British Royal Family: Documentaries, DVDs, Films and TV shows

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I think about the Duke of Edinburgh, a lot of words come to mind. Here is a man that for the past 60 years of his life has (as some would say) relegated to one step behind his wife and Queen. He has basically taken his position in the marriage and turned it into an example that should this situation in the future arise, many would be wise to take lessons from him. It is well known that Philip follows HM in all things royal and protocol wise but not many realize that when it comes to the "Firm", its Philip that definitely rules the roost. He's the head of the Way Ahead committee (a group of senior family members and their advisors) and most probably has had as much effect on how the BRF has been presented to the public as anyone if not more so. Over the years he's become well known for his "gaffes". I have to admit that at first, it just seemed to me that when least expected, something politically incorrect would pop out of his mouth. As I grew to "know" this man, I think in a way its one of the endearing ways he balances out the Queen. She must be at all times regal, staid and the up most in dignity and with Philip by her side popping out something outrageous and witty, I think perhaps it not only relaxes HM, but gives her a "Oh Philip!!" moment and its gives the both of them a more human aura.

One of the more humorous stories I've heard about this couple comes from a time long gone while they were at Balmoral. I don't remember it verbatim but it seems the both of them got into some kind of tiff while driving on the estate and Philip roared that if she didn't stop, she was going to have to get out and walk. Later the person who was with them (and recounted the story) asked her why did she go quiet? After all.. she IS the Queen. HM simply replied "I didn't want to walk".

Although history will remember the reign of Elizabeth II as one of the most beloved Queens in British history, I do think that as Victoria had her Albert, it will also be remembered that Elizabeth had her Philip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although history will remember the reign of Elizabeth II as one of the most beloved Queens in British history, I do think that as Victoria had her Albert, it will also be remembered that Elizabeth had her Philip.

Very nicely said. I concur.

Hi Artemisia..
First off all, welcome to the forum, vkrish, and thank you very much for the kind words. :flowers:

Personally, I've always regarded Prince Philip as an epitome of duty, a man without whom the Queen would not have been able (in my opinion) to serve her country with the same devotion she does now. He is a perfect Consort, a man who knows his place in public (as you said, always three steps behind his wife), yet is undoubtedly the head of family in private.

He never abided by rules or let conventions (such as political correctness) rule his life: Philip is who he has always been, and he won't let anyone change that. His comments or "gaffes" are usually tongue-in-cheek and not offensive at all. True, some could be interpreted in a negative way, but the same can be said even about the most innocuous phrases.

There was a time (especially in the aftermath of Diana's death and all the conspiracy theories that thrived afterwards) when the Duke of Edinburgh was not, to put it mildly, the most popular member of the Royal Family. He was called all sorts of names. Nowadays, however, most British people seem to like him immensely and regard as something of a national treasure. The older he gets, the more people appreciate his dedication and hard work. Not to mention, a lot are coming to a realisation that Philip is truly the Queen's rock.

@ Osipi
I just read your post, and agree with every word. They say that behind every great man there's a great woman. Well, it works the other way too: behind every great woman, there is a great man. The Queen is truly loved by most of her people, and I think they appreciate the immense support and loyalty Prince Philip has shown throughout Her Majesty's reign.

Thank you Artemisia and Osipi for your nice responses..Lets hope the media and people will start appreciating Prince Philip's role in the "reign" they celebrate so much..I cant wait for "history" to do it, though..lolz

When HM became queen she basically gave the job of running their personal family to Philip so that she could concentrate on her job. He ran all their private estates etc. and made the decisions on education ect. They are a true team.

Sophie Winkleman [Lady Frederick Windsor] "First Love" Documentary

I don't know if this was already posted but I just watched this documentary on Sophie Winkleman (Lady Frederick Windsor) talking about her first love...Opera. Here you can watch her prepare to make her first Opera debut and I think this doc really let you in on who she really is and how her interest in Opera inspires her.

Sophie Winkleman First Love Part 1.wmv - YouTube

Sophie Winkleman First Love Part 2.wmv - YouTube

Sophie Winkleman First Love Part 3.wmv - YouTube

Sophie Winkleman First Love Part 4.wmv - YouTube

The Making Of A Monarchy For The Modern World" (2012) YouTube video

On June 6, 2012, an important three-day conference began at Kensington Palace in London. Scholars from around the world, including Harvard University Professor Maya Jasanoff and Princeton University Professor Sir David Cannadine, gathered to discuss the, “... British monarchy and its relationship to the modern world.”

The making of a monarchy for the modern world 2012 - YouTube

Chaired by Michael Day (Chief Executive, HRP) and Lucy Worsley (Chief Curator, HRP) - Professor Sir David Cannadine (Princeton University) opening the conference:

"When did the British Monarchy become a constitutional monarchy?"

Forgive me if this been posted already.

"Queen & Country" (2012) PBS series: traditions and institutions of the Monarchy

In the wake of the celebration of Queen Elizabeth II's 60 years as British monarch, Trevor McDonald’s Queen & Country offers viewers a look at the customs surrounding the monarchy – from the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace to the queen’s royal visits – and a glimpse of the greatest historic royal places.

Episode-1: London: Royal City-
Video: London: Royal City | Watch Queen & Country Online | PBS Video

Episode-2: Royal Visit-
Video: Royal Visit | Watch Queen & Country Online | PBS Video

Episode-3: The Queen's Possessions-
Video: The Queen's Possessions | Watch Queen & Country Online | PBS Video

Episode-4: Traveller-
Video: Traveller | Watch Queen & Country Online | PBS Video

Queen & Country | Watch Online | PBS Video

"Our Diamond Queen" (December 2012) Sky 1 Documentary

Our Diamond Queen:

New. Join Sky News' royal commentator Alastair Bruce OBE as he looks back over the events of a truly extraordinary year for the royal family.

Sun16 Dec, 7:30pm Sky1 +1

Mon17 Dec, 9pm PICK TV

Mon17 Dec, 10pm PICK TV+1

Thu20 Dec, 8pm Sky1

Thu20 Dec, 9pm Sky1 +1

Sky Guide TV Listings - Sky

Many thanks for this info, Dman. I think I'll have to get my Sky+ set to record the series.

"Serving the Royals: Inside the Firm" CBC Doc Zone 2013 Program

Serving the Royals: Inside the Firm:
Curtin, director of After Elizabeth II: Monarchy in Peril and Chasing the Royals, reveals a fascinating world behind the palace doors, where staff works long hours for low pay. From nannies and butlers to chefs, footmen, body guards and private secretaries, round the clock they labour, often thanklessly, to keep the monarchy humming.

Serving the Royals: Inside the Firm will air on CBC on Thursday, Jan. 17 at 9 p.m. and again on CBC News Network on Saturday, January 19, at 11 p.m.

CBC - Doc Zone - Episode - Serving the Royals: Inside the Firm

Preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dB4hXD4bceE

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/article/1315102--the-royals-a-servant-fit-for-a-king

Last edited:
I don't think this is airing in the US. There is always YouTube!

There was a documentary on CBC News Network's "The Passionate Eye" in Canada tonight called "The Queen's Mother-In-Law". It documented the life of Princess Alice of Greece and was quite well done. For those it Canada, it will be rebroadcast Sunday, January 27 at 8 PM ET. After the second broadcast, documentaries are usually available on the CBC website.

CBC - The Passionate Eye - Episode - The Queen's Mother-In-Law

"The Audience" (2013) London play about Elizabeth II and her Prime Ministers

Dame Helen Mirren is the Queen once more: Actress recreates role for new play | Mail Online

The play examines the Queen’s relationship with her Prime Ministers during the weekly audiences held every Tuesday at Buckingham Palace throughout her reign.

’It’s more like therapy than state business at times,' said Robert Fox, one of the play’s three producers. ‘She’s like the psychiatrist in chief,' he added.
‘The play’s about someone who has been around for 60 years and has seen everything and in the end nothing really changes. It’s the same thing over and over again.

'There’s the similarities between Suez and Iraq .She’s seen it all and what’s kind of fascinating is that they (the Prime Ministers) come and make a lot of noise and bluster and they’re gone, then it’s somebody else. And she’s had twelve of them’.

"The Windsors: A Royal Family" 2002 Documentary

A revealing look at four generations of Windsors.

Behind the pomp and pageantry of royalty is a family as compelling as it is renowned. This four-hour presentation is one of the most in-depth looks at Britain's royal family ever assembled. Spanning four generations — from the early 1900's and the reign of George V, through Diana's tragic death and a new millennium — "The Windsors: A Royal Family" is a mesmerizing retrospective highlighted by rare footage and revealing interviews with royal family members, friends, aides, historians, royal watchers, and others with intimate knowledge of the Windsors:

The Windsors: A Royal Family (1994)

The Windsors: A Royal Family (1994 / 2002)

:previous:
Thanks Dman :flowers:

BBC2013.jpg

The BBC Royal Collection DVD set

The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II
King George and Queen Mary: The Royals Who Rescued the Monarchy
Queen Victoria's Children
How to be a Prince
[William]
A replica 1953 Coronation booklet

The EIIR Coronation DVD and the VRI's Children DVD will also be
released for sale separately on the same date (21 May)

v The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II
> Queen Victoria's Children

Attachments

• EIIR.jpg
    EIIR.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 686
  • VRI.jpg
    VRI.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 576
The Audience broadcasts live on Thursday 13 June.
I'm actually leaving for London tomorrow night and will be seeing the Audience Thursday evening. Will be wonderful to see it again when I return.

Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor 3h
BBC doco "The Queen: A Passion for Horses" presented by Clare Balding shows monarch as she pursues dream to breed the ultimate racehorse.

Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor 3h
The Queen: A Passion For Horses will air on 27th May, 9pm on BBC One.

Last edited:
Will there ever be a way of watching this play? On TV or even on on dvd or something? It look Great and I would love to see it but i don't live in Lindon or not going there anytime soon. It also not playing anywhere near me.

Last edited:
Will there ever be a way of watching this play? On TV or even on on dvd or something? It look Great and I would love to see it but i don't live in Lindon or not going there anytime soon. It also not playing anywhere near me.

YouTube or DVD is the best bet.

Both Monarchy The Royal Family At Work Ana British Royal Weddings are available over at iTunes now.

Edward VIII: The Lion King- Channel 4: Tues May 28th-9pm UK

"Edward VIII is a maligned figure in recent British history, widely seen as the playboy prince who refused to conform to establishment rules, and remembered as the King who threw away the throne and turned his back on his country, all for the love of a twice-divorced American woman.

But newly released home movies shot in 1928 and 1930 by Edward himself tell an extraordinary story and show him in a new light.

The films reveal the untold story of his safaris in East Africa with the real life cast of Out of Africa, and his role in changing the future of African wildlife.

In the early part of the 20th century, safari meant hunting. When he arrived in the bush, Edward was shocked by the scale of the uncontrolled slaughter he encountered: elephants, rhinos, lions and leopards were being killed in their thousands.

He put down his gun, picked up a movie camera instead and led the first celebrity conservation campaign to protect African wildlife.

His legacy is the creation of the iconic Serengeti National Park - the jewel in the conservation crown - and the start of a royal tradition of supporting wildlife causes."

Edward VIII: The Lion King - Channel 4

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom