"A Royal Family/En Kongelig Familie" (2004) - TV Series and Book on Christian IX

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
"A Royal Family/En Kongelig Familie" (2004) - TV Series and Book on Christian IX

I just finished reading the book "A Royal Family" or in Danish "En Kongelig Familie". It is the book that is based on the television series by the same name, made by DR1, and last shown this Christmas on one of the Discovery channels.

It is really a book I recommend that you read, if you can get your hands on it. You get a pretty good overview in today's Europe over the relationship between the royals, and you also get to know quite a bit about the inside of the historical royals.

It is quite interesting that several of the royals participated in making the television series, and they are also quoted several times in the book. The Danish family are those most often quoted, I think, but Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg, the Norwegian Royals, Michael of Kent, and several others are also in it.

There were a few factual errors in the book, but not overly many compared to other royal books.

Anyone else read it?

Yes i have also read it and i think that it is very interesting reading.
I got the book in christmas present from my boyfriend :) :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it available in English anywhere? Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk don't seem to have heard of it.

Thank you for the recommendation - I enjoyed the TV series, good to know the book is as good. :)

Thanks, Katie. I've seen it advertised in Majesty; I guess I'm just used to looking for books on Amazon. I should dig out a recent copy of Majesty and see about ordering a copy.

The DVD is on general release here in Australia.

Really,Warren?I've found lots but i did not see the DVD in Australia.

The DVD

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Really,Warren? I've found lots but i did not see the DVD in Australia.

I bought it at Borders at Bondi Junction.
It is distributed by Roadshow Entertainment, copyright SBS.
Catalog number 1069-9.

Try a video store to see if you can order it, or SBS at www.sbs.com.au/sbsshop

W

I bought it on-line from Dymocks for about $40. Unfortunately it didn't come with any extras, although I thought it was meant to... still it's nice to have a copy.

The DVD #2

KatieLouise said:
. Unfortunately it didn't come with any extras, although I thought it was meant to.

There are no extras, which is disappointing. They could at least have had an insert with a family tree showing all the people they covered in the program.

I think that perhaps the book is the "extra".

W

Unfortunately, I have the Danish version of the book from my library and since I don't understand a word of the language, I am stuck looking at the pics. (which by the way are wonderful) I am a big fan of Queen Alix and her Danish Family, therefore the book was a big delight.

http://www.imageshack.us/

Last edited:
The documentary has been bought by PBS in the US and will be on tv sometime. Not sure when.

KatieLouise said:
Hi Elspeth, I think you can buy the book and the 2-set DVD from Majesty Magazine on their website: http://www.majestymagazine.com

I bought the DVD.....sadly tho I can't watch it b/c it is not formatted/doesn't work on US DVD Players (wrong region or something like that). I contacted Majesty about it back in Nov....but I still haven't heard from them yet. I'm going to buy the book soon...when I have a little more money.

Lady Jennifer said:
I bought the DVD.....sadly tho I can't watch it b/c it is not formatted/doesn't work on US DVD Players (wrong region or something like that). I contacted Majesty about it back in Nov....but I still haven't heard from them yet. I'm going to buy the book soon...when I have a little more money.
My friend had the same problem with some of her foreign dvds. She somehow managed to hack into her player's system and change and de-regionalize it. The dvd software on my computer allows for upto 4 switches between regions before it's permenant.

EmpressRouge said:
My friend had the same problem with some of her foreign dvds. She somehow managed to hack into her player's system and change and de-regionalize it. The dvd software on my computer allows for upto 4 switches between regions before it's permenant.

I'm not that computer savy to hack into the system. I do know some people that might......hmmm....thats an idea!!! :D
My computer won't allow switchs....that I have seen so far.
Thanks for the idea Empress!

It´s actually fairly easy to do. You just have to be confident. What type of DVD player do you have? You can also buy DVD players that allow multi-regional DVDs too.

Re:

I've been watching this series on the History Channel (every Tuesday at 9am Brit-time). Today focussed on the Greek Royal Family. It was amazing to see Queen Anne-Marie and King Constantine being so frank.
I've loved every episode so far and every royal they interview adds so much to the series.
I really recommend this!!

Hi Lady Jennifer,

I had the same problem. I emailed Majesty and they actually called my house (I was shocked!) to tell me what I needed to do to return it. This was this past June. They sent me a a return package to send back the DVDs and then refunded my credit card. They were very gracious about the whole matter.

Dennism,

Any updates on when it will be shown in the US on PBS.

To all the rest of you.....LUCKY!! :)

Some of us are dying to either read the English version...if available in book form...or to be able to see it on tv...

O, sorry. I just saw your post. I haven't heard anything but I'll keep my ears and eyes open for any information.

Re:

A reminder that "A Royal Family" is showing tonight here in the UK on the History Channel at Midnight and again tomorrow at 9.30am.

I'm not sure if the US version of the History Channel shows the same programmes but I think it does.

BeatrixFan said:
A reminder that "A Royal Family" is showing tonight here in the UK on the History Channel at Midnight and again tomorrow at 9.30am.

I'm not sure if the US version of the History Channel shows the same programmes but I think it does.

No...I just checked the History Channel website for here in America....ahhh!!! I am sooo envious you guys get to watch it!!!! :) :mad: :confused:

Lady Marmalade said:
No...I just checked the History Channel website for here in America....ahhh!!! I am sooo envious you guys get to watch it!!!! :) :mad: :confused:

I doubt they would show it anyway. It doesn´t involve military strategy during WW2 after all. ;)

Dennism said:
I doubt they would show it anyway. It doesn´t involve military strategy during WW2 after all. ;)

My friends & I in college called the Hist. Channel the WW2 Channel or the Hitler Channel :p :D. Don't get me wrong I love the Hist. Channel & the things on it but how much of WW2 can we watch (the same show under a different name)?! I'm sure when they show it (if its on the Hist. Channel) it'll be on at a random hour.

Well said. It is very true. I think you are more likely to see it on History International. I don´t know how many of you get HISI but that would be more possible than the WW2 one.

Darn....maybe they will show it on the Biography channel or A&E then... :)

Lady Jennifer said:
My friends & I in college called the Hist. Channel the WW2 Channel or the Hitler Channel :p :D. .

Oh I undestand you perfectly. We have, in Portugal, the History Channel and they are always talking about Hitler... the Holocaust... the Jew-baiting, the WW2, etc. It's really repetitive! Hitler is, imo, an interesting person to be studied. He was so maniacal, so obcessed, so hateful, but at same time he was the most charismatical leader of the past century. By other side always watching things about all this is toooo much!

I seem to remember reading a news article a couple of months ago saying that this program would be on PBS in the US later this year. I hope it will be on either PBS or the History Channel, cos I'd love to see it.

Does anyone have any idea as to where I can buy the 2 set DVD of A Royal Family compatible with Region 1 DVD players (US)??

I just read that Majesty Magazine sells them, but they are compatible for European players (Region 2).

Back
Top Bottom