Swedish Royal Family, Current Events Part 5: February 2008 - December 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that people are expecting Daniel to become as high profile as his Norwegian and Danish counterparts after the marriage. That is something that will simply not happen. His health plays a role in this but the major reason, I believe, is that Daniel does not want to end up being just a "husband" and wants to have a life outside of his royal duties.

According to Daniel Nyhlen's blog on Swedish magazine SDT's website, the Swedish Court has a new, highly questionable press policy which denies photographers access to most public engagements of members of the Bernadotte family.
Link:
http://danielnyhlenskungligablogg.svenskdam.se/

Recent engagements of Princess Madeleine (for the charity 'My Great Day', of which she is patron), of Crown Princess Victoria (meeting the members of the team for the Paralympics, for example) as well as part of the King and Queen's schedule fell by the wayside - because they fell under the new 'No photo op' rule, which is given out weekly in the version of the royal calendar that the media representatives receive from the Palace.

IMO this is inexplicable - in fact, it's totally absurd:
A royal family insists on representing their people invisibly, and denies their people a view of how they are being represented.
Since the people also happen to pay for being represented, the tax payer is additionally not getting his money's value from the Royals.

In his artcle, Nyhlen uses uncommonly sharp language, asking why 'a North Korean mentality' suddenly seems to have overcome this royal family.

You could also say that a charity (which depends on publicity for donations) is sabotaged when its royal patron, in this case Madeleine, refuses to give it any publicity; and that a cause like handicapped people in sports (which can use the attention brought to it) is neglected if the Royal involved, in this case Victoria, meets the athletes but insists on shutting out the media.

I can't imagine a single good reason for this move, which seems to have been made as of January this year.

(A year which, by the way, was not only intended to be a big Bernadotte year due to the two royal weddings, but also because of the 200 year jubilee of the Bernadotte dynasty - which so far is not being celebrated at all. Dealing with the media in this fashion will not help the matter.)

Has there been any announcement from the swedish royal family press in regards to this change in policy.
I know i couldn't find any photos for Madelines recent engagements. It's a bit harsh granted if true.
Can the source be trusted?

Can the source be trusted?
In this case, absolutely - because the article is based on the actual royal schedule in the version as handed out each week to the media representatives.
You can see the original pictured under the link, with the 'No photo opportunity' notice added to almost every public engagement.
This new policy already took effect in January, when requests along the lines of 'Where are the pics?' first started to add up in this forum as well.
IMO it's not only harsh, it's essentially counter-productive regarding the very purpose of a representative monarchy and regarding its popularity, and thus completely non-sensical, really.

Now they have removed the "no photo opportunity" from the calendar ... Which is all well and good. Just as Boris says it is of course the royal family's task to represent Sweden and no photo opportunities are of course just like in secret ... and that's not good for anyone ... least of all those who wanted someone from the royal family would attend a special occasion to get some extra oomph and flashing lights on their particular organization or its important work ...
I hope that the fact that "no photo opportunity" is now missing from the calendar means that we can continue to see what they do for everyday - those who will represent us and that we actually pay for them to do it (the tax). ..

I hope that the fact that "no photo opportunity" is now missing from the calendar means that we can continue to see what they do for everyday - those who will represent us and that we actually pay for them to do it (the tax). ..
When you say that the 'No photo opportunity' notice was removed, are you referring to the calendar on the official royal website or the schedule which is handed out to media representatives?
The notice was never put up on the website for the public to see, but only added to the schedule for the media...

When you say that the 'No photo opportunity' notice was removed, are you referring to the calendar on the official royal website or the schedule which is handed out to media representatives?
The notice was never put up on the website for the public to see, but only added to the schedule for the media...

Ok sorry. I was looking in the calender not the press room... But Im sure I saw it on the official website because I thought it was strange with "no photo opportunity" and then some days later you wrote the post abowe and Daniel Nyhlen wrote about it on his blog... so I must have seen It at the official website because Im no press person :) In the swedish version of the page there is a "pressrum" where you can find "Veckoprogram för media" and this week its no "no phpto"... but the only thing written there is "Vancouver" :D

Thank you for the clarification!
So we'd have to check the 'Pressrum' section to see whether this nonsensical policy continues in the future...
(As they can hardly list "Olympics, Vancouver: No photo opportunity!" :D)

Thankfully, the Swedish media already ignores the 'warning':
The recent post office appointment of CP Victoria and Daniel Westling was labeled "No photo op...", but photographers turned up regardless and took pics from the outside - inevitably in bad quality.
I have no idea whatsoever why it would have been so hard for Victoria & fiancé to pause at the entrance and pose for nicer pics for thirty seconds. It's called "give the public what the public's due."

