"Atlantic Crossing" TV-Series for the Crown Princess Martha of Norway

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eya

Imperial Majesty
City
-
Country
Greece
The Scandinavian star Sofia Helin will play Norwegian Crown Princess Martha, who fled the Nazis and befriended U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt, encouraging America to enter World War 2.

"Princess Martha fled the Nazis after the German invasion of Norway, escaping to the United States, where she befriended U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt and lived in the White House. Some historians credit Princess Martha with helping push Roosevelt to enter World War 2 and fight the forces of Fascism."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...-helin-ww2-princess-atlantic-crossing-1162404

Promotional photos for Atlantic Crossing - Sofia Helin (Crown Princess Martha) together with series creator and director Alexander Eik

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsNpfrVX4AEpm7C.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsNpgoIWwAAMQh9.jpg

I must say that I'm quite fond of the habit of having Scandinavian actors from the royal's country of birth portray them as we've seen happen a few times in the last few years.

The Scandinavian star Sofia Helin will play Norwegian Crown Princess Martha, who fled the Nazis and befriended U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt, encouraging America to enter World War 2.

"Princess Martha fled the Nazis after the German invasion of Norway, escaping to the United States, where she befriended U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt and lived in the White House. Some historians credit Princess Martha with helping push Roosevelt to enter World War 2 and fight the forces of Fascism."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...-helin-ww2-princess-atlantic-crossing-1162404

I am pretty sure that CP Märtha was a formidable woman, but crediting her with "helping push Roosevelt to enter World War 2" is a little bit of an an exaggeration, is it not ?

Anyway, I hope the series ends up being available to US audiences eventually, as I believe CP Märtha and her connection to FDR are unknown to an overwhelming majority of Americans.

If they've finished filming it all, why is there so much editing and post-production that it won't air until next year?

Trailer!

This has already aired (or premiered) in Norway. Did anyone catch it?

I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was a separate thread for the TV series and posted about it in the Crown Princess Märtha thread. The series will premiere in Norway this Sunday, the English version will premiere on PBS in spring of 2021. ?

This should hopefully be a nice complement to The King's Choice, considering there are scenes that look straight out of Kongens Nei. (Of course, they were stuck with more or less the same outfits.)

And a longer trailer:
(Either this is going to be very good or very bad, but it seems to be leaning towards the former.)

It's interesting how she was just plain "Martha" with-the-usual-pronunciation in English, but I suppose she didn't have much choice.

I wonder if King Harald will have something to watch while he recuperates? :lol:

Last edited:
No clips on YouTube yet, but trailer! With subtitles this time.
Will we get a review from anyone in Norway? Or wait for PBS.

Sounds a lot like The Crown, which is exactly what King Harald said he didn't want. The question is, is Lorentzen's opinion meant to be taken as that of the NRF?

Yesterday, I finally got to watch the first two episodes of Atlantic Crossing on what happened to be the 81st anniversary of the Nazi attack and invasion of Scandinavia.

Apparently the series has been ripped and picked apart for inaccuracies throughout Scandinavia the same way The Crown has here on TRF, so with that in mind and having done my share of it, I'm quite sure that everyone who hates it and complains about it is right. However—

Since I can only watch this on a purely dramatic level (at least until the US part comes in), so far, I'm enjoying it. The cast and scripts and directions and locations and costumes are good. The "jewels" look cheap, sadly, but The Crown also has that problem, so it must just be something modem TV or HD can't do.

I think it's particularly enjoyable to watch having already seen Kongens Nei/The King's Choice. AC smartly takes the decision to avoid just about every scene that was in there, but seeing the movie feels like you get an expanded picture of at least the first two episodes, especially if you are not from "the area". I was thrilled to instantly recognize "the guy in charge of Oscarsborg" (Erik Hivju) as Norway's General Ruge here (probably deliberate).

I liked Olav a lot in KN, but Tobias Santelmann is a scene-stealer in a show that's supposed to be about his wife. ? I don't like the guy playing Haakon as much as I liked Jesper Christensen in the movie, but he's still pretty good, and both tv and movie nailed the quiet-stoic-and-mild-mannered-until-explosive rage thing, so even if that was copying from the movie, it's still pretty impressive.

And Sofia Helin as Märtha. She also does a pretty good job, particularly at portraying sheer terror... which comes in handy in given the plot. I get the feeling the later episodes will show her rising above some of her fragility. :cool: (And I wonder how fragile she honestly was in real life, how much they are just trying to foreshadow her later real ill health, and how much they're just making up.)

So we'll see if there comes a point in later episodes where I throw my hands up in Scandinavian disgust. Mostly, I'm just glad I've finally gotten to see it at all.

Last edited:
I saw Part I of the Show and I love it. I was then looking for a book about Martha to read. ANy recommendations.

I saw Part I of the Show and I love it. I was then looking for a book about Martha to read. ANy recommendations.

I don't think there is anything about her in English, sadly, like there isn't about most non-British royals. Everything I know about her and her even more iconic/tragic sister, I know from the Internet; partly from here. She has a statue in DC, though.

All of that being said, I know things like Majesty magazine have had articles on her (written by people like Isaksen), so there are always back issues. But it's not the length of a book.

I’ve watched about half of this and am really enjoying it. Surprisingly, my husband adores it. I keep telling him, see that cute little boy, Harald? He’s the King of Norway! And I think the actress playing Princess Martha looks a lot like Princess Martha Louise...

Thanks to all who sent info about possible book. Maybe someday there will be a book.

I just watched episode 2 tonight...chills at the last scene with CPss Martha and Harald. Won't give away the spoilers.

I enjoyed watching the first two episodes today. I particularly enjoyed the Norwegian dialogue and setting....far more interesting than the U.S. scenes. In fact, now that the story moves to the U.S., I will probably not continue to watch. I have never cared for FDR's personality.

As a PBS Passport member I have now completed watching all 8 episodes of "Atlantic Crossing". Unlike many of you with a stronger understanding of Norway's history I wasn't able to critique the series for accuracy. Given this is a Norwegian production I am hoping there were not any gross embellishments as can be seen in other historical programming like the "Crown". I was thoroughly captivated with the acting, scenery and historical insight into Norway's struggles during WWII. It has brought to life King Harold and his sisters' early experiences during the war years. I'm looking forward to watching "The King's Choice" now since being mentioned on this thread.

Well, I was already in the mood, so I finished watching the last half-hour and cried the whole time. Fair warning, despite the fact the opening song seems to have a happier remix for the last episode.

I'll go into a few more details later, but overall my impression didn't change. As a drama, it's pretty good. As a drama that covers something I'm partly familiar with, it's even more enjoyable. I'm a simple royalwatcher person — I see Olav in any stage of life in anything, I'm happy. ;)

I'm looking forward to the next part tomorrow.

I liked the first two episodes, looking forward to more

This: Tiara Timeline: The Norwegian Emerald Parure Tiara | The Court Jeweller
:previous: is what Princess Ingeborg gave to Märtha (with the necklace, earrings, and the rest) before she left for the US, and at the train station, apparently. I was hoping they would make a bigger deal out of it. As far as tiara/wearer match went, I think it was one of the great ones (see 1937, stop scrolling if you don't want spoilers, though).

Last edited:
Here is Märtha and her statue in Washington DC. (And Ragnhild and Astrid in the background.)

And Harald.

And his English. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom