British Royal Family: Documentaries, DVDs, Films and TV shows

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I Recently got it for Christmas anyone remember it with Victoria Hamilton and Johnathan Firth.
From 2001 anyone seen it got it for Christmas it was a great gift

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I have seen it, but I prefer the actors who portray Victoria and Albert in Edward the 7th ( known as Edward the King here in the US).
But V& A is a wonderful movie too.

The Queen- TLC Docudrama

An ad came on TV tonight for a 2 hour docudrama about the life and reign of QE2 to air on TLC sometime in Feb.
But I do not think it is new, it is the same title and the actors looked similar to a 4 part BBC docudrama I have on DVD that aired in the UK 2 years ago.
I think this is the US premiere of that. Could be different program though so worth a heads-up!:cool:

Thank you roseroyal for the heads up. I will make sure I set my TV to record it.
It should be interesting to watch as Queen Elizabeth seems to be a fascinating person.

2nite Ovation TV is airing a new special on Diana Princess of Wales, a special on Wills & Kate, and a 2 hr documentary on William' s life.
It all starts at 5:00 PST in the U.S.
Ovation is also airing new specials on the British Royals starting at 5:00 PM PST 2nite thru Sat. night
And Sat. night is devoted to new specials about the Princess of Wales! I know when I am watching!

Last edited:
Thank you roseroyal for the heads up. I will make sure I set my TV to record it.
It should be interesting to watch as Queen Elizabeth seems to be a fascinating person.
You are welcome. Wish I could remember the date of the program. Seems to me it is sometime in the middle of the month.

BBC: A History of Royal Weddings

Received from the BBC
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

From the BBC History website, their latest collection: 'A History of Royal Weddings':

BBC - A History of Royal Weddings (pictures, video, facts & news)

There's pages and embeddable archive clips for each of the major British royal weddings from the last 100 years,

from
George VI's in 1923:

Duke of York & Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon 1923

to
Charles and Diana in 1981:

Prince of Wales & Lady Diana Spencer 1981

and
Engagement clips for William and Catherine
:

Prince William & Catherine Middleton Engagement 2010

Simon Delafond | BBC Vision MPP - History
MC3 A4, Media Centre, 201 Wood Lane, London, W12 7TQ

The Blighty Channel which airs in the UK is showing a series of documentaries in the lead up to the Royal Wedding.
Details below:

Blighty

Monarchy: Royal Family at Work

PBS is showing an older documentary about the British Royal Family at work - it's fascimating. I know it's not being shown everywhere, but if it's here in HI, it's on the mainland as well.

I wasn't sure where to put this post, couldn't see discussion about this excellent documentary series elsewhere - mods please move to better place.

Everyone else: don't miss it!

One of the best documentaries on the British family I can think of is "Elizabeth R" made in 1992 for the 40th anniversary of Her Majesty's ascention. The amount you hear off the record is astounding, especially from Her Majesty. In this documentary we hear her admit to having a diary but not as detailed as Queen Victoria's. Individual clips of this documentary can be found on YouTube, but I do not know how to upload videos or if there are any legal complications, all I know is that the person who posts them is called "reelsarency" and I am eternally grateful to whoever they are for these gems of royal life. It is an amazing documentary.

Tomorrow, sunday 26.6.2011 the satellite channel ARTE will show newly found TV material of the coronation of Elizabeth II. on 7.30 AM. ARTE is available on the ASTRA satellite sytsem in both German and French language.

If somebody has a chance to tape it and publish it at YouTube - this is a delight- and insightful programme worth watching as it has a well-informed comment to it.

Documentary on Prince Harry's Fans

Hi! I'd like introduce myself as a new forum member! I have the great honour of making a documentary about Prince Harry's fans. :flowers:

Since the Royal Wedding this spring Prince Harry’s popularity has sky rocketed. The documentary will look at the public’s affectionate relationship with the third in line to the throne, and ask what it is about Harry that people find so endearing. It is being made in Britain by Rare Day for Channel Four’s critically acclaimed First Cut strand.

I would love your help - whether it's Harry facts or pictures, if you know a fan who might like to take part, or any thoughts on what the film should include! The filming will be done in the UK in August or September - so fans need to be UK based, or visiting the British Isles then.

Here are a couple photos I took of Prince Harry at Ascot on Saturday.

Get in touch - don't be shy - I'm very friendly! :)
Emily.

Attachments

• Harry 1.jpg
    Harry 1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 426
  • Harry 2.jpg
    Harry 2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 429
I'd like to see Harry more at work, and less in nightclubs.

Do you know if they will be showing your documentary in the US?

I'd personally like to hear more about the Apache helicopters he's learning to fly! (And it wouldn't hurt to see him at work either...)

I have to agree that it has been awhile since we've heard about Prince Harry and nightclubs other than what is in the distant past. These days its mostly either about women he may be dating or his work with the military.

I would also like to see this documentary made available to those in the U.S.- either online or on TV!

;)

they will make film about prince harry life ?

they will make film about prince harry life ?

They were making a movie about Prince Harry's life, but I think this is a documentary about Prince Harry's fans - maybe the original poster can come back and elaborate. Here is an article on the movie they were making - last I heard they were looking for people to play Prince Harry. I don't know if they're still making it or not.

