British Royal Family: Documentaries, DVDs, Films and TV shows

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone been watching the documentary last year cover on the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, called Our Queen, directed by Michael Waldman? I have just seen the DVD is released and want to ask whether the documentary focuses on HM's life or specificly on the Diamond Jubilee intensively like the documentary the Royal Family at Work a few years ago.

Bertie and Elizabeth (2002)

I've been re-watching the aforementioned and only just realised that Prince George, Duke of Kent isn't even hinted at let alone mentioned.

I would have thought they might have briefly mentioned his reaction to Edward VIII's abdication (beyond angry) or even the Dukes death in the air crash when it was covering the war years but there was nothing which is surprising because I remember reading somewhere that the King was very upset by the death of his younger brother.

Same with the Princess Royal or the Duke of Gloucester...not a single mention that I can recall.

I know the story was focused on King George VI and Queen Elizabeth but I cannot work out why they would practically ignore half of the family.

Yeah, I noticed the King's other siblings weren't mentioned and the focus remained on Edward VIII. George VI and Queen Elizabeth.

I would like to see a film made about King George V and Queen Mary and their family.

Yeah, I noticed the King's other siblings weren't mentioned and the focus remained on Edward VIII. George VI and Queen Elizabeth.

I would like to see a film made about King George V and Queen Mary and their family.

The only documentary/films made about George and Mary I can think of are The Lost Prince by Stephen Poliakoff (predominantly about Prince John) and King George and Queen Marry: The Royals Who Rescued The Monarchy both made by the BBC.

I dont think there is a better documentary on lives/family of george V and mary than.."George V and Mary: Royals who rescued Monarchy".. But even in that there is hardly any focus on the "other children"..Its all David and Bertie..
See it happens anywhere..tell me which royal documentary on EII's reign/family focusses on Anne/Andrew/Edward..Same..they are all side-kicks.unless there is a spicy scandal/controversy/shady life no one is interested in them. If Margaret quietly married and lived a "normal" life she too would have passe off quietly..All the documentaries on her are just becuse of her "other than normal" life..

If you haven't already seen this documentary, I hope you get a chance to sit back and watch it now. This documentary not only tell you about the love story of the late King & Queen but it includes the most amazing and rarely seen photos and reels of Their Majesty's and the princesses Elizabeth & Margaret. Albert & Elizabeth really tried to present a real family unit to the British people and Empire. They took their young children with them to a great deal of official engagements and official tours. You could really see the closeness of the family and how they enjoyed going about their official duties as a family.

I hope we see a little of the King & Queen's influence in the Cambridge's when they come to the throne.

Documentary:
King George VI & Queen Elizabeth: A Royal Love Story-
Documentary about George VI and his wife Elizabeth, King and Queen consort of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions. The story of Albert (his name before he became King) and Elizabeth, is one of goodness growing into greatness. In a short reign, just 14 years, they created an ideal of the British Royal Family. This documentary examines the legacy they built, a legacy that lives on in the way that their eldest daughter, Queen Elizabeth II, rules today-
King George VI & Queen Elizabeth - YouTube

Video:
Countryfile- A Royal Appointment:

The Highgrove Estate in Gloucestershire has been the family home of the Prince of Wales for more than 30 years. Situated in the heart of the Cotswolds near Tetbury, the estate includes 1,100 acres of farmland, known as Duchy Home Farm. The Prince himself refers to it as `Old MacDonald's Farm' because there's a bit of everything. It's a mix of arable and livestock, all run organically. Like any farm there are jobs to do all year round from harvesting in late summer to calving in winter -- all managed by David Wilson. And, as Adam discovered, the Prince's farm is just like his -- with good days and bad-

Not Adam's Farm Countryfile 10 03 2013 - YouTube

I watched the program live and I think it made a point in that there's always been a fascination with royalty and their fashionable wardrobe. The era and technology as changed but the fascination with the royals and their fashion remains relevant to this day.

Thank you for the heads up about this. Can't wait, as I think learning more about Prince Charles and his method of painting w/Watercolour should be fascinating, as he truly does have a really good eye for light and colour. Plus working w/Watercolours is not the easiest method of painting to do period.

I have a copy of his book of Watercolours he put out a number of years ago and there's one of Windsor Castle he did that I'd love to have a framed copy of on my wall. The detail, the lighting...It's just gorgeous!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

During September, channel CBC will be showing five brand new documentaries focusing on different members of the royal family for ‘Royals Month’ on the Canadian channel. These enlightening documentaries will reveal more to audiences about the lives of the royals through exclusive interviews with some members of the royal family, commentators and staff members.
‘Royals Month’ begins this Friday. More information about each documentary can be found below:
Preview: Five new documentaries for ‘Royals Month’ on CBC

Secrets of Westminster (2014) PBS documentary

I viewed the PBS program Secrets of Westminster.
There were many interesting facts to learn about Westminster Abbey, Parliament, and Big Ben.
The coronation chair had originally been covered with gold.
The Stone of Destiny was stolen on Christmas Eve of 1950.
In 1996 the Stone of Destiny was returned to Scotland.
Big Ben's Tower was first called Saint Stephen's.

Royals Month CBC

Is there anyone with links to the 5 episode documentarie series of last september?

Or anyone that might be willing to upload it?

I haven't been able to watch it, since I was on holliday and I would really like to see this series :)

The Whitehall Palace set of "Elizabeth I" was constructed to scale from the original plans.

I did not like this film at all even though I loved the first one. It was too chick flick (forgive the vulgar expression) despite the superb acting skills of both Cate and Clive. I was not surprise that it was not as good as the first, sequels seldom are.

I completely agree. I got it in the bargain basket at a Blockbuster video store and paid $5, which was about all it was worth.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom