The Stockholm Terror Attack - Reactions of the Swedish Royal Family: April 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found Victoria's response at the site incredibly moving. Yes, she had to wipe away tears, but even as she cried she stood tall and resolute, and her voice was quite determined as she spoke to reporters about who Swedes are and how they will face their difficulties together. She embodied that sense of finding a fierce sort of strength even in the midst of the pain that comes from mourning.

On the note of Madeleine not attending, just wondering if maybe the Royal Family, or at least their security, were glad she didn't attend so at least one member of the RF was not in Stockholm just in case.

Personally in cases like this I don't think not being there means she doesn't care. Its quite short notice to drop everything and leave two little ones to travel to Sweden, equally its school holidays here in the UK for a lot of schools and I wonder if perhaps the family are already overseas somewhere on holiday making even more difficult logistically to return.

I didn't want to bring the issue of Madeleine's absence as to me it was a bit inappropriate to talk about that in such tragic circumstances. But since the matter has been talked, I'm goona say my opinion, which may sounds harsh. I think her absence is unjustifiable. As a princess of Sweden, who already carries out very few public engagements for the royal house, she ought to be there, for her country. I don't undertstand at all the way she chooses the events.

Very poignant and respectful scenes at the memorial,but I'd except nothing less from the warm hearted Swedes.

Last edited:
Aftonbladet's royal expert Jenny Alexandersson has a web podcast in cooperation with Svensk Damtidning. In addition to Jenny there is Aftonbladet's Maria Bjaring as a moderator and a couple of Svensk Damtidning's royal reporters, on Tuesday Liv Sander and Margareta Gotthardsson.
They spoke about the royal family's acting after the terror attack. A video of the podcast at Jenny Alexandersson's blog. She tells that they talked a lot about the Crown Princess's comments at the attack site on Saturday. Alexandersson says that Victoria was very spontaneous, her words came from her heart and she was very moved. She can really find words even in a day like this. And her answer with only one word "Together" is so strong
Liv Sander says that she would say that this is the crown princess's equivalent of the king Tsunami speech. She managed to put into words what many felt in that moment. This will be counted as one of her most important statements ever, it is something you will return to after 10, 20, 30 years. Margareta Gotthardsson says that Victoria has really been praised in both Sweden and even abroad, and at the social media can be seen that Victoria's words have meant a lot to the people. Maria Bjaring says that Victoria was very moved but also very composed, and that she was the regent while the king was abroad.
Alexandersson says that Victoria has been the regent many times before but never at such a terrible event. It can not have been easy, but she thinks that the Crown Princess acted like a queen. She shouldered the responsibility with courage and humility. She is not afraid to show emotions and at the same time she is confident and clear about who she is and what she should say.
Sander says that it isn't surprising at all that the king broke off his trip. He is the Head of State, it is his role at a time like this to show that the community and democracy are strong. He has been a unifying force previously, at Tsunami. Gotthardsson says that by immediately returning home to Sweden and giving a speech right after landing, the king showed that he takes this extremely seriously.
Alexandersson says that it becomes so clear what the royal family stands for when you listen to the king's words. Both he and Victoria talked about community. It has become the royal family's motto in what happened.
They speak also about the Memorial event on Monday, where the royal family except Madeleine attended. Gotthardsson says that their readers have reacted to that Madeleine wasn't there, but Madeleine honored the victims in her way. Alexandersson says that the statement in Facebook looks nice, it would have been great to see her there, but they don't know why she wasn't there and it would have meant something if she would have been there.
At the article are also questions Alexandersson has sent to the court about when a regent is needed and how the king makes his speeches.
Så agerade kungafamiljen vid attentatet i Stockholm _ Hovbloggen
Translation

The king and queen attend on Monday 17th April at 16.00 at the Stockholm Cathedral at a National Candlelight service organized due to the Drottninggatan terror attack.
Extra_ Nationell ljusgudstjänst

The king and queen attended at the Stockholm Cathedral at a National Candlelight service organized due to the Drottninggatan terror attack.
Terrorndådets offer hedras i Storkyrkan _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Kungaparet hedrade terroroffren

Gallery
TT Nyhetsbyrån

Video
http://tv.aftonbladet.se/abtv/articles/214549

A young artist was inspired by Victoria's visit at the attack site, she tells about her feelings after the attack at her Instagram:
..."In the process of dealing with all my emotions I sat down and made this homage image to our beautiful and wise princess."
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSzGrW1h4VN/?taken-by=by_juliahagglund

Last edited:
The paint is beautiful, despite it doesn't look like Victoria, but it conveys what it is supposed to convey: sorrow and love.

In the pics I can't see Queen Silvia.

Last edited:
TT Nyhetsbyrån's reporter Niklas Svahn interviewed queen Silvia in May when the queen presented to the press SilviaBo houses for people with dementia.
Svahn asked queen Silvia also about the terror attack and writes at his blog:
During the interview I asked the Queen about what happened on her part after the terror attack. Just because the king was so hailed for his speech at the Palace, and Crown Princess Victoria was there at the flower sea with Prince Daniel and laid down flowers, I thought it would be interesting to hear how the Queen reacted.
It became a brief statement, but she said this:
"We were in Brazil when it happened, and we are so glad that the Crown Princess could be there then. We thought that was very important. But we were in Brazil, and there were three tickets, and we tried to get home right away."
The Queen made a comparison with how she felt after the 2004 tsunami disaster when she and the King visited one of the affected resorts after the devastation.
"So there were three tickets, it was Easter, and it was clear that the king left first and I could not go until the next day so I couldn't be there when the king kept his fine speech, which I think was very important and that there were many who really assimilated it", said Queen Silvia.
The king received praise from everyone when he said that there are more we who want good than those who want bad. The reaction to the terror attack was strong for Silvia.
"It was such a shock, it was such a terrible situation."
But she wanted to send some warm words to those who helped after the attack.
"It also shows how well the police have acted, and the medical care, everyone was there, everyone took care of each other. It was very nice".
Drottning Silvia om terrordådet _ Niklas Svahn

On Saturday 7th April King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia attend at a memorial church service and crown princess Victoria and prince Daniel attend at a memorial concert, the events are organized on the first anniversary of the terror attack.

Drottninggatan - Memorial Day

Saturday, April 7th the City of Stockholm together with the government pays attention to the anniversary of the terror attack on Drottninggatan with a memorial concert in honor of the victims and their relatives and to remind that Stockholm is and should be an open and democratic city. During the day, a memorial service is held in the Adolf Fredrik church and memorial services for the public will take place in several of the city's churches.

Memorial Concert at Kungsträdgården
The concert takes place on the main stage between approx. 14:15 and 15:00.
The program consists of speeches by Prime Minister Stefan Löfven as well as musical performances by Malena Ernman, Jill Johnson, Lars Winnerbäck, Stephen Simmonds, Menke and Get Up Soul Choir. Hosted by Mark Levengood.

Memorial services
A memorial service is held in the Adolf Fredrik church for invited guests at 12.00. Invited are relatives and particularly affected, people concerned that helped during the day (ambulance, police, emergency, crisis support, etc.) and representatives of official Sweden.
The worship service led by the Reverend Annika Millde. Other participants are Archbishop Antje Jackelén, Bishop Eva Brunne, and Stockholm's interfaith council, Iris. Song performed by Adolf Fredrik Church choirs.
Later in the day memorial services are held to the public in several of the city's churches.

Television Broadcast
Between 11:45 and 15:15 SVT shows memorial program with live broadcast from both the memorial service and memorial concert. Swedish Radio P4 broadcast parts of the church service and concert in its entirety.
Drottninggatan – Minnesdagen - stockholm.se

Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited:
King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia, crown princess Victoria and prince Daniel attend today at the memorial events on the first anniversary of the terror attack.
The king and queen attend at a memorial church service at Adolf Fredrik church at 12.00.
Victoria and Daniel attend at a memorial concert at Kungsträdgården at 14.15.
SVT broadcasts live both from the memorial church service and concert here:
Drottninggatan – Minnesdagen - Avsnitt 1_ Drottninggatan - Minnesdagen _ SVT Play

The king and queen arriving
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010020011T15230957481551969

Galleries
IBL Bildbyrå
Profimedia

Short video
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhQ9NmnlyR7/?taken-at=215941737

Video of the king and queen thanking the people who helped the victims (ambulance staff, police, emergency, crisis support...)
Här tackar Kungen hjältarna från Drottninggatan

http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010010011V15231682091558940
https://images.scribblelive.com/2018/4/7/5a2244a2-e843-4e67-983d-96704aacefd2.jpg

Last edited:
Videos:

The king and queen arrive to the memorial service
Kungaparet anländer till minnesgudstjänst

The king and queen thank the people who helped the victims
Kungaparet hälsar på räddningspersonal

A moved crown princess
En rörd Kronprinsessa

Gallery
Profimedia

Ett år senare_ Gudstjänst med hopp och kärlek _ Kyrkans Tidning

After the concert Victoria and Daniel thanked the people who helped the victims after the attack.

You can watch the memorial service and the concert at this broadcast SVT sent today, for a month:
Drottninggatan – Minnesdagen - Drottninggatan - Minnesdagen _ SVT Play

The memorial service was lovely with many wise words and beautiful music. The concert had good speeches and interviews and nice music. And it ended with the church bells ringing, which was very powerful and touching.

Last edited:
Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel attendance at the remembrance concert.

5 years of the terror attack today, Victoria and Daniel attend at a memorial event with prime minister Magdalena Andersson.
- Five years have passed since the unthinkable happened up here on Drottninggatan, where five lives were extinguished. When we now gather here on Sergels torg, we do it to stop and reflect. We do it to remember those who died, but also to honor you relatives, said Mayor Anna König Jerlmyr in her speech.
A noticeably moved Crown Princess and Prince Daniel were seen walking hand in hand to the memorial site to mourn and show their support, and Victoria had a hard time holding back tears during the ceremony.
Victoria i tårar – fem år efter tragedin _ Svensk Dam

Profimedia gallery
TT Nyhetsbyrån gallery

Stilla ceremoni för offren på Drottninggatan – NSD
Minnesceremoni fem år efter terrordådet på Drottninggatan _ SVT Nyheter
Fem år sedan terrordådet på Drottninggatan - DN.SE
Kronprinsessparet vid minnes_ceremoni på Sergels torg - GALA magasin

Five lanterns, one for each person killed, stood in a row to honor the victims. Flower wreaths were placed next to them.
Among the people present were Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel, who shook hands with relatives who had also gathered to remember. Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson also left a bouquet of flowers and showed her support.
Kronprinsessan och statsministern på minnesstund för terrordådet _ GP

Photos by SPA
Pic 1
Pic 2
Daniel talking to a man, who lost his 11-year-old daughter at the attack.
Pic 3

Crown Princess Victoria Commemorates the 5th Anniversary of Drottninggatan Terrorist Attack — Royal Portraits Gallery

Video from the event, we see Victoria and Daniel arriving at 3.15 and talking to the relatives of the victims. We see them leaving, hand in hand. Their bodyguards, Victoria's aide-de-camp and information officer Ulrika Näsholm were with them.
Hela sändningen från minnesceremonin för Drottninggatan-offren

Prime minister Magdalena Andersson posted this photo from the memorial event to her Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/CcC5JkAILDF/

Photo from the government's website
https://www.regeringen.se/contentas...th=712&mode=crop&heightratio=0.667&quality=85

The City of Stockholm has chosen art and a memorial site for the terrorist attack on Drottninggatan on April 7, 2017. The artwork "Sanctuary", or "Peaceful Place", has been created by the artist Ann-Sofi Sidén and architect Mats Fahlander and will be placed on Sergels torg.
Terrorattentatet 7 april får minnesplats _ SVT Nyheter

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom