The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-08-2017, 06:32 PM
Serene Highness

I think Victoria rose to the occasion to show solidarity with all of Sweden during a terrible event. I know it's usually expected of a head of state, even an acting one, to be stoic in a crisis to convey strength; but in this case I believe her crying just shows her as human and moved by what has happened. It shouldn't reflect on what type of leader Victoria would be when the time comes.

Madeleine went on Facebook to give her condolences. No statement from Carl Philip that I have seen so far.

The SRF is being briefed about the attack. I imagine there were discussions about security for the family given what has happened. As it stands 24 hour protection is for the king, queen, and the Crown Princess family.

The day of mourning is set for Monday, April 10.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think while we can discuss the reasons behind the attack and what should and could be done and who is to blame, I believe Victoria did and said what was expected of her. - She couldn't say anything more or less.
It's Victoria's job (and I say Victoria, because IMO she is to a very large degree and increasingly the one the Swedes look to now, rather than her father) to by a compassionate rallying point - not to voice her political opinion.

Details are now emerging of the victims. One of them was an eleven year old girl on the way home from school. The police identified her by collecting DNA from her family. - I don't think it's necessary to go into details here as to why they chose that option.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Stockholm attack: Crown Princess Victoria in tears at site | Daily Mail Online

Emotional Victoria today visiting the site of the attack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Victoria, the heir apparent to the Swedish throne, wiped away tears as she laid flowers accompanied by her husband Prince Carl Philip.

DM at its worst again
I really hated that exaggeration "Victoria broke down in tears". I was thinking she was sobbing uncontrollably. Instead, she maintained her dignity, even with tears slipping down her face, and managed to give a short statement to the media.

But oh yeah, the DF couldn't get her husband's name right. Lousy story, lousy writing but, as usual, fantastic photos. Victoria and Daniel did Sweden proud.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video from Bunte of Victoria and Daniel visiting the site
Victoria von Schweden_ Tief erschüttert nach dem Anschlag! Sie kann die Tränen nicht zurückhalten _ BUNTE.de

The swedish press speculated yesterday evening, that also the king would visit the site.

Tillsammans = together
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSowDGzB...ken-by=jirkabf

Photo from Instagram of photographer Paul Hansen (who took photos to Victoria's and Daniel's wedding book)
"Crown Princess Victoria and her husband Prince Daniel pay their respect for victims of the Stockholm terror attack. How do we go forward? a reporter ask. Her reply comes instantly and hearfelt.. "Together""
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSqL01Ol...=paul_hansen64
Old 04-09-2017, 07:22 AM
Serene Highness

The media is making Victoria as the rallying point for this terror attack. Kind of unusual.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I really don't see it as using Victoria as a rallying point but rather it enhances and underlines the deep affection that Victoria has for the people of Sweden. When horrific events happen, it is wonderful that just one person can draw the entire community together as a people and as a nation.

More will be overcome by standing together than by living alone in fear.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 04-09-2017, 08:11 AM
Majesty

It seems that the words uttered by Victoria has had a huge impact, as they were even reported by some italian media.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Majesty

such a sad attack yet again.
victoria's reaction was very poignant indeed.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Many swedish experts said yesterday, that when something like this happens, the royals often unite people. The king made that with his Tsunami speech, and now Victoria gave face to the sorrow people felt and with her words reflected the feelings of many Swedes and gave hope: Together we can go on. There are so many moving and lovely posts from the common people in Sweden at social media about Victoria at Drottninggatan yesterday.

But Victoria impressed also many journalists, from Svenska Dagbladet
"A crown princess completely dressed in black - my future queen - goes out to the crime scene the following day and just stands there for a while, in a stationary dignity. It is perhaps also normal here; to be touched by a royal who cannot hold her tears back. But it means that I know inwardly that Sweden and Stockholm will never be as any other place on earth."
Sverige blir aldrig som någon annanstans på jorden _ Jenny Nordberg _ SvD

Kungen_ ”Vi alla som vill hjälpa är många fler” _ Aftonbladet
Kungen hyllar polis och räddningstjänsten efter attacken _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Gallery from Saturday
IBL Bildbyrå
Old 04-09-2017, 01:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

King Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia, crown princess Victoria, prince Daniel, prince Carl Philip and princess Sofia attend on Monday at 12.00 at official ceremony for the victims at the attack 7 April, held at Stadshusparken in Stockholm.
Calendar - Sveriges Kungahus
Old 04-09-2017, 05:58 PM
Nobility

It was poignant to see and listen to her being so emotionally involved and I think she truly did her job and more. The way she went there and behaved was the perfect balance between royal and just human. She is someone to take as example as a leader for sure.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:49 AM
Courtier

Its very sad that Sweden is another country that has been affected by the sensless act of violence.
We live in a fragile world and there are too many conflicts and bad things happening around us. Its pretty hard to watch news these days. Why there are so many people who want to cause harm to others? They do not care that people who get hurt or killed were loved by someone and its devastating for their families. Or that man who attacted in Sweden, he has four children, didn't he wonder how his act will affect his children? How his parents must feel when they learn that their son did something like this to innocent people who happened to just walk and do their everyday activities?
But we have to keep in mind that majority of people are kind and caring, not wanting to cause any harm to others! But we just have to be more careful and be more aware of our surroundings.

