The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-05-2005, 03:02 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
There´s an article in this morning´s Aftonbladet. I have translated it.

Victoria cries at coffins.

They were not able to hold back the tears. Both Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine cried openly while relatives said their farewells to their cherished ones. Shortly before 3:30 this morning, there was a ceremony for the six dead at Arlanda. The ceremony was held privately without microphones which was the wish of the relatives. Arm in arm, they stood and listened to Archbishop Hammar give a parting word to the deceased. Then the prime minister and the speaker of the Parliament talked to the relatives. When there was time for a separate farewell the relatives walked to the coffins and laid roses on them. Then neither Crown Princess Victoria nor Princess Madeleine were able to hold back tears. They cried openly and were drying off their tears. Victoria had arrived at Arlanda late yesterday evening. She had cancelled her holiday in Kenya. She had just arrived in Stockholm and only had enough time to change her clothes and return to Arlanda.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NYHETER-05s20-nyvickan-926.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	75556  

Old 01-05-2005, 05:40 AM
Majesty

Here´s the article from this morning´s Expressen:

Victoria in tears at Arlanda.

Victoria broke down into tears tonight. She was interrupted during her vacation in Kenya and she returned, as swift as lightning, home to Sweden to face the relatives of those who perished in the catastrophe. Darkly-clad and with serious eyes, she faced the coffins which had travelled halfway around the globe. In these last couple of weeks, King Carl XVI Gustaf had had several occasions to make known his views known in newspapers and on TV. Such a thing or anything like this is very extraordinary. Tonight the whole family was in place at Arlanda including Crown Princess Victoria.

They were there to have an emotional rendezvous with the victims and relatives of this disaster. Crown Princess Victoria fell into tears during the ceremony. Both she and the others in the Royal Familly have been greatly affected by this disaster and have made a dramatic statement of support to the ones who have survived.(I guess so. A strong showing. Being visible in public. I suppose). The Royal Couple and the Royal Children have friends themselves who were in the region when the deadly-wave arrived on the day after Christmas. Therefore, it goes without saying to the families that were at Arlanda airport that they would participate in and organized the memorial service that would honor the first Swedes to return early this morning.

Crown Princess Victoria´s vacation in Kenya was interrupted because of this catastrophe. She return directly home to Sweden and arrived to put herself in place at Arlanda.

"The Crown Princess sends warm regards to the affected families and expresses deep sympathy with their great sorrow." it was said in the Royal Court´s Press release during the day.

During the past week, the Royal Family have engaged themselves on several occasions with the catastrophe. On Saturday day, the Royal Couple, Carl Philip and Madeleine participated in a live fundraiser on SVT and TV4. At the same time, Madeleine told Expressen that she was missing several friends:

"It is grievous. At the same time, it is important not to give up."

The King yesterday expressed his sincere thanks to the Thai people and was thinking of making a trip to Thailand to personally convey his thanks to King Bhumibol.

"In many ways, we have witnessed the great helpfulness that the Thai authorities, organizations and companies showed, particularly to the Swedish people. I have had conversations with Swedes and have been affected by their stories and it is on the behalf of them and myself, that I want to show our great appreciation."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	907632a2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	75572  

Old 01-05-2005, 06:11 AM
Aristocracy

Crowprincess Victoria and Princess Madeleine were present at the arrival of the coffins of the first 6 deceased swedish to return from Thailand. Also present was prime minister Göran Persson.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyhete...584441,00.html

Old 01-05-2005, 06:18 AM
Heir Apparent

The coffin of Swedish people come back to Swden.Very sad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51914927.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	75583   Click image for larger version

Name:	kung1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	75584   Click image for larger version

Name:	NYHETER-05s20-nyvickan-926_368.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	75585   Click image for larger version

Name:	nykungafamilj463.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	75586  

Name:	r749862651.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	75587   Click image for larger version

Name:	svt1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	75588  
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 01-05-2005, 09:04 AM
Serene Highness

More pics from the TV show last saturday
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2005,new1jan.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	75679   Click image for larger version

Name:	2005,new1janb.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	75680   Click image for larger version

Name:	new1jan.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	75681   Click image for larger version

Name:	2005, new1jana.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	75682  

Old 01-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennism/Expressen
she returned, as swift as lightning, home to Sweden to face the relatives of those who perished in the catastrophe.
Hmm… It seems as Expressen has a totally different knowledge on how fast lightning works than the knowledge the rest of the world has… So 8 days is as fast as lightning? *scratching my head*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennism/Expressen
Crown Princess Victoria fell into tears during the ceremony
Who didn’t?

If anyone deserves praise on how they’ve acted in these times of mourning – it’s King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Siliva who acted immediately and have shown a lot of symphathy and support – not their eldest daughter who stayed on her vacation for one week after the tsunami occurred. This is simply unfair appraisal.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennism
Here´s the article from this morning´s Expressen:

Victoria in tears at Arlanda.

