The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Commoner

Well, like Nichola said before, all the BBC wanted was publicity, and they sure got that!
I'd love to see those pictures, too, Duke of M., and if a link could be posted in here I'd be most grateful!
Patrick.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Very true. If the BBC had acted more carefully all this fuss would have not happened. Leibovitz is a star photographer, she does maily AAA VIPS of all kinds. I recall there are four pics from this session and they have been posted somewhere on the forum. Does anyone know where?
Have a look at this thread.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Aristocracy

I think its disgraceful what the bbc has done. but the fact is that now more ppl know about the show than would have otherwise because this incident has made news around the world.
I think that leibovitz was very ill-informed about who she was dealing with and not only that but was inconsiderate. here you have an 81 yr old woman going thru the trouble of getting all dressed up, putting the dress, the heavy robes, having the tiara carefully placed by the hair dresser for you to then tell her to take the tiara off, which would have meant that she had to get her hair fixed. Furthermore as has been said the robes and the tiara go together! and lastly Leibovitz should have known that the queen wasnt in the best of moods if as reported, and affirmed by leibovitz herself, she was complaining about having to get dressed up in the middle of the day!
In any event, although none of us can claim to truly know the queen, its just extremely unlike the queen to throw a tantrum she would never do that much less when the camera's are running. I have the feeling that the queen has quite the temper very distinctly from the image that is portrayed of her but she is a professional and because she is the queen she doesnt have to throw temper tantrums anyway, just a subtle comment is enough to shake anyone up.
anyway i found the video on you tube so here is the link if you havent seen it.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Nobility

Elise27 has made a very valid point - the Queen is 81. It must take up a lot of energy to dress in these heavy robes, and have the tiara placed in your hair. This was probably also one of many engagements she had that day. It is quite likely that any one of us would be a bit 'nippy' if, having dressed appropriately, we were asked to start changing around again.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Being admitted into the presence of The Queen of England (other realms and territories etc and so on) isn't an occasion where one should attempt to be fussy imo. The whole process was probably an absolute bore as it is and what's worse is that Her Majesty has stated that unless necessary, she prefers a much less formal attire.

I hope to god she didn't finish off the session with...'Aaaand, we're spent'!
Old 07-14-2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Someone once told me that "Perception is everything", and Nobody is going to convince me that the way this trailer was edited was a "mistake".
... No doubt it will be deemed to be the misguided spin of some barely grown wunderkid from PR. As they say in NZ.....yeah, right!
The public broadcasters in Australia have a truly nasty anti-royal (as opposed to considered republican) culture. I have several PR friends from Australia now working for the BBC. All three used to work in the Australian public broadcasters (SBS and ABC) and are in senior positions. I suspect the rot has come from Australia. Shame on the BBC.

Luce
Old 07-14-2007, 05:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyBaker View Post
The public broadcasters in Australia have a truly nasty anti-royal (as opposed to considered republican) culture. I have several PR friends from Australia now working for the BBC. All three used to work in the Australian public broadcasters (SBS and ABC) and are in senior positions. I suspect the rot has come from Australia. Shame on the BBC.

Luce
Fair crack of the whip, Lucy Baker... (j/k of course)

Channel 9 is not what I would call exceptionally anti establishment considering it is the only mainstream TV broadcaster (besides the ABC which tended to focus more on Diana conspiracy theories) which pays for the rights to air royal related programs.

The Royal Wedding in 2005, The Queen's Castle, Monarchy *still yet to air* and The Diana Tribute at Wembley just to name a few. I remember there even being biographical tributes to the late HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon and HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother at the times of their passing.

And I wouldn't be much surprised that A Year With The Queen shall also be picked up by nine at some stage.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Administrator

This may change now that majority control of the Nine Network has been sold off by the Packer family to the merchant bankers.
On a positive note, "The Queen's Castle" was a big ratings winner for Nine, so the new owners may be encouraged to continue showing quality royal productions.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Aristocracy

Talking lack of planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I think HM was annoyed because firstly (I found) Leibovitz's remark was a bit offensive, because if you get the honor to work with the Queen you should name the things correctly, here: tiara, and secondly I think it takes a lot of time until the Queen is dressed in the full robe etc and it's not that simple to just remove the tiara because then the hairdresser has to come and fix the hair and so on. It's a time consuming and exhausting procedure, who wouldn't be annoyed by such a remark? Leibovitz did not get that it's not about what looks better but about HM wearing that specific robe and everything that goes with it. HM is not a model or wants to look as good as possible as all the other vain people Leibovitz mainly works with, such as actors. She's a monarch after all and it's about her position in history, not about looks.

I like the result though, the pics are great.
As a photographer, topics of dress/makeup/settings are all covered in the planning stages BEFORE booking the sitting. The subject in this case has a very busy schedule and Leibovitz was honored in my opinion in even being considered as a candidate to photograph HM. I love most of her work but still when dealing with a busy subject who would have her own ideas of what is a proper session details would have been ironed out in advance. I did notice that Leibovitz tried to reference some of Beaton's portraits (I highly recommend his book for royalphiles--great photos, some never before published or released) so I think she was planning for the look for the portrait with just the navy cape. However in full Order of the Garter robes that would call for a formal portrait with appropriate headgear--the tiara or the cap. Anything less wouldn't be complete. I adored the comment "Less dressy? What do you think this IS?"--exactly! Full robes, full honors, full ensemble. You may as well have asked HM to expose her unmentionables, it would be just as inappropriate.
As for the BBC editing, if the Queen had stormed out how did they manage to finish all four settings? I know they were not all set up at the same time, shouldn't try to paint such a bad portrait of someone who has taken her role seriously and I'm sure feels she has other things she'd rather do but duty first. If you search online you can see all four final portraits which are fabulous. I would give a body part for the opportunity to photograph HM, she appears based on past photos to be very cooperative as long as her time is not being wasted or being portrayed in a non-flattering way--same as anyone would expect.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

[quote=Picmajik;646175]
Quote:
I adored the comment "Less dressy? What do you think this IS?"--exactly! Full robes, full honors, full ensemble. You may as well have asked HM to expose her unmentionables, it would be just as inappropriate.
THAT would be the scandal of the century

I wonder what will be left of the programme, guess it will be reviewed 100.000 times in order to prevent another blunder towards HM.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picmajik View Post
I did notice that Leibovitz tried to reference some of Beaton's portraits (I highly recommend his book for royalphiles--great photos, some never before published or released) so I think she was planning for the look for the portrait with just the navy cape.
Yes, I agree. That picture of the Queen with just the Garter cape as a young woman is quite striking. I wondered if that was the look that Leibowitz was going for.

Leibowitz is a very experienced photographer with famous figures and she is generally well liked by her sitters which is why she keeps getting commissions to do their portraits.

So I don't think she was making a careless error because of lack of preparation but I think she was going for a look that she had seen before and wanted to re-invent. I do think the press made rather more of the incident than either the Queen or Leibowitz felt at the time.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

I must say I don't think that tiara was a good choice to go with the Garter robes; either the Kokoshnik tiara or Grand Duchess Vladimir's tiara with the pearls would have looked better because they have more weight and less detail and are less pretty and airy-looking. Probably the George IV circlet would have been the best choice for the overall look, but no doubt that would have been a terrible breach of some sort of protocol that none of us know about.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Probably the George IV circlet would have been the best choice for the overall look, but no doubt that would have been a terrible breach of some sort of protocol that none of us know about.
I wouldn't have thought so, Elspeth, considering the photos I've recently viewed, where the Queen is wearing the circlet during a state visit by Charles de Gaulle and again in the Rolls on the way to some other event.

I wonder why the Queen has chosen to only wear it for the State Opening of Parliament ever since when clearly it can be worn 'at will' (so to speak)...

I too believe it would have been a better choice.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Yes, I agree. That picture of the Queen with just the Garter cape as a young woman is quite striking. I wondered if that was the look that Leibowitz was going for.
I know the picture you mean, and it is very striking. However, it isn't the Garter cape.

It was taken in 1968, the last sitting the Queen gave to Beaton. From Cecil Beaton, The Royal Portraits published in 1988 with text by Roy Strong: "Beaton's last photographs of the Queen, taken in 1968, are among his most memorable royal images. He was determined not to repeat his earlier pictures: 'Must rely on a plain white or blue background --- and determine to be stark and clear and bold'. The portraits of the Queen dressed in an admiral's boat cloak were a complete break with the past and received enormous coverage".

Strong then further quotes from Beaton's diaries or letters [Beaton's words]:
'There have been so many pictures of the Queen in tiara, orders and crinoline that I felt I must try something different. I asked Martin [Charteris, the Queen's Private Secretary] if a deer stalker cloak would be suitable. No he didn't think so but what about an admiral's cloak? navy blue serge. That sounded great and when I saw the cape in his office, felt this would be an enormous asset --- we have seen too many two piece suits with brooch and wristwatch --- this would be a great solution. Do you think it would be possible? I can only ask, Martin answered. You know the way it is --- I do. Martin phoned to say that the Queen had agreed to wear the cloak --- was rather giggly about the whole thing --- and said it didn't matter what she wore underneath it ...'
Old 07-29-2007, 05:22 AM
Heir Apparent

We are not amused, no we are not!

ninemsn

The Queen wants to ban a controversial BBC documentary which wrongly shows her storming out of a photo shoot, reports claim.

Queen wants BBC documentary scrapped

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Aristocracy

Smile Cecil Beaton, The Royal Portraits--wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4 View Post
It was taken in 1968, the last sitting the Queen gave to Beaton. From Cecil Beaton, The Royal Portraits published in 1988 with text by Roy Strong: "Beaton's last photographs of the Queen, taken in 1968, are among his most memorable royal images. He was determined not to repeat his earlier pictures: 'Must rely on a plain white or blue background --- and determine to be stark and clear and bold'. The portraits of the Queen dressed in an admiral's boat cloak were a complete break with the past and received enormous coverage".

Strong then further quotes from Beaton's diaries or letters [Beaton's words]:
'There have been so many pictures of the Queen in tiara, orders and crinoline that I felt I must try something different. I asked Martin [Charteris, the Queen's Private Secretary] if a deer stalker cloak would be suitable. No he didn't think so but what about an admiral's cloak? navy blue serge. That sounded great and when I saw the cape in his office, felt this would be an enormous asset --- we have seen too many two piece suits with brooch and wristwatch --- this would be a great solution. Do you think it would be possible? I can only ask, Martin answered. You know the way it is --- I do. Martin phoned to say that the Queen had agreed to wear the cloak --- was rather giggly about the whole thing --- and said it didn't matter what she wore underneath it ...'
If you look at all the photos taken these sessions, there was one with just the navy cape (not the Garter robes) with an outdoor background superimposed. Different angle than the Beaton photo but still starker than the usual frou-frou background that Beaton usually used. If someone hasn't seen The Royal Portraits I managed to find two copies last year for less than $10 on Amazon.com (US) but I'm sure other copies are available. I happened to find it at the library first, HAD to have it and found copies online. I also loved the anecdotes about the subjects--how Beaton felt obligated to retouch the Duke of Windsor's photos but the Queen Mother said leave hers as is later in life. HM doesn't appear to have been excessively retouched/Photoshopped either in her portraits. I hope I look as great as she does at 80!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | BBC One boss quits over Queen row

Quote:
BBC One controller Peter Fincham has resigned after an investigation into footage that misrepresented the Queen.

A documentary trailer was edited out of sequence, and Mr Fincham wrongly told the press it showed the monarch walking out of a photo session "in a huff".

A report into the incident has blamed "misjudgements, poor practice and ineffective systems".
The programme was made by production company RDF Media, whose chief creative officer Stephen Lambert has also quit.
Well this seems drastic for two men to resign but I'm glad that some people take the dignity of the Queen seriously. Perhaps journalistic integrity is not just a buzzword.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

And here is an article by the Guardian - its usually republican but offers some good insights into what was going on at the BBC after the clip was aired:

Confusions that led to downfall of controller | Special reports | MediaGuardian.co.uk

Quote:

It was Mr Fincham who, in bullish mood following a run of ratings hits such as Strictly Come Dancing and critically acclaimed dramas such as Life on Mars, flagged up at a press launch in July that the Queen was featured "walking out in a huff" following a bust-up with photographer Annie Leibovitz. It was the first time he had seen the clip and he talked it up, mindful of the need to generate publicity for the autumn season. In fact, as the report makes clear, the full rushes show the Queen walking into, rather than out of, the photo session, saying "I've had enough dressing like this"; and after the clip, in which she looked stern-faced, she chuckled and carried on with the shoot. By 6pm, the director of the series and the executive producer had both "realised what a terrible mistake had been made" in sending Mr Lambert's show reel to the BBC, although there was still confusion over whose fault it was. By 7pm Mr Fincham and Ms Fletcher knew that the order of the clips was wrong and that the Sun was due to splash on the story of the Queen walking out.

Even as the tabloid and other newspapers cleared their front pages Mr Fincham, Ms Fletcher, Mr Lambert and the palace press office could not agree a statement until 9.44pm clarifying the situation. And having agreed its wording, incredibly they decided it should be held over until the morning when both sides could "check the temperature of the story".
Mr Wyatt rules that it was "naive" of the BBC team to think the story would blow over. Meanwhile, the press office did not intervene. And Jana Bennett (pictured), the director of BBC Vision and Mr Fincham's boss, failed to read the statement that had been emailed to her by Mr Fincham.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't remember where I saw it now, but someone was saying that this sort of thing is standard practice for younger journalists nowadays - in the brave new world of YouTube and Photoshop, reality is pretty much what you make it, and you do whatever it takes to get ratings. The producers of previous documentaries about the Queen were appalled by the cavalier way this clip was manipulated to put sensationalism over accuracy.

I'm glad to see that people have had to resign over it. Not just because it deals with the Queen, but because if it becomes standard practice to spice up news by knowingly introducing outright falsehoods, news won't have any meaning any more.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Well it appears that their first mistake was to treat it as a public relations issue rather than a matter of journalistic integrity.

Knowing that they showed misleading footage, they still decided to wait till the next morning to do anything because they wanted to see if the story might blow over.

-- Deepak Chopra