The Swedish Royal Family will attend at the official ceremony for the victims today, on 10 April.
Its dissapointing that Princess Madeleine won't bother to travel from London to Sweden and attend the event with the rest of the family!

Attendance at official ceremony for the victims at the attack 7 April
The King, The Queen, The Crown Princess, Prince Daniel, Prince Carl Philip, Princess Sofia
Time: 12.00
Old 04-10-2017, 04:46 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
The media is making Victoria as the rallying point for this terror attack. Kind of unusual.
I think more that the King is the voice of the government and that the SRF are a rallying point for Swedes in a time of trouble. In her father's absence, Victoria had to step up to the plate and do something she has never had to do before, stand for the King in a shocking circumstance. She did it with dignity but she also did it in her own way, with tears and a quiet resolve to answer how they go ahead now. That her answer was an immediate "together", with no wasted words or platitudes, showed all of Sweden what their Crown Princess is made of.

CP Victoria has shown that while we are all equal we are all different and there is no shame in tears. Nor is there any weakness, but rather a compassion for those who lost their lives and those left behind to find a way forward. Their Crown Princess gave them all a glimpse of their future Queen with compassion in her heart and steel in her spine. She did her father and her country proud.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

The event at 12.00 is broadcasted live, starting at 11.30 on SVT Play
https://www.svtplay.se/video/1322006...-30?start=auto

http://www.svenskdam.se/2017/04/har-...edagens-offer/
Photos from Aftonbladet
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/...t-hedra-offren
Expressen
Attentatets offer hedrades med tyst minut _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Old 04-10-2017, 07:51 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-Anne View Post
Its very sad that Sweden is another country that has been affected by the sensless act of violence.
We live in a fragile world and there are too many conflicts and bad things happening around us. Its pretty hard to watch news these days. Why there are so many people who want to cause harm to others? They do not care that people who get hurt or killed were loved by someone and its devastating for their families. Or that man who attacted in Sweden, he has four children, didn't he wonder how his act will affect his children? How his parents must feel when they learn that their son did something like this to innocent people who happened to just walk and do their everyday activities?
But we have to keep in mind that majority of people are kind and caring, not wanting to cause any harm to others! But we just have to be more careful and be more aware of our surroundings.

The Swedish Royal Family will attend at the official ceremony for the victims today, on 10 April.
Its dissapointing that Princess Madeleine won't bother to travel from London to Sweden and attend the event with the rest of the family!

Attendance at official ceremony for the victims at the attack 7 April
The King, The Queen, The Crown Princess, Prince Daniel, Prince Carl Philip, Princess Sofia
Time: 12.00
It is indeed upsetting that hatred can drive humans to kill each other. Such events are causing us to turn on each other and divide us, further spreading resentment and anger in this world. The real question is: When will all this senseless killings stop?

On the topic of Madeleine not attending, I am not a fan of Madeleine so I don't think I'm in a position to critique her fairly. Maybe Leonore is attending school, and she doesn't want to leave her behind?
Old 04-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Programme of the event
English programme_ The City of Stockholm’s Official ceremony on... - Stockholms stad

Big gallery by Robin Utrecht
STOCKHOLM HERDENKING - Images _ Robin Utrecht _ Photoshelter

Victoria & Daniel von Schweden_ In dieser schweren Zeit ist er ihre größte Stütze _ BUNTE.de
Old 04-10-2017, 04:42 PM
Majesty

another video of today's ceremony
https://www.msn.com/sv-se/noje/watch...ril/vp-BBzEny6

Madeleine posted on facebook that she would be holding a minute of silence
https://www.facebook.com/PrincessMadeleineOfSweden/
Old 04-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Courtier

I found Victoria's response at the site incredibly moving. Yes, she had to wipe away tears, but even as she cried she stood tall and resolute, and her voice was quite determined as she spoke to reporters about who Swedes are and how they will face their difficulties together. She embodied that sense of finding a fierce sort of strength even in the midst of the pain that comes from mourning.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

On the note of Madeleine not attending, just wondering if maybe the Royal Family, or at least their security, were glad she didn't attend so at least one member of the RF was not in Stockholm just in case.

Personally in cases like this I don't think not being there means she doesn't care. Its quite short notice to drop everything and leave two little ones to travel to Sweden, equally its school holidays here in the UK for a lot of schools and I wonder if perhaps the family are already overseas somewhere on holiday making even more difficult logistically to return.