The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-16-2017, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

It's not up to the monarch to defend the freedom of the press. The monarch doesn't have a veto over the elected Parliament. It is a puppet monarchy. It has been for a long time. Basically since the Glorious Revolution.

If Parliament sent a bill ending the monarchy, the monarch would have to sign it.

I have the program on my DVR but I don't think I will watch it if it's all Charles being Eeyore like. I also find it laughable that after the War of Wales that Charles would somehow defend the press.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:32 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It's not up to the monarch to defend the freedom of the press. The monarch doesn't have a veto over the elected Parliament. It is a puppet monarchy. It has been for a long time. Basically since the Glorious Revolution.

If Parliament sent a bill ending the monarchy, the monarch would have to sign it.

I have the program on my DVR but I don't think I will watch it if it's all Charles being Eeyore like. I also find it laughable that after the War of Wales that Charles would somehow defend the press.
Agreed. Charles was completely in the wrong here. I don't understand the sympathy for him. He brought the ending on himself.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:36 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
That's why I had the feeling that the whole presentation was of a surreal nature and not representative of the reality of Charles' actually becoming King. There was one part where Charles declares he's going to bed and I was half expecting the line "perchance to dream". It seemed reflective of Hamlet where its stated “To die, to sleep – to sleep, perchance to dream – aye, there's the rub, for in this sleep of death what dreams may come…” This is said by Hamlet to himself when he thinks he is alone"

What made it more obvious to me that it was surreal was at the very beginning Charles walks out of the Abbey on his own and addresses the camera as if he's vocalizing his inner thoughts a la Hamlet. That set the tone of the entire presentation for me.

From what had been remarked on with the appearances of Diana's ghost during the whole thing, I found it to be, looking at the presentation as I did, appropriate that no matter what had transpired between Charles and Diana in reality, its effects were still felt by Charles as an older man as haunting memories.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

The 'impressions' being given by those who have not seen the show are not helpful - especially given that others (rightly or wrongly) are being careful not to give away the plot. But it makes it a strange thread with all the dissing of a show being done by those who have not seen the show.

The conundrum that confronts Charles is an interesting one, but I think it is used as a devise to explore the 'what if' one had a monarch who had definite ethical boundaries that a piece of legislation crossed? It's a relevant question. How would that work?

The ending is wrenching in my view because it signifies the loss of an ethical stand in favor of ambition and the will to status and power. Very interesting writing imo. (In which the 'next generation' perforce is also a devise to make a point).
Old 05-16-2017, 03:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
The 'impressions' being given by those who have not seen the show are not helpful - especially given that others (rightly or wrongly) are being careful not to give away the plot. But it makes it a strange thread with all the dissing of a show being done by those who have not seen the show.

The conundrum that confronts Charles is an interesting one, but I think it is used as a devise to explore the 'what if' one had a monarch who had definite ethical boundaries that a piece of legislation crossed? It's a relevant question. How would that work?

The ending is wrenching in my view because it signifies the loss of an ethical stand in favor of ambition and the will to status and power. Very interesting writing imo. (In which the 'next generation' perforce is also a devise to make a point).

In any case, there is a legal issue that makes the play implausible: the monarch lost the power to dissolve parliament unilaterally when the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act came into effect (if I'm not mistaken, in 2011). Parliament is now automatically dissolved 25 working days before the date of a general election and a general election is held only in three circumstances:

1. On the first Thursday of May in the fifth calendar year following the last general election.
  2. If the House of Commons, by a majority of two-thirds, passes a motion deciding that there should be an early parliamentary election.
  3. If the House of Commons, by a plurality, passes a motion of no confidence in the government and, within 14 days, does not pass another motion of confidence (presumably in an alternative government).
Under circumstances (2) and (3), the date of the extraordinary election is then set out by royal proclamation on the recommendation of the prime minister. The latter is actually the only part of the process where the king is formally involved. Furthermore, Section 3(2) of the aforementioned act is explicit in saying that : "Parliament cannot otherwise be dissolved ".

Since the play premiered in 2014, one would expect the author to have done better research before writing it.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

I suppose I'll catch it sooner or later, but I nevr mind spoiling an ending. however it sounds like sub standard House of Cards fare./
Old 05-16-2017, 03:27 PM
Nobility

As a prediction of the future, the show is not interesting or credible. As an exercise in creating a Shakespearean play using modern characters, I found it an interesting exercise.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
As a prediction of the future, the show is not interesting or credible. As an exercise in creating a Shakespearean play using modern characters, I found it an interesting exercise.
I diasagree. I think it posits a possibility (however it might come about). The mechanisms the playwright decided to use may be questionable but the premise is fascinating imo.

I wish IMDb still had their discussion boards. This is an example of where some good informative conversation would take place. There are 11 reviews about 50/50 pro/con - but there are about 4 solid reviews worth reading.

BTW I think the Shakespearean aspect is what lifts the play into the realm of a higher consideration. As one reviewer states it assures it's not mistaken for a soap opera. The language makes certain that one doesn't mistake the play for a mere biopic.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:34 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Another thing is the creative aspect of the play as an art form. Some people may see one thing while another sees something else. I saw something completely different from what most people saw and that's OK as I got my own meaning and synopsis out of the work.

Perhaps too we've become so used to what we see presented on TV as being made to be as true to real life as possible (disregarding of course reality TV) that its very easy to overlook the hidden messages what the playwright was trying to portray in his work.

The whole show to me was too surreal to even begin to think that it was meant to be an "what if" scenario that could be based in reality. The characters portrayed in the show, although based on real, actual living persons, were totally portrayed as having totally different character makeups than they actually do in real life. Charles as a simpering spineless creature and at times made one wonder if his character was based on George III, Harry as a mindless wimp that blindly does what he's told and William as the proverbial henpecked husband with Kate as the pushy wife using William as her robot to do her bidding

One unreal scene was when Charles greets Kate and gushes about just how beautiful she is and how much she's brought to the family as if Kate was the anchor that kept the boat stable. Totally unreal.

It definitely was interesting.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post

I wish IMDb still had their discussion boards. This is an example of where some good informative conversation would take place. There are 11 reviews about 50/50 pro/con - but there are about 4 solid reviews worth reading
Off topic, but moviechat.org is trying to fill the void but not too many have found it.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Off topic, but moviechat.org is trying to fill the void but not too many have found it.
Thank you. I'll take a look.

LATER: I see what you mean: not many have found it.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Check your local PBS station. They're the ones that carry Masterpiece Theater and where I've been able to find "King Charles III" air times.
Thanks. I found a King Charles III movie. Is that it or is it a series?
Old 05-17-2017, 05:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
Thanks. I found a King Charles III movie. Is that it or is it a series?
It is a TV Movie. Also, in the US the DVD version may be released the end of June.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:03 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The whole show to me was too surreal to even begin to think that it was meant to be an "what if" scenario that could be based in reality. The characters portrayed in the show, although based on real, actual living persons, were totally portrayed as having totally different character makeups than they actually do in real life.
OK, I've watched it now. Wow. I really enjoyed that, as unreal as it was.

I agree that the characters were mostly fairly different from what they are in real life, although I do think it tapped in quite adeptly to some of the media portrayals of each of these people, almost showing through exaggeration how silly those portrayals have been:

-an extrapolation of Kate the "Wisteria Sister," always climbing, always striving, always scheming

-Harry the lost soul - he's not been portrayed that way in a while, but I remember that briefly being the tabloid line around the time this play was written

- Camilla's loyalty to Charles as being blind and almost stupid, something that was certainly thrown about during the War of the Windsors days

- Charles as not interested in keeping the custom of royals keeping their opinions to themselves, no matter the consequences. This is the one that perhaps hits closest to the truth...see: Charles on architecture, on organic agriculture, on alternative medicine

Mostly, though, I saw it as using Charles' track record of pushing the limits of royal meddling as an jumping off point for explore how tenuous it could potentially be for any constitutional monarchy to limit the sovreign through custom and expectation more than by actual, written constitution.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
OK, I've watched it now. Wow. I really enjoyed that, as unreal as it was.

I agree that the characters were mostly fairly different from what they are in real life, although I do think it tapped in quite adeptly to some of the media portrayals of each of these people, almost showing through exaggeration how silly those portrayals have been.
Yes, I agree. One lens through which to see it, especially the ending. Would one really be happy with such an event occurring in the end? If anything the ending (like a reviewer stated) would make anyone a republican! Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
Mostly, though, I saw it as using Charles' track record of pushing the limits of royal meddling as an jumping off point for explore how tenuous it could potentially be for any constitutional monarchy to limit the sovreign through custom and expectation more than by actual, written constitution.
But Charles is a man of integrity, and I think it is an interesting question: if someone like Charles (as monarch) discovered he was being asked to put his name to something he could not in good conscience support (in this case having to do with curtailing the freedom of the press) what does that monarch do?