Coming to a screen near you, Harry the movie star
By BAZ BAMIGBOYE
Last updated at 10:51 AM on 2nd October 2009
BAZ BAMIGBOYE Coming to a screen near you: Prince Harry the film star | Mail Online

Prince Harry Documentary

Hi! Yes - this isn't a documentary about Harry's life - but about his huge popularity - which has sky-rocketed since the Royal Wedding - after all, he is now Britain's most eligible bachelor. It's also about [FONT=&quot]the[/FONT] fairy tale dream of being a princess - and what this would really mean for those hoping to find their own prince.

It will feature Prince Harry's fans speaking about why they admire him - I hope they will explain that this is for his work as well as his sporting and social life.

Channel 4 always puts documentaries on its online site 4 On Demand after they have been broadcast - perhaps an American forum member could let us know if you can watch this in the States?

I'm looking for the most devoted fans - not half hearted ones! If you know of any British fans - or fans from outside of the UK who will be in the here this August/September - please put them in touch,

Best wishes,
Emily

Dear Emily,

I believe I met you recently at Queen Charlotte's Ball. I was a debutante participating in the ball and had an interview with you. I was just wondering when the documentary was airing and how it is progressing?
Wishing you the best of luck in this endeavor!

Jennifer Ward George

"Walking the Dogs" (2012) Sky TV - The Queen and Palace intruder Michael Fagan

Emma Thompson is to star in a half-hour drama entitled "Walking the Dogs".

The drama which is set to be screened later this year depicts the meeting between Queen Elizabeth and intruder, Michael Fagan, after he found himself in the Monarch's bedroom.

Emma Thompson stars as Queen in Palace break-in drama - Telegraph

...But now the morning she woke up to find an intruder in her bedroom is to be recreated in a new television drama starring Emma Thompson. And the Queen has found an unlikely ally: Michael Fagan, the man who broke into the Palace. He has criticised producers for recreating the incident saying it shows a "lack of respect" for the Queen in her jubilee year.

"Walking the Dogs", which is set to be screened this year, looks back at the moment Michael Fagan scaled walls and rooftops to find himself beside the startled monarch’s four-poster bed. But speaking yesterday, the now 61-year-old claimed his "moment of madness" should be kept hidden and not revisited during the Queen’s jubilee year.He said: "The Queen deserves respect and I'm sorry that all the focus over all these years has been on the fact that I was in her bedroom. I can't believe they're now putting so much attention on it, particularly in her jubilee year. It was just a moment of madness."

Thompson, who won an Oscar for writing the film adaptation of Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility, took up the offer of the role as Queen after being impressed by the script. The production is written by Helen Greaves and is part of a series of one-off comedies and dramas called Playhouse Presents, which were commissioned by Sky Arts. The actress is set to star in the half-hour drama alongside Eddie Marsan, who plays Fagan, and Russell Tovey, who plays a royal footman. Together the three discuss a variety of themes including love, family and personal freedoms before police are finally alerted to the break-in and arrive to take Fagan away.

Attachments

• Bertie & Elizabeth DVD.jpg
    Bertie & Elizabeth DVD.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 961
Desert Island Discs

For those with access to iTunes, you might like to know that you can download royal episodes of the popular British "Desert Island Discs" series for free. The show is basically an interview with the 'castaway' who has to choose records to take with them on a desert island. At the moment, there's episodes with Princess Margaret, Princess Michael and the Duchess of Kent but there's also some with various other figures such as a few of the Mitford girls. Enjoy!

P.S - if you search Desert Island Discs in iTunes, you can find the episodes. :flowers:

"Abdication: A Very British Coup" [Edward VIII] (2009) BBC 4 doco

"Abdication: A Very British Coup"
BBC 4

blurb

"Documentary shedding new light on the greatest crisis to rock the British monarchy in centuries - the abdication of King Edward VIII. Usually, it has been presented as the only solution to his dilemma of having to choose between the throne and the woman he loved. Using secret documents and contemporary diaries and letters, this film shows a popular monarch whose modern ideas so unsettled the establishment that his love for Wallis Simpson became the perfect excuse to bounce him off the throne."

Abdication: A Very British Coup Part 1 - YouTube

Abdication : A Very British Coup Part 2 - YouTube

"The Duke: A Portrait of Prince Philip" (2008) ITV documentary

An intimate portrait of Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, presented by Trevor MacDonald.
For a man who's been in the public eye for 60 years, the Duke of Edinburgh remains something of an enigma. Sir Trevor McDonald's two-part profile in which the knighted newsreader follows the Duke on state visits and discusses his conservation work with him. There's also footage of the Prince's own films of his travels.

The Duke: A Portrait of Prince Philip (1/2) - YouTube

The Duke: A Portrait of Prince Philip (2/2) - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z83ByQybfDc&feature=relmfu

Hi Artemisia..My die-hard interest in British royals has made me familiar with your name for almost a year..Dont you think The Duke of Edinburgh is a very under-rated royal..People have conveniently fixed him the tag "racist", though he has never made an actual racist comment..People just do not appreciate how much his discretion, resilience and that mere presence "one step behind" has contributed to the stability of Queen's reign. Imagine the situation of monarchy had he been like prince Bernhard, accepting money from companies..or like Prince Henrik..throwing tantrums and absconding..I always feel he never got the appreciation that is his due. Maybe the palace PR machinery doesnt care for his image..What do you say?

Back
Top Bottom