The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-04-2013, 12:54 AM
Majesty

Video:
Secrets of Henry VIII's Palace- Full Documentary:
"Hampton Court is the ultimate royal pleasure palace — embodying the indulgent and grandiose kingship built by Cardinal Wolsey and developed by Henry VIII. Through its rooms, chart King Henry VIII’s decline from fit young warrior to bloated womanizer and recall the vivid stories of the ladies who became his queens."
Video: Secrets of Henry VIII's Palace | Watch Secrets of the Manor House Online | PBS Video

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Majesty

RoyalKateDebate ‏@RoyalKateDebate 1h
Tonight at 9.30 on Sky Arts, 'Royalty Close Up', tonight's ep. all about photographing Will, Kate & Harry via @myroyalobsess

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Majesty

Video: ZDF Documentary
A Baby for William and Kate: Offspring of the Windsor's-
Ein Baby für William und Kate - ZDF.de

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-02-2013, 03:08 AM
Administrator

Rise of public interest in the Plantagenets

the Plantagenets at royalcentral.co.uk

Are the Plantagenets becoming the "new" Tudors on television?

introduction

The Tudors are most definitely one of, or possibly the, most famous dynasty to rule in England’s history. Thousands of books, novels, radio shows, plays, films and television programmes have been based around the lives, politics, religion and romances of the Tudor age. The period of 1485 to 1603 is one of the most popular periods to teach in history classes in schools and sixth forms across the country, which allows some variation to the heavily modern syllabuses we tend to see in schools. The Tudors certainly include some brilliant ‘characters’ for us to learn about. However, recently the Tudors’ ancestors, the Plantagenets, have taken on a more central role in scholarly and fictional work, which has influenced what has been broadcasted on our television screens more than you may think. - See more at: http://www.royalcentral.co.uk/blogs/...-on-television.

Many people I have discussed the Plantagenets with have confessed they retain a lot less knowledge of this dynasty compared to the Tudors. The Plantagenet line began when Geoffrey Plantagenet, Count of Anjou, married Empress Matilda, daughter and heir of Henry I, in 1128. In a nutshell, after Henry I’s death in 1135 a period of anarchy broke out between Stephen I and Matilda as a succession crisis emerged. They finally agreed that if Stephen were to die without issue (which he did), then Matilda and Geoffrey’s son Henry would become the next in line to the throne. The Plantagenet monarchy had begun, and continued for over three centuries later until 1485 with the death of Richard III at the Battle of Bosworth.

This vast space of time saw the murder of an archbishop, a crusading king, the sealing of Magna Carta, the Black Death, the Hundred Years War, the expansion of the merchant class and the bloody cousins rivalry between the houses of York and Lancaster, just to name a few events.

It was because of these events that many historians have recently dived back into the archives to discover the truths of this dynamic period which has been typically overlooked in favour of the illustrious Tudor kings and queens. Alongside this, historical novelists such as Philippa Gregory and Alison Weir have also encouraged the publics’ view of the medieval period. The current television production of ‘The White Queen’ based on Gregory’s book series surrounding the Cousins War will undoubtedly persuade some Tudor fans to take a step back in time and look at the monarchs previous to the Tudors. (Gregory’s television series may also turn out to be somewhat more accurate in historical events compared to the BBC’s ‘The Tudors’ which is notorious for glamorising the period and twisting history; although it was good entertainment).

Read more at royalcentral.co.uk
Old 08-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Majesty

Best Film I think was ever made on the late Princess of Wales:

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Majesty

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-09-2013, 12:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As much as I appreciate and would love to watch these videos, when an abundance of videos are uploaded into a thread, it does tend to freeze up my computer. I had to wait 10 minutes before I could write this reply. My computer is not the newest nor the fastest but for the most part it handles things nicely.

Perhaps it'd be easier on you too to just post the links?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Majesty

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 09-28-2013, 01:29 AM
Majesty

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

There's a new documentary series on Channel 5 called "The Royals". The first episode, "Royal Babies" has just finished:

Royal Babies | Royal Babies | Channel 5
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 10-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

I just watched it and we didn't really learn anything new. It is true that Andrew and Edward had a much better childhood than Charles and Anne, and Diana definitely changed the way Royal mums raised their children. We knew all this though. Channel 5 are HUGE Monarchists though so they have a lot of royal shows.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I just watched it and we didn't really learn anything new. It is true that Andrew and Edward had a much better childhood than Charles and Anne, and Diana definitely changed the way Royal mums raised their children. We knew all this though. Channel 5 are HUGE Monarchists though so they have a lot of royal shows.
Although I'm not British, I would enjoy seeing some of the royal shows across the pond!
I have seen some documentaries on Youtube about the Royal Family, and about Queen Victoria, Haemophilia in the RF, etc. What are you all's opinions of those?
Old 10-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Was watching the DVD of Bertie and Elizabeth tonight, and had a few questions- can you only watch the introduction with the host if you choose introduction from the scene selection, and what are DVD Rom features?
Old 10-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Was watching the DVD of Bertie and Elizabeth tonight, and had a few questions- can you only watch the introduction with the host if you choose introduction from the scene selection, and what are DVD Rom features?
Google is your best bet. DVD-Rom features are usually subtitles or audio help.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Majesty

Clip from the Documentary: The Queen's Ancestors-
neue artfilm GmbH - Abgeschlossen

I didn't get a chance to see this doc.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Majesty

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Has anyone been watching the documentary last year cover on the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, called Our Queen, directed by Michael Waldman? I have just seen the DVD is released and want to ask whether the documentary focuses on HM's life or specificly on the Diamond Jubilee intensively like the documentary the Royal Family at Work a few years ago.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 12-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Gentry

Bertie and Elizabeth (2002)

I've been re-watching the aforementioned and only just realised that Prince George, Duke of Kent isn't even hinted at let alone mentioned.

I would have thought they might have briefly mentioned his reaction to Edward VIII's abdication (beyond angry) or even the Dukes death in the air crash when it was covering the war years but there was nothing which is surprising because I remember reading somewhere that the King was very upset by the death of his younger brother.

Same with the Princess Royal or the Duke of Gloucester...not a single mention that I can recall.

I know the story was focused on King George VI and Queen Elizabeth but I cannot work out why they would practically ignore half of the family.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Majesty

Yeah, I noticed the King's other siblings weren't mentioned and the focus remained on Edward VIII. George VI and Queen Elizabeth.

I would like to see a film made about King George V and Queen Mary and their family.

Dr. Maya Angelou

Tags
haakon vii, maud, olav v