The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
I also found this part amusing. I hope I can manuver like that at 81 too.
That's what I kept saying, I was like damn she can move fast!

Anyway it was pretty boring minus that part and the Annie photo session...

Old 03-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I saw the original 5.5 hrs when it was broadcast in Canada. I dont mind so much that Barbara presented an edited down version for America but I wish that she had at least got all her facts right when doing her bit.

The Queen was never heir apparent to her father, she was heiress presumtive. Princess Anne does not come after Charles, William, Henry, Andrew and Edward in the line of succession....Barbara forgot the 2 York princesses and the son and daughter of Edward who also preceed Anne.

Referring to the Crown Jewels as bling was a bit over the top too.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
but as you pointed out, most American commentators aren't experts in royalty
If they intend to show themselves as such on a national television broadcast, then they should at least try to be. Simply making statements that were quite obviously unresearched shouldn't be acceptable for a professional news team.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I'm still stuck on Annie L. Having the Queen wear her Garter Robes on a horse would have made HM look like... Zorro, right?

I noticed the heir presumptive/heir apparent bobble too --- and bling, which has to be the most over-used ghetto expression ever (besides, "wassup?"). Barbara's attempt to be cool, I guess.

I was taken by the differences in the voices of HM and the PoW versus Andrew and Edward. To this American ear the Queen speaks in a VERY high pitch (although she seems to have lowered it over the years), while Charles mumbles. The younger Windsors seem more intelligible to me. Is this part of a change in the speaking patterns of aristocratic English people?

Of course, I'm sure that they would have a few comments on my weird hybrid of regional American English!
Old 03-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I saw the original 5.5 hrs when it was broadcast in Canada. I dont mind so much that Barbara presented an edited down version for America but I wish that she had at least got all her facts right when doing her bit.

The Queen was never heir apparent to her father, she was heiress presumtive. Princess Anne does not come after Charles, William, Henry, Andrew and Edward in the line of succession....Barbara forgot the 2 York princesses and the son and daughter of Edward who also preceed Anne.

Referring to the Crown Jewels as bling was a bit over the top too.
And she called Beatrice by Eugenie's name...TWICE!
Old 03-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Serene Highness

Did Barbara Walters write the entire script? I have a feeling ABC just didn't bother doing all the research or want to spend the money to hire a historian/fact checker and figured Americans just wouldn't know.

Also, the whole Beatrice/Eugenie thing. I think the lady watching the balcony probably wouldn't tell them apart from afar and thought it
was Beatrice, and when they aired the footage, ABC just took her word for it, and the studio was just too lazy to search for a picture. Come to think of it, they could have just checked "their" myspace pages.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Nobility

The whole Barbara Walters special to me was a joke. It was like she never researched her material and several of the facts were dead wrong. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed getting up close and personal with Queen Elizabeth and I love how she threw a temper tantrum when they tried to get her to do her picture with her Garter Robes on the back of a horse. But ABC especially should have checked their facts before airing the special!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Courtier

Agree, agree, agree -- the errors were so obvious and easy to catch that I was surprised they managed to get through the editing process, especially the part about Anne being 5th in line behind her brothers and William & Harry!! Also, Laura Bush made a faux pas by referring to HM and HRH as "Their Majesties."
Old 03-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
Well that's obvious.

However, it clearly demostrates how terrible and incredibly lazy Barwa's research team is. I mean how hard is it to check and double check simple facts? The answer: It isn't. For anyone wanting to be a researcher for informative programs (i.e. 20/20, The History Channel, etc.), this is your que to hand in your CV asap to these people.
This is the surprising thing because when she was on the Today show in the 60s, Barbara Walters was known for her thorough research and meticulous interviewing. In fact, that's how she got the ABC anchor spot. She wrote a book called How to Talk with Practically Anybody about Anything and it was used as a primer in high school journalism classes for reporters. I still have it in my library and refer to it often.

Amazon.com: How to Talk With Practically Anybody About Practically Anything: Barbara Walters: Books

Oddly, some of her anecdotes in the book are about meeting and talking with members of the Royal Family and in that book she didn't make a mistake.

I'm sure she knew that some of this stuff was wrong but the question is why did she air it? I got a similar sensation when seeing the 60 minutes interview about Charles. Steven Kraft did it and it wasn't too good but 60 minutes is known for top notch reporting and interviewing.

