British Royal Family: Documentaries, DVDs, Films and TV shows

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"When The Queen Came To Town" - 60th Anniversary Documentary of Landmark Oz/NZ Tour

Thursday's Sydney newspaper always reviews the new film releases, and today there is a very nice review of the new documentary "When The Queen Came To Town".

Saying it is "dinky, but delightful", it commemorates the 1954 tour of Australia and New Zealand - now sixty years ago - by Her Majesty and Prince Phillip.

Some 130 locations were visited, and it is estimated about eighty percent of Australia's population saw the Queen in person.

Some people who did so are interviewed, and the footage of the masses flooding the streets is described as "never less than astonishing".

There is also a three-quarter page article about the documentary - which is opening in cinemas today.

Here are some details -

- in Sydney, four rooms of Government House were refurbished with a hand-made eleven piece suite of bedroom furniture, made from Australian butt maple

- what was the original stables for Government House were even then converted into the Conservatorium of Music, and each time Her Majesty passed by, the students were taken out of class to form an Honour Guard

- Her Majesty stayed in an hotel when in Lismore, with lilac walls and venetian blinds, and with food flown in from Europe

Last edited:
I completely agree. I got it in the bargain basket at a Blockbuster video store and paid $5, which was about all it was worth.:cool:

Yes I agree it was a pale shade compared to the first Elizabeth movie which I really liked.Coincidentally I got both of them together on a dvd boxset,but have the Golden Age has yet to be opened!

Truth, Lies, Diana

A new play which is due to open in London's West End On January 9th will suggest that former Household Cavalry officer, James Hewitt, fathered Prince Harry during his affair with Princess Diana.

Jon Conway, who wrote the play, claims that James Hewitt personally admitted that his relationship with Diana started 18 months before Harry was born, and backed the play by allowing the revelation to be used. !! :ohmy:

Prince Harry was fathered by James Hewitt, new play claims - Telegraph

I hope that they set the facts straight. Braveheart probably is a great adventure story and arousing for the Scots, it has very little to do with historical correct facts and events...

To begin with: William Wallace was not at all born in poverty, as depicted in the movie, but was a member of the Scottish aristocracy and already was a knight when he engaged in battle (and was not knighted afterwards as Braveheart suggests).

Isabelle de France was a 4 years old toddler in the time of William Wallaces military career. In the film however she helps Wallace by informing him of the English strategies, the affair and giving him pain-numbing medicine before his execution... Also Isabelle speaking French to keep things secret was nonsense as French was the standard language at the European Courts.

Sir Phillip (de Mowbray) was never thrown out of any castle windows but in fact lived well beyond his friend Edward II’s death.

The battle of Falkirk didn’t go down quite the way it’s depicted in the film but the most idiotic plot of course was that at no point the Scots and Irish did stop in the middle of the battle to shake hands and make nice. Pure fantasy...

This is a historical documentary on Edward Bruce in Ireland during his 1315 invasion and attempts to conquer Ireland from the English,so far I don't think that the movie Braveheart has been mentioned :flowers:

Imagine had Edward succeeded and became King of Ireland!

Episode 1 is available on the RTE Player

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10365020/

Last edited:
"William, Kate & George: A New Royal Family" Documentary 2015

"William, Kate & George: A New Royal Family" A Reelz Channel Documentary Premiere's April 8th 9pm-

"The hour-long documentary will look at the worldwide popularity of Prince William, Kate and Prince George and how this young family has captured the public’s attention."

"If you miss the initial airing of the documentary, you can have the chance to catch up with it again on Thursday 9th April at 11pm ET/ 8pm PT, Saturday 11th April at 1pm ET/ 10am PT, and Sunday 12th April at 3pm ET/ 12pm PT and again at 2am ET/ 11pm PT.

This documentary is an Imagicians production for Odyssey Television."

Preview: ‘William, Kate & George: A New Royal Family’ documentary to premiere on REELZ

REELZ Specials on ReelzChannel

It seems silly to me that the producers couldn't wait until after the new baby is born to make this documentary. Now, it is out of date before it even airs.:bang:

Reminder-
Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 6h 6 hours ago
Tonight marks the premiere of the new documentary 'William, Kate & George: A New Royal Family’ on REELZ

Not exactly a documentary I am going to watch right now, perhaps later, thanks for the fyi. They lost my interest at the wedding. Now it's all fun and games about the next child coming into the world. The last one was a girl, what will the next be? Kind of thing. They lost appeal and continue to loose it until she winds up pregnant. Then they will age and the history will be entertaining. Prince Charles has more entertaining history and so does his sister. Duke William and Dutchess Kate are too young to be of any interest besides them being a family. When you have a family of your own, they loose appeal past what charitable thing they are doing and fashionable item they are wearing. Maybe the show will add light and give them some interest, perhaps they will come across more like people and less like some kind of image in it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Armada :12 Days to Save England

Armada: 12 Days To Save England

Dan Snow takes to the sea to tell the story of how England came within a whisker of disaster in summer 1588. Anita Dobson stars as Elizabeth I.

Starts on Sunday May 24th on BBC2.

BBC Two - Armada: 12 Days to Save England

Anyone in Oz who missed the cinema release of this doco - it is now being shown on the "Bio" channel from Monday 8th June.

IN THEIR OWN WORDS: Premieres Tuesday, September 1, 2015 on PBS (USA)
Queen Elizabeth II-

Follow Queen Elizabeth II’s remarkable life from youth through her 60-year reign.
In Their Own Words | PBS Programs | PBS

Sneak Peek of Queen Elizabeth on PBS's New In Their Own Words : People.com

Thank you!! We watch a lot of PBS, but not seen anything about this as of yet.. Will have to remember to watch this, which considering my Jays are red hot and in the middle of an American League East Pennant Race w/the New York Yankees....I hope I can remember it's coming on, at the same time... :D

I saw upthread someone asking about Documentaries about King George V and Queen Mary's other children. There is an excellent one about poor Prince John over at YouTube. On the iPadd, so can't link, but it's called Prince John : The Tragic Secret of the Windsors.

Another excellent one about a very much neglected Windsor Family Member I also stumbled on over there, is one about King GeorgeV's late Brother Prince Albert Victor, but known as Eddy. It's called Prince Eddy : The King We Never Had.

Thought I'd add those for those interested. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

IN THEIR OWN WORDS: Premieres Tuesday, September 1, 2015 on PBS (USA)
Queen Elizabeth II-

Follow Queen Elizabeth II’s remarkable life from youth through her 60-year reign.
In Their Own Words | PBS Programs | PBS

Sneak Peek of Queen Elizabeth on PBS's New In Their Own Words : People.com

Thank you for letting us know! Can't wait to watch.

Thank you!! We watch a lot of PBS, but not seen anything about this as of yet.. Will have to remember to watch this, which considering my Jays are red hot and in the middle of an American League East Pennant Race w/the New York Yankees....I hope I can remember it's coming on, at the same time... :D

I saw upthread someone asking about Documentaries about King George V and Queen Mary's other children. There is an excellent one about poor Prince John over at YouTube. On the iPadd, so can't link, but it's called Prince John : The Tragic Secret of the Windsors.

Another excellent one about a very much neglected Windsor Family Member I also stumbled on over there, is one about King GeorgeV's late Brother Prince Albert Victor, but known as Eddy. It's called Prince Eddy : The King We Never Had.

Thought I'd add those for those interested. :)

Excellent! There's no such thing as too many Royal documentaries, at least for me, the history nerd. I'll be sure to check this out.

The Queen's Longest Reign: Elizabeth & Victoria (BBC One)

In connection with HM's milestone, I'm currently watching a documentary called The Queen's Longest Reign: Elizabeth & Victoria on the BBC. Are any of our other UK posters watching? I'm finding it rather interesting, and there's some nice detail that I didn't know about beforehand in the documentary (such as HM being taught to iron her presents as a little girl in Scotland).

I haven't finished watching it yet, though I will let you know my full thoughts once I have. Here is a short article and a link to the documentary, though I can't tell if it works outside the UK:

BBC One - The Queen's Longest Reign: Elizabeth & Victoria

I'm recording it but will watch it later,hope you're enjoying!

I keep missing these documentaries but will watch it on catch up unless somehow I have managed to record it.

The Stuarts in Exile

The Stuarts in Exile

On BBC4 right now with part 2 next week.

The Game of Crowns The first of a two-part documentary in which Dr Clare Jackson recalls Prince James Francis Stuart's audacious and long-running rebellion to reclaim his throne from the Hanoverian king George I. She tells the story of the Stuarts in exile and sheds new light on the political, military and cultural threat the Jacobites posed to the embryonic British state, polarising public opinion in the process

The Stuarts in Exile (Game of Crowns) on BBC4, Wed 28 Oct 3:00am - TVGuide.co.uk Mobile

http://www.clare-jackson.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Stuarts-in-Exile-TX.png

Back
Top Bottom