British Royal Family: Documentaries, DVDs, Films and TV shows

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The guy in the CBS version who played William did not at all look like him. He was horrible. They never get actors that look like him. Isn't there some kind of movie/tv drama that is supposed to be in the works.

I saw it when it was first aired. I think it was on ABC's Wonderful World of Disney, and I taped it. I thought it was okay, but nothing special. I kept wondering throughout if all of that really happened the way it did, and why would someone make it up if they didn't know what really happened behind the scenes, so to speak. I also thought the very beginning was silly - the whole whispering voices thing - that was just...odd.

Prince William Movie

And the visiting the dungeon party life scenes.....weird. I agree, would be nice if they could at least get someone who bore some resemblance to him!!!! I hadn't heard of movie. Wait! I'm wrong. I'd heard some studio was thinking of something based on a book about Diana and her boys......but that was just the one time I heard it. Nothing since.

British Royal Family Documentaries and DVDs

Reminder!!

Tonight : 8.30pm : BBC 1 - The Queen's Guard

A documentary following the lives of HM Queen Elizabeth II's Horseguards.

Re:

Sorry! This series was actually called ' The Queen's Cavalry '.

I love the ceremonial of it all too. :D

The Queen's Cavalry was a wonderful insight to the daily lifes of Her Majesty's Life Guards and Blues & Royals.

I very much enjoyed watching it:)

Re:

It was quite a good series but again, it was all a bit stinted and terribly BBC. There were some good moments and some embarassing ones. I thought that pointing out a horse relieving himself in front of the Queen was so childish - are these people so nouveau-riche that the sight of a peeing horse makes them fall down in hysterics?

Thanks for sharing Elspeth. This looks interesting although we'll have to wait awhile in the U.S. to see it, I may rent the DVD.

It's hard to believe that anyone could outdo Glenda Jackson's performance in Elizabeth R. Cate Blanchett gave her a run for her money in the theatrical movie Elizabeth but the plot was a bit weak.

I have the DVD from Elizabeth R and all the cast gave such stellar performances - Robert Hary as Leicester, Michael Williams as the duc d'Alencon, and John Shrapnel as Sussex.

I wonder if the actor Tom Hardy who's playing Leicester in the new series is related to Robert Hardy who played Leicester in Elizabeth R. That would be interesting.

Thanks Elspeth.

I cant't imagine we shall have much of a wait here in Australia for it, as we normally get the BBC productions within a couple of months or so of being aired in the UK.

"MII"

Thanks for the tip, Elspeth! I surely would like to see this one. Now all I have to do is to think about it! :) That's always a problem with me and series... ;)

Helen Mirren in "Elizabeth I"

Hello. For those of you who watched that miniseries (it just aired in the U .S.), what did you think? I've read many book on the British Royals, historical and contemporary. With regards to QE1, I was appalled when I read that the Earl of Essex actually brandished a sword at her person, in a fit of rage! I was suprised he was not arrested on the spot! Helen Mirren was absolutely amazing in her role!! Aside from Queen Elizabeth I, my other favorite is Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine. Kindest regards, Roman in Austin, Texas:)

i would like watch that movie also but this movie really good i saw on HBO but i never watch movie before but i wanted see that show because im on another show of my favorites show of Spranos every Sunday

CBC's Pop-up Royals

Has anyone seen this show? It's awesome! http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/program/index.jsp?program=Pop+Up+Royals

Scott Thompson plays Queen Elizabeth in a narrating role and they show very old CBC video recordings (from the 50s) of the Queen and other royals (including George VI and the Queen Mother). In addition, there are all kinds of pop-ups with interesting (and often hilarious) facts.

"Rivals" - 2006 German TV documentary about Diana and Camilla

I just saw that tonight (11.07.2007) at 20.15 German TV-station ZDF is going to broadcast the first of the new documentary series called "Rivalinnen" (female rivals). First pair of rivals are Diana and Camilla. The next ones will bei Soraya Esfandiary/Farah Diba and the shah, then Jackie Kennedy/Maria Callas and Onassis and finally Eva Braun/Mrs. Goebbels and Hitler (it is a German TV-documentary, after all!).

ZDF is quite renowned for the quality of their documentaries which have been awarded a lot of national and international awards. Plus they do have a well connected team of Royal reporters, thus I believe it'll be worth seeing.

It sounds like a brilliant series Jo.I think that the Diana/Camilla format has been done to death but the Braun/Goebbels/Hitler one would interest me and the Soraya Esfandiary/Farah Diba/Shah one too. I just don't think I could take another documentary about it all! There was a good documentary called "Queen Camilla" on the Biography Channel about a month ago which was basically about Camilla's life and it was interesting that we know so little about Camilla's childhood and teenage years because the media have only ever been interested in her as a middle aged woman. The Brandreth book cleared up alot of bakcground info but the documentary was fairly good watching too.

I'd be interested to see the Eva/Magda/Adolf one but I don't think I could take another Diana/Camilla documentary!

BeatrixFan said:
I'd be interested to see the Eva/Magda/Adolf one but I don't think I could take another Diana/Camilla documentary!

LOL! ;)

The Eva/Magda/Adolf docu is shown on 01.08.2006 at 20.15 CEST - ZDF is available via Astra satellite, but I don't know if you understand German (while in the Diana/Camilla- docu probably most people are speaking English this one will feature mostly German "Zeitzeugen" - witnesses).

BeatrixFan said:
It sounds like a brilliant series Jo.I think that the Diana/Camilla format has been done to death but the Braun/Goebbels/Hitler one would interest me and the Soraya Esfandiary/Farah Diba/Shah one too. I just don't think I could take another documentary about it all! There was a good documentary called "Queen Camilla" on the Biography Channel about a month ago which was basically about Camilla's life and it was interesting that we know so little about Camilla's childhood and teenage years because the media have only ever been interested in her as a middle aged woman. The Brandreth book cleared up alot of bakcground info but the documentary was fairly good watching too.
I saw the docus by the same team about "Hitler's women" which featured the women working or surrounding Hitler and they were really fascinating. Alas, one thinks that the Third Reich-topic is done to death but then a new docu shows up with a different view and new witnesses and again it's very interesting.

As it's the same team I think I'll give it a try - for some reasons I missed all the Camilla docus that were aired last year and so I'm bound to be surprised! ;) Alas - already the press text tells that the main line is that Camilla and Charles had an on-going relationship and thus made it difficult for Diana to enter while I subscribe to the idea that C&C had "only" an on-going friendship based on understanding and support from her side (with him the gracious receiver :D). Which is a situation Diana could have fit in quite well if she had had more of a "supporter" quality and less of a "star" quality herself.

I simply don't believe that this Prince Nice Guy who has tried for his whole life to be helpful to others was so coldhearted towards a young girl. And I understand so well how taxing it was to be married to this nice girl who simply didn't see life like he did and was not willing to give in. And I so understand this princess who was so young and so romantic and knew nothing about her husband but relied on her position and tried to find a lever within that. While Camilla (at least that's what the press text claims as reason for the whole problem) has understood Charles only too well and got her power out of catering to his secret dreams. Which is, in fact, IMHO, the only way to really make men eat out of your hands: be the woman of their dreams. It doesn't matter if you're beautiful as long as you are just what your beloved wants and if he is what you dream of. And all others and their opinions be d***ed. :D

Jo of Palatine said:
I saw the docus by the same team about "Hitler's women" which featured the women working or surrounding Hitler and they were really fascinating. Alas, one thinks that the Third Reich-topic is done to death but then a new docu shows up with a different view and new witnesses and again it's very interesting.

As it's the same team I think I'll give it a try - for some reasons I missed all the Camilla docus that were aired last year and so I'm bound to be surprised! ;) Alas - already the press text tells that the main line is that Camilla and Charles had an on-going relationship and thus made it difficult for Diana to enter while I subscribe to the idea that C&C had "only" an on-going friendship based on understanding and support from her side (with him the gracious receiver :D). Which is a situation Diana could have fit in quite well if she had had more of a "supporter" quality and less of a "star" quality herself.

I simply don't believe that this Prince Nice Guy who has tried for his whole life to be helpful to others was so coldhearted towards a young girl. And I understand so well how taxing it was to be married to this nice girl who simply didn't see life like he did and was not willing to give in. And I so understand this princess who was so young and so romantic and knew nothing about her husband but relied on her position and tried to find a lever within that. While Camilla (at least that's what the press text claims as reason for the whole problem) has understood Charles only too well and got her power out of catering to his secret dreams. Which is, in fact, IMHO, the only way to really make men eat out of your hands: be the woman of their dreams. It doesn't matter if you're beautiful as long as you are just what your beloved wants and if he is what you dream of. And all others and their opinions be d***ed. :D

Diana was young and foolish and she expected her husband to love her only. Most brides expect that. Unfortunately, here, there was a complication. The lovers were exchanging gifts before the wedding and he wore the cufflinks his mistress gave him on his honeymoon. Camilla was the smarter of the two. She just laid low and remained steafast in her devotion to him and in the end she won. Had the Princess played her cards right, she would still be HRH and Camilla would still be the mistress. So, you are correct.

Let's not go all through this again....

redfox6 said:
Diana was young and foolish and she expected her husband to love her only. Most brides expect that. Unfortunately, here, there was a complication. The lovers were exchanging gifts before the wedding and he wore the cufflinks his mistress gave him on his honeymoon. Camilla was the smarter of the two. She just laid low and remained steafast in her devotion to him and in the end she won. Had the Princess played her cards right, she would still be HRH and Camilla would still be the mistress. So, you are correct.
You're sure you were not in the editorial department of this film? ;) For this is exactly the conclusion of it: Diana was young, innocent, beautiful and - yes, maybe..., foolish while Camilla was devilishly sly in lying low after having destroyed that marriage - with the prince as weak laughing-stick in between these two women...

Oh, they adressed all the critical points (Diana being called difficult even by her stauntest supporters or the way she not only manipulated the press but knew no boundaries when it came to her personal war against Charles) but all this was played very low-keyed while they repeated all the accusations concerning the "fact" eg that Charles took pics of Camilla on his honeymoon (did he? is there proof?) - in that film they had actors who played it. These actors were dressed like Charles, Camilla etc. and their part was cut directly behind original coverage on film, thus making most viewers believe that it happened exactly that way when in fact it is not proven!

I'm deeply disturbed by the "quality" of this docu as this is one of the few topics I feel I know a bit about the background and the personal positions of the people interviewed (Jennie Bond, Whitacker, Simmons, Jephson) as witnesses and found it not only lacking but outright manipulating! What to think of the others? I really thought that ZDF was a somehow reliable (It is public financed TV after all, like the British BBC) but this was not only rubbish but a disgrace to journalism. Which is something I will tell their boss as well!

redfox6 said:
So, you are correct.

Seriously time to move on redfox6, it is beginning to sound like the needle is stuck.

I don't understand German sadly - but I watched "Downfall" again last night and I wish I did speak German because an Eva/Magda/Adolf documentary would fill in the gaps.

Since this discussion can go far beyond Camilla's events, I've moved the discussion about the new German documentary out of Camilla's Current Events thread.

By the way, has anyone actually seen the documentary? It may be a good idea to start discussions with that.

ysbel said:
Since this discussion can go far beyond Camilla's events, I've moved the discussion about the new German documentary out of Camilla's Current Events thread.

By the way, has anyone actually seen the documentary? It may be a good idea to start discussions with that.

See up-thread - I saw it and it was not good in terms of journalism... Alas...

Thanks for the clarification, Jo. I must say I was a little skeptical with their pairing of Jackie O and Maria Callas.

Maria Callas' affair with Ari started during his first marriage with Athina Onassis so Athina was her main rival. I don't remember Callas being involved with Onassis by the time he married Jackie.

I have to agree with Jo - the documentary wasn't good at all. It mainly was rehashing a lot of the all too well known half-truths or unproven claims. Sadly people over here will believe it because it was shown on a reliable TV channel.

Last edited:
I agree with Gladys the documentary wasn't good I didn't like it.

Back
Top Bottom