Victoria broke down into tears tonight. She was interrupted during her vacation in Kenya and she returned, as swift as lightning, home to Sweden to face the relatives of those who perished in the catastrophe. Darkly-clad and with serious eyes, she faced the coffins which had travelled halfway around the globe.
Crown Princess Victoria´s vacation in Kenya was interrupted because of this catastrophe. She return directly home to Sweden and arrived to put herself in place at Arlanda.
The Crown Princess sends warm regards to the affected families and expresses deep sympathy with their great sorrow." it was said in the Royal Court´s Press release during the day.
I am not sure what kind of publication Expressen is, and whether it is a very credible source known for its good journalism or not, but for anyone who has been following the story as I have here, they make it seem like Victoria dropped everything and rushed immediately home -- which is not true. We know that she remained in Kenya for eight (long) days from when the tragedy hit.

On the other hand, it seems to me that when they say "Crown Princess Victoria´s vacation in Kenya was interrupted because of this catastrophe." they make it seem like the catrosophe was a hardship upon Victoria because it cut her R&R time with her friends short, and that having to cut the long-ago planned trip was a great imposition to her.

I admit that something might be lost in the translation between how things are written or phrased here in North America versus how things are written or phrased in Sweden, but it seems like the journalist is getting a slight snub in at Victoria.

While I am glad to see her back in Sweden alongside her family, it does still feel a bit (okay, a lot) like "a little too late."
Old 01-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I am not sure what kind of publication Expressen is, and whether it is a very credible source known for its good journalism or not
*cough* *cough* *cough* The words "journalism" and "credible" in the same sentence as the name of Expressen - that's just not right...
Old 01-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Heir Apparent

The King, Queen and Crown Princess visited Astrid Lingren’s Children’s Hospital today.

Here are some more pictures from the late night ceremony for the returning coffins (picture 1-6 is from Svenska Dagbladet taken by Scanpix, the last on is from the Defence):
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SvD1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	75740   Click image for larger version

Name:	SvD2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	75741   Click image for larger version

Name:	SvD3.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	75742   Click image for larger version

Name:	SvD4.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	75743  

Name:	SvD5.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	75744   Click image for larger version

Name:	SvD6.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	75745   Click image for larger version

Name:	avlastning.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	75746  
Old 01-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Royal Highness

My sympathies to Princess Madeleine ... hope it wasn't one of her friends that she lost who went by one final time "clothed" in the swedish flag.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Courtier

There was a short report about that at about 6pm about that on ARD German TV. I think this report will be sent again in a redo of this program!
It will be repeated tomorrow on ARD at 10.03 tomorrow
Old 01-05-2005, 06:57 PM
Aristocracy

Maybe a pointless question, but shouldn't CP Victoria be next to the Queen and before her brother, or would protocol not be a factor in this type of situation?
Old 01-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
As, are the parents of that Swedish lad who has apparently been kidnapped in Thailand.
thats has been proved incorrect information and I think that man has been "dropped" from the case. The boys is probably missing just like the other 1000 swedes.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Serene Highness

Oh, thank goodness. I was heartsick over that report.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well its still not good news,he is missing afterall:(
Old 01-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Majesty

Yes, that´s true. It´s only happy in one way. But still a sad tale.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Courtier

but his grandfather said he woul prefer him beeing kidnapped. As this would mean he is still alive!
Old 01-06-2005, 08:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer2002de
but his grandfather said he woul prefer him beeing kidnapped. As this would mean he is still alive!
yes thats one side....ofcourse its a positive thing that he might still be alive. but I wouldn´t want my son to be kidnapped and perhaps beeing "sold" in Thailand... thats just awful
Old 01-06-2005, 01:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie
yes thats one side....ofcourse its a positive thing that he might still be alive. but I wouldn´t want my son to be kidnapped and perhaps beeing "sold" in Thailand... thats just awful
But i think thats a sign that he is in a really desperate mood and really unhappy.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Heir Apparent

On Saturday, all dioceses in the Church of Sweden will hold national grieving services in their cathedrals at 18:00 (6 pm). This is unique; the church has never hosted national grieving services at the same time all around the nation. The Royal Court has announced that the Royal Family intends to attend them around the country:

- The King and Princess Madeleine will attend it in the Cathedral of Uppsala
- The Queen will attend it in the Lund Cathedral
- The Crown Princess will attend it in the Skara Cathedral
- Prince Carl Philip will attend it in the Karlstad Cathedral

As everyday life starts for many people in Sweden this coming Monday 10 January (children starts pre-school, school and adults return to work) – a National Gathering for Reflection and Fellowship will be held in the City Hall of Stockholm. According to a press release, the Royal Family will attend – as will representatives from the Parliament, political parties and foreign representatives.

The ceremony will start at 11:00 AM, and last for about 45 minutes. Singing, music, poems and speeches by H.M. The King, the Prime Minister and the Archbishop is included in the programme. It will be live broadcasted on SVT, TV4 and Swedish Radio – and it is thought to provide an opportunity for people around the country at schools and work places to gather around it for a moment of reflection.