The Nobel Prize 2013 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a few years ago they gave the Peace Prize to Barack Obama who had just been elected president! They gave this award for the work that had been done? In recent years but especially this year the issue of refugees concern almost all over the world! They had to help financially (because that is the meaning of prizes) organizations assisting who working and saving every day thousands of refugees, of cource without wanting to reduction the work of the current winner of the peace! And of course should not these gentlemen and ladies as properly corrected me to complain after for their choices they do!
But ofcource this is totally my humple opinion!!!

As a few years ago they gave the Peace Prize to Barack Obama who had just been elected president! They gave this award for the work that had been done? In recent years but especially this year the issue of refugees concern almost all over the world! They had to help financially (because that is the meaning of prizes) organizations assisting who working and saving every day thousands of refugees, of cource without wanting to reduction the work of the current winner of the peace! And of course should not these gentlemen and ladies as properly corrected me to complain after for their choices they do!
But ofcource this is totally my humple opinion!!!

Nobel Peace Prize is awarded by a committee of five persons who are chosen by the Norwegian Storting (Parliament of Norway). It is delivered in Oslo and the articles and photos of the ceremony are posted to the norwegian forum.

By the terms of Alfred Nobel's will the Nobel Prize in Literature has been awarded by the Swedish Academy since 1901.
The Swedish Academy at it's website about The Nobel Prize in Literature
The Nobel Prize in Literature _ Swedish Academy
The list of the members of the Swedish Academy (there are women also)
The Academy _ Swedish Academy

Last edited:
Still, no one from the Royal Family is set to attend the Nobel Prize Concert on 8th December in the Concert Hall. The King is attending a dinner in Paris the very same evening, so I don't know if this means Princess Christina will represent the Royal Family.

Still, no one from the Royal Family is set to attend the Nobel Prize Concert on 8th December in the Concert Hall. The King is attending a dinner in Paris the very same evening, so I don't know if this means Princess Christina will represent the Royal Family.

Princess Christina has cancelled her attendance in many events in October and November in connection to her book "Dagar på Drottningholm", so we will see if she attends at the Nobel concert.

From the website of the Swedish Academy (The Nobel Prize in Literature is awarded by the Swedish Academy):
Bob Dylan has decided not to come to Stockholm
Yesterday evening the Swedish Academy received a personal letter from Bob Dylan, in which he explained that due to pre-existing commitments, he is unable to travel to Stockholm in December and therefore will not attend the Nobel Prize Ceremony. He underscored, once again, that he feels very honored indeed, wishing that he could receive the prize in person.
... We look forward to Bob Dylan’s Nobel Lecture, which he must give – it is the only requirement – within six months counting from December 10, 2016.
Bob Dylan has decided not to come to Stockholm _ Swedish Academy

Everything you need to know about the Nobel broadcasts on SVT
Allt du behöver veta om Nobelsändningarna _ SVT.se
Translation

Princess Christina and Tord Magnuson don't attend at Nobel festivities, Tord Magnuson told to Expressen. He said that Christina is feeling rather well but is still having treatments. Sjukdomen stoppar prinsessan Christina från Nobelfesten | Kungligt | Expressen

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Christina and Tord Magnuson don't attend at Nobel festivities, Tord Magnuson told to Expressen. He said that Christina is feeling rather well but is still having treatments. Sjukdomen stoppar prinsessan Christina från Nobelfesten | Kungligt | Expressen

It is very sad to hear that they won't attend the festivities this year. However, I have full respect for the decision and understands it. It will not be the same without Princess Christina and Tord.

... Bob Dylan has decided not to come to Stockholm...
Given that my signature includes a Dylan quote about the price of freedom, I feel compelled to let you know that the media over here is busting on him fairly big time for being a no show. I love his work, but he is flawed and in his case it looks a lot like self indulgence and pettiness IMO. If it minimizes the irritation, just know he would dis just about any recognition ceremony IMO. Phooey on him! :angry:

A shame that Bob won't be able to make it, but if he has previous commitments, then I understand. :flowers:

Even though they are not the main guests, it will be very unusual to not see them there. Has Christina missed Nobel at all since she started to attend ?

Very sad but fully understandably. I know people who are also suffering from chronic blood cancer and get treatments so i've seen that even though you can live with it, the treatments are tough for the body and can make you ill for longer periods.

