Which Royal Families are the Swedes Related To?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by sexyswede@Jan 23rd, 2004 - 6:34 pm
what other royal houses are sweden related to ?thanks
I know that the royal house of Sweden are related to Denmark by late queen Ingrid she was princesse in Sweden until she was marryied to CP Frederik the 9th,then she became CP Ingrid of Denmark and then queen of Denmark in 1947 until the death of her husbend then she became queenmother till her one death in 2000. :cry: :cry: :cry:

C3. Oscar CARL Vilhelm, *Stockholm 27.2.1861, +Stockholm 25.10.1951; m.Copenhagen 27.8.1897 Pss Ingeborg of Denmark (*2.8.1878 +11.3.1958)

* D1. Margaretha Sophia Louisa Ingeborg, *Stockholm 25.6.1899, +Gentofte 3.1.1977/Kongsted, nr Fakse, Denmark 4.1.1977; m.Stockholm 22.5.1919 Pr Axel of Denmark (*12.8.1888 +14.7.1964)

* D2. MÄRTHA Sophia Louisa Dagmar Thyra, *Stockholm 28.3.1901, +Oslo 5.4.1954; m.Oslo 21.3.1929 King Olav V of Norway (*2.7.1903 +17.1.1991)

# E3. INGRID Victoria Sofia Louise Margareta, *Stockholm 28.3.1910; m.Stockholm 24.5.1935 King Frederik IX of Denmark (*11.3.1899 +14.1.1972)

Here's a good source of information:

http://genealogy.euweb.cz/bernad/bernad.html

Originally posted by sexyswede@Jan 23rd, 2004 - 6:34 pm
what other royal houses are sweden related to ?thanks
The King or his relatives too? Reigning or non-reigning? If the former, all of them (assuming you're referring to relatives by marriage and not only direct descendants).

Sean

Originally posted by sexyswede@Jan 24th, 2004 - 6:35 pm
All of it!by marriage and blood the king, and relatives please thank you so much
I would suggest you try an Almanach de Gotha, as it would be far too much work to show how the RF is related to the other houses of Europe.

You can start by looking at the online Gotha at

http://pages.prodigy.net/ptheroff/gotha/gotha.htm

If you have any specific questions, then I can try and help you.

Sean. ~

Hej! ;)

I was wondering with which families the Swedish Royal Families is rather directly connected.
I know that they are quite close to the Danes with Queen Ingrid, but what about Norway? Or other Royals?

Thanks for your help! :flowers:

They are also related to the Begian Royals, through Queen Astrid, King Albert's mother. She was born Princess of Sweden.

So...is Carl Gustaf some kind of cousin to King Albert?

They are also related to the Begian Royals, through Queen Astrid, King Albert's mother. She was born Princess of Sweden.
So, as Josephine Charlotte of Belgium, that was Queen Astrid's daughter and obviously King Albert's sister, married Jean of Luxembourg and became Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, the Sweden Royals are related to the Royal family of Luxembourg too

Yes, and Princess Astrid's sister, Märtha, also a princess of Sweden, is King Harald of Norway's mother. :flowers:
So King Albert of Belgium and King Harald of Norway are first cousins, but I don't know how exactely Märtha and Astrid were related to King Carl-Gustaf's father?:ermm:

Märta and Astrid were daughters to Prince Carl and Princess Ingeborg of Sweden. Prince Carl was one of King Gustav V´s brothers. King Gustav VI Adolf was a first cousin to Astrid and Märtha. Harlad and Albert are second cousins of Carl XVI Gustaf´s father Prince Gustaf Adolf (died 1947).

Crown Princess Märtha and Queen Astrid´s mother, Princess Ingeborg, was born Princess of Denmark and sister to the danish Prince Carl who 1905 became King Haakon VII of Norway. Märtha and her husband (Olav of Norway) were first cousins. Ingeborg´s mother Queen Louisa of Denmark was a Princess of Sweden, a first cousin to King Gustav V. The Danish and Swedish RFS are related in several ways.

Of course the late Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg was a second cousin to Prince Gustav Adolf too.

It´s me again...just want to mention the "Greek Connection" through Queen Ingrid of Denamrk and her daughter Queen Anne-Marie of G.

And of course the Swedish RF are related with the RF of GB - Carl XVI Gustaf´s father Prince Gustav Adolf was eldest son of Crown P Margareta of Sweden. Her father was Prince Arthur of Connaught, one of Queen Victoria´s younger sons. Margareta was first cousin to Georg V of GB. That´s all for now...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very nice to read something about royalfamilies ,I know a bit and I have read articles, but thanks for the information.[Also a sister of Martha en Astrid, Margarethe is married in Danmark].

Not a close connection but I believe the Swedes are closest related to the Dutch by the Kings mother, Princess Sibilla. Sibilla´s paternal grandmother (Helen of Waldeck-Pyrmont) and Juliana´s maternal grandmother (Emma of Waldeck-Pyrmont) were sisters.