Thank you for the clarification!
So we'd have to check the 'Pressrum' section to see whether this nonsensical policy continues in the future...
(As they can hardly list "Olympics, Vancouver: No photo opportunity!" :D)

Thankfully, the Swedish media already ignores the 'warning':
The recent post office appointment of CP Victoria and Daniel Westling was labeled "No photo op...", but photographers turned up regardless and took pics from the outside - inevitably in bad quality.
I have no idea whatsoever why it would have been so hard for Victoria & fiancé to pause at the entrance and pose for nicer pics for thirty seconds. It's called "give the public what the public's due."

I agree. Who do the Swedish Courts think they are? The taxpayers pay for the royal families' lifestyle, so I think the least they can get in return is some pics of them at public events. If they can't get decent pics of the royals even at public events, why bother even having a monarchy?

Prince Carl Philip and King Carl XVI Gustaf amongst the audience when the Royal Palace Sprint takes place in Stockholm March 17, 2010.
ANP Beeldbank
Kungen och prins Carl Philip på skidtävling vid slottet | Svensk Damtidning

King Carl Gustaf shakes hands with Russia's Nikita Kriukov, winner of the men's cross-country sprint final during the World Cup in Stockholm March 17, 2010. Norway's Petter Northug, who placed second, and Sweden's Emil Jonsson, who placed third, stand on either side of Kriukov.
Daylife
The King with Anna Olsson, who won women´s cross-country sprint
Aftonbladet

Great photos of the King at the cross-country sprint:
Kungens på gladaste humöret bland idrottarna vid Slottet | Daniel Nyhléns kungliga blogg | Svensk Damtidning

Today the King, Victoria and Daniel met the swedish minister for trade Ewa Björling. Here are information about the meeting. Victoria and Daniel are mentioned as "kronprinsessparet". Is it normal that they are called like this before they are married??

Silvia❦CarlGustaf;1066138 said:
Today the King, Victoria and Daniel met the swedish minister for trade Ewa Björling. Here are information about the meeting. Victoria and Daniel are mentioned as "kronprinsessparet". Is it normal that they are called like this before they are married??

In previous statements from the Court Her Royal Highness and Mr. Westling are described as "kronprinsessparet". Personally I'm not too fond of the term and hope that they will, at least officially, be called something else after the wedding.

What would kronprinsessparet translate as? I'm going to make a random guess and say something along the lines of crown princess couple?

What would kronprinsessparet translate as? I'm going to make a random guess and say something along the lines of crown princess couple?

Exactly! In my opinion it isn't a bad title for them. All the other couples in Europe are called crown prince couple. So it is normal that Victoria and Daniel are called crown princess couple.
I think that should be the last post for this topic. It doesn't belong to the original topic of this thread.

I don't see the problem either, its accurate term.

Silvia❦CarlGustaf;1066402 said:
Exactly! In my opinion it isn't a bad title for them. All the other couples in Europe are called crown prince couple. So it is normal that Victoria and Daniel are called crown princess couple.
I think that should be the last post for this topic. It doesn't belong to the original topic of this thread.

But why not refer to them as the Crown Princely Couple. For Queen Elizabeth II. and the Duke of Edinburgh and Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik the respecitve Courts also don't use the Queens Couple.

They belong to an older generation, both queens are only queens because they have no brothers.
I for one hold this generation to a higher standard then that. But I've never heard 'kings couple' for QEII, I don't know danish so I'm not familiar with what is used. A more neutral one would be reigning couple and crown couple would be idea (for English at least), but it may not work so easily in other languages where words imply gender. Is that the case with swedish, that words have a feminine and a masculine form?

Kronprins / kronprinsessparet are perfectly accurate words in Swedish. Just translate it into a term that is perfectly accurate in another language just as one would translate any other word.

Victoria must have met with the Swedish Ambassador right after or before the meeting at the Nordic Museum.

Meeting with Swedish Ambassador was yesterday morning.
The years-celebration friends of Skansen and Nordic Museum was yesterday 5pm.

Victoria must have met with the Swedish Ambassador right after or before the meeting at the Nordic Museum.

Queen Silvia and Crown Princess Victoria have been in Germany
yesterday, Sunday, May 16. They attended the confirmation of
a girl Victoria is godmother of, but I don't know who exactly the
girl is. The ceremony has taken place at the Marienforster church
in Bad Godesberg, an urban district of the city Bonn.

So far there's only one pic of Silvia leaving the church, not sure
whether more will be available as it's been a very private event.

---> Pic

An article of the local German paper:

** Schwedens Königin Silvia besucht Konfirmationsfeier in Bad Godesberg **

Thanks for the information!

Vivien Sommerlath was confirmation - daughter of Queen Silvia brother Jörg.
Crown princess Victoria is godmother of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom