"A Royal Affair" (2012) - Danish Film about Christian VII, His Wife & the Physician

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lumutqueen

Imperial Majesty
City
Middlewich
Country
United Kingdom
"A Royal Affair" (2012) - Danish Film about Christian VII, His Wife & the Physician

A Royal Affair is a 2012 historical drama film directed by Nikolaj Arcel, starring Mads Mikkelsen, Alicia Vikander and Mikkel Følsgaard. The story is set in the 18th century, at the court of the mentally ill King Christian VII of Denmark, and focuses on the romance between the queen and the royal physician Struensee.

I believe Mary and Frederik of Denmark attended the premiere of this film in Denmark. I just saw a review of the film that's in UK cinemas this weekend, and the critic was shocked at how good the film was and how unlike a royal romantic affair it is. :flowers:

I wonder if it will come to the USA? Anyone know?

It looks interesting, hopefully it will come across the pond. :)

"A Royal Affair" featured at the recent Sydney Film Festival and impressed quite a few people.
Here is what the Arts Editor of the Sydney Morning Herald (22.6.2012) had to say:

"Editor's pick

The critrics are in agreement: Nikolaj Arcel's A Royal Affair is a winner. One has even gone so far as to label it "magnificant".

Sure, the film is a costume drama, so we have to endure a fair bit of embroidery and big frocks, but it's also sexy, gritty and grungy, and the story is a cracker.

It's based on real events in 18th century Denmark, during the reign of Queen Caroline Mathilde (played by Alice Bikander) and King Christian VII (Mikkel Boe Folsgaard). King Christian had schizophrenia and Dr Johann Friedrich Struensee (Mads Mikkelsen) became his personal physician. Then he became the Queen's lover and...lots of difficult and bloody events ensued.

Arcel, who co-wrote the script, also wrote the Swedish adaptation of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, so he's well versed in dark Scandy atmospherics.

The film-makers have drawn one line when it comes to keeping it real. Apparently the real Struensee was a tad unsightly. Mikkelsen, by contrast, is enviably easy on the eye. He is Denmark's favourite actor and likely to become similarly popular here."

I'm interested in going to see this tomorrow night in Belfaat. I'm wondering if anyone knows if it has English subtitles

I'm interested in going to see this tomorrow night in Belfaat. I'm wondering if anyone knows if it has English subtitles

It does. :) Or at least the one the BBC Film Critic saw had subtitles. I can't imagine they wouldn't.

I just saw the trailer for this move. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the theater. The premiere date is Sept. 21st. according to the Apple trailers app.

It is a really wonderful film, could have been a bit shorter, but that is the only finger I can put on it. Especially Mikkel Boe Følsgaard gives an amazing performance. I most certainly can recommend it.

I've just ordered this off Amazon,but I may wait and keep it for over the Christmas holidays!

The Danes

The Danes’ Royal Drama Gets Its Hollywood Moment

excerpts

On paper it sounds like an odd hybrid: A Royal Affair, Denmark’s official submission for this year’s foreign-language Oscar, is a cross between an old-fashioned romantic epic and a hard-edged political drama. Director and co-writer Nikolaj Arcel calls the film “David Lean meets Dogme.” The combination proves to be combustible.

Danish students are all taught the history lesson that this film provides—the story of the upheavals that shook the court of King Christian VII in the late 18th century, at the same time that revolutions were brewing in America and France. But to U.S. audiences, the story will be a fresh and fascinating one. “Powers were shifting all over the world,” Arcel comments. “The difference in Denmark was that this mini-revolution came from the top of society. A few years later, the peasants revolted in France.” Both countries were responding to the ideas of radical thinkers like Voltaire, Thomas Paine, and Jean-Jacques Rousseau. There were additional parallels between England and Denmark. During the time of the American Revolution, England was ruled by George III, who has become known (partly as a result of the play and movie The Madness of King George) for his mental instability. King Christian of Denmark was also said to be a mad king, though Arcel feels that label is a bit simplistic. The revolt at his court was instigated by the court physician, who was having an affair with the king’s wife. Queen Caroline happened to be the younger sister of King George III. “We didn’t mention that in the movie, because we felt audiences would never believe it,” Arcel says.

In Denmark, the queen and the doctor, Johann Struensee, eventually encouraged the impressionable king to introduce major reforms that benefited ordinary citizens. But they were challenging many other leaders at the court who wanted to retain their privileges. The film details a battle between youthful voices of freedom and more authoritarian factions within the palace.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was nominated for a Golden Globe in the category Best Foreign Language Film.
It's up against The Intouchables and Amour though, so I don't think that it's gonna win, sadly.

Women and girls who wish they were princesses should take a good hard look at what their life was most likely going to be like. The portrayal of the marriage is one that shows a reality of royal marriage.

It was nominated for a Golden Globe in the category Best Foreign Language Film.
It's up against The Intouchables and Amour though, so I don't think that it's gonna win, sadly.

Its wonderful that this movie got nominated,it may not win in that category,but the fact it got nominated is enough for me.

I recently watched this movie and loved it!

It is pretty big that a film about royals unbeknownst (I believe) to people who aren't Danish or have a greater interest in royals, gets nominated to a Golden Globe. That makes me kind of proud. Also there is the whole "when you've said the Golden Globes, you may very well say the Academy Awards" (alright, I made that up, but when the Danish film In A Better World won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Picture a couple of years ago, it was also nominated for ((and won)) a Golden Globe), so it's going to be exciting indeed.

Absolutely agree with you there,after watching the movie I found myself researching and reading up on several of the characters,most notably Juliana Maria of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel!

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I bought the film because I saw the actor Mads Mikkelsen on the cover. I have finished to watch it few minutes ago but I have still the tears in my eyes because of the story... It was such beatiful story with predictable and known end but still IMO it's obbligatory film for every royalist! Especially I liked the actress playing the Queen and Mikkelsen is simply divine....

It's a shame it was up for all these awards at the same time as Amour because I really think it would have had a shot otherwise. At our Danish equivalent to the Oscars (don't make me laugh, it's called Robert Uddelingen/"the Roberts"), which was held just the other day, it won:

Best Supporting Actor (Mikkel Boe Følsgaard/King Christian VII)
Best Supporting Actress (Trine Dyrholm/Queen Juliane Marie)
Best Director (Nikolaj Arcel)
Best Screenplay (Tobias Lindholm)
Best Photography (Rasmus Videbæk)
Best Cinematography (Niels Sejer)
Best Hair and Make-up (Ivo Strangmüller and Dennis Knudsen, who is Princess Marie of Denmark's hair stylist)
Special Effects of the Year (Jeppe Nygaard Christensen, Esben Syberg and Rikke Hovgaard Jørgensen)
Music of the Year (Gabriel Yared and Cyrille Aufort)

Surprisingly it didn't win either Best Picture, Best Actress nor Best Actor, but still it took home the most.

Back
Top Bottom