The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Courtier

I'm also looking forward to it..
and I hope my dear Thomas Kretschmann will be King Leopold!!

Old 09-29-2007, 03:20 PM
Royal Highness

I'm really looking forward to seeing this! It sounds interesting, but I really hope they do a good job with it. I find it kind of neat that Princess Beatrice, a real descendant of Victoria, will be making a cameo appearance.

By the way, Emily Blunt was in the well-known movie, The Devil Wears Prada, where she played the mean assistant, and got a good bit of praise for the roll.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Gentry

Ooh, a new film about Victoria!

I became fascinated with Victoria and Albert after watching the miniseries. Their love story is inspiring. And the way they loved...stormy and deep. What a connection.

I have to admit to a small crush on Prince Albert; what an accomplished, intelligent man who also wasn't afraid to feel.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by morhange View Post
The Young Victoria (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Martin Scorsese to Produce The Young Victoria

:w00t2:

Looks really promising! The cast looks great! Jim Broadbent, Miranda Richardson and Paul Bettany. I don't know who Emily Blunt is, but hopefully she lives up to the standards of Victoria Hamilton in the 2001 miniseries. I'm kind of disappointed that Rupert Friend is playing Prince Albert; I don't care for him very much. I'd rather Jonathan Firth reprise his role
Did you see "The Devil Wears Prada"? Emily Blunt was the English girl who was the other assistant to Meryl Streep. She doesn't look much like Victoria, but she's a pretty good actress.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I find it kind of neat that Princess Beatrice, a real descendant of Victoria, will be making a cameo appearance.
According to the article morhange posted Sarah, Duchess of York is co-producing this film.

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 10-13-2007, 01:25 AM
Gentry

Princess Anne Wedding

I am looking for video of Princess Anne's Wedding. I know it might be hard to come by, but I was hoping someone had a VCR back then.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Heir Apparent

"Monarchy'" by David Starkey: 2007 TV series on British Royal history

For those of you in the US PBS is running a documentary series called
Monarch with David Starkey. It covers European monarchy through the centuries. I caught only the tail end last night (10pm on PBS chanel 13 in NYC) of the episode on King James during the 1600s. His devotion to catholism and the strife it brought to England. It seems pretty extensive (covering some of the castle built by monarchs etc) and I'd like to see other episodes if anyone has it. I checked the PBC station on Youtube this morning but it is not uploaded there as of today.

David Starkey is a British historian who has a hardcover book called Monarchy for sale at Amazon. I wonder if this series only covers British monarchy? The description caption talked about the Dutch monarchy but the show was actually on King James so I cant be certain how encompassing the series will be. I'll
check out the next episode at report here.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

I watched it last night, it was very informative and interesting.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
For those of you in the US PBS is running a documentary series called
Monarch with David Starkey. It covers European monarchy through the centuries. I caught only the tail end last night (10pm on PBS chanel 13 in NYC) of the episode on King James during the 1600s. His devotion to catholism and the strife it brought to England. It seems pretty extensive (covering some of the castle built by monarchs etc) and I'd like to see other episodes if anyone has it. I checked the PBC station on Youtube this morning but it is not uploaded there as of today.

David Starkey is a British historian who has a hardcover book called Monarchy for sale at Amazon. I wonder if this series only covers British monarchy? The description caption talked about the Dutch monarchy but the show was actually on King James so I cant be certain how encompassing the series will be. I'll
check out the next episode at report here.

I recieved the DVD Monarchy for Chistmas.

The series only covers the British monarchy starting from the fall of the Roman Empire through Queen Victoria.

All in all the program is okay. Essentially, it's basic/standard British royal history. Nothing new or groundbreaking research from Dr. Starkey. However, it is a good program for those who may be unfamiliar with the turbulent history of the British monarchy. The one thing that I bothered me was the cheesy reenactments. I would have liked to have seen more original portraits of the various monarchs than what was shown.

On the plus side, Dr. Starkey does take the viewer to many historical sites that played a critical role in history. Furthermore, he visits various palaces in Britian as well as abroad (such as Het Loo with it's connection to William III.)

A highlight for me was his review of the Hanoverian kings (my favorite period in British history.) Dr. Starkey also goes into detail regarding Sir Robert Walpole (one of my favorite British politicans along side Chruchill, Lord Grenville, and Disraeli) noting his role/relationship with King George I and King George II as well as discussing the South Sea Bubble. Of course, Dr. Starkey discusses William Pitt the Elder (noting that he was essentially Bi-polar) as well.

Monarchy is a good series for those who are beginners when it comes to British royal history. For the rest of us who have studied it in depth for years, the series is a nice "brush up"; not brilliant, but definitely worth watching.

Finally, not all PBS stations will carry the program. For example, if you live in L.A. they might not show it whereas in NYC they will. So check your local listing so you won't get your hopes up.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
I recieved the DVD Monarchy for Chistmas.

The series only covers the British monarchy starting from the fall of the Roman Empire through Queen Victoria.
The series has been brought up to date with coverage of post-Victoria to the present and speculation about the future. It was broadcast in the UK this month. I don't know if this additional information is available on video yet.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Apparently not.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:18 AM
Courtier

More info on the film: The Young Victoria on Squidoo

Gosh, they should just let Beatrice play Victoria. The resemblance is uncanny!!
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Emily Blunt is a great actress. This sounds like an interesting film.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Documentary about the Duke of Edinburgh to be shown on ITV

ITV announces Duke documentary - Entertainment News | Breaking News | Celebrity Gossip - MSN Entertainment UK
ITV announces Duke documentary for later this year!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Sounds interesting. I wish I could see it; perhaps ITV will sell the documentary to PBS or something in the future.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
Sounds interesting. I wish I could see it; perhaps ITV will sell the documentary to PBS or something in the future.
I agree with you! I wish I could see it ,too.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:28 AM
Gentry

Does anyone know where I can find "The Royal Family" documentary?

I am hoping to find the full version of "The Royal Family"/ "A year with the Queen" documentary, and I was wondering if anyone knew where to find it, or if it is even available to purchase.

Please let me know, I would be most indebted!

Old 03-26-2008, 02:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

There's a thread in the Royal Library discussing this documentary; I've edited one of the posts to add a link to the page at Amazon.ca where you can preorder the DVD since it doesn't seem to be available at Amazon.com.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...tml#post737123
Old 03-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Nobility

Maybe YouTube has it posted?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Commoner

hi - widely available in GB CD shops, ef Tesco etc around £18 lasts 360 mins
Hope this helps

Tags
haakon vii, maud, olav v