Carl XVI Gustaf is also somewhat related to Elisabeth II, as they are both great great grandchildren of Queen Victoria and her husband Albert. Carl XVI Gustaf's paternal grandmother, our crown princess Margareta, was born as a Brittish princess with the name Margareth of Connaught, and her father was prince Arthur, one of Victoria's and Albert's sons. I believe Carl XVI Gustaf and Elisabeth II are third cousins.

Last edited:
Not a close connection but I believe the Swedes are closest related to the Dutch by the Kings mother, Princess Sibilla. Sibilla´s paternal grandmother (Helen of Waldeck-Pyrmont) and Juliana´s maternal grandmother (Emma of Waldeck-Pyrmont) were sisters.

But Princess Sibylla was of the house Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, and so is the Belgian Royal house. This and the fact that King Albert II mother was astrid of sweden, must make them our most closely connection in the matter of royal ties.

Last edited:
Carl XVI Gustaf is also somewhat related to Elisabeth II, as they are both great great grandchildren of Queen Victoria and her husband Albert. Carl XVI Gustaf's paternal grandmother, our crown princess Margareta, was born as a Brittish princess with the name Margareth of Connaught, and her father was prince Arthur, one of Victoria's and Albert's sons. I believe Carl XVI Gustaf and Elisabeth II are third cousins.

They are both great-great-grandchildren of Queen Victoria. Here are the lines:
Victoria - Arthur, Duke of Connaught - Margaret - Gustaf Adolf - Carl XVI. Gustaf

Victoria - Edward VII. - George V. - George VI. - Elizabeth II.

So, as Josephine Charlotte of Belgium, that was Queen Astrid's daughter and obviously King Albert's sister, married Jean of Luxembourg and became Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, the Sweden Royals are related to the Royal family of Luxembourg too

They are also related to the Luxembourgs through Queen Sofia, née Princess of Nassau the spouse of King Oscar II. She was the halfsister of Grand Duke Adolphe of Luxembourg.

This closely relation has paid of, it is probably not a coincidence that the Luxembourg/belgian houses knights swedish royals that have lost their title.

Does anyone know the connection Carl XVI Gustaf has with King Simeon II of bulgaria?
Simeon II is from the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha as the belgian royalhouse. Are they cousins or what? Simeon II is always invited to weddings, birthdays and so on. They seem to have a close relation.

This closely relation has paid of, it is probably not a coincidence that the Luxembourg/belgian houses knights swedish royals that have lost their title.

Does anyone know the connection Carl XVI Gustaf has with King Simeon II of bulgaria?
Simeon II is from the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha as the belgian royalhouse. Are they cousins or what? Simeon II is always invited to weddings, birthdays and so on. They seem to have a close relation.

You have to gack very far to Duke Franz of Saxe-Saalfeld-Coburg.

Franz - Ferdinand - August - Ferdinand I. of Bulgaria - Boris III. - Simeon II.

Franz - Victoire - Victoria - Arthur - Margaret - Gustaf Adolf - Carl XVI. Gustaf

or

Franz - Ernst I. - Albert - Leopold - Karl Edard - Sibylla - Carl XVI. Gustaf

Danish royal family is related to the Swedish royal through marriage.
Princess Ingrid of Sweden married Crown Prince Fredrik of Denmark
who later become King Fredrik IX of Denamrk and she became Queen
Ingrid of Denmark.

Actually, King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Margarethe are first cousins.

Actually, King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Margarethe are first cousins.

I did not know how close the Swedes are related to the Danes but I know that they are related.

Queen Ingrid was the sister of Carl XVI's father, Prince Gustaf Adolf Edmund.

Interesting thread, but the Swede's are definately closest related to the Dane's. And visa versa.

As close to the Swedes as to the Saxe-Coburgs (Prince Andreas)

All the reigning and non-reigning royal houses are related in some way.

Belgium/Sweden/Luxembourg
Christian IX - Frederick VIII - Ingeborg - Astrid (Pcss.of Sweden, Queen of Belgium) - Josephine-Charlotte - Henri

Norway
Oscar II of Sweden - Haakon VII (Norway) - Olav V - Harald V - Haakon - Ingrid Alexandra

Sweden
Oscar II of Sweden - Gustaf V - Gustaf VI Adolf - Ingrid (Queen of Denmark) - Margarethe II - Frederick - Christian

Greece
Christian IX - George I of Greece - Constantine I - Paul I - Constantine II
Christian IX - Frederick VIII - Christian X - Frederick IX - Anne Marie (she is married to Constantine II)

All the reigning and non-reigning royal houses are related in some way.

Norway
Oscar II of Sweden - Haakon VII (Norway) - Olav V - Harald V - Haakon - Ingrid Alexandra

Oscar II. is no ancestor of Haakon VII.

It would go

Carl XV. - Louise - Haakon VII.

Oscar II. is no ancestor of Haakon VII.

It would go

Carl XV. - Louise - Haakon VII.

Or Oscar II of Sweden - Carl of Sweden - Märtha - Harald V - Haakon Magnus - Ingrid Alexandra :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom