The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2005, 02:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

I do not know a lot about this royal family but had the impression that she has a sterling reputation uptill now.

mere speculation on my part:
she is not allowed to marry her boyfriend.
she is allowed but he does not want to.
she is considering giving it all up and becoming a commoner.

anything short of an enormous personal crisis, it is too strange to think that she is crying in a corner about the victems and does not think about the sorrows of others first and foremost and supporting them by her visible presence

Old 01-02-2005, 07:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

I missed the royal family on TV yesterday, both on SVT and Tv 4....
Does anyone have a link to or a saved clip of the interviews?

Old 01-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecka
Aside from news reports, I think, most Americans don't hear much on the events in Southeast Asia and aren't thinking of it much. Therefore, I think Victoria isn't really acting outside the norm or in deriliction of her duties in remaining silent, but is rather acting as many other Westerners in response to hearing of the tragedy- some sorrow, yet a measure of ambivalence.
I live in Ontario, Canada and I cannot pick up a newspaper or turn on the TV and not hear about this tragedy. And by comparison to the four or five thousand Sweden is missing, Canada is missing about 150 people, with 5 confirmed dead (as of Saturday's Globe and Mail). All-news channels have this tragedy covered wall to wall and even during other shows, the news breaks between commercials lead off with stories about this tragedy.

If the coverage of this tragedy is so vast for a nation that is missing "only" 150 people I cannot imagine what the coverage in Sweden must be for a nation that has been so severely hard hit by this tragedy with the number of tourists in the area at the time. And purely by that fact, I cannot imagine that there would be any ambivalence by anyone in Sweden at this time. But even here in Canada, from everyone I've talked to, there has been no ambivalence about this tragedy for which the magnitude and the devastation is clearly understood.

I read on the Scandinavian Royals MB that Sweden is a relatively small nation population wise, of roughly nine million. And to be missing 4,500 people is like for larger sized nations to be missing 110,000 people. I don't know how accurate those numbers are but in the least those 4,500 Swedes are someone's son, daughter, mother, father, sister, brother, friend, colleague, and for those people the loss must be devastating.

For the future Queen of Sweden to be ambivalent at this time is unacceptable and severely lacking in understanding of what and how this tragedy has impacted the people of her nation.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Serene Highness

Grecka - I want to respond to your statement only because I am involved with people who are not only discussing, but are actively helping to get food to the Tsunami victims. It is unfortunate, but not surprising, that our "President" hasn't gotten more deeply involved sooner, but I don't want his lax actions to reflect the people of our country who care and are hard at work trying to help. I, also, am surprised that Victoria is not more actively involved and I hope her reason is sound.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere
I don't think it's fair to call her selfish without all of the facts. There could be a reason (plane delay, deciding her future with Daniel) for her absence at the fundraiser. Victoria appears caring, very sincere during the two times I watched her and other people. The actions of her father is the best example for one who's still learning how to one day be a good ruler.
In a post by Lena above, with excerpts from an Expressen-article, the Royal Court has stated that Victoria is on a "personal trip abroad." So no plane delay. And as for deciding her future with Daniel, I think that could be put on hold for a few days, or even a few hours here and there while Victoria makes apperances alongside her parents and siblings to show her support for her fellow citizens. Quite frankly, if deciding her future with Daniel can't wait a few hours here and there or a few days, then they don't have much of a future.

The fact that Victoria has always appeared to be a caring and considerate individual is why I'm extra disappointed by her lack of appearance durinig this crises. She has never been an individual who was publicly aloof or distant, but someone who strived hard to do a good job for her country and who tried to connect with the individuals she came into contact with. But now, at a time when her country is so devstated she can't show her face and is instead on a "personal trip" abroad is truly disappointing and a major let down. It makes me think that when she is Queen and other crises arise Victoria will not be an effective leader, or at least be able to recognize when leaders are needed.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Aristocracy

I agree that CP Victoria's absence and lack of public show of support doesn't look well; however, we do not know the exact circumstances of her absence, nor do we know of her exact whereabouts. Up until last week, many people had a lot of good things to say about Victoria - i.e., she is a thoughtful, caring, sincere person,who understood her roles and responsibilities. I would like to think her heart is going out to all of those affected by the tsunami. It's easy to jump to conclusions, but perhaps we should give her the benefit of the doubt until we know all the details first.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere
I think that just like him, Victoria, will show her leadership skills when she emerges. There could be a reason (plane delay, deciding her future with Daniel) for her absence at the fundraiser.
There's been 1 week now since the catastrophe took place, and Sweden has been in shock and mourning for almost as long - ever since it emerged how serious it was. When do you mean she should appear? The King should've demanded her home the day after it happened, basta!

Just as the Royal Court and people on this forum has said, Victoria is on a personal trip abroad – and there are absolutely no excuses for her being so at this time of national mourning in Sweden. A plane delay, are you serious? So you mean there have been a constant plane delays for all flights out of where she is for one week (private and public aviation)? That’s impossible. She should’ve taken the first regular flight home, or then chartered a plane or the Government could’ve sent one of theirs.

And as for deciding her future with Daniel – do you seriously mean that this has to be done abroad during Sweden’s worst catastrophe in modern history for 24 hours a day? Victoria and Daniel has all the time in the world to decide this, it doesn’t have to be done 24 hours a day during these tragic and sad times.

This is a time when we want to see our Head of State/the King and the Royal Family out showing support, sympathy and grief for and with the people. I’m very grateful for the wonderful things our King and Queen are doing at this time, and it was also very nice to see two of the royal children make and appearance and show their emotions to the very emotional Swedes now.

It’s rock bottom rotten of Crown Princess Victoria, the future Head of State for Sweden to be abroad a times like these.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
There's been 1 week now since the catastrophe took place, and Sweden has been in shock and mourning for almost as long -

It’s rock bottom rotten of Crown Princess Victoria, the future Head of State for Sweden to be abroad a times like these.
I can't but help think of the analogy of the bad press issue that Carl Gustav had with his comments about Brunei.

Both of these issues I am inclined to believe include the deft handling of their advisors

Given the involvement of some politico's of wanting to have a republic ... where does that leave public sentiment ?
Old 01-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Royal Highness

It truly is a shame that the Crown princess has not made an appearance. There has to be more to the story than just being abroad. I would hate to think that she is being so irresponsible with her duties. Has the Swedish press made comments of her absence?
Old 01-02-2005, 03:44 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
" The article further tells, that Madeleine started to cry, when she left the TV-studio."

So sad. A good opinion of her from me continues to grow. As for Victoria, Her reputation has indeed been sterling. I am saddened to read all of your comments. But also I am saddened by the fact that I agree with most of the comments made these last couple of days.

"The fact that Victoria has always appeared to be a caring and considerate individual is why I'm extra disappointed by her lack of appearance durinig this crises. She has never been an individual who was publicly aloof or distant, but someone who strived hard to do a good job for her country and who tried to connect with the individuals she came into contact with."

Well said and unfortunately, all of the actions or inactions of the last couple of days seem to be uncharacteristic.

"It is unfortunate, but not surprising, that our "President" hasn't gotten more deeply involved sooner, but I don't want his lax actions to reflect the people of our country who care and are hard at work trying to help."

Well said, Emily. I hear stories of Sri Lanka of communities working together in harmony to clear up the debris and to provide help for others long before the governments and aid agencies reached the villages. I´m sure this was true in other countries as well.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Courtier

anyway when he realized that 35 mio US$ is not very much he was clever enough to increas it to 350 Mio US$. And he sent his brother there to gather some infos for him. And as governor of Florida his brother has some sort of knowledge in that things. Su one must say George was clever enough to change his opinion quickly enough when he realized that he made some mistake!
Old 01-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am, like most of you, appalled and frankly, a little disgusted by Victoria’s “lack” of public appearances/support following this tragedy. Nothing is that important that she can’t come home and support her people. I am hoping that there is more to this than the public is being told.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer2002de
anyway when he realized that 35 mio US$ is not very much he was clever enough to increas it to 350 Mio US$. And he sent his brother there to gather some infos for him. And as governor of Florida his brother has some sort of knowledge in that things.
Yes, all of which seems to be true to a degree. And as far as these things go, Secretary Powell and Gov Bush would be two of the best people to send. Well, I´m sure some Fema(Federal Emergency Management Agency) people are already there to provide assistance. So many countries are providing assistance. I think we should leave it at that. Let´s just talk about the Swedish Royals and their reactions to the tragedy in Asia and Africa.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Nobility

