The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-14-2017, 03:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
talk as if he just inherited the throne from Elizabeth I.
I'm afraid you have fundamentally failed to grasp the reason 'iambic pentameter' was used for all the speech, [except Harry's and his girlfriend's]
This is the form of speech used in Shakespeare and thus places 'Charles lll' in the same 'space' as Shakespeare's 'History Plays'.
Thus a play set 'in the near future', immediately becomes linked [in British minds'] with some of our greatest narratives, and there were MANY parallels to Shakespeare plays [aside from the language].
Diana's ghost/Banquo's ghost in Macbeth..for example, and Diana's deliberately ambiguity in telling both Charles and William they would be 'the greatest King'. Ambiguity was one of Shakespeares oft used tools..
And Catherine as an ambitious 'Lady Macbeth' figure [tho'markedly less bloody].
On balance I found it more interesting than satisfactory [it was peppered with inaccuracies], and [as a British Monarchist] I felt curiously 'disloyal' watching it..

Old 05-14-2017, 05:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I'm afraid you have fundamentally failed to grasp the reason 'iambic pentameter' was used for all the speech, [except Harry's and his girlfriend's]
This is the form of speech used in Shakespeare and thus places 'Charles lll' in the same 'space' as Shakespeare's 'History Plays'.
Thus a play set 'in the near future', immediately becomes linked [in British minds'] with some of our greatest narratives, and there were MANY parallels to Shakespeare plays [aside from the language].
Diana's ghost/Banquo's ghost in Macbeth..for example, and Diana's deliberately ambiguity in telling both Charles and William they would be 'the greatest King'. Ambiguity was one of Shakespeares oft used tools..
And Catherine as an ambitious 'Lady Macbeth' figure [tho'markedly less bloody].
On balance I found it more interesting than satisfactory [it was peppered with inaccuracies], and [as a British Monarchist] I felt curiously 'disloyal' watching it..
I understand all of that and it's the reason why I turned my computer off and was very sorry I even made the effort to watch. The whole thing was incredibly distasteful. That was just episode 1.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-15-2017, 12:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

We are watching the show now on Masterpiece Theatre. I am loving it!

I personally think that the use of a 'starchy' formal English is inspired. Raises it above a soapy melodrama. Some interesting issues being discussed. Just 40 minutes in and we are riveted.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

I see the use of the the Diana character as essential to the whole psychological underpinnings of Charles, William and Harry. She does 'haunt'. Excellent.

The characterization of Catherine is amazing. Wow.

We are at the point where Charles dissolves the Parliament. What fun!

Anyone else watching this in the US?
Old 05-15-2017, 08:12 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I see the use of the the Diana character as essential to the whole psychological underpinnings of Charles, William and Harry. She does 'haunt'. Excellent.

The characterization of Catherine is amazing. Wow.

We are at the point where Charles dissolves the Parliament. What fun!

Anyone else watching this in the US?
I watched it last night also. I was very entertained by it. I liked the Kate character especially her monologue about her public persona. I don't understand nit picking historical inaccuracies in a play based on an alternative future.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:23 AM
Aristocracy

I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but I'm very interested to watch, especially given that it's taking the approach of riffing on Shakespearean speech and themes. Given that it's a total fiction about real people, I'd rather it not try to be too realistic. Better to be very clear, right down to the style chosen, that it's completely imaginary. Being able to see the contrast between the real people and the fictional ones is perhaps a good reminder that those great "history" plays of Shakespeare are also only lightly based on the actual history of the people who are their central characters.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but I'm very interested to watch, especially given that it's taking the approach of riffing on Shakespearean speech and themes. Given that it's a total fiction about real people, I'd rather it not try to be too realistic. Better to be very clear, right down to the style chosen, that it's completely imaginary. Being able to see the contrast between the real people and the fictional ones is perhaps a good reminder that those great "history" plays of Shakespeare are also only lightly based on the actual history of the people who are their central characters.
Well, yes and no. What makes it riveting is the 'reality' that is peppered into the stew pot that makes up the play.

I will say, when one sees the two who become King and Queen on the throne at the end, one does not feel good about it. JMO.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Also, the relationship between "Harry" and his girlfriend is a little too obvious. I bet this was a quick put together since it became known Harry and Meghan are dating.
As a play Charles III premiered in 2014, before Harry and Meghan were dating.

This program was an adaptation of the play.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Frankly, I have mixed feelings about the play and the TV adaptation. As a piece of contemporary Shakespearean drama, it is OK. However, despite being fictional, the play features real, living people in a near future and assigns certain Shakespearean-like roles to each of those people based, no doubt, on the author's subjective impression of their personalities.

In other words, the fiction in the play does not arise from nowhere or exist in a vacuum. Prince Charles, for example, has long been criticized for being too "political" and for testing the boundaries of acceptable behavior for a constitutional monarch. It is not entirely surprising then that the author would imagine him as possibly refusing to give royal assent to a bill and forcing a dissolution of parliament (although the latter would now be legally impossible for him to do actually). Likewise, I am pretty sure Kate, Camilla, William or Harry behave in the play in a way that wouldn't be inconceivable in the real world according to the author's perception. Part of that perception may be, however, offensive to the real-world persons in question , or may, either intentionally or unintentionally, reinforce some preconceived ideas the public may have about them.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:27 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I know I've said previously that I would not watch this program but the more I've read here about it, I've decided to watch it with an open mind. That's not to say its been easy by any means. It was more apt to say I'd watch it with closed eyes.

I missed the original broadcast last night and then had it programmed in for a later showing which was at 4 am my time. Needless to say, I fell asleep in my recliner during the first half hour of it. I've got it programmed to run again at 2:30 am later on and hopefully will be awake and alert to see it in its entirety.

One thing that did hit me was the reason Charles felt he could not sign the bill. It was assumed that by the experiences of intrusions by the press he'd be all for the curtailing of the press the bill would implement but as King, Charles weighed the implications more on the line of how it affected the nation's inalienable rights than how it affected him. This might be way off base as I've not seen much of what happened yet but that's my initial impression.

Somehow too, the Shakespearian quality of the words in Charles' thoughts seem fitting.

Now to brew a strong pot of coffee to assure I'm awake later on.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:54 PM
Nobility

Is King Charles III on anywhere in the United States?
Old 05-15-2017, 07:06 PM
Majesty

Check your local PBS station. They're the ones that carry Masterpiece Theater and where I've been able to find "King Charles III" air times.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

It aired on PBS last night. Probably on the PBS website by now.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:38 PM
Heir Apparent

It made me feel sorry for Charles, and feel angry with Kate, William, and Harry (even though it's a work of fiction).
Old 05-16-2017, 12:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
It made me feel sorry for Charles, and feel angry with Kate, William, and Harry (even though it's a work of fiction).
In spades. Yes. Very powerful drama based on that alone.

P.S. Look forward to discussing it with others who have seen it.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Do any Australian posters know if it's going to be aired here ?
Old 05-16-2017, 09:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Is it any good> I missed it.. I love the actor Tim Pigott Smith, but I'm sure ti will be on again
Old 05-16-2017, 10:24 AM
Majesty

After watching the show in its entirety, my first impression that it could have been billed as Charles' worst nightmare presented on stage/screen. The things that happened seem like they very well could be Charles' worst fears that *could* happen when he becomes King.

Charles has always been a man that, over his lifetime, has fretted about his own self esteem and his purposes and doing things the right way and with a purpose which was clearly depicted by him standing up as a monarch to defend the freedom of the press rather than be bullied into being a puppet king.

In the long run, the eventual ending actually showed Charles' inner feelings about his family over his duty as a monarch. The way it came about, to me, did not portray how his sons (and Kate) actually are in real life but what Charles could have feared his sons may turn out like should that situation arise. More or less, the worst possible scenario.

The use of the Shakespearean way of conversing, to me, portrays the unreal quality of the whole program as if Charles was in a dream and transposed a Shakespearean tragedy onto his nightmare of fears.

It was actually a very novel way to present the screenplay I think. I'm actually glad I watched it.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

sounds pretty awful... pretentious, silly.. and I would have said that it would be better to leave the sons out of it.. unless they're trying to take over from him??
Old 05-16-2017, 11:08 AM
Majesty

Not going to spoil the plot of the story for you nor the ending.