The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Another report from the live fundraising evening on SVT.

The King and Queen were just on again a little while ago. They had a sit-down with one of the programme hosts. The King’s comment/statement was great once again - I think tonight he’s made the two best spontaneous comments/statements I’ve ever heard him make.

He said that he has gotten excellent briefings on the situation, and has talked to the Ambassador of Sweden to Thailand, who was the first one to arrive in Phuket. The King talked about children in this, and especially those who have lost their parents. He stressed the importance of the surroundings telling these children as much as possible about their parents, going though it together with them and let them have a process – and doing this when they’re ready for it. He and the Queen were very touched by two boys they met at their visit to the crisis- and family centre at Arlanda Airport, who had lost their parents.

The King also got very personal when he was asked about his own experiences with loss of near and dear ones, and how one can handle it. He said that he was so young when he lost his father, that he grew up not even knowing really that he had one. When he played with his friends, he just heard them saying “father/dad” to their fathers, but didn’t really understand the meaning of him not having one then. In those day he said, it was taboo to speak about it. He was not told how or why his father died, and it was just shut out and not mentioned – he didn’t get to know anything about his father when he was young – and so it made it very special to process when he was older. (as we all know, the King was the last one, together with his sisters, to be brought up in the old fashioned and extremely strict Royal Court that used to be in the old days)

The Queen said that World Childhood Organisation has been working with an organisation helping children in Thailand (Phuket) for a year now, and that on Tuesday they will see if they can help them to help down there at this time (I guess a meeting between the organisations or something).

Old 01-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicomtesse
Hmm...I wonder why some people still keep defending Victoria???
Why can't people be objective about her and realize that even though you may like her a lot she has very definitely misstepped with this tsumani situation.
Clearly not the super wonderful princess everyone thought she was.
She is a rather selfish person continuing to holiday rather than be a leader like she should.
I agree with you. It´s probably just, that we/they aren´t used to such a behaviour of Victoria. That´s why she´s defended. And so far we really don´t know 100% surely, why she´s still abroad.
But high likely it´s really a selfish reason.
Princess Madeleine´s comment doesn´t let me assume, the Royal family has lost close friends:
"Man har bekanta, alla känner ju någon eller vet någon, sa prinsessan Madeleine."
"One/we have acquaintances (who are missing) , all know someone, who knows someone"

Of course to know acquaintances, who are high likely dead is sad. The whole situation is sad. And I guess we all, who have seen the pictures and who have heard the terrible facts feel a sad, nightmarish, helpless feeling. But that´s not compareable to the feelings of those, who have lost a close long-time friend.

Old 01-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Good to see that the WCF is involved in Phuket. I knew they were working in Thailand but I had forgotten that it was in Phuket. It´s good to see the King open up. Yes, the circumstances of his childhood make this all the more poignant for him.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
Another report from the live fundraising evening on SVT.

The King and Queen were just on again a little while ago. They had a sit-down with one of the programme hosts. The King’s comment/statement was great once again - I think tonight he’s made the two best spontaneous comments/statements I’ve ever heard him make.

He said that he has gotten excellent briefings on the situation, and has talked to the Ambassador of Sweden to Thailand, who was the first one to arrive in Phuket. The King talked about children in this, and especially those who have lost their parents. He stressed the importance of the surroundings telling these children as much as possible about their parents, going though it together with them and let them have a process – and doing this when they’re ready for it. He and the Queen were very touched by two boys they met at their visit to the crisis- and family centre at Arlanda Airport, who had lost their parents.

The King also got very personal when he was asked about his own experiences with loss of near and dear ones, and how one can handle it. He said that he was so young when he lost his father, that he grew up not even knowing really that he had one. When he played with his friends, he just heard them saying “father/dad” to their fathers, but didn’t really understand the meaning of him not having one then. In those day he said, it was taboo to speak about it. He was not told how or why his father died, and it was just shut out and not mentioned – he didn’t get to know anything about his father when he was young – and so it made it very special to process when he was older. (as we all know, the King was the last one, together with his sisters, to be brought up in the old fashioned and extremely strict Royal Court that used to be in the old days)

The Queen said that World Childhood Organisation has been working with an organisation helping children in Thailand (Phuket) for a year now, and that on Tuesday they will see if they can help them to help down there at this time (I guess a meeting between the organisations or something).
Thank you, GrandDuchess! I´m so impressed of the king these days! It´s so wonderfully, that he shared his personal experiences on losing a parent with the swedish people in this difficult situation! Hurrah to the king!
Old 01-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Majesty

I second that emotion. Bravo to the King!
Old 01-01-2005, 05:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

I absolutely understand the uproar regarding CP Victoria's absence.

So the WHOLE Swedish Royal Family attended the fundraiser, they all even made their personal feelings known, informed the public about their charities & how they are going to help etc., but the Crown Princess is 'abroad'..... 'Never heard of airplanes?' indeed.

I'm glad that Prince Carl Philip & Princess Madeleine attended regardless of their older sister being absent. I believe it must have been Victora's own choice, unfortunately. The King & Queen had been 'abroad' themselves - on Christmas holiday - when the catastrophe occured, only to rush back home immediately and swing into action effectively. Even if the Crown Princess was on the other side of the planet, she could have made it back home by now. A very grave error of judgement - on her part, I fear.

In addition, the Swedish Court doesn't seem to make any excuses for her. Taking into account that the other Royal children participated in today's TV charity program, I'm beginning to wonder if there might even have been a fall-out over this issue between the Royal parents and the heiress to the throne.

All of CP Victoria's talk about her role being so difficult starts to sound shallow when she doesn't live up to the opportunity to do good works when she easily can, thanks to her 'difficult' role, in a moment of need.

In any case, IMO the damage to CP Victoria's image has been done. Disturbing. Disappointing. Sad.

Old 01-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
Princess Madeleine didn’t say much, she agreed with her brother and said it’s important to give financial support (they all did - as it's a fundraising evening).

PS. Prince Carl Philip really impressed me. It sounded like he had “taken” Victoria’s place in her absence tonight and spoke very wisely in a calm and mature way. DS.
I've never thought of Madeline as being very deep so I'm not surprised that much of her comments simply echoed her brother's comments or that she could come up with something different and original to say. But at least she made an appearance. You can at least give the girl credit for that.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

King Carl Gustaf is seated with his family in a studio of the public Swedish Broadcaster SVT, during a program to collect money for the victims of Tsunami. The program collected more than 100 million Swedish Crowns (1,470,000 USD)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2215314.jpg
Views:	1224
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	74026  
Old 01-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris

I'm glad that Prince Carl Philip & Princess Madeleine attended regardless of their older sister being absent. I believe it must have been Victora's own choice, unfortunately. The King & Queen had been 'abroad' themselves - on Christmas holiday - when the catastrophe occured, only to rush back home immediately and swing into action effectively. Even if the Crown Princess was on the other side of the planet, she could have made it back home by now. A very grave error of judgement - on her part, I fear.

In addition, the Swedish Court doesn't seem to make any excuses for her. Taking into account that the other Royal children participated in today's TV charity program, I'm beginning to wonder if there might even have been a fall-out over this issue between the Royal parents and the heiress to the throne.

All of CP Victoria's talk about her role being so difficult starts to sound shallow when she doesn't live up to the opportunity to do good works when she easily can, thanks to her 'difficult' role, in a moment of need.

In any case, IMO the damage to CP Victoria's image has been done. Disturbing. Disappointing. Sad.

I'm glad the royal court isn't making excuses for their precious Victoria and that even they recognize the severe error in judgement she has made in not appearing alongside her parents and siblings this past week. Nobody should be making excuses for Victoria at this point. She has made a serious mistake (what happened to that advisor and mentor of hers?) in judging the severity of this situation and the need for her presence. (Did anyone ask Carl Phillip or Madeline where they have been all week until the fund raiser?)

If Victoria couldn't have been there immediately after she heard the news, but had shown up mid week, say by Tuesday or Wednesday, then at least the royal court could've made excuses for saying that she was travelling or delayed in hearing the news. But now it is a week later and not a hint of Victoria.

This situation has done much to damage Victoria's image. That her siblings have finally made an appearance has only done further damage. Had her siblings remained in seculstion as well it would not have reflected so starkly on Victoria.

This whole situation reminds me of the days following Diana's death when the Queen would not publicly acknowledged the death or the public's grief over the death of the Princess of Wales. Until there was fervent demand for a comment from the queen including commentaries in various British newspapers did the Queen make an apperance on television. I wonder why the media in Sweden has not questioned Victoria's absence so fervently yet? It seems peculiar to me that nobody would question the absence of the Crown Princess yet or simply accept that she was still "abroad" at such a crucial time in her country's life.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Majesty

where they at TV4 also
Old 01-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris

With that you made IMO a very good point, Boris.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks Lena - for understanding the point I tried to make.
I'm not inclined to think that being born into a Royal Family is a bed of roses; it certainly comes with a lot of baggage too and therefore it can surely be 'difficult'.
CP Victoria certainly suffered from it & nobody should ever hold it against her, BUT...
...watching the unity of the Swedish Royal Family tonight (via Satellite on my part, and delayed), all of them dressed in black and each of them supportive of the King who suddenly & unexpectedly became quite emotional, I found this to be the most honest & touching display of support for people suffering out there which I have seen in a long time in any Royal Family...
And it would have been perfect IF ONLY ---- if only the Crown Princess would have been there.
I can't help but remind everybody of the King's Christmas speech which was designed to strengthen support for the Crown Princess. He went out of his way to sing her praises. Very touching, too. And now THIS.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Court reports that after attending the two direct broadcasted fundraising evenings on tv tonight (SVT & TV4-Kanal5-&-TV3), the King and Queen visited Astrid Lindgren's childrens hospital and a ward there were children who have returned from the catastrophe in South East Asia are being treated and taken care of.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Nobility

I think the royal family and Sweden are doing a fine job of mourning the tragedy in South Asia. I hate to say it, but here in America it's as though no one cares. Today at New Year's dinner, my family did not speak a word about the tsunami and President Bush, though fortright in his assertions of aide, has not mentioned it much. Aside from news reports, I think, most Americans don't hear much on the events in Southeast Asia and aren't thinking of it much. Therefore, I think Victoria isn't really acting outside the norm or in deriliction of her duties in remaining silent, but is rather acting as many other Westerners in response to hearing of the tragedy- some sorrow, yet a measure of ambivalence.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Gentry

I agree that this situation reflects really poorly on the Crown Princess and that it may take sometime for her to overcome the negative effects of it. However, I think that until we know the real reason for her absence it is unfair to crucify her. A lot of different things could have happened, and I don't think it's fair to judge her too harshly until all the details are known. If it comes to be known that she was missing for some illegitimate reason, like on vacation or something, then she's on her own to face the Swedish people. Hopefully we'll hear something soon, and our worst fears of a selfish Victoria will be proved wrong.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle
Hopefully we'll hear something soon, and our worst fears of a selfish Victoria will be proved wrong.
Yes, let´s hope so.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:53 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecka
most Americans don't hear much on the events
why do you think this is so ?
Old 01-02-2005, 12:55 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecka
I hate to say it, but here in America it's as though no one cares. Today at New Year's dinner, my family did not speak a word about the tsunami and President Bush, though fortright in his assertions of aide, has not mentioned it much. Aside from news reports, I think, most Americans don't hear much on the events in Southeast Asia and aren't thinking of it much.
My own experience thus far has been that the tsunami disaster & subsequent relief effort have been the dominant topics in my state. Apart from the continuous coverage provided by the media, international aid organizations headquartered in my state have received an enormous outpouring of assistance from individuals, local organizations and churches. Aid collection centers have been established. Prayer vigils & moments of silence have been held. I can only conclude that my own community, and indeed my entire state, cares greatly about the terrible events in Southeast Asia and will try to do as much as possible.

I am troubled by CP Victoria's absence. I hope that her absence is not due to a medical issue or some other equally urgent reason.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:05 AM
Nobility

I also agree that this situation reflects poorly on CP Victoria. However, I believe, she is mourning right along side her countrymen. In America, our president (Bush) is facing criticisms for his initial reactions to the tsunami disaster. I think that just like him, Victoria, will show her leadership skills when she emerges. I don't think it's fair to call her selfish without all of the facts. There could be a reason (plane delay, deciding her future with Daniel) for her absence at the fundraiser. Victoria appears caring, very sincere during the two times I watched her and other people. The actions of her father is the best example for one who's still learning how to one day be a good ruler.

These photos of Hannes Bergstroem with his father brought tears to my eyes.
1. 18-month-old Hannes Bergstroem has been reunited with his father Marko Karkkainen.
2. Two-year-old Swedish boy Hannes Bergstroem, right, is reunited with his father Marko Karkkainen, in a Phuket hospital, Thailand, Wednesday, Dec. 29, 2004 in this image made from television. Hannes was found alone in the wasteland of a tsunami-hit resort island in Khao Lak, southern Thailand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hannes.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	74073   Click image for larger version

Name:	hannes2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	74074  
Old 01-02-2005, 01:30 AM
Aristocracy

I'm pleased that Carl Phillip and Madeleine made their presence known with their parents. It's nice to see them pulling their weight and showing compassion during this tragedy. It's a bloody shame that Victoria has chosen not to do the same for the time being. She's the Crown Princess and should have done better. It's disappointing and is not good form at all. But the King, Queen, Carl Phillip, and Madeleine have done some good.