"90 Glorious Years: Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother" (1990) - Documentary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
Blurb:

"PORTRAIT OF A GREAT LADY - The Queen Mother

She was the longest-living British Royal in memory who witnessed some of the most significant developments and historical moments of the last century. When she was born, the British Army was fighting its last great imperial war in South Africa, airplanes had not yet flown, and gas lamps had not been replaced by electric lighting.

In this original program, a fellow-Scot who is almost as well known, actor David Niven, guides us through her remarkable and touching story.

The bonus program is "Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother - 90 Glorious Years", narrated by Richard Baker.

This delightful double feature will appeal to lovers of The Queen Mother and The Royal Family in general."

Length: 89 mins
downloadable

I always feel Queen Elizabeth TQM is the most over-rated royal in modern history..
She was just damn lucky, at the right time , at the right place and fantastic PR.
I am damn sure she stands nowhere in front of her daughter in standing up on problems and making sacrifices to secure the future of her House and her descendants..

The Queen Mother went through a lot more than her daughter in terms of emotional trauma in my opinion.
Elizabeth was prepared for her life and her role and Monarch, I don't see exactly what she's been faced with except her children's divorces and the fire at Windsor.

What has Elizabeth II done to secure her 'house'?

The way I see it, both women have gone through a great deal. Different things in different times but I think The Queen Mother and The Queen have been the glue that have held the family together.

I don't see The late Queen Mother has a saint but I think she did a magnificent job on serving the people, supporting the "Firm" after losing The King at an early age and being a loving mother, grandmother and greatgrandmother.

The Queen Mother went through a lot more than her daughter in terms of emotional trauma in my opinion.
Elizabeth was prepared for her life and her role and Monarch, I don't see exactly what she's been faced with except her children's divorces and the fire at Windsor.

What has Elizabeth II done to secure her 'house'?

But The Queen Mother never actually helped in the situations where her age, experience and counsel would have saved major embarrassmants for the family, in turn the monarchy, like Margaret's and Prince Charles' marriages/relationships.
She just felt waving and smiling will grant her all the extravagance she had till her end..while the Queen struggled with overdrafts..
And if you are so eager to undermine what all the Queen has endured in her reign..
Then what actually The Queen Mother has endured..except her husband's speech disorder..The wars were a global problem and not hers..
And her husband died just because of his unpermissible levels of smoking..which he would have anyway..
She simply villified The Duke and Duchess of Windsor as cause of her problems, while in reality they were the cause of all her good life..
Anyways I dont see any good in discussing negativity. And drag many other characters into this..Leave it.
But i shall never agree QM has endured more than the Queen..

But The Queen Mother never actually helped in the situations where her age, experience and counsel would have saved major embarrassmants for the family, in turn the monarchy, like Margaret's and Prince Charles' marriages/relationships.

You do realise that when Charles got divorced, The Queen Mother was 97 years old? And when Margaret and Anthony divorced she was 78. What was she supposed to do?

And if you are so eager to undermine what all the Queen has endured in her reign..

I am not at all eager to undermine what The Queen has done, I inquired what she has exactly 'endured' that makes QMT look like a bystander.

She simply villified The Duke and Duchess of Windsor as cause of her problems, while in reality they were the cause of all her good life..

I'd like to see you live the life of TQM and not blame Wallis Simpson for putting her in that situation. Being Queen is hardly easy and watching your husband suffer for it is even worse. 'All her good life' is not for you to decide.

Anyways I dont see any good in discussing negativity. And drag many other characters into this..Leave it..

I would suggest then, that you don't start something you don't wish to finish. You expressed your opinion that you clearly dislike The Queen Mother, I inquire why and what The Queen has actually gone through and you decide not to answer and end the discussion. I find that very telling in a poster if i'm honest.

I think blaming The Windsors for The Kings death was just out of The Queen Mother's anger and sorrow. I really don't think they were the blame for his untimely passing.

I think King George & Queen Elizabeth's came to the throne for a reason and I think it was all in God's plan.

You do realise that when Charles got divorced, The Queen Mother was 97 years old? And when Margaret and Anthony divorced she was 78. What was she supposed to do?
/QUOTE]

Ok Lumutqueen..Now I got you..

I am not telling what she was doing when they were getting divorced..I am telling where on earth is she when they were getting married..

1.She "took care" of Charles since he was a kid and she is supposed to know him very well..
2.She knew the Spencer family well and knew perfectly well in what environment Diana was raised
3.Now with her 80 years of age and 6 decades as royal couldnt she see that they are a perfect mismatch and can no way complement each other?
And what was she doing...trying to balance mountbatten and pushing Charles in this direction?And she never cared what Diana was going through soon after her marriage..whether she needs some help/advice (She is supposed to know more than the Queen,cos the latter was born into royalty)
4.And regarding Princess margaret, couldnt she judge her daughter's feelings regarding Peter Townsend and counsel her well in time, the right options in front of her..

I really blame her for her "indifference" and "inaction" in these two things, especially Charles'.Be very clear..her indifference and inaction..not her..Especially the Charles' episode..It could have avoided the only major big blot of the entire recent past of British royalty

Come on..whats the use of living a long life if you cant put use of ur experience for your future generations..The Queen learnt from her children and started giving her grandchildren complete freedon regarding relationships..Thats the spirit..

And you are terribly mistaken that I hate QM..everyone has their share of faults..Acts of commission as well as omission..Afterall that is history..If you want to discuss only the 'good-grandmother' part..its not fair..And except for this, i absolutely have no probs with QM..I like and respect her as much as u do..

Last edited:
I think blaming The Windsors for The Kings death was just out of The Queen Mother's anger and sorrow. I really don't think they were the blame for his untimely passing.

I think King George & Queen Elizabeth's came to the throne for a reason and I think it was all in God's plan.

Exactly..Instead of accepting it as destiny..blaming them for his death is really silly...

Unfortunately I cannot quote your post, but the main jist seems to be you somehow blame TQM for Charles and Margaret's divorce because she didn't step in when they were getting married and stop the whole charade by using her wealth of experience and knowledge, yes?

You cannot predict the future you know, if Charles and Margaret and their partners wanted to marry each other, what exactly could have Elizabeth done to stop them? The downfall of both marriages had everything to do with the people in them, and the downfall happened way after the wedding itself.

And destiny's hardly going to get you through the 'Wallis Simpson debacle' considering the time. Elizabeth had every right to be angry at Wallis and Edward for what they did, I praise her for holding the grudge for so long. Show's a massive strength to me.

Ok Lumutqueen....I give up..You seem much stronger than QM herself..You win..

Last edited by a moderator:
I too believe The Queen had a right to be angry about her husband's early death but holding a grudge against her brother-in-law and her sister-in-law and blaming them for it didn't bring The King back and I personally don't think holding grudges is good for your spirit. I would like to think Her Late Majesty prayed about the situation and learned to let it all go before her passing.

I think despite him not being in direct line to the throne, King George did what he had to do as King and he had a great supporting Queen by his side.

Back
Top Bottom