The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Wonderful photos; Camilla with children is always adorable. The warm relationship between the royals is always pleasant to see. It's great to see Victoria out in public, too.
Is this 'warm relationship among royals' the reason that HRH Prince of Wales and the Duchess ar in Scandinavia? I had thought that the British Royal Family were on tour in the Commonwealth with a view to the Diamond Jubilee celebrations so was very confused when Scandinavia was put on the itinerary. What do board members think?

Old 03-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Prince Charles and Camilla are due to visit Commonwealth countries as well, including Australia.
Official visits to Sweden, Norway and Denmark were to mark the close historical and family ties between the royal houses.

Prince Charles makes 1st official visit to Sweden
Quote:
Queen Silvia, said she was glad to finally play host to Charles and his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall. "It's very nice since Prince Charles during my time, unfortunately, hasn't had the possibility to visit earlier," the Swedish tabloid Aftonbladet quoted the queen as saying ahead of his arrival. "But we have a very close contact with the British royal family and so we're very happy about their visit."

Old 03-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Big photos from yesterday:
http://www.bekia.es/images/galeria/1...ipe-suecia.jpg
http://www.bekia.es/images/galeria/1...sto-suecia.jpg
Old 03-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I totally LOVE the second picture!
Old 03-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

From today, Madeleine in one photo with a very big smile
Victorias första officiella framträdande efter födseln | SvD

A gallery with a lot of photos
http://kuvakauppa.lehtikuva.fi/edori...baf120a&menu=0
Old 03-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Commoner

Prince Charles and Camilla had lunch today at the royal palace in Stockholm. Both Victoria and Madeleine were there, nice!

Kungligheter: Både Victoria och Madeleine deltog vid lunch på slottet med Charles och Camilla
Old 03-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
From today, Madeleine in one photo with a very big smile
Victorias första officiella framträdande efter födseln | SvD

A gallery with a lot of photos
Vickan on jo karistanut vauvakilot | Lehtikuva | lehtikuva.fi

Beautiful

About Lunch and King's speech

http://www.kungahuset.se/kungafamilj...800023699.html ***** translation
Old 03-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Serene Highness

In a way prince Charles and Camilla are visiting his family. Prince Charles is related to the Scandinavian royal families but which is he closer to?
Old 03-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Serene Highness

It is sooo wonderful seeing CP Victoria again, motherhood suites her as she simply looks STUNNING!!!! Dress and shoes in Spring Green, she is the Queen of the lunch
Bye Bine
Old 03-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Part of King's speech
"Over the years we have had several occasions to meet with Your Royal Highnesses and the Royal Family. Each time we have been warmly received, and, perhaps needless to say, we have many dear memories from our stays. The most recent one was when Queen Silvia visited You at Highgrove on a very spontaneous stopover at the end of last year. I know that You then talked about coming here today."
here is the close ties
Old 03-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
In a way prince Charles and Camilla are visiting his family. Prince Charles is related to the Scandinavian royal families but which is he closer to?
To King Harald of Norway...he and Prince Charles' are first cousins twice removed.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Serene Highness

There are no close blood ties between Charles and Carl Gustav, but Charles' paternal grandmother, princess Alice, was the sister of Carl Gustav's step-grandmother, queen Louise, sisters to the earl of Mountbatten who was a close friend of Charles.

The connection between the Swedish and British royal families are through crown princess Margaretha who was a granddaughter of queen Victoria and through princess Sibylla, a great-granddaughter of Victoria.

Queen Victoria -> prince Arthur -> crown princess Margaretha -> prince Gustav Adolf -> king Carl Gustav
Queen Victoria -> prince Leopold -> duke Charles Edward -> princess Sibylla -> king Carl Gustav
Old 03-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Prince Charles, accompanied by King Carl Gustav, visited St Erik's Housing Development in Stockholm.
The King and the Prince toured the complex.

Gallery from Daylife.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMil View Post
Part of King's speech
"Over the years we have had several occasions to meet with Your Royal Highnesses and the Royal Family. Each time we have been warmly received, and, perhaps needless to say, we have many dear memories from our stays. The most recent one was when Queen Silvia visited You at Highgrove on a very spontaneous stopover at the end of last year. I know that You then talked about coming here today."
here is the close ties
There are plenty of visits that go on between the British Royal Family and other European royal families behind the scenes. I think the British Royals are a little less 'showy' than perhaps the other royal families when it comes to their relations with their extend royal family. I don't mean that in a negative way but the British Royals don't seem to like publicity and view these meeting as private occasions. It's know for instance that Queen Beatrix was staying at Balmoral the night Diana died. Queen Margrethe is a frequent visitor of Prince Charles at Highgrove. And the King and Queen of Norway are very popular British royal circles in fact I believe that Queen Elizabeth II has a very soft spot for Queen Sonja. There's a picture of Queen Sonja and Queen Elizabeth II during a visit to Windsor Castle and Queen Elizabeth II gives Queen Sonja a big hug...the Queen doesn't hug many people...I'm going to see if I can find it.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMil View Post
Part of King's speech
here is the close ties
I had not realised that the BRF and their Swedish counterparts were close. That said, I think it is a testament to the importance accorded to C&C by the SRF that Victoria took a break from her maternity leave so soon after the birth of Estelle to appear at the lunch. She could well have just waited till the private dinner in the evening.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
There are no blood ties between Charles and Carl Gustav, but Charles' paternal grandmother, princess Alice, was the sister of Carl Gustav's step-grandmother, queen Louise, sisters to the earl of Mountbatten who was a close friend of Charles.
Wait, but Carl Gustav's actual grandmother was also a descendant of Queen Victoria. They are related, just not as closely as the Norwegian monarchy.

On another note, I'm hoping that TRH brought a fabulous present for Princess Estelle! Since they seem to relish the role of grandparents, I believe they'll have at least visited the baby privately.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
The British Royal Family is related to most European Royal Families through Queen Victoria and Christian IX of Denmark. Te closest relation by blood is to the Norwegian Royal Family.

Queen Elizabeth and King Harald are second cousins. Their most recent common ancestor is Edward VII.
Edward VII - Princess Maud - Olav V - King Harald
Edward VII - George V - George VI - Elizabeth II

Queen Elizabeth and King Carl Gustav are third cousins, their most common recent ancestor being Queen Victoria.
Queen Victoria - Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn - Princess Margaret of Connaught - Prince Gustaf Adolf, Duke of Vasterbotten - Carl XVI Gustav
Queen Victoria - Edward VII - George V - George VI - Elizabeth II

Queen Margrethe of Denmark and Queen Elizabeth are also third cousins, their most common recent ancestor being Queen Victoria.
Queen Victoria - Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn - Princess Margaret of Connaught - Princess Ingrid of Sweden - Margrethe II
Queen Victoria - Edward VII - George V - George VI - Elizabeth II

- Queen Elizabeth and King Juan Carlos of Spain are third cousins.
- Queen Elizabeth and King Albert of Belgians are third cousins.
- Queen Elizabeth and Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg are fourth cousins.
- Queen Elizabeth and Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands are fifth cousins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
There are no blood ties between Charles and Carl Gustav, but Charles' paternal grandmother, princess Alice, was the sister of Carl Gustav's step-grandmother, queen Louise, sisters to the earl of Mountbatten who was a close friend of Charles.
Prince Charles and King Carl Gustav are very much related by blood; they are third cousins once removed.
King Carl Gustav is Queen Victoria's great-great-grandson, whereas Prince Charles is her great-great-great grandson.
They have similar blood relation through King Christian of Denmark
Old 03-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Video of arrival at Pumpan preschool

Besök på förskolan Pumpan / A visit to Pumpan Preschool on Vimeo

how wonderful for little girl ,Queen Silvia draw a heart on hers plaster cast
Old 03-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

I had a strange impression during their 2 Visits, they are the British Crown Princes without being sure they will be King Charles and Queen Camilla. What do you think ?
Old 03-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I'm not sure I understand you.
Prince Charles will become King unless he predeceases his mother.
Camilla will become Queen (consort) as soon as Prince Charles is King.
Since the necessary condition for Charles' accession to the throne is his mother's death, I'm quite certain he is content to remain a crown prince for years to come.

Interestingly though, Charles and Camilla were greeted with full honours that normally would be reserved for the Monarch only; I can totally see King Charles and Queen Camilla in making, so to say.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, king carl xvi gustav, official visit, prince carl philip, prince of wales, queen silvia