapman was dressed as Mary Whitehouse and he said in a high pitched yelp, "I object to all this sex on the television. I keep falling off".

ill take a look if I Have the channel

In Britain though, do they have the power to control television shows such as that?

Not any more. I posted this about theatre shows, but it was the same for TV

Until 1967, every TV, Radio and Theatre Show had to be previewed by the Lord Chamberlain. He had the power to remove sections and parts that were seen as unfit for the general public. He also had a duty to 'protect the Queen's Majesty'. For example, Joe Orton's plays were usually refused the Lord Chamberlain's approval which meant that if they attempted to put them on stage or on TV, they had broken the law and could be arrested. The Lord Chamberlain lost that privelage in 1967 when a general can of worms opened and nudity etc were seen as being acceptable on stage.

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
Not any more. I posted this about theatre shows, but it was the same for TV

Until 1967, every TV, Radio and Theatre Show had to be previewed by the Lord Chamberlain. He had the power to remove sections and parts that were seen as unfit for the general public. He also had a duty to 'protect the Queen's Majesty'. For example, Joe Orton's plays were usually refused the Lord Chamberlain's approval which meant that if they attempted to put them on stage or on TV, they had broken the law and could be arrested. The Lord Chamberlain lost that privelage in 1967 when a general can of worms opened and nudity etc were seen as being acceptable on stage.

Good heavens, I never knew that, still in '67, I was a bit busy!:D

Good heavens, I never knew that, still in '67, I was a bit busy!

Kenneth Williams used to tell a story about when he was in a Joe Orton play and he had to say a line which was absolute filth and had been cut by the Lord Chamberlain and the Lord Chamberlain sent a representative to the Theatre with 10 policemen. The representative said, "If you say those lines, you'll all be arrested". And in the end, the show was cancelled.

It will premier in the US on saturday on the WE channel. The whole day will be devoted to royalty. There will be progams and the young and sexy royals and Dianas dresses and many more. It will be topped of with whatever love means at 8 pm ET.

Princejonnhy25 said:
It will premier in the US on saturday on the WE channel. The whole day will be devoted to royalty. There will be progams and the young and sexy royals and Dianas dresses and many more. It will be topped of with whatever love means at 8 pm ET.
Thanks so much for the info. I'll have to go and get an 8 hr tape so that I can tape it and watch the entire day later on. Even for the Royals, I won't miss Christmas Decorating Day!!!:p

dakodas said:
It came on at 3am here but it is the premiere-not Saturday as the WE homepage says. Diana lovers be warned-she is portrayed as simpering and simple. It is on WE right now. Here is a link for those who would like to see it. I am also including a link for the video, for those of you who do not get WE. It will not ship until January.
http://we.tv/article?CID=key%3D655%26tzOffset%3D0
http://www.newvideo.com/productdetail.html?productid=NV-NVG-9790

I caught this movie by mistake late last night and my heavens... there are no words to describe it. Put it this way, I wasted two hours of my life last night watching this program.

The way the actors portray Charles, Camilla, and Diana (especially) is quite grotesque. I found myself having little to no sympathy for all three; basically, if this movie were to be 100% true to the "T" I would simply have no resapect for either party today and could only think "Karma is a ____."

Watch the movie for yourself and you decide.

edited for, as usual, spelling.

Last edited:
i wanted watch that ROYALS movies! but we have no dish channels! but my mom removed that! but i wanted that dish channels for watch WE television but i never watch that WE television! but i would get Dish channels when i got married but im not sure when! i wanted to rid from my mom! but i like to watch PPV and anythings!

I haven't watched any of the based on life movies - just the previews make them look like parodies.

First there was the fairy tale one of Charles and Diana right after they got married and there was so much sugar, you risked diabetes or tooth decay just from watching it. They kept playing over the proposal scene in the previews and I just wanted to barf (or get an insulin shot).

Then there was the follow up a few years later and Olivia deHavilland, although she is a great actress, I just couldn't watch her play the Queen Mother. I think Catherine Oxenberg was in that one. It wasn't quite so sweet but looked equally insipid.

Then there was one about Andrew and Fergie; it looked even worse.

Then there was one about Andrew and Fergie; it looked even worse.

Was that the one that Daniel Chatto was in ;)

Princejonnhy25 said:
The actual premiere was at 3am eastern standard time early Friday morning. I caught it then.

I didn't get to see it at 3, but it's on again Saturday night at least twice. I'm probably going to watch it to see how it is. How was it?

BeccaLynn07 said:
I didn't get to see it at 3, but it's on again Saturday night at least twice. I'm probably going to watch it to see how it is. How was it?
A trainwreck-the proverbial one you can't take your eyes off. Caricatures not characters. Camilla actually comes out of it looking the best. She resists Charles (alas unsuccessfully) once she is married. She refuses to allow Charles to entertain marrying her. She finds him a suitable wife even though it hurts her. The movie ends with Charles and Diana's marriage.

Last edited:
dakodas said:
A trainwreck-the proverbial one you can't take your eyes off. Caricatures not characters. Camilla actually comes out of it looking the best. She resists Charles (alas unsuccessfully) once she is married. She refuses to allow Charles to entertain marrying her. She finds him a suitable wife even though it hurts her. The movie ends with Charles and Diana's amrriage.

Hmm..interesting. Thanks for telling me a little about it. I'm a little surprised it would end with the marriage of him and Diana. I was expecting it to end with his marriage to Camilla for some reason...or something other than his marriage to Diana.

The movie was not bad. It was actually the best dramatization ever made about the British royal family. It was not nearly as corny as all the others I've seen. The guy who played Charles and the woman who played Camilla were both really good actors. But there were some bits that were really cheesy, of course. I detested the way his parents were portrayed, so one-dimensional. I give it three stars.:)

I liked it actually. It was touching. Of coarse there were some typicall corny royal movie moments but otherwise it was good. It showed a side of the young royals not shown as often. It showed Annes role more. They were young and partyed and did what young people did at that time. Then they grew and the problems started. Charles and Camilla were really in love and there love didnt die away like they believed. The ending was sad. Both of them getting ready to attend the wedding. It should have been there wedding but you cant change history. You move on and accept it. I thought Camilla came out the best in the movie. Who is the actress the played her. She looks so familiar.

Back
Top Bottom