The Nobel Festivities Through the Years

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More photos:
Silvia
Corbis
Silvia, Carl Gustaf and Lilian
Corbis

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks you!!! with photos on Princess Lilians dress nobel!!! Princess is grand lady of royal family Sweden!

As a tribute to the 'Grande Dame' of the Nobel ceremony, and on the sad occasion of not seeing her attend this year, here's a review of Princess Lilian of Sweden through the Nobel years.

With Queen Silvia and the Queen's parents in 1981:
ANP Beeldbank
1983:
Förhandsvisning av ' 199184.jpg ' - Sjöberg bild +46 (0) 940 360 14 *|*registrera dig eller e-posta
1987:
Förhandsvisning av ' 199182.jpg ' - Sjöberg bild +46 (0) 940 360 14 *|*registrera dig eller e-posta
1990:
Förhandsvisning av ' TR8980.jpg ' - Sjöberg bild +46 (0) 940 360 14 *|*registrera dig eller e-posta
http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/fotoweb...113D4028571621487F9F857F174A76&archiveid=5018
..and aided by Queen Silvia at what hopefully won't become her last Nobel appearance :flowers:, in 2006:
ANP Beeldbank

As a tribute to the 'Grande Dame' of the Nobel ceremony, and on the sad occasion of not seeing her attend this year, here's a review of Princess Lilian of Sweden through the Nobel years.

With Queen Silvia and the Queen's parents in 1981:
ANP Beeldbank
1983:
Förhandsvisning av ' 199184.jpg ' - Sjöberg bild +46 (0) 940 360 14 *|*registrera dig eller e-posta
1987:
Förhandsvisning av ' 199182.jpg ' - Sjöberg bild +46 (0) 940 360 14 *|*registrera dig eller e-posta
1990:
Förhandsvisning av ' TR8980.jpg ' - Sjöberg bild +46 (0) 940 360 14 *|*registrera dig eller e-posta
2000:
IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65
2002:
2004:
...and aided by Queen Silvia at what hopefully won't become her last Nobel appearance :flowers:, in 2006:
ANP Beeldbank

Great photos. Thank. When was the last time Prince Bertil was present ?? Just looked through the photos in the thread and it looks he was not present in 1995 and 1996. Did he attend the last time in 1994 ??

This thread is for Nobel years which don't have their own thread (only 2002, 2003 and 2004 does). I felt that it was needed since I have pics that I want to share from past Nobel years, so I will post them here. This can also be a conclusive thread for things to do with past Nobel things (historically, questions etc).

First, some historical pictures:

King Gustaf VI Adolf in 1948 (Corbis)

Dear GrandDuchess, I would deeply appreciate some feedback in reference to that picture:
1) If the year was 1948, then King Gustav VI Adolf was still the Heir to the Throne, but I do not see the King
2) Is the person to Gustav VI Adolf's right Louise Mountbatten?
3) Is the person next to her Prince Bertil?

Dear GrandDuchess, I would deeply appreciate some feedback in reference to that picture:
1) If the year was 1948, then King Gustav VI Adolf was still the Heir to the Throne, but I do not see the King
2) Is the person to Gustav VI Adolf's right Louise Mountbatten?
3) Is the person next to her Prince Bertil?
1) I suppose it was 1948 since I wrote it was and was ony following the year given in the picture's caption. That is King Gustaf VI Adolf, but of course at the time he was not King yet, perhaps I should've cleared that out by posting his correct title at the time. I suppose he stood in for King Gustav V who might've been to poorly to attend, just like King Carl XVI Gustaf did for his grandfather.

2 & 3) Yes, to the right if you look at the picture from their perspective. If you look at the screen perspective Louise and Bertil are next to her on the left side of the screen.

Princess Lilian is much beautiful royal familys tiara and dress! Princess Lilian photo 2006,see she is much eldery woman now and queen Silvia help Princess Lilian talking. Princess Lilian is much more happy and humour royal family of Sweden.

I would like to say this and it is heartfelt.
The Nobel Prize Ceremony is certainly a unique annual world event that in everyone's mind is linked to the entire Swedish Royal Family. But in my soul, somehow, it is specifically and intricately linked to HRH, Princess Lilian, The Duchess of Halland (I took the liberty to add the The for she deserves it).
Upon trying to analyze why I feel that way, I came up with the explanation that, while in these events, the World honors Scientific, Literary and Humanistic achievement, the World also honors in The Duchess's person the unique set of values and principles she has stood for, for a lifetime.
My homage to you, Madam.

Last edited:
I know it's not done, and there's no reason that it should be, but I'd love to see all the Scandinavian Houses attend the Noble Prize ceremony. The Dane's of course have no function to play, but could be guests of Their Majesties, The King's and Queen's of Sweden and Norway.

To see them all together at such a world event would be just fantastic.

First row: King Carl XVI Gustav, Queen Sonja, King Karald, Queen Silvia and Princess Lilian.

Second row: Crown Princess Victoria, Crown Prince Haakon Magnus, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Prince Carl Phillip and Princess Madeleine

Thrid row: Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik, Crown Prince Federik, Crown Princess Mary, Prince Joachim and Princesss Benedikte.

Ahh, it was a nice thought..hehe.

Silvia❦CarlGustaf;702786 said:
Does someone know, why Infanta Christina of Spain attended the nobel-banquet in 1990?
Perhaps because Octavio Paz (Mexican) was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature?

Felipe Prince of Asturias was present at the Nobel Award ceremony in Stockholm in 1991. I can't find any Spanish laureate that year, so what might have been his reason to attend?

This one is worth having a look too!:
The Queen's Gowns

I was visiting the royal castle in Sthlm in june 06 and saw all these beautiful gowns (+ the weddingdress) together with my daughter (4 y) and it was wonderful!!!!! / SDG

New Nagging Question

While doing research about the Swedish jewelry collection, I stumbled across these pics (see links below) from Scanpix. They are labled as the 1975 Nobel Prize Ceremony in Stockholm. I thought they were mislabeled until I looked at the third one which shows the Nobel Prize winners.

The reason I doubted the label was because the venue is obviously in a stadium/auditorium with the prize winners and royals in the center of the floor not up on a stage or on the first row of the royal opera house as in earlier Nobel ceremonies.

In addition, King Carl XVI Gustaf and Prince Bertil are joined on stage by Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik of Denmark.

Aage Bohr, of Denmark, shared the Nobel Prize in physics with two others during the ceremonies in 1975. Other royals have attended and not been seated in such prominence. I know that Infanta Christina of Spain and Princess Benedikte of Denmark both attended the Nobel ceremonies and banquet before, but I have never seen someone other than the Swedish Royal Family in the places of honor. Has this been done any other time? And for what reason were Margrethe & Henrik awarded this honor? Because she was queen and a Danish citizen was receiving an award?

Scanpix | Forhåndsvisning

:previous: I have no answer to your "Margrethe- question" but in 1975 the Ceremony took place at the St. Erik International Fair (Stockholmsmässan) due to special commemorations of Nobel history that required large seating capacity. In 1975, it was the 75th anniversary of the Nobel Foundation that was being commemorated... (at scanpix they tell the Nobel prize celebrated 100 years but thats wrong!)

Thanks for at your help with at least part of my questions, Soli Deo Gloria! :flowers:

Does anyone know why Queen Silvia did not attend the 1980 Nobel Prizes?

Does anyone know why Queen Silvia did not attend the 1980 Nobel Prizes?

She had flu. Princess Desirée Baroness Silfverschiöld (3:rd sister of the King) replaced her at short notice

She had flu. Princess Desirée Baroness Silfverschiöld (3:rd sister of the King) replaced her at short notice

Thank you. I didn't think that as she was sick at the 2012 Nobel Prizes but still attended. :)

Thank you. I didn't think that as she was sick at the 2012 Nobel Prizes but still attended. :)
There are more than one kind of flu and different intensity. Why would 1980 have any impact on 2012?

David Chipperfield Architects has won the prestigious competition for Stockholm’s new Nobel Centre
The RIBA Gold Medallist saw off two rival shortlisted studios – Sweden’s Wingårdhs arkitekter and Johan Celsing Arkitektkontor – to be ‘unanimously’ selected for the high-profile job.
Chipperfield said: ‘We are extremely excited and honoured to have been selected to be the architects for the Nobel Center. We look forward to working together to develop a building that reflects both the values of the Nobel Prize and the high expectations of the citizens of Stockholm.’
Chipperfield wins Nobel Centre job News Architects Journal

Great photos of the new Nobel Centre, which is to be inaugurated in December 2018.
Arkitekturen Nobel Center

Prize ceremony takes place in December; Princess Victoria was already nearly five months old at that time.

Back
Top Bottom