The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Nobility

How many are still missing? What a horibale thing that has happend.

Old 01-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Swedish King Carl Gustaf Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine attend a memorial sermon for the Tsunami victims in Uppsala Cathedral. The heavy storms in Southern Sweden cancelled Silvia´s trip to Lund.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SRF1.jpeg
Views:	266
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	77177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Srf2.jpeg
Views:	891
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	77178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Srf3.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	77179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Srf4.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	77180  

Name:	Srf5.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	77181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Srf6.jpeg
Views:	286
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	77182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Srf7.jpeg
Views:	460
ID:	77183   Click image for larger version

Name:	srf8.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	77184  

Name:	Srf9.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	77185   Click image for larger version

Name:	srf10.jpeg
Views:	354
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	77186  

Old 01-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for posting the pictures Dennism, they are very nice. The Queen’s airplane couldn’t land at Sturup Airport when she was going to Lund’s Cathedral, because of the hurricane level storms, so she had to turn around and go back to Stockholm – and then went from there to Uppsala Cathedral. The Archbishop held a wonderful worship/devotion called “the God of all solace” during the service.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Majesty

thank you for the photos

first i thought madeleines throne look a bit grander as it was a high back but then i saw it was much thinner then the king and queens

any photos of victoria and carl philip
Old 01-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Gentry

Why is Madeleine sitting at the chair next to the king in some of the pictures, and in the rest of the pictures, Silvia is sitting next to Carl Gustaf, and Madeleine is sitting next to Silvia? I really can't understand...Can anyone explain?
Old 01-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Majesty

She arrived a little late because of the problems in Lund.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Nobility

Swedish Princess Victoria attends a memorial ceremony for the Tsunami victims in Uppsala Cathedral, Sweden on January 8, 2005. (Pictured: Princess Victoria) Photo by Niklas Larsson/Pressens Bild/ABACA </SPAN>
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cpv.jpg
Views:	2259
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	77352  
Old 01-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Majesty

Thanks for posting a photo of the Crown Princess. She was in Skara though. Photo agencies should know these things!

Perhaps for many but the Royal Court did announce this earlier in the week. Anyway, Skara is a town in Västergötland. It has a cathedral which has some parts which date to the 11th century. Very Gothic cathedral. Most of it dates from the 13th century. It is the oldest diocese in Sweden. The city itself was founded in the 10th century which makes it one of the oldest in Sweden.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Courtier

Is it just me or has the Swedish media not been more outspoken about Victoria's behaviour during this entire situation? She makes her first appearance after 8 days of absence bows her head and cries a bit and everything is swept under the rug? She goes back to being the perfect little princess and back high on that pedestal she has been placed.

It would bequeath Victoria and her future role a lot if she could at least understand her error in this situation so that we don't experience a repeat.

Shame on the Swedish media for completely ignoring Victoria's mistake and her very apparent lack of consideration in this matter.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Courtier

yeah! Was is a lil bit strange. But maybe she just had the luck, that the press was not in the mood for stories about her or had some better things to write of...
Old 01-09-2005, 07:38 PM

From the church in Uppsala 7th of January in honour of the tsunami victims.

One more from the tvshow.

Some more...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	madeleine med familj.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	77593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Madeleine..jpg
Views:	334
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	77594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Madeleine.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	77595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Madde.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	77596  

Name:	madde och c-p.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	77597   Click image for larger version

Name:	madde och c-p..jpg
Views:	169
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	77598  
Old 01-10-2005, 03:36 AM
Nobility

Pictures from the church.Sorry if theyve been posted before
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	77681   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	77682   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	404
ID:	77683   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	77684  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	77685  
Old 01-10-2005, 04:55 AM
Majesty

there is a memory cermony now on swedish TV that the royal family attends
Old 01-10-2005, 06:10 AM
Heir Apparent

The National Gathering for Reflection and Fellowship - the Programme:

Nacka Music Classes. Conductor Johan Holgersson. Trumpet Ivar Hedén Turesson. "A child". Text and music: Thad Jones.

Reading: Melinda Kinnaman. Poem "Nu föds ett barn" ('Now a Baby is Born'). Text: Barbro Lindgren.

Benny Andersson's Orchestra. "Tröstevisa" ('Comfort Melody'). Music: Benny Andersson.

Speech by HM King Carl XVI Gustaf.

Ale Möller with Shipra Nandy and Maria Stellas. "Dao bidaai / Livadhia". Text and music: trad. India and Greece, arr. Ale Möller.

Song: Rikard Wolff and accordion: Niklas Sundén. "Min Gud" ('My god'). Text and music: Michel Vaucaire/Charles Dumont.

Song: Louise Hoffsten with Benny Andersson's Orchestra. "Have a little faith in me". Text and music: John Hiatt.

Speech by Archbishop KG Hammar.

Ale Möller with song from Louise Hoffsten and Maria Stellas. "Varför skola männskor strida/Xanalego" ('Why do people fight', traditional Salvation Army song, combined with a Greek song). Text: V Dahlquist Musik: H Danks / Trad. Greece.

Reading: Melinda Kinnaman. Text: "Sorg" ('Grief') Text: Bodil Malmsten.

Song: Robyn and piano: Björn Yttling. "En dejlig rosa". Text and music: trad. Sweden.

Speech by Prime Minister Göran Persson.

Nacka Music Classes. Conductor: Johan Holgersson. "Bogoroditse Devo from Vesper". Music: Sergei Rachmaninoff.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Earlier today, a National Gathering for Reflection and Fellowship was in the City Hall in Stockholm. King Carl XVI Gustaf, Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria, Princess Madeleine, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Lilian topped the guest list as the Prime Minister and whole Government, the Speaker of the Parliament, the Archbishop, representatives from the Diplomatic Corps and a total of about 1 150 guests gathered. This was not a mourning ceremony, which has been very emphasized by the Government - this was a ceremony for reflection and fellowship, supposed to provide a start when things go back to normal today. These pics are from Svenska Dagbladet:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	123424677.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	77761   Click image for larger version

Name:	1235357.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	77762   Click image for larger version

Name:	124247487.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	77763   Click image for larger version

Name:	1242786.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	77764  

Name:	34246737.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	77765   Click image for larger version

Name:	ceremoni_339.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	77766   Click image for larger version

Name:	kungen_494.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	77767  
Old 01-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Pictures from today from Fotomarktplatz:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tsu1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	77852   Click image for larger version

Name:	tsu2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	77853   Click image for larger version

Name:	tsu3.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	77854   Click image for larger version

Name:	tsu4.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	77855  

Old 01-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Heir Apparent

More pictures from the National Gathering for Reflection and Fellowship today in the City Hall in Stockholm:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	050110webb.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	77856   Click image for larger version

Name:	1224637.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	77857   Click image for larger version

Name:	124246457.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	77858   Click image for larger version

Name:	12424648.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	77859  

Name:	14346757.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	77860   Click image for larger version

Name:	2424657.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	77861   Click image for larger version

Name:	2425738.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	77862   Click image for larger version

Name:	244647121.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	77863  

Name:	35347468.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	77864   Click image for larger version

Name:	7aa7c531.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	77865  
Old 01-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Heir Apparent

More pictures from the National Gathering for Reflection and Fellowship today in the City Hall in Stockholm:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kungen298.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	77866   Click image for larger version

Name:	nyceremoni425.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	77867   Click image for larger version

Name:	persson463.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	77868  
Old 01-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Majesty

BBC

King Carl Gustaf of Sweden has led a national ceremony in Stockholm to remember the Swedish victims of the Indian Ocean tsunami. Sweden has suffered the greatest number of deaths per capita of any country outside the earthquake region. Fifty two Swedes have been confirmed dead in the disaster, with more than 600 still missing. The authorities have no information about another 1,000 people, who could have been in the affected region.

In a statement broadcast live on state-run television and radio, the king told survivors and relatives of those killed that he wished he could put everything right again like a fairytale king. But, he added, he was just another mourner.

