British Royal Family: Documentaries, DVDs, Films and TV shows

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Die Windsors - Triumpf und Tragödie

On 14. April 2009 ZDF will broadcast another royal serie. Its called "Die Windsors - Triumpf und Tragödie" (The Windsors - triumpf and tragedy). It will last 3 parts.

The broadcasting dates are:

14.04.2009, 20:15
Fluch des Erstgeborenen (Oath of the firstborn)

21.04.2009, 20:15
Schicksal der ewigen Thronfolger (Destiny of the eternal successors)

26.04.2009; 20:15
Schreckensjahre einer Königin (Horroryears of a queen)

http://www.wunschliste.de/links.pl?s=13612

ZDF Royal

:)

Vorschau: ZDFroyal am 14.04.2009
Die Windsors - Triumph und Tragödie (1/3)

Teil 2: Dienstag, 21.04.2009, 20:15 Uhr
Teil 3: Sonntag, 26.04.2009, 23:35 Uhr

Here are some videos about the ZDF serie "Ein Jahr mit der Königin" - (One year with the Queen)

Part 01: Die Windsors, Teil 1
Part 02: Die Windsors, Teil 2

Some informations about this serie:

General: ZDFroyal - ZDF.de
Part 01: ZDF.de - Hinter den Kulissen von Buckingham Palace
Part 02: ZDF.de - Die Königin und ihr Volk
Part 03: ZDF.de - Das Staatsoberhaupt
Part 04: ZDF.de - Im Auftrag Ihrer Majestät
A quiz about the Windsors: Quiz
Interviews: Hinter den Kulissen der Windsor-Dynastie
Picture gallery: Die Windsors - ein Leben für die Krone

Here are some information about the serie "Die Windsors - Triumph und Tragödie"

General: ZDFroyal - ZDF.de
Video about Part 01: Die Windsors, Teil 1
Video about Part 02: Der ewige Thronfolger
Video about Part 03: http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/content/Die_Windsors%2C_Teil_3/Sendungen_Z,392/730198

Gallery 01: Die Windsors - ein Leben für die Krone
Gallery 02: William und Kate
Making-of: ZDF.de - Die Queen aus Coburg
History from Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha to the Windsors: ZDF.de - Die deutschen Wurzeln der Windsors

Just watched a fascinating documentary on the National Geographic channel called "Britain's Nazi King?". It explores the Nazi sympathies of King Edward VIII, and the woman who would become his wife, Wallis Simpson.

The producers analyzed British intelligence and FBI records which have just been declassified. Edward was vehemently against the war with Germany, and threatened to tear up the Treaty of Versailles. The producers claim that Edward's love affair with the twice-divorced Simpson was not the entire reason behind his abdication.

Queen Mother Compilation

Archival footage of the late Queen Mother(courtesy ITN source) - the sound is muted on some clips because of copyright/ownership but it's still an excellent chronicle of her life in the British royal family.

Queen Mother Compilation

The BBC has commissioned Tiger Aspect Productions to make a one-off drama set against the backdrop of the 1981 marriage of Prince Charles and Lady Diana.

C21Media:

This would be a very interesting documentary to watch. Perhaps it'll show up on YouTube one day, which is probably the only way I'd get to see it.

In the meantime, here's a clip from the National Geographic site. http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/britain-s-nazi-king-4586/Overview#tab-Videos/07013_00

I suppose it's better for an abdicated monarch to be known for wanting to marry an unsuitable woman than to be known as a potential traitor. During the mid-30s, I doubt that very few actually wanted another war with Germany. However, not wanting a war and having a possible traitor on the throne are two different things entirely.

Do you know when these documents were declassified?

Thank you very much for the info, sgl.:flowers:

Just watched a fascinating documentary on the National Geographic channel called "Britain's Nazi King?". It explores the Nazi sympathies of King Edward VIII, and the woman who would become his wife, Wallis Simpson.

The producers analyzed British intelligence and FBI records which have just been declassified. Edward was vehemently against the war with Germany, and threatened to tear up the Treaty of Versailles. The producers claim that Edward's love affair with the twice-divorced Simpson was not the entire reason behind his abdication.

Last edited:
This would be a very interesting documentary to watch. Perhaps it'll show up on YouTube one day, which is probably the only way I'd get to see it.:flowers:
This was also shown on Channel 5. July 16th 2009, I believe it was a repeat. :flowers:
The historical documentary series continues. Edward VIII is popularly remembered as the king who gave up the throne for the woman he loved. Yet his reputation has been tarnished by revelations that Hitler planned to install him as a pro-Nazi king in the event of a German occupation of Britain. Newly released FBI files reveal the extent to which Edward was distrusted by the British and US governments, and the risk he posed to the war effort

Britain's Nazi King - Revealed - TV pick of the day for July 16th

This would be a very interesting documentary to watch... Do you know when these documents were declassified?
I can't remember the exact year. For some reason, I think it was 2004. It was definitely within this decade. The documentary states the year, but my husband accidentally deleted it from our TiVo:bang:. I'm hoping that it will air again, as it was an excellent documentary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 'Britain's Nazi King' documentary, along with several others. Does anyone have any of the Channel 4 documentaries from the last few years? ie.
The Queen Mother in Love
Hitler's Favourite Royal
The Queen's Uncle

Message me if you can help...

BBC4 recently showed a documentary called "Balmoral".
BBC - BBC Four Programmes - Balmoral

I stumbled across it on iplayer and thought it was quite informative to those who may not be aware of the history of the building (like me).

Did anybody else see it?

Edwina Mountbatten film starring Cate Blanchett is cancelled

AT the time it was one of the most famous and glamorous marriages in the country.

But Hollywood producers have found telling the story of Romsey’s Lord and Lady Mountbatten’s relationship too controversial and have pulled out of making a movie based on the Hampshire couple’s time during the last days of the British Empire in India.
More in this article: Edwina Mountbatten film starring Cate Blanchett is cancelled (From Daily Echo)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am extremely disappointed that the film has been cancelled. I was looking forward to it very much. Cate Blanchett would have been wonderful as Edwina, and I would have liked to see Hugh Grant tackle Dickie. Clever writing and direction and acting could have overcome the lack of on-screen kissing and declarations of love between Edwina and Jawahar.

I've read on MSN Cinema that accordin to Ok Magasine, Kate Beckinsale could be Princess Margaret in a movie called "The Princess And The Gangster".
A movie about the alleged affair between the princess and the actor/gangster John Bindon.

MSN Cinema

"Painting Her Majesty The Queen" - Rolf Harris, BBC 2006

I just watched the BBC documentary on Rolf Harris' portrait of the Queen. I remember watching this same doco on the ABC a couple of years ago and being astounded when the Queen said "nope" and "yep" to Harris. It's a fascinating interview and really the most personal one that I've seen. I highly recommend it. He's amazingly chatty, so is the Queen for that matter.

For those who are interested you can watch the documentary here on YouTube, in several parts.

It also contains interviews with people who have painted other portraits of the Queen.

I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong place. I searched but couldn't find another thread for this particular documentary.

Here is the website for the TV series.

The Princess and the Press - How Kate's Life Will Change Forever

It may seem like a dream come true for the soon to be Princess. But will the press make it a nightmare?

TV DOCUMENTARY
CHANNEL 5 - UK
Tuesday, 21 December 2010
Time 20.00 - 21.00 [1 hour]
[/COLOR]

Back
Top Bottom