Then it is likely 2 seats available so it will be interesting to see if any of the kings other sisters or other royals will take them.

I do too!!!

:previous: Absolutely agree. Cohens poetry and lyrics are amazing and cover every aspect of the human condition. And surprisingly, he maintained an admirable sense of humility which endeared him to his fans.

Last edited:
King Carl Gustaf gave on Monday an audience to Executive Director Lars Heidenstam from the Nobel Foundation, Vice Chairman Göran K Hansson from the Board of Directors of the Nobel Foundation, Permanent Secretary Sara Danius from the Swedish Academy and Secretary Thomas Perlmann from the Nobel Committee of Physiology or Medicine.
During the meeting king Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria, prince Daniel and prince Carl Philip got a presentation of the 2016 Nobel Prize Laureates.
Presentation av årets Nobelpristagare - Sveriges Kungahus

From the official Twitter of The Nobel Prize
"Bob Dylan (#NobelPrize in Literature 2016) has provided a speech which will be read at the Nobel banquet in Stockholm December 10."
https://twitter.com/NobelPrize/status/805698801436594177?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

"Patti Smith will perform Bob Dylan’s A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall at the #NobelPrize Award Ceremony 10 December."
https://twitter.com/NobelPrize/status/805698687322169344

The Nobel Prize Award Ceremony in Stockholm
The Nobel Day, December 10, will begin with the traditional Nobel Prize Award Ceremony at the Stockholm Concert Hall. There will be presentation speeches about the year’s prizes before an audience of about 1,570 guests, who will then watch the Laureates as they receive their medals and diplomas one by one from the hand of H.M. the King of Sweden. Mr. Bob Dylan will not have a representative present on stage.
The seats closest to the stage are reserved primarily for the Laureates’ families, representatives of the prize-awarding institutions, members of the Swedish government and Riksdag (Parliament) and the diplomatic corps. Seated on the stage will be nearly 100 people. They are members of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, the Nobel Assembly of Karolinska Institutet and the Swedish Academy, members of the Board of Directors of the Nobel Foundation and previous Laureates.
In front of them will sit the 2016 Laureates and members of Sweden’s Royal Family: H.M. King Carl XVI Gustaf, H.M. Queen Silvia, H.R.H. Crown Princess Victoria and H.R.H. Prince Daniel.
H.R.H. Prince Carl Philip and H.R.H. Princess Sofia as well as H.R.H. Princess Madeleine and Mr. Christopher O’Neill will sit in the first row closest to the stage.

The Nobel Banquet
After the ceremony at the Concert Hall, it will be time for the evening’s Nobel Banquet at the Stockholm City Hall. The banquet programme will follow tradition and begin with the entry procession of the Royal Family and other guests of honour down the grand stairway and into the Blue Hall at 19.00. Prior to this, the guests of honour will have been presented to the Royal Family in the Prince’s Gallery of the City Hall. Behind the Master of Ceremonies will be two female attendants followed by H.M. the King with his dinner companion and H.M. the Queen with Professor Carl-Henrik Heldin, Chairman of the Board of the Nobel Foundation and the host of the evening’s banquet. During the entry procession, and later during the exit procession, Mattias Wager will play the City Hall’s organ. We will also hear fanfares by two trumpeters, father and son Olle and Mikael Hermansen. In 1901 the first Nobel Banquet, held in the Hall of Mirrors of the Grand Hôtel, had 113 guests. Today the Nobel Banquet is served to about 1,350 guests.

The programs of the Prize Ceremony and the Banquet, the seating plan and a lot more information:
The 2016 Nobel Week in Stockholm

The Table of Honor of the Banquet will be published tomorrow.

The Table of Honour at the Nobel Banquet
https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.c...60e0d005a17de_Table of Honour_2016_D_9dec.pdf

On previous years the royal family has gone from the banquet to the Prince's Gallery, where they have given audience to the Nobel Laureates. But this year they will go to Golden Hall, where all the guests are mingling and dancing. Margareta Thorgren said that this way the royal family can socialize with the Laureates but also with the other guests. Maybe we will see some royals dancing too ?
The Royal Family receives the Laureates for an audience at the King's Dinner for the Nobel Laureates on December 11.
Stora förändringen inför Nobel _ Svensk Damtidning

The link's to SVT's live broadcasts today:

The Nobel Prize Ceremony
Nobel 2016_ Prisutdelning - 10 dec 16.20 _ SVT Play

The Nobel Banquet
Nobel 2016_ Banketten - 10 dec 19.00 _ SVT Play

The stage at Stockholm Concert Hall
https://media.shootitlive.com/QioTeD4on8psCHwEHjz4BIzg1qX/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2594

Countess Bettina Bernadotte af Wisborg (this time with a tiara) and her husband Philipp Haug
https://media.shootitlive.com/VIAiajiFh2VEajmrnifAzJmu6Ei/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2594

The Prize Ceremony can be seen also at Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvZmrygK3F0

Here is also a small tiara (?), this lady looks like the swedish ambassador to France, but I'm not 100 % sure
https://media.shootitlive.com/VGJVq7NohfckBtNdGuSDXkBv9me/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2594

Victoria and Daniel
https://media.shootitlive.com/IvoVtgaDfLbdsznwbV0pj3Bpd29/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2594
https://media.shootitlive.com/6CN2xVy3jbyElb1ssbr2Y4ZsWkp/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2594
King Carl Gustaf
https://media.shootitlive.com/GHbXdlldt2LecdqJzfVTS2Y1b6X/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2594
Queen Silvia
https://media.shootitlive.com/YOAtHVx8w598VE92uSung2xzxa2/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2594
Madeleine and Chris
https://media.shootitlive.com/P09GXn5q8aFRfqTU3u90DNqoF8h/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2594
Carl Philip and Sofia
https://media.shootitlive.com/CxJxZMgzTTtVCLVSzxqCNcdwiWn/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2594

The cut steel tiara and Cameo Parure jewellery a perfect combination for Victoria and her dress.

The small cut steel tiara for Sofia
https://media.shootitlive.com/Cxfqb5bqnRV7OBJRBG1amCQ38lD/1200.jpg?project_id=stellapictures/53

Yes, Victoria looks absolutely gorgeous.

Photos updated here
Nobelfesten 2016 – följ Nobelpriset och Nobelmiddagen live | Kungligt | Expressen
Följ Nobelfesten minut för minut | Svensk Damtidning
Se stjärnornas klänningar på Nobelfesten _ Aftonbladet

Countess Bettina looks great! It's amazing to see tiara pics this soon. Btw, this year ist the second time in a row that she wears a tiara for the Nobels. She already wore the same tiara last year.

Victoria is stunnning:flowers:

Great to see Sofia in new tiara. Bit surprised it is the small cut steel. It's a very underwhelming tiara. The women usually wear the big bling tonight. Even her wedding tiara is more impressive bling wise and would have looked great with her dress. Shame the small cut steel didn't wait till tomorrow. But still great Sofia got to wear something else.

Victoria is absolutly gorgeous, stunning and beautiful. She's the definite winner tonight. Her gown is amazing!

I don't love Sofia's gown. I do like Madeine's train and her tiara choice, don't like the upper part of the gown I think.

I'm watching the ceremony right now and think I will leave a comment later!

Victoria is absolutly gorgeous, stunning and beautiful. She's the definite winner tonight. Her gown is amazing!
Pity that she is not wearing the Cameo tiara instead of the Cut steel tiara.

Pity that she is not wearing the Cameo tiara instead of the Cut steel tiara.

The Cameo tiara would have been way too big and stiff with the dress Victoria wears. The soft and lovely Cut steel tiara matches with the dress much better.

OMG! Victoria looks gorgeous!

Absolutely agree! She looks exactly the way a Princess or a Queen should look like!
Reminds me a bit of the british Queen´s dresses at the beginning of the 1950s in the last legs of her time as heiress presumptive and young sovereign.

I think Sophia looks costumed. It´s an elegant dress, but not really her style. Looks like she wants to make forget her past by an image she simply does not represent.;)
Madeleine looks very cute and princessly.

IMO the Queen´s dress is a bit too bling-bling. Looks like an aged Variety show singer or a christmas tree....:whistling:(perhaps she and Sophia made up their minds and exchanged gowns in the last minutes before they left for the ceremony....). On top of it all she added a huge parure! Much too much, much, much....

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom