The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-11-2014, 01:59 AM
Nobility

Will Victoria ever do anything with her hair other than just scrape it back really tightly? It looks painful.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Bildextra från Nobel 2014 Svensk Damtidning

Kronprinsessan Victoria succé-dress – fram och bak Åsas kungliga Europa

Most in love in the Nobel
Kärast på Nobel Åsas kungliga Europa

Yes, is it already carnival? At the Nobel Sofia Hellqvist shocked with her pink tinsel dress. The fiancée of Carl Philip looked like a carnival princess.
Sofia Hellqvist Ja, ist denn schon Fasching BUNTE.de

And if someone didn't see the ceremony and banquet, the programs are here, to be looked for 29 days:
Nobel - Prisutdelningen SVT Play
Nobel - Banketten SVT Play

Galleries
Prize ceremony
IBL Bildbyrå
Banquet
IBL Bildbyrå

Nobel-festen i Stockholm - VG

Old 12-11-2014, 03:58 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

If even Bunte is not happy with Sofia's dress, that must mean it was really awful. The top looks indeed like an ice skaters suit. It seems that the dress was much cheaper than those of her in-laws, the materials used were not too great. Her hair looked good though and I liked that she tried to play with some jewels. Although it is nice to seat the lovebirds together for the press, I am not sure if it is a nice thing for the people sitting next to them. I am always in favor of splitting couple's up at dinner parties.

Victoria: you expect her to lose a glass slipper on the stair case and her carriage to turn into a pumpkin at any minute. Very Disney princess, the dress looks like something Silvia could have worn in 1995. IMHO the styling & jewels save the look. Nice to see the Baden fringe again and nice to see her for the first time with the diamond cross. The tiara may have looked nicer on a softer hairdo.

Silvia: love the sapphires. She should never wear anything else. In real life the parure must be amazing to see. The dress: let's hope she will never recycle it.

Madeleine: best dressed for me. The fabric seems rich and the dress feels young and 'now'. The cut is not so flattering, but who knows what the reason is for that. Love the amethysts!

Pss Christina: always a joy to see her. She is the only one who can pull of the Button tiaras.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:00 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Although it is nice to seat the lovebirds together for the press, I am not sure if it is a nice thing for the people sitting next to them. I am always in favor of splitting couple's up at dinner parties.
According to Swedish etiquette you seat unmarried couples together at dinner parties so I'm sure it wasn't just done for the press.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 12-11-2014, 05:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
According to Swedish etiquette you seat unmarried couples together at dinner parties so I'm sure it wasn't just done for the press.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
But like we have previously talked, engaged couple Madeleine and Jonas were separated in 2009. Where was the etiquette then? Madeleine sat in the middle of the table and Jonas in the end with Bettina Bernadotte.

Victoria von Schweden So schön sah sie noch nie aus! BUNTE.de
Royals Schweden Zwei noble Debüts GALA.DE GALA.DE

La familia real sueca llena de glamour los premios Nobel

It was a false information at Svensk Damtidning's article comments about that Carl Philip would have given Sofia a tiara. Svensk Damtidning doesn't mention that. I don't know if the writer made a joke or has heard another rumour.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Although it is nice to seat the lovebirds together for the press, I am not sure if it is a nice thing for the people sitting next to them. I am always in favor of splitting couple's up at dinner parties.
Why? I don't see why that is a good thing.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:24 AM
Majesty

Has Betina ever worn a tiara?
Old 12-11-2014, 05:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
Has Betina ever worn a tiara?
Yes, at least at Victoria's and Daniel's wedding.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Old 12-11-2014, 06:37 AM
Courtier

Victoria looked stunning in that red ballgown yesterday! A perfect princess! There's nothing more to say about it. Simply stunning!!!

Silvia looked great. I like here dress (blue always suits her) and I really love those saphires on here. She really knows how to wear them.

Madeleine was a dissapointment to me. I don't like her dress at all. To long at the hem (she has always had to pic it up so she could walk) and just boringly hanging down. I also don't like the hearts on it. The best on Madeleine was the nice rosé colour of the dress and the tiara, because the tiara is just Madeleine.

Sofia was solala. Nice, rich colour which matches her hair and skin perfectly. The dress also wasn't as boringly hanging down as Madeleines but was also nice and full. The thing I didn't like was the amount of glitter on the dress. It would have looked way better with just a few glitter elements here and there and not all over the upper half of the dress. But in the end she looked way better than in the red lace something she wore at the state dinner a while back.That dress I didn't like at all.

And the royal men (where I feel free to include Chris): Well, you can't make anything wrong at a white tie event as a man, right?

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Silvia: great jewels and good hair, but badly executed dress. The material is tricky, it’s crumpling at the seams, the hem is showing because it’s crumpling there as well. Also the shirt wasn’t well tailored; it hung down without any elegance. But I liked the upper part, the embroidery and the vibrant colour.

Victoria: Great colour! Nice Jewels, good to see her wearing the fringe tiara again, the diamond cross was quite a statement. But the skirt was too Disney for my taste, it looked as if it came 20 years too late.

Madeleine: Liked the colour and material of her dress, but imo it lacked a proper fit. The amethysts were lovely with it, but I wish she had worn the amethyst tiara again. She wears the modern fringe so often; it would be nice if she wore something else for the really big events like the Nobels.
Sofia: The dress looked too Barbie for my taste, and the cut wasn’t flattering on her. But it wasn’t as bad as some people want to paint it, imo. And I seem to remember that Madeleine has shown just as much cleavage before.

The three younger ladies all wore lovely hairstyles. But at the back they were too similar, imho. A bit more variation would have been nice.

Princess Christina: I didn’t see the complete dress, but liked the embroidery on the top. The six button tiara looks good on her, she’s the only one who can wear it well right now. But she’ll probably wear the same tiara tonight, and that bores me. Can she wear a different tiara for the first Nobel night, please?
Old 12-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

SVT2 shows on Saturday at 20.00 the Nobel Prize Concert, where the king and queen attended on Monday. It will then be put to SVT play, I hope that we can see it abroad also.

The banquet, entrance procession
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=wk8q4frjIqk
Old 12-11-2014, 11:08 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Why? I don't see why that is a good thing.
Because if you seat a couple next to each other they bore the rest of the table to death. This defies the point of giving a dinner party.

But JR76 is correct: the etiquette books say that you seat engaged and newly-wed couples next to each other so the lady can get introduced to the new environment. But most of these books date back from the years of Edith Wharton novels and such, before women got emancipated. I suppose you can call it a charming gesture though, but personally I find it an absolute bore (not necessarily for this couple in particular but more in general terms). Still, when Jonas B. attended as fiance, he was seated seperately from Madeleine.

Anyway... A royal entry:

The jewels looks so much more impressive on video than on photos.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Because if you seat a couple next to each other they bore the rest of the table to death. This defies the point of giving a dinner party.

But JR76 is correct: the etiquette books say that you seat engaged and newly-wed couples next to each other so the lady can get introduced to the new environment. But most of these books date back from the years of Edith Wharton novels and such, before women got emancipated. I suppose you can call it a charming gesture though, but personally I find it an absolute bore (not necessarily for this couple but more in general terms).
Yes, this tradition dates back to times when people hardly new each other when they got engaged. So they had a chance to get to talk to each other before the wedding.

Remains the question why this was not done with Jonas as well? My guess: Madeleine and Jonas were already surrounded by rumours of a crisis in their relationship. They were barely seen together, but nothing official was known. Was Jonas shoved down to the end of the table because it was no longer clear whether there'd be a wedding or not?

Or did Carl Philip simply put his foot down and insisted that Sofia sit next to him?
Old 12-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Yes, this tradition dates back to times when people hardly new each other when they got engaged. So they had a chance to get to talk to each other before the wedding.

Remains the question why this was not done with Jonas as well? My guess: Madeleine and Jonas were already surrounded by rumours of a crisis in their relationship. They were barely seen together, but nothing official was known. Was Jonas shoved down to the end of the table because it was no longer clear whether there'd be a wedding or not?

Or did Carl Philip simply put his foot down and insisted that Sofia sit next to him?
Or was it just a decision without any bad/egoistical motives in both cases? Why always compare anything to how it was done before and not see any situation/decision individual?

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Majesty

I think due to the weight of madeleines dress 15 kilos it had an other fit then her dresses she wore before
Old 12-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Nobelkväll med extra allt! Svensk Damtidning
Translation

The Concert Hall outside yesterday evening
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...00acebf41e7bdc
Old 12-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Courtier

LadyFinn do you know what time today's dinner is?
Old 12-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahbellar View Post
LadyFinn do you know what time today's dinner is?
18.30 swedish time according to the court calendar.
H.M. Konung Carl XVI Gustaf - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]
Old 12-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
18.30 swedish time according to the court calendar.
H.M. Konung Carl XVI Gustaf - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]
so it should be starting soon?

I look foward to seeing what Sofia wears for tonight. My fingers are still crossed for the Diamond Rose in her hair.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post

Do remember that the royals are only guests at the Nobel Prize banquet, they are not the hosts. It's the Nobel Foundation who are the hosts and who plan the seating, and the Nobel Laureates are the guests of honour. Perhaps the reason to separate Madeleine and Jonas at the table was to let one of the guests of honour have a royal princess to the table, while Sofia isn't that important at the moment and therefor could be seated with her fiancé as is the Swedish tradition of engaged couples. Next year when they are married they will be seated separately at the table.

Tags
awards, chris o'neill, crown princess victoria, king carl xvi gustav, nobel, nobel prize, prince carl philip, prince daniel, princess madeleine, prizes, queen silvia, stockholm