The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
Will it be airing in the U.S? Thank you. :-)
This link from last April
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/apr/17/broadcasting.bbc
says the rights to it were acquired by the ABC network here in the US. But I haven't heard anything since.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Courtier

If ABC acquired it and it just aired, then it will probably be happening soon in the US...I certainly think it will be an interesting thing to watch...

Old 11-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
If ABC acquired it and it just aired, then it will probably be happening soon in the US...I certainly think it will be an interesting thing to watch...
I agree, it would be very exciting and Americans have quite an interest in the royal family.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Courtier

does anyone know where i can find videos of the episode? im really looking forwad to the next episode but i wont be able to watch it. I wonder if anyone can record it and put it on the internet
Old 11-29-2007, 12:09 PM

I thought the whole Annie thing was blown out of all proportion. In the documentary, HM came across as a right old moo - practically ignored Leibovitz's crew, brushed aside her daughter and the flowers she offered and then proceeded to put on this old lady smile in the photographs after we'd just seen her in full crabby glory. Truly surreal. A BBC chap resigned over that?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I thought the whole Annie thing was blown out of all proportion. In the documentary, HM came across as a right old moo - practically ignored Leibovitz's crew, brushed aside her daughter and the flowers she offered and then proceeded to put on this old lady smile in the photographs after we'd just seen her in full crabby glory. Truly surreal. A BBC chap resigned over that?
The Annie thing was not only blown out of porportion but also had for me clearly the intention to mislead and make the series more interesting (what a failure!). I am sure some BBC chap has resigned in the meantime but why would he worry - he probably got the usual pay off

Regarding Annie herself I saw it the other way around - I thought she was not only badly prepared (knew nothing about tradition and all this stiff stuff that surrounds HM - how embarrassing to ask her to remove the tiara), turned up in trainers, her small daughter and 22 assistants and made some odd suggestions. I thought she was very snobbish and arrogant and I had perfectly understood if HM had stormed out indeed as Annie would have deserved exactly this szenario. Hollywood stars might line up and do even more to be photographed by Annie but HM is a different league, something Annie did not appreciate at all. The result are some nice pics though.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:34 PM

The point I was making was that the row was that the Beeb had painted the Queen in a negative light by altering the running order of the footage. Well, the real running order still made the Queen look like a miserable old boot without any interference from Aunty. So what was the fuss about? I think we've all been had in a clever attempt to cover up a darker side of Betty.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Courtier

It's possible the Queen has become just a grumpy old lady...she can't always be sweet. If she came off negatively...it's probably reality. LOL
Old 11-29-2007, 12:57 PM

Exactly. But it just annoys me that Annie L came off as the villain of the piece. I mean, all that "I've had enough of dressing like this" was just ridiculous - it's your job Liz!!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Well, the real running order still made the Queen look like a miserable old boot without any interference from Aunty.
Hmmm ... I did not see her at all as a miserable old boot, I thought she came across as usual and I did not expect something else since she always remains authentic. I actually appreciate that she sticks with all this stiff stuff that came along with her long reign, handbags, gloves, protocol etc. I thought the series presented her as a clever old woman who believes in who she is and what she stands for. She does have wit and humour but does not make a fool of herself. I think the series shows perfectly well why QE II enjoys worldwide respect since there is always substance to what she does.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
But it just annoys me that Annie L came off as the villain of the piece. I mean, all that "I've had enough of dressing like this" was just ridiculous - it's your job Liz!!
She deserved it. I mean 22 assistants and nobody told her the difference between a tiara an a crown and that her daughter could have curtsied. She came across respectless and like a know-it-all. All these VIPs Annie has worked with will do anything she suggests because they want the shoot that makes them even more famous but that does not work with a monarch since the attitude is totally different. She could have been better prepared and would have avoided this embarrassment. I wish the Queen had stormed out but as we could see she never loses it
Old 11-29-2007, 01:16 PM

The tiara/crown thing is just silly - the Queen knew what she meant and if she can't be bothered to take it off and re-style her hair for pictures that are meant to show her as a dedicated Head of State then she needs to remember that some of us have real work to do whilst 'dressing up' is the most taxing part of her day.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
The tiara/crown thing is just silly - the Queen knew what she meant and if she can't be bothered to take it off and re-style her hair for pictures that are meant to show her as a dedicated Head of State then she needs to remember that some of us have real work to do whilst 'dressing up' is the most taxing part of her day.
I'd call it bad preparation and unprofessional if such a high profile photographer thinks a "crown" can just be removed like that, because it might look better, and if not, will you just put it back on? There are hairdressers and stylists involved and it will take time to fix it. I fully understand the Queen's annoyance since I could not believe to be asked a question like that if I was a monarch for 50 years or more (thank god I am not )
Old 11-29-2007, 01:34 PM

You miss my point. If the biggest trial of the Queen's day is putting a bit of jewellery on and off, doesn't that say more about the Queen than Annie?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
You miss my point. If the biggest trial of the Queen's day is putting a bit of jewellery on and off, doesn't that say more about the Queen than Annie?
Give her a break she's in her 80s and I don't think it's putting a bit jewellery on and off and back on and maybe off again. It's not that easy. Come on she's the Queen and not used to such treatment and for a reason. This whole tiara thing was not appropriate, that's all I am saying.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4 View Post
This link from last April
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/apr/17/broadcasting.bbc
says the rights to it were acquired by the ABC network here in the US. But I haven't heard anything since.

Thank you!
Old 11-29-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Give her a break she's in her 80s and I don't think it's putting a bit jewellery on and off and back on and maybe off again. It's not that easy. Come on she's the Queen and not used to such treatment and for a reason. This whole tiara thing was not appropriate, that's all I am saying.
Well if she's finding it a strain, then she should abdicate. If she can't hack it because of her age, then she shouldn't do it anymore. Danny La Rue does more dressing up than the Queen and he's the same age as her. As to not being used to it, she's perfectly used to it. She's done it for years. The fact remains that the photographs show one side of the Queen, the photoshoot footage shows a completely different side.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:44 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
If she can't hack it because of her age, then she shouldn't do it anymore.
BeatrixFan, you're such a stirrer. Enfant terrible.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Courtier

Whether HM can 'hack' her job any longer isn't really moot. She's the Queen until she dies and that's that! I think her terrific in her efforts to keep on keeping on. She'll never abdicate (doesn't believe in it, quite properly) and there's no sign that she has any diminution of her intellect so won't be replaced by her son as Regent.

I can readily overlook her occasional grumpiness or impatience, if that indeed is what it was. And which of us knows how grumpy Danny la Rue is when he's out of the public purview? I'd suggest that he does what he does from choice; HM does what she does from a sense of duty.

As for Annie's daughter not curtsying.....why should she have? I wouldn't curtsy to the King and Queen of Spain, or Denmark, or wherever. It would be inappropriate.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:49 AM

Well, the Queen was in public view wasn't she? She knew there was a camera there for a documentary and she chose to throw a queeny strop. Danny La Rue does what he does for the money, the Queen should remember she has to do the same.