The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-23-2004, 12:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by babar100@Jun 23rd, 2004 - 2:32 am
I agree. The royal shows on tv have always been dumb to me because they just assume things about them and talk about their lives as if they were "best friends" with them or something. I doubt they know everything about the royals as they like to appear. Just because they talked to them for awhile (ahem peter archer) )dont mean they know them. Ingrid Seward and Peter Archer really annoy me aswell and Arthur Edwards seems like a stalker with a camera
Kitty kelly.. BLAH Simon Perry act as if he was Wills buddy and has all the facts on his love status, and harold brookes doesnt need to be doing this.. from what i can tell he looks ill and i'm worried, andrew morton doesnt seem trustworthy, chris anderson and james whitaker are the only sane ones that i see alot on the shows..and now i'm wondering why do i know all of these royal "experts" that appear on these shows??? this is scary [/quote]
Yes, I totally agree - H. Brooks Baker keeps sinking into his chair and looks ill, and a little disgruntled to be there (so don't!). James Whitaker can be amusing but I wish he could be a little more down to earth (last I knew he wasn't royal). Kitty Kelly.....can't they find someone else to speak as a royal "expert?"
A. Morton just seems so smug and pleased with himself.

Old 06-23-2004, 08:24 PM
Aristocracy

Dickie Arbiter is quite transparently prejudiced and slanted. He knows which side his bread is buttered on in the system and he chooses his words and facts accordingly. Nor does his acquaintanceship with all the major players necessarily give him any special insight or credibility. Other people like Burrell himself could claim to know most of these people. I think it's funny that in this show the supposedly knowledgable Robert Lacey makes this statement in passing:

"That is an option with Prince Charles, if he didn't want to become king, he doesn't have to wait to be king and abdicate. There are mechanisms in which he can be taken out of the line of succession."

What mechanisms would those be? Everyone I've ever read has asserted there are no provisions for any British heir to the throne to renounce, only to abdicate after becoing monarch. There is no provision, except marry a Catholic, yet from the way Lacey phrases it he seems to be talking about something that clearly doesn't even exist!

Old 06-23-2004, 08:28 PM
CathyEarnshaw

Julian,

A sovereign cannot abdicate without an Act of Parliament. Edward VII's abdication was not valid until Parliament acted.

Yes, Parliament can change the succession - only Parliament can ... The Prince of Wales could decide that he does not want to be in line - and he could renounce his position, but it would take an act of Parliament to make it valid.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:35 AM
Heir Apparent

VERY BAD :(
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 06-24-2004, 11:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Yes, Parliament can change the succession - only Parliament can ... The Prince of Wales could decide that he does not want to be in line - and he could renounce his position, but it would take an act of Parliament to make it valid.
Marlene, I know all that. When I stated "I have always read" I was alluding to friends of yours on other forums (I'm not allowed to name) who have stated to the contrary. Of course Parliament can change the succession. Some people just hope they won't and keep stating otherwise.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by babar100
well i dont know if you care but there's a small part in the movie "what a girl wants" of prince william,harry,and charles lookalikes at a fashion show scene.. it's about midway into the movie B)
but its not a movie about them?
Old 11-15-2004, 05:44 PM

Does anyone know where I could obtain a copy of this movie? Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Courtier

why didnt they get a hotter cast
Old 12-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Serene Highness

Prince William in Made for TV movie

I had the misfortune of tuning into a movie on Prince William (I thought it was going to be a documentary with the real William) on "WE" TV network last night. If you ever see it posted, do yourself a favor and find something else. It was an awful portrayal of William and the Royal Family. I kept hoping it would get better. It didn't. Just my thoughts. Has anyone else seen it?
Old 12-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Courtier

The movie you viewed was originally a made for TV movie on CBS (or one of the main stations here in the States), and I agree it's a horrible movie.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:24 PM
Royal Highness

The guy in the CBS version who played William did not at all look like him. He was horrible. They never get actors that look like him. Isn't there some kind of movie/tv drama that is supposed to be in the works.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:28 AM
Aristocracy

I saw it when it was first aired. I think it was on ABC's Wonderful World of Disney, and I taped it. I thought it was okay, but nothing special. I kept wondering throughout if all of that really happened the way it did, and why would someone make it up if they didn't know what really happened behind the scenes, so to speak. I also thought the very beginning was silly - the whole whispering voices thing - that was just...odd.

Pigeonhole THIS.com
Old 12-08-2004, 01:32 AM
Serene Highness

Prince William Movie

And the visiting the dungeon party life scenes.....weird. I agree, would be nice if they could at least get someone who bore some resemblance to him!!!! I hadn't heard of movie. Wait! I'm wrong. I'd heard some studio was thinking of something based on a book about Diana and her boys......but that was just the one time I heard it. Nothing since.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:57 AM

British Royal Family Documentaries and DVDs

Reminder!!

Tonight : 8.30pm : BBC 1 - The Queen's Guard

A documentary following the lives of HM Queen Elizabeth II's Horseguards.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think the horses are so pretty. The tradition of the parades and stuff is really cool. http://english.people.com.cn/200506/...06_188675.html

Old 10-12-2005, 06:13 PM

Re:

Sorry! This series was actually called ' The Queen's Cavalry '.

I love the ceremonial of it all too.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Aristocracy

The Queen's Cavalry was a wonderful insight to the daily lifes of Her Majesty's Life Guards and Blues & Royals.

I very much enjoyed watching it:)
Old 10-23-2005, 11:08 AM

Re:

It was quite a good series but again, it was all a bit stinted and terribly BBC. There were some good moments and some embarassing ones. I thought that pointing out a horse relieving himself in front of the Queen was so childish - are these people so nouveau-riche that the sight of a peeing horse makes them fall down in hysterics?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Aristocracy

CBC's Pop-up Royals

Has anyone seen this show? It's awesome! http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/progr...=Pop+Up+Royals

Scott Thompson plays Queen Elizabeth in a narrating role and they show very old CBC video recordings (from the 50s) of the Queen and other royals (including George VI and the Queen Mother). In addition, there are all kinds of pop-ups with interesting (and often hilarious) facts.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Heir Apparent

"Rivals" - 2006 German TV documentary about Diana and Camilla

I just saw that tonight (11.07.2007) at 20.15 German TV-station ZDF is going to broadcast the first of the new documentary series called "Rivalinnen" (female rivals). First pair of rivals are Diana and Camilla. The next ones will bei Soraya Esfandiary/Farah Diba and the shah, then Jackie Kennedy/Maria Callas and Onassis and finally Eva Braun/Mrs. Goebbels and Hitler (it is a German TV-documentary, after all!).

ZDF is quite renowned for the quality of their documentaries which have been awarded a lot of national and international awards. Plus they do have a well connected team of Royal reporters, thus I believe it'll be worth seeing.

Tags
haakon vii, maud, olav v