I agree it is very sad Victoria has not made an appearance at all. Also, I don´t quite believe the personal trip story...I hope there is nothing wrong with her...? I mean, she doesn´t seem to be the kind of person who would hide for a WEEK....
Old 01-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I live in Ontario, Canada and I cannot pick up a newspaper or turn on the TV and not hear about this tragedy. And by comparison to the four or five thousand Sweden is missing, Canada is missing about 150 people, with 5 confirmed dead (as of Saturday's Globe and Mail). All-news channels have this tragedy covered wall to wall and even during other shows, the news breaks between commercials lead off with stories about this tragedy.

If the coverage of this tragedy is so vast for a nation that is missing "only" 150 people I cannot imagine what the coverage in Sweden must be for a nation that has been so severely hard hit by this tragedy with the number of tourists in the area at the time. And purely by that fact, I cannot imagine that there would be any ambivalence by anyone in Sweden at this time. But even here in Canada, from everyone I've talked to, there has been no ambivalence about this tragedy for which the magnitude and the devastation is clearly understood.

I read on the Scandinavian Royals MB that Sweden is a relatively small nation population wise, of roughly nine million. And to be missing 4,500 people is like for larger sized nations to be missing 110,000 people. I don't know how accurate those numbers are but in the least those 4,500 Swedes are someone's son, daughter, mother, father, sister, brother, friend, colleague, and for those people the loss must be devastating.

For the future Queen of Sweden to be ambivalent at this time is unacceptable and severely lacking in understanding of what and how this tragedy has impacted the people of her nation.
you're right. I think what's going on in Canada really puts things into perspective. When the disaster took place last week, many of Canada's ministers were on vacation. As you probably know, the foreign and defence ministers were recalled from their vacations within a day or two. Everyone was criticizing the Prime Minister for not returning from his private vacation in Morocco. He has only returned now, after almost a week.
If the Canadian people feel that their leaders should be in the country and not away vacationing abroad, I cant imagine how the Swedish people feel about CP Victoria's absence.

some pics......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1108
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	74502   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	74503   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1171
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	74504  
Old 01-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
some pics......
Thank you for the caps, Humera...how have you made them?
Old 01-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Majesty

For those of you in the US and Canada, the BBC news airing this evening(or even at 1:30 AM as it is here)on various PBS stations will have a report which shows the SRF for a few seconds. The audience is even showing clapping at them. It´s a good report on the reactions of Scandinavians to this tragedy. But anyway, check it out.

Go to this page

http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=24193&a=286274

Click on Förbön i Storykyrkan under Dec 30

and you get to see the intercession from a few days ago
Old 01-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
Thank you for the caps, Humera...how have you made them?
You're welcome:)
Well I have this great software which lets me watch TV on my computer. If I like something I'm watching, all i have to do is press F12 and voila! screen caps!
Old 01-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Majesty

O, yes. Awesome. Those things are cool. Good to see you making good usage of that. The Queen looked so sad I must say. I watched the Intercession too. It´s quite beautiful and sad and solemn.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicomtesse
Hmm...I wonder why some people still keep defending Victoria???
Why can't people be objective about her and realize that even though you may like her a lot she has very definitely misstepped with this tsumani situation.
Clearly not the super wonderful princess everyone thought she was.
She is a rather selfish person continuing to holiday rather than be a leader like she should.
But is there really a point in constantly bashing Victoria and the others? It's not going to do any good, or make her suddenly show in Sweden. While her not being present is a diappointment (to say the least), I see no point in continuely posting how horrible it/she is for not being present.

I would also like to point out that my earlier comment about her possibly knowing someone was simply an observation of a possibility and not necissarily a defense for Victoria.