The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

A new clip from The Year with the Royal Family
Victoria, Estelle and Silvia at the exhibition of the king 40 years at the throne, queen Silvia is also interviewed.
Drottning Silvia om kärleken till Estelle SVT Play

Queen Silvia is "Mumma" to Estelle and Victoria is "Mami"

Old 12-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post

Victoria, Estelle and Silvia at the exhibition of the king 40 years at the throne, queen Silvia is also interviewed.

Thanks so much!! If anyone wants to translate or summarize what is being said I would love that!! I wish there were subtitles! :)

Old 12-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:

Thanks a lot for uploading the video LadyFinn. That was adorable (as it always is with Estelle ), it seems that Estelle and Victoria have a special bond with each other. I would love to know what Silvia was saying at the end of the video (I do believe it was about Estelle and Madeleine), is it possible if I could have a translation?

P.S = Thanks again LadyFinn for taking your time to upload/post photos and videos of the SRF so we're up to date with their news and current events. It's much appreciated.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Here is a translation, I'm not sure if everything is right since queen Silvia's swedish is quite difficult to listen, she doesn't pronounce all words very well and she has a heavy accent.
Victoria: A big photo, oj-oj! Who is it?
Estelle: Mmm…
Victoria: Let’s go and look? Do you want to run and look? Will you sing a little? Or dance a little?
Silvia: You see grandfather there? Look.
Victoria: That one is a little strange there. That painting looks a little different.
Silvia: Quite big. Is it so hard to watch?
Estelle reaches Silvia’s hand : Mumma
Silvia: Mumma too
Estelle reaches Victoria’s hand: Mami
Victoria: Mami too. Let’s go to this side
Silvia points to a photo from Estelle’s christening: There is little Estelle. Very nice. And mummy and grandfather.
Silvia: I remember that my mother said that a grandchild is the dessert of life. And I must say that it is so. It is so cute. It is fantastic to see her progress. She does things that you see that she really understands, and sometimes she's a step ahead. I have three children whom I of course have followed with love and thought that it is a wonder. But a grandchild is in some odd way closer, even closer. That adorable little one.
Reporter: Now the queen is becoming a grandmother again, how does it feel?
Silvia: It is very exciting. It is great to see that the Princess is feeling very good and that the little constellation (?) around her is fine. Now I live quite far away but I can feel very calm.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:12 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Many thanks for the translation, LadyFinn. Silvia seems to love Estelle very much, I liked her description of "an adorable little one".
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Courtier

I sometimes forget Silvia is not a native of Sweden, does she still have a strong foreign accent? I do't hear enough Swedish being spoke to tell.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I sometimes forget Silvia is not a native of Sweden, does she still have a strong foreign accent? I do't hear enough Swedish being spoke to tell.
Many people in different swedish forums criticize quite heavily queen Silvia's swedish, that she after 37 years of marriage can't speak swedish better, especially when she speaks of course german but also english, portuguese, spanish and french. Svensk Damtidning's reporter told that the queen also speaks quietly, so you have to listen very carefully when you are interviewing her.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Nobility

Someone posted this about 3 weeks ago on Youtube.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Many people in different swedish forums criticize quite heavily queen Silvia's swedish, that she after 37 years of marriage can't speak swedish better, especially when she speaks of course german but also english, portuguese, spanish and french. Svensk Damtidning's reporter told that the queen also speaks quietly, so you have to listen very carefully when you are interviewing her.
Can i ask what is wrong with her swedish? To a non-swedish speaker (me) she sounds pretty fluent in the video posted in above post, but apoarently that's nit the case? Or does she a german accent or something?
Old 12-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Can i ask what is wrong with her swedish? To a non-swedish speaker (me) she sounds pretty fluent in the video posted in above post, but apoarently that's nit the case? Or does she a german accent or something?
Since swedish isn't my native language, just the second language, I can't speak for those who speak swedish as their native language. But to me queen Silvia's swedish is difficult to listen because she speaks swedish somehow very softly (to me german has always been a very soft language) and to me there is a very clear accent. And she makes grammatical mistakes.
I have no difficulties in listening and understanding the other swedish royals, just with the queen.
I know that I make mistakes in my swedish and english, but luckily I'm not the queen...

Another clip from "The Year with the Royal Family", shown in SVT News Report today.
If you are ready to receive an organ, you should also be prepared to give an organ. This says Prince Daniel, who himself got a kidney transplant. He meets an 11-month old Izabelle, who has just got a liver transplant.
Prins Daniel uppmanar till organdonation - Nyheter SVT.se

In SVT's The Year with the Royal Family Daniel makes a return visit to the Karolinska University Hospital and the clinic where he in May 2009 got a kidney transplant.
SVT told recently that a record number of Swedes are waiting for a new organ, and that it is both scarce and that there are big differences between how well the county is to seize the organs from potential donors.
Each deceased donor can save the lives of up to eight people. Today, there are nearly one and a half million Swedes registered in the donation and at the program Daniel invites more Swedes to register.
- If you are ready to receive an organ, I think you should also be prepared to give an organ. But sometimes, I think people forget that they should express their will that they are prepared to donate to their environment or their relatives. One can easily access the web and sign up for the donation, it takes maybe 30 seconds, says Prince Daniel.
Kidney and liver are the most needed and even the most transplanted organs - and both kidney and liver can be donated from living persons.
Prince Daniel was born with a disease that resulted in reduced kidney function and his father donated him a kidney in May 2009.
- Prince Daniel is an exemplary patient, I must say. He follows the prescriptions to the letter and performs well in every way. He is very keen to take care of this kidney that he has received from his father, and he has also been very successful, says Dr Lars Wennberg.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Since swedish isn't my native language, just the second language, I can't speak for those who speak swedish as their native language. But to me queen Silvia's swedish is difficult to listen because she speaks swedish somehow very softly (to me german has always been a very soft language) and to me there is a very clear accent. And she makes grammatical mistakes.
I have no difficulties in listening and understanding the other swedish royals, just with the queen.
I know that I make mistakes in my swedish and english, but luckily I'm not the queen...
I know what you mean with that. I always think the other way around (swedish is a hard language) when I hear them all (Silvia included) speaking swedish. But I recognize Silvia speaking swedish softer than all the other swedish royals. Not as hard and without this "taktaktak" if you know what I mean. That's why I can imagine her still having an accent, even if I don't recognize it, because I don't speak swedish.

But even if she still has an accent, I don't understand the critism about that. She isn't a native Swede, so it's only natural that she doesn't speak swedish as if she were a Swede. Accents can be quiete charming. So let her have her accent.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

I personally don't speak Swedish, but I admire Queen Silvia and all who learn and try to speak a foreign language fluently despite any possible mistakes.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Quote:
Here is a translation, I'm not sure if everything is right since queen Silvia's swedish is quite difficult to listen, she doesn't pronounce all words very well and she has a heavy accent.
Victoria: A big photo, oj-oj! Who is it?
Estelle: Mmm…
Victoria: Let’s go and look? Do you want to run and look? Will you sing a little? Or dance a little?
Silvia: You see grandfather there? Look.
Victoria: That one is a little strange there. That painting looks a little different.
Silvia: Quite big. Is it so hard to watch?
Estelle reaches Silvia’s hand : Mumma
Silvia: Mumma too
Estelle reaches Victoria’s hand: Mami
Victoria: Mami too. Let’s go to this side
Silvia points to a photo from Estelle’s christening: There is little Estelle. Very nice. And mummy and grandfather.
Silvia: I remember that my mother said that a grandchild is the dessert of life. And I must say that it is so. It is so cute. It is fantastic to see her progress. She does things that you see that she really understands, and sometimes she's a step ahead. I have three children whom I of course have followed with love and thought that it is a wonder. But a grandchild is in some odd way closer, even closer. That adorable little one.
Reporter: Now the queen is becoming a grandmother again, how does it feel?
Silvia: It is very exciting. It is great to see that the Princess is feeling very good and that the little constellation (?) around her is fine. Now I live quite far away but I can feel very calm.

Thanks
Such an adorable video .... can not wait to see full documentary
Old 12-30-2013, 12:08 AM
Nobility

I found a video of Silvia and Carl Gustaf dancing from the 1990's (I think). I will post it tmrw when I get back to my computer- but does anyone else know of any other time besides Victoria's wedding and September when they danced?
Old 12-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

A teaser from The Year with the Royal Family
2013 från bröllop till kontroverser SVT Play

A new short clip from The Year with the Royal Family, queen Silvia speaks about Estelle
”Prinsessan Estelle älskar att dansa” SVT Play

"She has got a fantastic balance, she can stand on one leg, and walk very steadily in troublesome places, where you are a little uncertain if you should help or not. She is very steady, she loves to dance. She has a great balance, and one could see that at the King’s 40th Jubilee here, she was the first one to go with the music".
Old 12-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Courtier

The video with the queen, Victoria and Estelle is soo adorable! I think Estelle is a very happy, content kid, spirited but not too bubbly at the same time. She seems so open and you immediately feel that she is getting so much love from the whole family. Can't wait for the whole documentary

I don't really speak Swedish, but I'm trying to learn it a bit and I listen to it a lot when I watch stuff about the SRF, so I can hear that Silvia has quite a German accent. I wouldn't blame her for it, as I think Swedish pronunciation is quite different from Swedish pronunciation and not easy to master. But I find it strange if she is really still making grammatical mistakes, as she has been living there for so long and apparently has some talent for languages.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:09 PM
Nobility

Wedding King Carl Gustav & Silvia Sommerlath 1976 - Dailymotion-Video

I don't know if this has been posted before but you can hear and see the wedding speech at CG and S wedding!
Old 12-31-2013, 07:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahbellar View Post
Wedding King Carl Gustav & Silvia Sommerlath 1976 - Dailymotion-Video

I don't know if this has been posted before but you can hear and see the wedding speech at CG and S wedding!
great find!! thanks very much ive never seen it before.....happy new year!!!! (great blog btw :))
Old 12-31-2013, 07:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
great find!! thanks very much ive never seen it before.....happy new year!!!! (great blog btw :))
Why Thank You! :) Happy New Year to You Too!

If anyone can understand Swedish could you tell me if there were any good highlights from the clip? (I don't speak Swedish, I am still learning, so I am not sure what was said haha)
Old 12-31-2013, 08:14 PM
Nobility

Royal Lovestory Victoria & Daniel von Schweden Teil 3 - Dailymotion-Video

This is part of documentary on Victoria and Daniel, however around 6mins they begin to talk about Silvia and Carl Gustaf. Does anyone know what CG says on the balcony around 6:25? I think the documentary is in German but I am not positive... :)