"We are all just humans without clear answers," he said. "What can I say that could be helpful? It feels as though there are no more words or that they have never existed."

The survivors and relatives were joined by members of the government and royal family at the ceremony in Stockholm. Across the country people watched it on television. The BBC's Lars Bevanger says that Swedish children returning to school after the Christmas and New Year holidays, will find a number of empty desks. In some schools, teachers will be missing. Most schools do not know who are still unaccounted for, because the authorities have decided not to publish the names of those missing.

In other Nordic countries the number of missing people dramatically decreased when such lists were made public, as it became clear some of those listed had in fact returned safely home.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Article from the local:

Carl Gustaf: "Nobody dares to take responsibility"

On Monday King Carl Gustaf led a memorial service for the victims of the tsunami catastrophe in Asia with what Svenska Dagbladet called "a strong, personal speech". But earlier in the day another newspaper, Dagens Nyheter, carried a full-length interview with the king, in which he appeared to criticise the government's reaction to the disaster.

Representatives of the government and parliament, the palace and a host of other organisations gathered in Stockholm's Town Hall heard the king implore the young survivors of the tsunami to turn to Sweden's adults for help.

"We adults will listen to you, you who are children and young, to your stories of what you experienced and feel. Show us your drawings, your tears, sorrow and anger. We adults are here to protect and to help you."

Referring to the "many children who have lost one or both parents", the king reminded the audience in the town hall, as well as those watching live on television or listening on the radio, that he also grew up without a father.

"I believe I know what that is like. I myself have been such a child. My father died in a flying accident when I was very small. So I know what it means to grow up without a dad."

Svenska Dagbladet's Karin Thunberg was at the ceremony,

"I was most impressed with the king," she reported. "He came across as a very attentive and sympathetic person."

In the most moving passage of the speech, the king asked how "parents, siblings, relatives, teachers and leaders will manage to handle the loss".

"I wish I had a good answer. Imagine if I, like the king in the fairytales, could make everything all right and end the story with "and they all lived happily ever after". But I, like you, am just a grieving, seeking person."

Archbishop KG Hammar also spoke at the ceremony and told the audience that "our understanding of reality becomes more truthful if we take death into account".

"Sorrow shows the meaning of love," he added.

The last to speak was prime minister Göran Persson.

"Pain is all around us, in our country and throughout the world. But also consideration is growing and spreading between people and generations and across continents," he said.

"Thank you to everyone who has contributed, here at home and abroad. Thank you to all fellow human being, adults and children, for being there when you are needed most."

While both the king and the prime minister spoke of mutual support, the morning's papers brought signs of a rift between the palace and the government over the handling of the catastrophe.

"King criticises foreign office and Laila Freivalds" ran Expressen's headline.

Revealing that he had waited over 36 hours to be briefed on the tragedy unfolding in Asia, King Carl Gustaf said, "In certain circumstances it is better to act than to do nothing at all."

The source of the king's quotes was an in-depth interview in Monday's Dagens Nyheter, in which he described how his only source of information on Boxing Day had been news reports.

"We were at my sister's, Princess Christina, on the Boxing Day, as we are every year. And we all stood there in front of the TV and watched" he told the paper.

"Then we tried to get information from the foreign office... and after a lot of hassle we managed to get hold of cabinet secretary Lars Danielsson on the evening of the 27th."

The king also compared the Swedish reaction to the crisis with that of the Italians.

"We are northerners and Scandinavians. Italians are latin and react in a different way. And it is often rightly said in Sweden that we react slowly but when we do we are extremely effective and organised and go about it calmly and methodically."

But on this occasion the king hinted that in his view the Swedish approach was not necessarily the best one.

"It's better to ring the ambulance and then send it back if it's not needed. But here in Sweden it's often the case that nobody dares to take responsibility," he told DN. "People are afraid to get things going."

"I think it is important that people dare to take responsibility. Then you'll certainly be hung out to dry but it's better than passively standing by."