The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Courtier

Who cares about the next generation?! I found The Queen and her husband The Duke to be plenty and enough for this documentary. I would have enjoyed twice as much of her and him; what a life they have led, with honor and with courage! When she leaves, the last of true Majesty will go from the shores of her country.

( I cringed each time the Bushes came on - so paltry by comparison. Bush welcoming "Their Majesties" at the State dinner as I shrieked "HER Majesty, HIS Royal Highness!" and when the foursome turned to go into the White House, Laura Bush extending her hand to herd The Duke through the door, like he was some animal on her ranch - ugh! I adored his quick side-step and left-hand-across-his-back to duck and cover.)

Yes, Americans still swoon over The Queen, the way they won't over the "next generation." She is quite simply astonishing, and this documentary underscores that. My BIL participated in the ceremonies at Jamestown and Williamsburg, as a member of the Queens Rangers. It was thrilling seeing Her Majesty live at my alma mater, and to re-see it last night.

And The Duke! I've always had a soft spot for him, but I can see - even with the years and the mileage on him - what The Queen saw when she fell for him all those years ago.

Long live The Queen! Long live The Duke!

Old 03-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Aristocracy

Ok it was nice but, Boaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi4 View Post
I think it was probably heavily edited. I doubt that that was much of a real glimpse at all. But I enjoyed every second.

it was a good show. But, Like someone said, just a rehash of a PBS special.

& Eventhough, I did like it. I agree it was very very heavly edited. BIG TIME.

I too wish that it was longer.

But, it was good( Not great, it won't be winning any awards or anythiing.) But, it was good.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
I for one care about the next generation as well as everyone should who follows diplomatic relationship between our countries. If this had been a series, maybe more would've been reported them. However, the main focus of should've been exactly what it was which was the queen.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
Would the Queen ever wear her Garter Robes while mounted on a horse? Don't think so -- what brain surgeon would come up with such a demented idea.

Reminds me of the scene in The Princess Diaries when Julie Andrews walks around wearing a crown and a business suit. Now, what queen in real life would do that??

People who don't pay attention to these matters have some of the weirdest ideas.
I totally agree. That idea was WAY out there, even for Annie L.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
I missed the show due to an emergency but got an email from a friend wanting to know about the Queen's drink that was mentioned...Something about 2 cubes of ice and a ratio of 70/30. Information on Her Majesty's potent potable will be much appreciated! Thanx!
It was gin and Dubonnet. And a slice of lemon, I think.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Aristocracy

Having seen this part (the predictable stuff) just made me want to see the BBC version. I did like the bits they did manage to show of the Queen and family, some background goings on. Could have done without Barbara.
I did like the photo session part (commented on at the time in another thread), Annie L. was totally out of line with some of her suggestions but the Queen did laugh it off--not edited here as if she stormed out of the session. Of course, Her Majesty won out and got her way (as she should).
A horse inside Buckingham Palace? Please!

I also liked the shot of the Queen peeking over the stairs waiting for the President of Ghana (Gambia? escapes me now) to come up, Prince Phillip having to use the freight elevator. Just shows a glimpse of the inner girl keeping her young at heart. I hope I'm that agile and alert at 81.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
Five minutes into this program, and there are many mistakes made on Barwa's part. Someone should email her, via the View, and tell her how incredibly sloppy her reporting is/was.

Commentary in the beginning of the program is clearly tailored for an American audience... I'm so embarrassed.
I wanted to slap the speech impediment out of her when she said five males would have to die before The Princess Royal Anne would take the throne.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Royal Highness

I was very disappointed in this "special". I understood it was going to be a cut-down version of the 5 1/2 hour BBC documentary of a year in the life of the Queen, but I also saw it billed in the tv guide as a look at the private lives of the royals. Boy, was that misleading! What we saw was royals performing their public duties - meet & greats with the public, state visits, opening of parliment. Nothing private in that. And speaking of state visits, did they really need to devote roughly half of the program to the Queen's visit to the US last year? Seeing as how this program was airing in the US and we all lived through that event and the accompanying press coverage, I think they could have skipped that part and shown us other things instead. I will say the part I found interesting was Princess Anne and Prince Edward talking about how they felt when they were young and started carrying royal duties as compared to now. overall I'd say it was a waste of tape, except my mom missed most of it and so she can watch my recording of it.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picmajik View Post
I also liked the shot of the Queen peeking over the stairs waiting for the President of Ghana to come up, Prince Phillip having to use the freight elevator. Just shows a glimpse of the inner girl keeping her young at heart. I hope I'm that agile and alert at 81.
I also found this part amusing. I hope I can manuver like that at 81 too.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenw View Post
It was gin and Dubonnet. And a slice of lemon, I think.
Thanks,ellen. I was wondering what her drink was too, but I couldn't understand the man entirely, as I could only make out his explanation about the ice on top. What did he mean when he said, it's just for HM? Only HM has that kind of drink, or she has a specially cyphered glass? I thought all the glasses bear her cypher at the palace parties.
Thanks again for answering the question about the drink. I really did want to know it.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Commoner

I also found it far too short (perhaps 1/3 the length of the original, if you subtract the Barbara Walters intros after every commercial), and most likely re-edited for the American audience. I can't imagine that the American visit segment was as lengthy and foregrounded for audiences outside the US. It didn't add anything, and it made us look provincial.

I did like the segment where the cameras caught Prince Charles making small talk with a pregnant woman while they watched local children dancing. He's genuinely good at it, and he did seem warmer and more human that the press ordinarily portrays him. I'd like to have seen more of moments like those.

Although I think Annie Leibowitz misread how she should deal with her subject during the photo shoot, I thought her description of the Queen as "feisty" was apt, and I did love the final portrait (with crown firmly intact!).
Old 03-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Commoner

One error I caught was when Ms. Walters said something about the Queen becoming the "heir apparent" when she was 10. Technically, she was the heir presumptive, since she could have been displaced if her parents had had another child, and the child was male.

I, too, plan on buying the DVD because I would like to see the entire 5 1/2 hour program as it was originally produced. I wonder if the DVD has any "extras"; "Windsor Castle: A Royal Year" had a whole disc of extra footage.

I also wonder if there's any possibility that PBS, BBC America, or even WE might broadcast the entire program at a later date.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Thanks,ellen. I was wondering what her drink was too, but I couldn't understand the man entirely, as I could only make out his explanation about the ice on top. What did he mean when he said, it's just for HM? Only HM has that kind of drink, or she has a specially cyphered glass? I thought all the glasses bear her cypher at the palace parties.
Thanks again for answering the question about the drink. I really did want to know it.
IIRC, it is only HM who has the Dubonnet - her drink is distinctive looking (with the two ice cubes atop the slice of lemon). Plus I think the Dubonnet gives it a rosy color.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenw View Post
...I did like the segment where the cameras caught Prince Charles making small talk with a pregnant woman while they watched local children dancing. He's genuinely good at it, and he did seem warmer and more human that the press ordinarily portrays him. I'd like to have seen more of moments like those...
Wasn't that sweet? Prince Charles even asked when she was due. I believe she said July and he even commented about how hot it would be.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Aristocracy

Talking typical media thinking we're all stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
Five minutes into this program, and there are many mistakes made on Barwa's part. Someone should email her, via the View, and tell her how incredibly sloppy her reporting is/was.

Commentary in the beginning of the program is clearly tailored for an American audience... I'm so embarrassed.
Gee, the folks that would be interested in this show KNOW all these details already--and more accurately than Baba Wawa is reporting.

The tiara was the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland which can be seen in the jewelry threads. I just love how Her Majesty has taken to wearing all white on some occasions, shows off her jewelry and draws attention to her face.
http://cachens.corbis.com/CorbisImag...2-18328791.jpg

http://cachens.corbis.com/CorbisImag...2-18328964.jpg

I can't wait to get the DVD will all 5 hours of footage from the BBC either. No Baba Wawa.

This is also the first time I remember hearing Princess Anne speaking--lower voice than I expected but pleasant. I'm impressed at how busy all the "kids" are--all the different royal patronages. Clearly they aren't slackers if their schedules are examined. When do they have free time? I see Edward is starting to fill in more than he used to; didn't he have to give up his production company and start doing more royal duties?
I would liked to have seen more about Andrew also as well as focusing more on the Queen.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Royal Highness

Ouch! Well...It is countless especially when the networks have so called duty experts. If this show had been edited any further, there would've been no show. This was clearly for the American audience and a ratings grabber.

I enjoyed it and it gave is something to talk about.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Aristocracy

Wink Windsor-A Royal Year similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinacg View Post
I'd never really heard from Prince Philip or Prince Edward before and I was really impressed with the both of them. I think the whole family is a lot more friendlier than they're given credit for.
I remember seeing the Windsor Royal Year last year on PBS and I was impressed by how much Prince Philip knew about running the grounds and how much he supervised to keep things running smoothly. Yes, he has his moments with gaffes but still, he has been the Queen's "rock" and I am sure she would not suffer fools gladly. Both Prince Philip and and the Queen impress me on a regular basis with how agile and up on current events they are. I hope I do half as well at in my 80's.

I loved Edward's specials that used to run on A&E with different stories with royal history and properties.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Royal Highness

I loved it!! I thought she came across as just so sweet. You can tell she is somewhat shy, and she tries to make people feel at ease in presence.

I thought it was hysterical when Charles was talking to the pregnant lady about when she was due!!!!!! It was so cute....

Of course to me the highlight was the visit to the U.S. I thought they pulled it all off magnificently..

I remember the story of the little boy who marched up to her wanting a flower and she gave it to him...so cute.

But, I also wish PBS had taken it over and run the whole series so we could have seen everything too... ;-)
Old 03-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Aristocracy

I enjoyed watching the special but I have to admit I was disappointed because I was expecting to see more of her private life. Everything shown was public. I was expecting to see a little more about a day in the life of Queen Elizabeth and the other royals....behind closed doors.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Gee, the folks that would be interested in this show KNOW all these details already--and more accurately than Baba Wawa is reporting.

Well that's obvious.

However, it clearly demostrates how terrible and incredibly lazy Barwa's research team is. I mean how hard is it to check and double check simple facts? The answer: It isn't. For anyone wanting to be a researcher for informative programs (i.e. 20/20, The History Channel, etc.), this is your que to hand in your CV asap to these people.