The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Aristocracy

It was without commercials about 1 hour and 45 min, give or take a few minutes. I wish it was a full series rather than edited down to such a short amount of time. But I still managed to enjoy.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Commoner

I just finished watching it, it was soo good everything I expected, I just wish it was longer.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Nobility

I agree, it was too short and I really could have done without the commentary. That's why I just pre-ordered the complete version from amazon.ca (the estimated shipping date is April 8th).
Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lallyvee View Post
I would have preferred watching the entire series and not having to see Barbara Walters.
The program doesn't start for another twenty minutes or so here in LA... please don't tell me that I have to listen to Barwa WaWa for the next two hours
Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
I agree, it was too short and I really could have done without the commentary. That's why I just pre-ordered the complete version from amazon.ca (the estimated shipping date is April 8th).
Now that is deffinetly something I'm going to do!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
The program doesn't start for another twenty minutes or so here in LA... please don't tell me that I have to listen to Barwa WaWa for the next two hours
You're going to love her! She still didn't spoil the show. Most of the time I tuned her out but I did catch her comment about Princess Anne. You're going to love that one!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kerry View Post
You're going to love her! She still didn't spoil the show. Most of the time I tuned her out but I did catch her comment about Princess Anne. You're going to love that one!

Great.

Is this program coming out on DVD anytime soon? I see the book is available in Amazon, but I'd rather watch it on DVD instead.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Nobility

I can't believe the didn't catch that remark in editing. I wish it would have been longer too and had less commercials.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Royal Highness

GlitteringTiaras,
Maybe you can post what tiara Her Majesty is wearing at the State Dinner at the White House. Please. I don't know if it will be on DVD or not.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi4 View Post
I can't believe the didn't catch that remark in editing. I wish it would have been longer too and had less commercials.
If it was edited for American audiences, it clearly stood as is. I thought it was very insensitive but maybe it was left so Americans got a clear point of view of where stands in the line of succession. It could've been any plainer than that!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Nobility

No, she didn't mince any words.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Five minutes into this program, and there are many mistakes made on Barwa's part. Someone should email her, via the View, and tell her how incredibly sloppy her reporting is/was.

Commentary in the beginning of the program is clearly tailored for an American audience... I'm so embarrassed.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Is that called the State Crown? It gives new meaning to the word bling!
It's the Imperial State Crown, and it's the genuine article, it isn't bling.

The Monarchy Today > Ceremony and symbol > Symbols > The Crown Jewels

The Monarchy Today > Ceremony and symbol > Symbols > Crown Jewels > Gallery

The one used for the actual Coronation is St Edward's Crown, but that's the only time it's ever worn.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm beginning to realize that this program is very similar to the DVD that I already own entitled, Windsor Castle, which originally aired sometime ago on PBS. Everything about this show so far, including the music, behind the scenes in the kitchen, butlers, state dinner, footmen, chef, the French wine guy, and so forth is exactly the same.

Hmm, I'm not liking it... mainly due to Barwa's commentary... ugh
Old 03-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I'm not sure which one it is. We need some of our royal jewel experts to clue us in.
It's the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara, known in the family as Granny's tiara because it was a wedding present to Queen Mary from the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland. Queen Mary gave it to the Queen as a wedding present, which is why we've never seen the Queen Mother wearing it. Apparently it's fairly light, as tiaras go, so it's one of the Queen's favourites.

We've got some threads about the Queen's tiaras and necklaces over in the Royal Jewels forum.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Gentry

What a wonderful program! Interesting and I loved (as an American) how other Americans swoon over the queen. An individual who holds people in true captivation is a remarkalbe person. I wonder if she bowls?
Old 03-04-2008, 01:29 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder when the "Royal Welsh Guards" became a regiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygen View Post
"For Princess Anne to reign, all five of the males would have to die first."

Uh, thank you, Barbara Walters.
6 now, actually. Charles, William, Harry, Andrew, Edward, James. Plus 3 females. Beatrice, Eugenie, and Louise.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:46 AM
Nobility

I missed the show due to an emergency but got an email from a friend wanting to know about the Queen's drink that was mentioned...Something about 2 cubes of ice and a ratio of 70/30. Information on Her Majesty's potent potable will be much appreciated! Thanx!
Old 03-04-2008, 03:12 AM
Gentry

Is there going to be a DVD?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:05 AM

Yep, Barbara Walters spoke many mistakes in her commentaries, but I was expecting it. It's always the same with American commentaries on the British royal family. So it didn't bother me. I just enjoyed it for what it was. I liked the video coverage and watching the royals in action, and especially enjoyed the commentaries from the royals themselves.

As for people who missed it, there is a possibility that it will be available on iTunes, as the Matt Lauer interview with PW&PH is. So hang tight.