It is almost as if they don't care about what they're reporting even though they know how to do it well; they just don't.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-05-2008, 09:38 PM

I remember seeing Babs interview Bette Davis and she did a good job. I wonder where it all went wrong?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I remember seeing Babs interview Bette Davis and she did a good job. I wonder where it all went wrong?
I saw that on youtube. Bette is

Barbara is just becoming as senile as Larry King...even on The View she is so annoying.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
I saw that on youtube. Bette is

Barbara is just becoming as senile as Larry King...even on The View she is so annoying.
This is too funny! And totally true.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Royal Highness

Well she is in her 70s now. I imagine things are slipping (I meant her mind, although I've heard rumors of face lift). There's an interview in this month's VOGUE (the american one) about her memoir coming out. It mentions her contract with ABC entails doing four specials per year (one being the year's most fascinating people) and The View. If this is her way of getting a special done and out of the way, tsk tsk Barbara!
Old 03-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
This is the surprising thing because when she was on the Today show in the 60s, Barbara Walters was known for her thorough research and meticulous interviewing. In fact, that's how she got the ABC anchor spot. She wrote a book called How to Talk with Practically Anybody about Anything and it was used as a primer in high school journalism classes for reporters. I still have it in my library and refer to it often.

Amazon.com: How to Talk With Practically Anybody About Practically Anything: Barbara Walters: Books

Oddly, some of her anecdotes in the book are about meeting and talking with members of the Royal Family and in that book she didn't make a mistake.

I'm sure she knew that some of this stuff was wrong but the question is why did she air it? I got a similar sensation when seeing the 60 minutes interview about Charles. Steven Kraft did it and it wasn't too good but 60 minutes is known for top notch reporting and interviewing.

It is almost as if they don't care about what they're reporting even though they know how to do it well; they just don't.
When she's on The View and the ladies are discussing the royal family, she is the most knowledgeable and will correct any errors the ladies or (if they're discussing a tabloid article) the media made. However, for this special, I think she was just handed a script to read in the recording studio and thus probably wasn't out checking the facts herself. Maybe we shouldn't be so harsh on her.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
Agree, agree, agree -- the errors were so obvious and easy to catch that I was surprised they managed to get through the editing process, especially the part about Anne being 5th in line behind her brothers and William & Harry!! Also, Laura Bush made a faux pas by referring to HM and HRH as "Their Majesties."
I noticed that Mr. Bush also referred to HM as Your Royal Highness. Or maybe he was using that as a collective reference to HM and the Duke (sort of like Southerners say "y'all"). That really bugs me when people refer to the Queen as Your Highness/Her Highness.

I guess I should be grateful that he didn't grab the Queen and give her a neck rub a la Angela Merkel.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Royal Highness

And I guess we should be grateful she visted now, instead of 8 years ago, or the one before him might have tried to hit on her and seduce her on a couch in the oval office... ;-)
Old 03-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Majesty

I have a hard time making out William and Harry. I find the older folks easier to understand. The Queen's pitch has definitely lowered, and she doesn't sound so much like cut glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I'm still stuck on Annie L. Having the Queen wear her Garter Robes on a horse would have made HM look like... Zorro, right?

I noticed the heir presumptive/heir apparent bobble too --- and bling, which has to be the most over-used ghetto expression ever (besides, "wassup?"). Barbara's attempt to be cool, I guess.

I was taken by the differences in the voices of HM and the PoW versus Andrew and Edward. To this American ear the Queen speaks in a VERY high pitch (although she seems to have lowered it over the years), while Charles mumbles. The younger Windsors seem more intelligible to me. Is this part of a change in the speaking patterns of aristocratic English people?

Of course, I'm sure that they would have a few comments on my weird hybrid of regional American English!
Old 03-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Majesty

What was it called up here? Did CBC run it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I saw the original 5.5 hrs when it was broadcast in Canada. .
Old 03-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Majesty

That sounds like plot for a reality show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspate View Post
I enjoyed watching the special but I have to admit I was disappointed because I was expecting to see more of her private life. Everything shown was public. I was expecting to see a little more about a day in the life of Queen Elizabeth and the other royals....behind closed doors.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Aristocracy

Wink Katharine Hepburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
If you were a tree, what tree would you be?--that's the interview featuring that infamous question.
Barbwa said at one point she was still living that question down and I think it's been hit or miss ever since
I'm still amazed that she ever got as far as she did in tv journalism with that speech impediment of hers. NBC must have been desperate for a female onscreen at that point (late 60s, early 70s).