"Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work" (2007) - BBC Documentary on the Windsors

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A Year With The Queen aired tonight on Australian Television. I watched it and was pleasantly surprised to note that in Her Majesty's private drawing room, a framed portrait of Her Majesty Queen Margrethe II stands pride of place on a side table next to the Queen's chair. A personal gift I'm sure. Quite possibly from Queen Margrethe's state visit in 2000.

The fact it's in the Queen's private drawing room says to me that the relationship between Queen's is most friendly, if not close. Quite lovely...:flowers:

Last edited:
And do you know, that photograph has been on that table next in every documentary/piece of footage for at least the last 5 years and before that, I remember seeing one of Margrethe on a table near the Queen's desk. I was really thrilled when I saw it. They must indeed be very close.

I was particularly thrilled also, Sam.

I do enjoy piecing together what the relationships between such prominent royals, let alone monarchs, must be like. And I'm sure we're well on the money here...;)

Now on German TV

Now on German TV the docu: ´Ein Jahr mit der Queen´.
Four parts on Feb. 12 / Feb. 19 / Feb. 26 and March 4 ( ZDF).

I´m looking forward to watch it!:flowers:

It is a very interesting series and am enjoying it. Cate Blanchett does a good job as narrator. ( I think she only narrates the Australian version?). I hope they will show another state visit on it. Tonights episode showed Sophie. The way she was communicating with the old people in the nursing home was nice to see, she held their hands sincerely.

Last edited by a moderator:
The full version of the documentary is finally airing in the US, on PBS stations. Anyone else watching it? I enjoyed the first two hours very much, but the editing seemed a little funny in parts - the before-and-during of the American visit seemed a little out of order at times.

The next two hours will air on Wednesday in most markets, and the conclusion on the following Wednesday.

I watched it, bits and pieces, since I had already had the misfortune to see the Barbara Walters special. I still have to laugh at photographer Annie, who wanted to bring a horse into the State Apartments at BP. I don't blame the Queen for feeling a little cranky, she annoyed me too!

But it is very interesting to watch all the behind the scenes preparation for entertaining by and for royals.

I Love its amazing the work the staff and everyone do.

Working Monarchy

I may have the name wrong, but over the last two sundays, PBS has beening showing a documentary that talks about the monarch at work. it shows planning of the trip to the US a couple of years ago and last nite it showed the state dinner, for the president of Ghana, at BP and the HM's trip to Estonia. it's very interesting to get a behind the scenes look at this kind of thing. the logistics are mind boggling! has anyone else seen it?

Yes, I have. It was broadcast here around last Christmas. I thought it was a very well done show

I was rather amused at some of the footage of Prince Philip. For example, during the walkabout in Virginia the First Lady of Virginia was instructed to walk along with Prince Philip, who would proceed at his own pace and do his own thing, no further instructions were given to her.

Then, he was the one in charge of collecting the President and First Lady of Ghana for the banquet, and he had the misfortune of realizing that the First Lady needed to use an elevator and the elevator was broken. Then he had the idea of bringing her along in the freight elevator. Meanwhile, the Queen was left wondering where everyone had gone.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one stuck to the TV watching this program. There's just something about the monarchy that draws me in. I keep telling my husband I should have been a history major in college.

I may have the name wrong, but over the last two sundays, PBS has beening showing a documentary that talks about the monarch at work. it shows planning of the trip to the US a couple of years ago and last nite it showed the state dinner, for the president of Ghana, at BP and the HM's trip to Estonia. it's very interesting to get a behind the scenes look at this kind of thing. the logistics are mind boggling! has anyone else seen it?

Our local PBS station has been airing this program during the past two days, and I am completely hooked. It is wonderful, and it does an amazing job of covering the Queen. She seems so warm and caring in this documentary. I also have enjoyed the footage of Charles and Camilla visiting the organic farm. Charles is also very likeable in this documentary.

. . . . Charles is also very likeable in this documentary.
You sound surprised. It isn't often that we get a chance to see the BRF as ordinary human beings and, not surprisingly, Charles is as ascebically witty as his father but without the terminal foot-in-mouth problem. :lol:

It's hard for the world to laugh, (funny peculiar) about Charles when he insists on his own self-deprecating wit. What's not to like! :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom