The Nobel Prize 2013 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Victoria looked stunning in that red ballgown yesterday! A perfect princess! There's nothing more to say about it. Simply stunning!!!

Silvia looked great. I like here dress (blue always suits her) and I really love those saphires on here. She really knows how to wear them.

Madeleine was a dissapointment to me. I don't like her dress at all. To long at the hem (she has always had to pic it up so she could walk) and just boringly hanging down. I also don't like the hearts on it. The best on Madeleine was the nice rosé colour of the dress and the tiara, because the tiara is just Madeleine.

Sofia was solala. Nice, rich colour which matches her hair and skin perfectly. The dress also wasn't as boringly hanging down as Madeleines but was also nice and full. The thing I didn't like was the amount of glitter on the dress. It would have looked way better with just a few glitter elements here and there and not all over the upper half of the dress. But in the end she looked way better than in the red lace something she wore at the state dinner a while back.That dress I didn't like at all.

And the royal men (where I feel free to include Chris): Well, you can't make anything wrong at a white tie event as a man, right?

Silvia: great jewels and good hair, but badly executed dress. The material is tricky, it’s crumpling at the seams, the hem is showing because it’s crumpling there as well. Also the shirt wasn’t well tailored; it hung down without any elegance. But I liked the upper part, the embroidery and the vibrant colour.

Victoria: Great colour! Nice Jewels, good to see her wearing the fringe tiara again, the diamond cross was quite a statement. But the skirt was too Disney for my taste, it looked as if it came 20 years too late.

Madeleine: Liked the colour and material of her dress, but imo it lacked a proper fit. The amethysts were lovely with it, but I wish she had worn the amethyst tiara again. She wears the modern fringe so often; it would be nice if she wore something else for the really big events like the Nobels.
Sofia: The dress looked too Barbie for my taste, and the cut wasn’t flattering on her. But it wasn’t as bad as some people want to paint it, imo. And I seem to remember that Madeleine has shown just as much cleavage before.

The three younger ladies all wore lovely hairstyles. But at the back they were too similar, imho. A bit more variation would have been nice.

Princess Christina: I didn’t see the complete dress, but liked the embroidery on the top. The six button tiara looks good on her, she’s the only one who can wear it well right now. But she’ll probably wear the same tiara tonight, and that bores me. Can she wear a different tiara for the first Nobel night, please?

Why? I don't see why that is a good thing.

Because if you seat a couple next to each other they bore the rest of the table to death. This defies the point of giving a dinner party.

But JR76 is correct: the etiquette books say that you seat engaged and newly-wed couples next to each other so the lady can get introduced to the new environment. But most of these books date back from the years of Edith Wharton novels and such, before women got emancipated. I suppose you can call it a charming gesture though, but personally I find it an absolute bore (not necessarily for this couple in particular but more in general terms). Still, when Jonas B. attended as fiance, he was seated seperately from Madeleine.

Anyway... A royal entry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk8q4frjIqk

The jewels looks so much more impressive on video than on photos.

Last edited:
Because if you seat a couple next to each other they bore the rest of the table to death. This defies the point of giving a dinner party.

But JR76 is correct: the etiquette books say that you seat engaged and newly-wed couples next to each other so the lady can get introduced to the new environment. But most of these books date back from the years of Edith Wharton novels and such, before women got emancipated. I suppose you can call it a charming gesture though, but personally I find it an absolute bore (not necessarily for this couple but more in general terms).
Yes, this tradition dates back to times when people hardly new each other when they got engaged. So they had a chance to get to talk to each other before the wedding.

Remains the question why this was not done with Jonas as well? My guess: Madeleine and Jonas were already surrounded by rumours of a crisis in their relationship. They were barely seen together, but nothing official was known. Was Jonas shoved down to the end of the table because it was no longer clear whether there'd be a wedding or not?

Or did Carl Philip simply put his foot down and insisted that Sofia sit next to him?

Yes, this tradition dates back to times when people hardly new each other when they got engaged. So they had a chance to get to talk to each other before the wedding.

Remains the question why this was not done with Jonas as well? My guess: Madeleine and Jonas were already surrounded by rumours of a crisis in their relationship. They were barely seen together, but nothing official was known. Was Jonas shoved down to the end of the table because it was no longer clear whether there'd be a wedding or not?

Or did Carl Philip simply put his foot down and insisted that Sofia sit next to him?

Or was it just a decision without any bad/egoistical motives in both cases? Why always compare anything to how it was done before and not see any situation/decision individual?

I think due to the weight of madeleines dress 15 kilos it had an other fit then her dresses she wore before

LadyFinn do you know what time today's dinner is?

Last edited by a moderator:

Do remember that the royals are only guests at the Nobel Prize banquet, they are not the hosts. It's the Nobel Foundation who are the hosts and who plan the seating, and the Nobel Laureates are the guests of honour. Perhaps the reason to separate Madeleine and Jonas at the table was to let one of the guests of honour have a royal princess to the table, while Sofia isn't that important at the moment and therefor could be seated with her fiancé as is the Swedish tradition of engaged couples. Next year when they are married they will be seated separately at the table.

Do remember that the royals are only guests at the Nobel Prize banquet, they are not the hosts. It's the Nobel Foundation who are the hosts and who plan the seating, and the Nobel Laureates are the guests of honour. Perhaps the reason to separate Madeleine and Jonas at the table was to let one of the guests of honour have a royal princess to the table, while Sofia isn't that important at the moment and therefor could be seated with her fiancé as is the Swedish tradition of engaged couples. Next year when they are married they will be seated separately at the table.

and yet we know that the King has a say in the seating, at least of the Royal family.

There are a hundred different reasons for why Sofia & CP sat next to each other, while Madeleine & Jonas did not. But the point stands that it looks as if this is another thing that the King gives preference to CP, whereas he did not to either of his daughters. It makes one raise one's eyebrow.

Likely CP had no say in it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the King had asked for CP & Sofia to be sat near each other.

According to the Nobel Week calendar, the dinner starts today at 19.30 swedish time. Maybe the time 18.30 at the royal calendar was wrong or meant for the photographers?

you might be right, re: photographers. so I guess then we still have some time to wait :p

According to the Nobel Week calendar, the dinner starts today at 19.30 swedish time. Maybe the time 18.30 at the royal calendar was wrong or meant for the photographers?

The time(s) in the Royal calendar is the time for media. Gala Dinners almost every time starts at 19:30 with the procession of the Royal Family and greetings and the dinner later starts 20:00

i think it was only that sofia is relatively inexperienced, perhaps more so than jonas was back then, to be sat on her own at this stage and next to a nobel prize winner. no pressure! i'm not trying to be irrespectful here, but she was in a reality show - reality show contestants are not known for their eloquency in general... so until they train her a bit, and make her more comfortable with the role, i think it was safe to seat her next to CP.

supposedly Sofia has something diamond in her hair (perhaps the rose brooch?), Silvia is in the Connaught, Victoria in the Baden, Madeleine in the Modern, and Christina in the 6-button.

So only Sofia & Silvia are doing something new, tiara-wise.

Still can't find any photos.

ETA: Belga is releasing some pictures, but none of the royals yet. http://portal.belgaimage.be/editori...one/others:none/sourcesKey:/isAdv:false/nobel

and Svenskdam has a few: http://svenskdam.se/2014/12/vad-ar-val-en-middag-pa-slottet/

Last edited:
supposedly Sofia has something diamond in her hair (perhaps the rose brooch?), Silvia is in the Connaught, Victoria in the Baden, Madeleine in the Modern, and Christina in the 6-button.

So only Sofia & Silvia are doing something new, tiara-wise.

Still can't find any photos.

ETA: Belga is releasing some pictures, but none of the royals yet. Belga Image - Editorial

and Svenskdam has a few: Vad är väl en middag på slottet… | Svensk Damtidning

The queen, Victoria and Madeleine look nice, except Madeleine's hairdo. But Victoria and Madeleine could have changed tiaras for tonight. Great to see Victoria again with Lilian's favourite corsage. And Sofia, again the dress is a disappointment and too much cleavage.

Gallery, will be updated.
APA-Picturedesk

Of course yesterday they had more festive dresses.
The queen's dress today is better than yesterday.
Victoria looks very good also today, but yesterday she was breathtaking, that was such a statement dress and her super good posture made her look fantastic.
Madeleine, I liked her yesterday's dress better. And her hairdo was good yesterday, today it is a mess.
Sofia, both dresses have been such disappointments. She is going to wrong direction. She had nice dresses in various events and now these...

So the best three in these two days.
1. Victoria in her red dress
2. The queen in her red dress
3. Madeleine in her Nobel Ceremony dress, although I didn't like it. But her hairdo was beautiful.

According to the court Sofia wears private jewellery. As you can see, there is a surprise at the back of Victoria's dress.
Kungens middag för Nobelpristagarna - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

The guest list
https://www.kungahuset.se/download/.../1418318250517/GästLista+11+december+2014.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
The queen, Victoria and Madeleine look nice. But Victoria and Madeleine could have changed tiaras for tonight. Great to see Victoria again with Lilian's favourite corsage. And Sofia, again the dress is a disappointment.

Gallery, will be updated.
APA-Picturedesk

I love everyone's outfits tonight. So much better over last night. A little bit sad about the double use of tiaras, but oh well.

I like Madde's most, then Sofia. Victoria's dress is least appealing imo.

Silvias dress could very well be the one Sofia wore at the state dinner a while ago, but Silvia looks way better in red lace than Sofia had back than.

Victorias dress is nice and it goes well with the tiara and necklace.

Madeleines dress is much, much better than the one from last night, which I didn't like at all.

Sofias dress could have been a bit more colourful. It looks way to plain as if she almost doesn't wear a dress. Nude is not a good dress colour for her.

I also want to add that it's disappointing to see Maddie with her hair down again. It seems to be a favorite look of hers. And her tiara is so far back on her head, how's it staying on?!

Sofia dress is much better than yesterday.
Madde and Victoria: both not bad at all! Credits for Victorias necklace :flowers::flowers::flowers:
I do not like Queen Silvia with this Dress, can´t tell why.... tooo red mabye
BYe Bine

Now that I've seen the back of Vickan's dress, I'm going to have to amend my statement. Everyone looks great, except for Vickan. That back is ridiculous in the worst way. Oh my word. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom