The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Aristocracy

Unfortunately, I received my DVD today and I was unable to play it on the two dvd players I have.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Aristocracy

I bought the DVD several years ago from a Danish bookstore. The DVD is in PAL -three versions of the series were on the DVDS -- Danish, English and Norwegian.

A PAL DVD will not play on American or Canadian DVD players. North American uses the NTSC system. Most of the rest of the world uses PAL (France uses SECAM). The world is divided into different regions. US and Canada are Region 1. If you live in the US or Canada, your DVD player will be set for region one only. and NTSC. SO if you purchase a DVD from abroad, you will not be able to play it on your North American players. The systems are NOT compatible. However, you can purchase code free all region DVD players or recorders with built in PAL or NTSC converters. They are not expensive. I recently upgraded to a dvd recorder (but have yet to record anything) that is all region/code free with a built PAL converter. (I used to have a similar DVD player.) They are not expensive. I got both on ebay. You cannot get them in stores, such as Walmart, Target, Best Buy ... do not tamper with the ones you have ... you might be able to set it to O rather than 1 ... but you still will not be able to play a foreign dvd because American DVD players play on NTSC.

Tampering will also wreck your warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalEnquirer View Post
I ordered the DVD from the ABC Shop. Does anyone know if it will be in English? It doesn't really matter if it is or isn't. I'm looking forward to seeing the vintage royal clips.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Aristocracy

If you live in North America, and you got the DVD from Australia - you are not going to be able to view it -- Australia is region 4 and PAL. North America is Region 1 and NTSC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalEnquirer View Post
Unfortunately, I received my DVD today and I was unable to play it on the two dvd players I have.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleneKoenig View Post
If you live in North America, and you got the DVD from Australia - you are not going to be able to view it -- Australia is region 4 and PAL. North America is Region 1 and NTSC.
Unless of course one has a MAC laptop. That's how I am able to view most of my non-Region 1 DVD's.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 PM

Smile

I was extremely lucky. Anna von Lowzow (i.e Anna Lerche) the producer of A Royal Family gave a presentation/lecture at the Royalty Weekend in Ticehurst in April and was willing to send the DVD's to anyone who expressed an interest. Obviously we paid for the DVD's.

The DVD's arrived about a week later.

Allan Raymond

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol View Post
Any ideas where I can get the Book or DVD for showing in the UK DVD region? I've tried lots of places but without any luck Thanks!
Old 07-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

"A Royal Family" is an amazing book and movie! (:

Old 08-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Courtier

I have just put in a order for the serie at dvddoo.com i hope i get it soon :-)

Old 12-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Nobility

If anyone is interested in watching this series, I found it on a Russian TV network called Planet Live by Googling the title. I don't know anything about the site, but it seems legit and I had no problems streaming all six parts. (In English.)

Here's the link: http://www.planeta-online.tv/media/video/show/219.html
Old 12-31-2012, 05:02 AM
Aristocracy

Hello and Happy New Year,

I have just found the series on DVD at ABC Shop abc.net.au (Australia)

https://shop.abc.net.au/products/a-royal-family

It is discounted at the moment. The website gives details of regions and prices etc.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:58 AM
Aristocracy

I have just finished watching this series on DVD and can highly recommend it. I think you could watch it two or three times to pick up new information that you missed the first time.

It is full of interesting (sometimes new) stories and histories. I would love the book and will now endeavour to find one if possible. A family tree of the descendants of Christan IX would be useful as one watches the DVD subsequent times.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Commoner

I'm at home in bed with an awful cold and cough ( not slept for 4 nights cos of the cough) so I've just treated myself to this off the ABC site! Just got some antibiotics from Drs so may get some sleep tonight - or you may see me on these threads at some ungodly hour. Still, every cloud has a silver lining -I've treated myself to this DVD and I've avoided travelling in all the ice and snow this week :)