The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-30-2004, 08:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I will make a drastic statement now - if Victoria cannot show support, sympathy and lead the national mourning at a time like this - she is not fit to be Queen and Head of State."
Time for a president?
Quote:
"If the press would discover that the royal children are on holiday at a time like this, the media will be outraged and the people disappointed - and for Victoria it would be a big blow."
This would be a super image damage I think. Even ETW could not help than. and esp not her sucsessor. If they are on holiday somewhere in Sweden - so it would be managable to go to Stockholm and back afterwards again- you could request that I think. It would be something different if they are on holidays somewhere from where they cannot get back easily. But then you should state that.

Old 12-30-2004, 09:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer2002de
If they are on holiday somewhere in Sweden - so it would be managable to go to Stockholm and back afterwards again- you could request that I think. It would be something different if they are on holidays somewhere from where they cannot get back easily. But then you should state that.
Short of them being on holiday anywhere in the vicinity of where this tragedy is taking place, they could easily be back in Sweden by now. It has been nearly a week so they could be back in Sweden through any commercial flight. And seeing as they are royal, I don't doubt that strings could be pulled to fly any or all three of the children and their partners back to Sweden on a private or even exclusive flight at a time when their citizens need them most.

We are talking about more than 117,000 deceased people of this world -- and Victoria, Carl Phillip and Madeleine can't pull themselves away from Daniel, Emma and Jonas and their lounge pants and ski chalets long enough to express their sadness and grief?

Old 12-30-2004, 09:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
We are talking about more than 117,000 deceased people of this world -- and Victoria, Carl Phillip and Madeleine can't pull themselves away from Daniel, Emma and Jonas and their lounge pants and ski chalets long enough to express their sadness and grief?
Well you are right and as they could take them along to Stockholm. It would not be the worst at all. As a lot of others can not anymore. You won! It does not put them into a good light!
Old 12-30-2004, 09:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer2002de
You won! It does not put them into a good light!
It's not a matter of "winning" or "losing" here; it's not about putting your debating skills out for show.

It's a matter of showing some respect for those who have lost their lives or for those who are grieving for family members and friends, and for the 117,000+ people who have lost their lives in this unfathomable tragedy.

That Victoria, Carl Phillip and Madeleine haven't made any sort of statement or public appearance since this tragedy, when the Swedish people are so affected outside of those native to the area, is truly a bad reflection upon them, mostly upon Victoria who is to be Queen one day.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I havent tought about that... but you´re right! They should have been with their parents at the church today... or atleast made some kind of public apperance! Perhaps they will in the next couple of days!

But on the other hand, lets not forget that they are young people. It´s difficult for me to picture myself in this situation (as I´m the same age as Madeleine... ofcourse she´s use to the spotlight but you know what I mean..)
I dont think I could have managed to meet all these people and knowing what to say and do.
Lets not forget that Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine are just like the rest of us and not some super humans that knows what to do at all times...
Old 12-30-2004, 09:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie
But on the other hand, lets not forget that they are young people. It´s difficult for me to picture myself in this situation (as I´m the same age as Madeleine... ofcourse she´s use to the spotlight but you know what I mean..)
I dont think I could have managed to meet all these people and knowing what to say and do.
Lets not forget that Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine are just like the rest of us and not some super humans that knows what to do at all times...
I don't think they are too young to understand what should and needs to be done in this case. They have parents who obviously feel quite strongly about what is going on and have made numerous public gestures and appearances, as well as advisors (for Victoria especially) who should guide them on what to do in such matters. And even without their parents and royal advisors to guide them, I would hope that in the least their hearts should guide them and compel them to extend their support and sympathy.

In such matters there is often nothing "right" or "appropriate" that can be said. Nothing anyone says right now can undo this tragedy and bring back loved ones. Often being there is enough. I can't imagine anything the Spanish royals could've said to their fellow citizens at the time that would've made the terrorist attacks on March 11 less of a tragedy; but the fact that the King and Queen, Felipe, Letizia and the Infantas and their husbands were out and grieving and hugging their fellow citizens provided some measure of relief, just as the presence of the King and Queen of Sweden is providing some measure of relief at this time to their fellow Swedish citizens.

I am roughly Carl Phillip's age, and at this age within my circle of childhood friends we have lost five parents since the age of 17, and earlier this fall one of my friends suffered a tremendous loss when her pregnant sister-in-law and 7 of her nieces and nephews were killed in a farmhouse fire. Nothing I could've said to any of my friends as they lost their mothers and fathers, sister and nieces and nephews would've been good enough; certainly nothing I said would've brought them back. But my friends will tell you, just as I would tell you that when my mom was fighting cancer, their presence at the hospital, at the church, at the funeral was enough to sustain me and each of us through difficult times.

Age has nothing to do with this. Age for Victoria, Carl Phillip and Madeline least of all. It is about feeling with your heart and having empathy and sympathy for others.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:59 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Yes, indeed. The advisors(and their parents) should be telling them what needs to be done. Just being there is indeed all that matters. The King and the Queen have gone the extra mile. Well, the Queen hasn´t said anything in public but that doesn´t matter. Just being in public and helping the country mourn matters.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:55 AM
Heir Apparent

I saw pics of The King and The Queen attended the Service for Victims died in Asia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51903065.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	73380   Click image for larger version

Name:	51902997.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	73381  
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 12-31-2004, 04:17 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree completely with Alexandria. I´m sure they were reached of the tragic news (can´t imagine a place in our modern times, where you don´t get such news). Though I understand Yennie and though I also would be a little bit "afraid" of the situation (esp. at the airport) I don´t see this as an excuse. They could have at least attended the mass at the church! This is nothing new for them. When Anna Lindh died, Victoria was at the church, and around the tragedy in September 2001 all 3 Royal children were at the church.
Because there are now 3 events (church, airport and this TV show) which are only attended of the Royal couple, I really assume the Royal children are still on holiday.
I´ve thought of any reason, which could be an excuse. And the only thing that comes to my mind is, that they are missing friends etc. in south asia too. Then I could understand that they wouldn´t want to be in the spotlight right now. But I guess this isn´t the case, otherwise we would have heard.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:08 AM
Majesty

could victoria, madeleine and carl philip be effecyed have friends that has been in thiland and has not gotten home yet
Old 12-31-2004, 07:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

That could be true... With so many swedes missing its not impossible that they know someone who´s in Asia :/

Yes you´re right, Lena. They should have gone to the church, or atleast send a messege or something like that! Ofcourse...
but I still think that its unfair to "make them" meet the people and things like that. Imo its a situation to hard to handle for a young person or perhaps anyone who isnt a professional
Old 12-31-2004, 07:33 AM
Majesty

acording to aftonbladet the royal family will donate money how much is not public
Old 12-31-2004, 08:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie
Yes you´re right, Lena. They should have gone to the church, or atleast send a messege or something like that! Ofcourse... but I still think that its unfair to "make them" meet the people and things like that. Imo its a situation to hard to handle for a young person or perhaps anyone who isnt a professional
The royal children are all adults, and I have also thought that they know what their role of being a member of the Royal Family – the family of our Head of State’s family – includes. It gives them many benefits and perks, but with their position also comes a great deal of responsibility and an important official public role.

Since all of the royal children have given the impression of accepting their roles and titles by taking on some official duties and attending important ceremonies of state – it also encompasses a role to be leaders and symbols for the country and its people at all times, especially the hard ones.

At a time of national mourning – it is up to all the official figures of a country to show true leadership. This is the time it emerges if they are truly up for the task they hold. And most especially – a time of national mourning is a time for the Head of State and his family to lead the country in its mourning, and to show support and sympathy and grieve with the thousands of people affected by this terrible tragedy in Sweden.

In a time like this, after Sweden’s worst tragedy in modern time - no one can change or undo things by words, but what matters most is to be there for each other. The King and Queen’s excellent leadership at this time, I’m sure brings some kind of relief for the people.

I’m terribly disappointed of all the royal children.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
It's not a matter of "winning" or "losing" here; it's not about putting your debating skills out for show.

That Victoria, Carl Phillip and Madeleine haven't made any sort of statement or public appearance since this tragedy, when the Swedish people are so affected outside of those native to the area, is truly a bad reflection upon them, mostly upon Victoria who is to be Queen one day.
Well you just convinced me that they really should have been present. I just thought if they are not around its not good but still ok!
Old 12-31-2004, 09:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wholeheartly agree, and it is not only in Sweden

In Denmark I see the Queen wil host the yearly Nyttårs kur tomorrow, when Sweden and Norway will have a national day of mourning, a big gala party for all the important people in Denmark, I find it tasteless to dress up in big dresses an tiaras when 100s of Danes are missing and even more people looking and waiting for the loved ones. That means that the first pics we will see of the royals seens the tragedy happened is in gala dresses. I sincerely hope they will cancel the party

And according to rumours Haakon and MM is on Vacation in Brazil. Its a Se og Hør rumour only, but they did not attend the service with the King and Queen so I tend to belive it is true. They should have returned at once, I sincerly hope to not see any pictures of them relaxing on some beach in Brazil when people are walking the beaches in Thailand looking for their loved ones. The heir to the throne should be in Norway when possibly 500 norwegians including 100 children are possible dead, it must be the worst disaster happening to Norwegians since WW2 The King and Queen has acted with grace, dignety and compassion, but Im severly disapinted to not have seen Haakon at all...

Im also very disapointed with Victoria, where is she? She should have returned from where ever she is at once. Some diplomatic frases of compassion will not do it for me this time, actions speak louder than words... (very angry post I know, but Im disapointed by all the scandinavian royals with exception of Silvia, Carl Gustaf, Harald and Sonja)
Old 12-31-2004, 09:34 AM
Heir Apparent

I might be wrong, but I believe I´ve read, that the gala tomorrow in Denmark is cancelled.
But there´s still the problem with the heirs. So Haakon is absent too! I simply don´t understand, why they don´t understand, that they are now needed. There are many people now, who "sacrifice" their well deserved Christmas holidays to help in Sweden/Norway and South asia (psychologists, reverends, doctors, people in the foreign ministries, people in the media, technicans...) but the next monarchs of the terribly affected countries won´t stop their holidays. That´s a shame!
Old 12-31-2004, 09:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes I see now that they have cancelled tha gala, well done, but still the Danish royals has not shown themselves, I know thay will attend church on january 2 but now it has been almost a week. Has Frederik or Margrethe said or done anything ??
Old 12-31-2004, 11:20 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Queen Margrethe will be giving her highly anticipated New Year´s speech in two hours. I´m sure she will bring this up this tragedy.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Thank you GrandDuchess and Dennism for your agreement and support.

I do think that when times are difficult and a country's fellow citizens are experiencing such turmoil and loss, true leaders and leadership emerge. It's not what your actions are when times are peaceful and good but it's what you do when times are difficult that reflect most upon your nature. As it is, I am already quite disappointed in my own government's slowness to commit a significant amount of aid money when other nations, including Norway had committed many millions already.

Throughout this tragedy, I have heard more from King Carl Gustav than I think I have heard from him all year, and how shaken up the King and Queen are by this tragedy is evident through the tears shed and the public grief expressed.

Short of being on their own deathbeds, we should've at least seen Victoria, Carl Phillip and Madeleine by now. They are not five or six year olds for whom a loss and tragedy of such magnitude is incomprehensible. They are adults for whom such tragedy is understandable, and adults for whom much is given, much is expected.
Does the media comment on their absence?

An explanation must be given in the coming days, it is not logical that this tragedy would leave anyone cold, they are probably just as shocked as the most of us.

It is just enormously stupid, not to appear.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:58 PM
Aristocracy

I have to bloody chime in and completely agree with everyone's disappointment with the royal children of Sweden, Denmark, and Norway.

I'm from the UK. I was born and raised in Dublin, Ireland. I go to university in Texas now. I'm not the biggest fan of the monarchy, but I like some members. But it's troubling times like these when I see some very priviledged royal family members who are not pulling their weight or who are not holding up their end of the bargain, when I feel that there is no need for the monarchy. I'm really disappointed that the royal children and the heirs are not pulling their weight or giving back to their nations during this enormous tragedy.

I really thought Victoria would have at least gone to the church with her parents. All she had to do is show up, say a few prayers, and make her presence known to the Swedish public. Victoria is going to be the queen of Sweden. So she should have made her presence felt through being there for the Swedish people. Or she could have sent her condolences to all of the Swedes and people worldwide who have been affected by the tsunami tragedy. It would have been very easy to do these things. The royals are very rich, priviledged, and get loads of perks for their high positions. It is true that much is expected from people who have so much in their lives.

All of the royal children from Sweden, Denmark, and Norway should be grieving with their nations and offering comfort. But especially the heirs to the thrones Victoria, Haakon, Fredrick, etc. No one will think they can lead if they shirk their responsibilities and not show leadership and compassion when their nations need them. I have to say I'm more disappointed in Victoria because I felt she was more sensible, current, and compassionate than the rest. So to see her not making her presence felt in this great time of need worldwide is very unsettling. I can only hope they all come to their senses and make their presence felt on this issue next year.