British Royal Family: Documentaries, DVDs, Films and TV shows

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Queen's father

Not sure where to put this other than here ...I just saw an excellent documentary 'King George VI: The Man Behind the King's Speech'

Tons of old footage of the King and his life...and quite a bit about QEII. Tons of info given.

I got a copy from Netflix but it might be available elsewhere.

LaRae

Barnes and Noble carries King George VI: The Man Behind the King's Speech.

On Tour With The Queen documentary

A major four-part series broadcast on UK television on Channel 4 in 2009. The series retraces the journey taken by Queen Elizabeth II on her Coronation Tour of the Commonwealth in 1953-4.
It is presented by the actor and playwright Kwame Kwei-Armah]who visits 11 countries across 5 continents.

I really wants to watch episode 03 of this documentary, which is covered the Queen's visit of Ceylon in 1954. Please help me to find this episode.

In 2014 Channel 4 removed all its full length programmes from YouTube including presumably its TV series. So unless someone on Twitter has it (you could appeal and see if someone somewhere recorded The Queen on Tour series and has an episode to lend,) that resource is gone.

However Channel 4 did explain why it did so, and also pointed to other outlets here.

Channel 4 removes full-length programmes from YouTube - BBC Newsbeat

New docu-drama about Queen Elizabeth I

New docu-drama about Queen Elizabeth I from Channel 5 - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

A new docu-drama about Queen Elizabeth I will contrast the monarch's point of view with those of her enemies, Channel 5 has announced.

The three-part history series Elizabeth I will feature duelling narratives as well as dramatic reconstructions in which three different actors will play the Tudor monarch at different stages in her life, from a young princess to a newly-crowned Queen and an ageing survivor.

As much it sounds interesting, I really am tired of movies, tv shows etc about the same people (you know who I mean: Tudors, Victoria, George VI, Edward and Wallis, even Elizabeth II). :sleep:

Yes, I agree. I think Henry VIII and Elizabeth I in particular have been done to death on the small screen, along with Queen Victoria.

Agree about the tudors..& Q Vic...
but I woudn't want to see anyting about the Georges, an awful bunch. However I think that in a way we DONT see enough about the Queen. A good drama about her life, frank and honestly written would be great but mabye not til she passes on...

New docu-drama about Queen Elizabeth I from Channel 5 - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

A new docu-drama about Queen Elizabeth I will contrast the monarch's point of view with those of her enemies, Channel 5 has announced.

The three-part history series Elizabeth I will feature duelling narratives as well as dramatic reconstructions in which three different actors will play the Tudor monarch at different stages in her life, from a young princess to a newly-crowned Queen and an ageing survivor.

As much it sounds interesting, I really am tired of movies, tv shows etc about the same people (you know who I mean: Tudors, Victoria, George VI, Edward and Wallis, even Elizabeth II). :sleep:

I'd actually like to see more of the Stuarts on the big (or small) screen. Perhaps Charles I and the events leading to his execution, or James II being overthrown by his nephew and son-in-law, William of Orange.

Last edited:
lucy worsley is really great and engaging! i recommend anything by her. :)

It's amazing to think Catherine received her Gold Award from Prince Philip at St. James's Palace 20 years ago. She had no idea years later he would become her grandfather-in-law and great grandfather to her children. I'm glad she is being a knowledge as a Gold Award recipient, because this really didn't get any attention in the past.

I doubt that she received her gold award '20 years ago' at all. You have to be 14 to begin the Bronze Award and to complete the Gold Award takes a year of consistent effort and 18 months extra if there is no Silver Award already in place. You can't even start the Gold Award until you are 16 so your can't get it until you are at least 17 and if you don't have a Silver Award at least 17.5.

The earliest the Kate could have received the Gold Award is thus no more than 17 years ago - if she has the earlier two levels but as usual the press reports things about Kate without checking facts.

That she did the award I am not questioning but getting the gold award 20 years ago - when 14 - is impossible as she was three years too young for that award.

I doubt that she received her gold award '20 years ago' at all. You have to be 14 to begin the Bronze Award and to complete the Gold Award takes a year of consistent effort and 18 months extra if there is no Silver Award already in place. You can't even start the Gold Award until you are 16 so your can't get it until you are at least 17 and if you don't have a Silver Award at least 17.5.

The earliest the Kate could have received the Gold Award is thus no more than 17 years ago - if she has the earlier two levels but as usual the press reports things about Kate without checking facts.

That she did the award I am not questioning but getting the gold award 20 years ago - when 14 - is impossible as she was three years too young for that award.

I think there was a press release of Catherine's Gold Award-
Duchess Kate: Kate Recalls Memories as Duke of Edinburgh's Award Celebrate's 60th Anniversary!

Good for her getting the awards. I wanted to participate when I learned about the program, but was too old to do so at the time.

Last edited:
Oh I'm really looking forward to this drama - Hugh Bonneville is great!

Thanks for posting this as I had forgotten all about it and am looking forward to it.

There is nothing in this documentary, that we haven't heard before.

Back
Top Bottom