British Royal Family: Documentaries, DVDs, Films and TV shows

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm, I forgot to watch it, though I intended to turn on German tv. Must have been too busy studying (which is really weird, me studying). :p I didn't miss much, I believe... :eek:

ysbel said:
Thanks for the clarification, Jo. I must say I was a little skeptical with their pairing of Jackie O and Maria Callas.

Maria Callas' affair with Ari started during his first marriage with Athina Onassis so Athina was her main rival. I don't remember Callas being involved with Onassis by the time he married Jackie.

You are incorrect. It almost killed Callas when he maried Jackie. She was very jealous. But as Jackie and Ari grew apart he returned to the lover who waited for him and truly loved him.

Yes. I read that about Callas too. She was jealous and demanding too. But I also read that Ari was quite inconsiderate with the woman in his life, is that right?

Lillia said:
Yes. I read that about Callas too. She was jealous and demanding too. But I also read that Ari was quite inconsiderate with the woman in his life, is that right?

Yes and No. Depended on his mood or what he needed. He was wonderful to Callas in the beginning of their relationship, but never ventured near the word marriage. She accepted that and then, to her, out of the blue, he marries Jackie Kennedy. In between, he other affairs, including Jackie's sister, Lee Radzwill. He cared about Jackie and she did about him in the beginning, it wasn't just for money, but circumstances changed and when his beloved son was killed in an airplane crash, he really lost his will for most things. Callas loved him to the end and was there for him.

redfox6 said:
You are incorrect. It almost killed Callas when he maried Jackie. She was very jealous. But as Jackie and Ari grew apart he returned to the lover who waited for him and truly loved him.

No, not really redfox. Maria and Ari were over before Jackie came into the picture. Mutual friends said that Ari couldn't understand why Maria needed to still sing opera to the public when he had all the money in the world to provide for her. He didn't understand that as a performer and a true artist, she needed a steady dose adulation from an appreciative audience. He thought his appreciation and love was enough. It was a bone of contention between the two and his eye started to wander.

You're right, it did kill her when he married Jackie because she never stopped loving him. She said something like "First I lost my voice, then I lost my body, then I lost my lover" This was nonsense though, she still had an incredible voice later on. My father went to see her late in her career and said she was best opera soprano he'd ever heard.

Her meetings with Ari though later were not like when they were lovers before. Ari was truly distraught at his son's death and the thought that he wouldn't have a son to leave his empire. In his later life, he became a mere shell of the man that he had once been - cantakerous and faultfinding, no one could bear to be with him much less Jackie who was going into her own life.

I think if Maria Callas had a rival, it had to be Athina Onassis who had had two children by Ari. Ari's affairs with women but especially with Maria doomed that marriage. That's where the real fighting over the same man happened. It would have been a more interesting segment to the program IMO than Jackie vs. Maria.

ysbel said:
No, not really redfox. Maria and Ari were over before Jackie came into the picture. Mutual friends said that Ari couldn't understand why Maria needed to still sing opera to the public when he had all the money in the world to provide for her. He didn't understand that as a performer and a true artist, she needed a steady dose adulation from an appreciative audience. He thought his appreciation and love was enough. It was a bone of contention between the two and his eye started to wander.

You're right, it did kill her when he married Jackie because she never stopped loving him. She said something like "First I lost my voice, then I lost my body, then I lost my lover" This was nonsense though, she still had an incredible voice later on. My father went to see her late in her career and said she was best opera soprano he'd ever heard.

Her meetings with Ari though later were not like when they were lovers before. Ari was truly distraught at his son's death and the thought that he wouldn't have a son to leave his empire. In his later life, he became a mere shell of the man that he had once been - cantakerous and faultfinding, no one could bear to be with him much less Jackie who was going into her own life.

I think if Maria Callas had a rival, it had to be Athina Onassis who had had two children by Ari. Ari's affairs with women but especially with Maria doomed that marriage. That's where the real fighting over the same man happened. It would have been a more interesting segment to the program IMO than Jackie vs. Maria.

You are correct. They were considerably older when Jackie was around. You father was partially correct. She had a great dramatic talent, but her voice sometimes was not as good as others of her ilk. She had phenonmenal stage presence. No one like her since. After his son's death he devoloped Myasthina Gravis and, of course, his great grief, definitely killed him. Tina Onassis and Callas would have interesting, too.

Funeral of HM The Late Queen Mother of Britain

I just wonder if anyone out there could please help me in getting a DVD/VHS covering the funeral of British Queen Mother as well as the one for the late Prince Rainier of Monaco.Someone from London recently indicated to me that there was a four hour video released in Canada of the CBC/ITV coverage, but it was apparently withdrawn because of copyright problems. My only hope is to find somebody who recorded it from the TV. It was also said to have been shown in Australia.

Anyone prepared to come to my rescue, would do well to give me the total costs including shipping for these items to South Africa

The Queen at 80 a BBC America special

Tonight, 7pm EST 4pm PST, BBC America will present a new documentary about Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/movies_specials/the_queen_at_80/the_queen_at_80.jsp

This two hour program analyzes the life of the Queen with all new interviews and the like.

Perhaps after the program we can discuss your thoughts and concerns about it within this thread.

:)

Well, of course we've had it already over here. Those of you who have seen, "Queen and Country", the four-hour series for the Jubilee, you'll be disappointed as this was basically a re-hash of that with a new voice over and a few more close-ups of the Queen. On the bright side, we did hear the Queen talking more and it was quite enjoyable. Then again, I watched it at a time when every channel was showing some kind of Royal documentary so I may have been over-queened.

Thanks BeatrixFan, for the heads up.:)

I haven't had the chance to see Queen and Country, so for me this BBC America special is new.

Nonetheless, I am looking forward to watching this special.

I think you'll enjoy it. It's well done and as I said, I think I was just a little worn out with the documentaries at the time!

I thoroughly enjoyed it; we don't get so many things about the royals here, so I try to watch every one that I hear about. Her Majesty has always been a favorite of mine, and it was really fun to see her personality pop out in several of the scenes. It was also nice to see something where the Diana thing wasn't rehashed endlessly. The other night there was a special on William and Harry that would more correctly have been called Diana's Life and Times. No disrespect to the many loyal Diana fans, but I do like to see new things, and that one was a lot of old films spliced together, and didn't do any of the subjects justice.

i have bbc america on the television so i would get watch that show!

I saw this last night.

It was great. Queen Elizabeth II's first broadcast when she was still a little princess during World War II was so cute.

I watched both times it was shown on Saturday...and taped it once.

As others have mentioned, much of the footage was that same that has been used over and over and over again in other documentaries. However, I loved the "home" movies of her wedding, the coronation, and with baby Prince Charles.

I have to agree, I very much enjoyed this show. I felt it gave good insight into the life of the Queen, and I wish it had been longer.

BeatrixFan said:
Well, of course we've had it already over here. Those of you who have seen, "Queen and Country", the four-hour series for the Jubilee, you'll be disappointed as this was basically a re-hash of that with a new voice over and a few more close-ups of the Queen. On the bright side, we did hear the Queen talking more and it was quite enjoyable. Then again, I watched it at a time when every channel was showing some kind of Royal documentary so I may have been over-queened.

It is impossible to be "over-queened." :flowers:

Oh hunnie, I lived in Brighton for 6 months and I was definately over-queened then.

Royal Treatment Weekend on WE

WE channel, the Women's Entertainment Network, is hosting a "Royal Treatment Weekend," airing this weekend, starting Friday, December 1. They will be showing "Secrets of the Royal Kitchen," "The Madness of Prince Charles," "You Had to be There: The Royal Wedding," "Charles and Camilla: Whatever Love Means," and "Diana: Her True Story."

As far as I know, WE is only broadcast in the US, and maybe Canada. And of course, they will be focusing on the family most known in the US, the British Royal Family. :ermm:

"Secrets of the Royal Kitchen" is about, well, the secrets of the royal kitchen. Former Royal Chef Graham Newbould talks about what happens in the kitchens of Her Majesty QEII's palaces when it is time for dinner, lunch, breakfast, or dessert. He also shows what it takes to cook for one, two, or two hundred, when those two or two hundred happen to be royals.

"The Madness of Prince Charles" is about HRH the Prince of Wales. It is not saying he is crazy, no, but it is merely exploring his more unusual and unconventional ideas, including organic agriculture, holistic medicine, and spiritual beliefs. It is all about the ideas of the man who has waited half a century to become king.

"You had to Be There: The Royal Wedding" has been aired previously, but is an excellant program, with interviews with friends, servants, fans, and people who were there. It tells things that I didn't know, and presents them well, using a lot of actual footage and photos. I would highly recommmend it.

"Charles and Camilla: Whatever Love Means" appears to be a movie, depicting the couple's love, courtship, and finally, happy ending.

"Diana: Her True Story" doesn't give too much info- either a documentary or a movie, but I think, if it was a movie, it'd probably say so, so I think it's a documentary.

Here is the link to the WE website page about the "Royal Treatment Weekend."
http://www.we.tv/article?CID=key%3D803%26tzOffset%3D0

While you are there, check out the "Singles Reign" gallery at the bottom of the page. It's kind of funny- on the intro page to the gallery, they still have Prince Felipe. However, they have removed him from the gallery itself. However, they are missing Guillaume. :ermm: I think they hadn't changed the page too much from several years ago when they ran a royal bachelors program (long before the engagements of Mary and Letizia, maybe even Haakon)

LadyK said:
While you are there, check out the "Singles Reign" gallery at the bottom of the page. It's kind of funny- on the intro page to the gallery, they still have Prince Felipe. However, they have removed him from the gallery itself. However, they are missing Guillaume. :ermm: I think they hadn't changed the page too much from several years ago when they ran a royal bachelors program (long before the engagements of Mary and Letizia, maybe even Haakon)

I remember watching that program about a year ago, before I was interested in most of the modern-day royals, and it was a really interesting show, and now that I know who all of these handsome young royal men are (eligible or not :lol:) I really want to see it again. Are they going to be playing it too?

BTW, the gallery makes a GLARING error on CP Victoria's page, where it says she is the "ONLY FEMALE in line to the throne of one of the world's 29 monarchies" which is clearly not true. She's the only female who's first in line, but not the only female in line :ermm: Silly WE.

I don't think so. It didn't list it, since it (the one I remember watching) is now hopelessly out of date. (They can no longer speculate whether Fred or Felipe will get married first, can they? hehe) However, it was a very good overview on this generation of royals, so I wish they would air a program like it. It is WE, so they could show one about royal weddings or the royal baby boom of the last five years. Maybe I'll send them an email...... ;)

The WE network is re-airing the same exact program from years past. It's funny to see how sloppy they are when it comes to updating their programs. Nonetheless, their royal programs are just okay for those who are unfamiliar with monarchies.

I might watch even though I've seen it a hundred times before.

tiaraprin said:
I put this in Princess Diana by accident--ignore that one. Here is where it belongs:

In the USA, Larry King brought together a panel of guests to discuss the British Royals on the eve of Prince William's 22nd birthday. On the panel were Robert Lacey, author of many books on British Royals; Harold Brooks-Baker, publisher of Burke's Peerage; Dickie Arbiter, former member of Charles' staff; and Simon Perry, editor of People magazine.

Among topics discussed were: William's future marriage; Charles and Camilla getting married??; Is Camilla ill?

The panel agreed that they believe William will get married around the age of 30, possibly before his father did at 32. They did not discuss Kate Middleton, but discussed how they believe William will search for his life partner. The discussed compatibility and William's innate caution, especially in light of his parents' marital breakdown.

They were split on whether Charles and Camilla will ever marry. Some say they are waiting for the right time, others say they will just remain as they are. It was discussed that Prince Charles is ruining his and the monarchy's image by leaving the question open and that his relationship with Camilla should be "regularized". Also discussed was the British people's lukewarm acceptance of Camilla and their desire not to see her as Princess of Wales then Queen.

They all concurred that Camilla is not seriously ill. She has some minor malady that is not life threatening. Harold Brooks-Baker spoke to Camilla's friends directly and they all told him she is fine. He says he believes them.

Pictures of Harry were shown and all reported that Harry is doing superb!! They also showed William in his water polo "uniform"

I wonder if anyone else saw the program and what are your opinions of what was said??
Sarah Ferguson,Duchess of York was interviewed by Larry King a few years back.

Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Cate Blanchett resumes her role as Elizabeth I, i cant wait to see it!

Virgin queen and love triangle with Sir Walter

Putting matters of state before affairs of the heart earned Elizabeth I the title of the Virgin Queen
However, a Hollywood film is about to claim that she was so in love with Sir Walter Raleigh that she had one of her ladies-in-waiting seduce him so she could live out her own sexual fantasies.
Elizabeth The Golden Age will claim that an infatuated Queen Elizabeth, played by Cate Blanchett, longed for a physical relationship with Raleigh, played by Clive Owen, but held back for fear of losing her crown. Instead, she engineered a relationship between Raleigh and her close confidante Elizabeth "Bess" Throckmorton so she could enjoy a love affair by proxy.

Virgin queen and love triangle with Sir Walter | Uk News | News | Telegraph

I am hanging to see this continuation like you would not believe!!!

Looks pretty cool ! Helen Mirren played Elizabeth I in a TV film before starring in The Queen for Stephen Frears, didn't she ?

Elizabeth I was made for TV

Looks pretty cool ! Helen Mirren played Elizabeth I in a TV film before starring in The Queen for Stephen Frears, didn't she ?

Yes.
Elizabeth I (2005) (TV)
I believe she is credited for being the first actress to play both Queen Elizabeths (regnant) of England. It was a co-production from HBO (US) and I'm not sure which UK network (sorry--not BBC but not sure if it was Granada, Channel 4 or another group). The DVD is available for region 1 (US) but I'm sure it's in other formats by now, may want to check Amazon or other sites. It is definitely drool-worthy for the costumes alone and the performances.

The Young Victoria

The Young Victoria (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Martin Scorsese to Produce The Young Victoria

:w00t2:

Looks really promising! The cast looks great! Jim Broadbent, Miranda Richardson and Paul Bettany. I don't know who Emily Blunt is, but hopefully she lives up to the standards of Victoria Hamilton in the 2001 miniseries. I'm kind of disappointed that Rupert Friend is playing Prince Albert; I don't care for him very much. I'd rather Jonathan Firth reprise his role :wub:

Princess Beatrice is also going to make a cameo. I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie! It's been a while since there was a big screen flick about more distant royals!

Back
Top Bottom