The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-17-2015, 07:27 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
But in 2014 at the publishing of the annual report Jan Lindtman told that the official part's costs were paid from the apanage.
My guess is that the royal court doesn't really consider the appanage as taxpayers' money, but as wages due for the royal family for doing representation, and that the official parts of the weddings was seen as a part of their representation duties, at least when it comes to the official guests (royals and representatives for the official Sweden). The pre-wedding dinner was private, the wedding representation.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
I don't think that's entirely true. Victoria's wedding was on a much larger scale and much grander than this. Madeleine's was smaller but that was on her request.
Victoria's wedding was that of the heir to the throne. Nothing more and nothing less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Absolutely. I saw a german interview yesterday with a well know german royal watcher and Silvia said the same thing again, that they were against it but the parliament decided over their heads just because the women's movement was everywhere. I didn't like the tone how she said it at all. She further said that she didnt want Victoria with the burden having to work and having a family. Sorry, this interview is from 2015, in what world is she still living?? She sounded negative and nostalgic, as if she hadn't understood a thing.

During yesterday's wedding I couldnt help thinking that CG would have been so proud if his son would have been the CP and he tried to give him a party as if he was the CP.

The way the Bernadotte children and their partners are being treated differently by both Silvia & CG is really appalling.
I too believe that King CG still loathes the fact that the succession was an argument he lost. But the first reading in Parliament predated Carl Philip's birth if not conception. The second reading was merely a formalily. After all, had it been contentious in Parliament it would not have passed the second reading. Regardless, that is ancient history and to use that as an explanation of why CP does not seem to have "found himself" yet is a stretch.

However, we all knew where the King stands and now, in 2015, we know where Queen Silvia stands. And it does not appear to be behind the heir. Now that really could have factored into Victoria's stress induced anorexia. It's a bit hard to be a teenage girl coming into adulthood and the responsibilities of who she is when she knows she either doesn't have the support of either of her parents or has their grudging support in pubic.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:17 AM
Heir Apparent

It is not all that difficult. I am neither royal nor noble but I am the only male left in my family. I have only one sister, my father has two sisters (my aunts) and they each have one daughter (my two cousines). I do feel the pressure and the expectation. Unspoken ánd outspoken. Meaning: I must procreate the family's bloodline and surname. My father is already donating chunks from the family properties to me, timely enough to keep it out hands of the claws of the state (succession taxes). He hopes that a new generation will maintain the heritage. So if even in my family (and in so many millions of families around the world) there is an expectation from sons, the same can -of course- be said from Heirs to the throne.

Sweden has gone from the one extreme to the other: from a purely agnatic succession in the male lineage, with exclusion from the succession and with consequences for the titulature when not marrying according the highest standards, to a situation in which "everything is possible" and where the already born Heir to the throne lost his place because the Act was changed with retro-active workings.

Having said that: was it the wedding of the futre King Carl XVII Philip of Sweden indeed, we most likely would not have seen Ms Hellqvist as a partner. That the King and Queen have a strong opinion on their son and his birthright is not so strange. Many families have such a feeling regarding sons, especially the eldest one. The children of Prince Carl Philip will be the new generation of Bernadottes. His sister has given birth to a daughter of Mr Westling. This is the traditional view which was perfectly normal since the Romans started to register citizenship in public rolls (as we all can read in the Bible, telling about Joseph and Mary going to Bethlehem for exactly that registration, summoned by Emperor Augustus...).
Old 06-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
His sister has given birth to a daughter of Mr Westling.
The former Mr Westling is the great-grandson of Brita Westling and Anders Andersson.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The children of Prince Carl Philip will be the new generation of Bernadottes. His sister has given birth to a daughter of Mr Westling.
Actually, Victoria gave birth to a daughter of Mr Bernadotte. Daniel took Victoria's surname on marriage. He is Olof Daniel Westling Bernadotte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
The former Mr Westling is the great-grandson of Brita Westling and Anders Andersson.
I didn't know that. I love that sort of flexibility. Daniel strikes me as being a man who is confident enough in himself and his masculinity that he does not need to play macho games and it seems it runs in the family. I find that very attractive in a man.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:21 PM
Majesty

I agree, Daniel is very accommodating to the SRF but even better than that, he is a wonderful husband to Victoria and they both share full-time, hands-on, raising of their daughter Estelle, yet another Queen Regnant in-waiting. Royal engagements are statistically only part of their lives.

The King and Queen were very exacting as regards Victoria's choice of Daniel. As each year went by with still no engagement, let alone wedding, but with private photos showing how close they were, a lot of people wondered if the King would ever relent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffadil View Post
Can you fill me in on the relevance of the people quoted?
Old 06-17-2015, 10:48 PM
Nobility

I still cannot understand why people have so much trouble understanding the change of succession. The whole process was debated and agreed upon prior to CP's birth. The King and Queen knew this was going to occur. There was no birthright, per se, in this case. CP was never going to be Crown Prince after the legislation was rubber-stamped. In this case, that act occurred several months after CP's birth. It was not retrospective. There ws no clause that in the event of a male child being born between that time period that the male would precede Victoria.

Also, the next Head of the House of Bernadotte is Victoria - not CP. Spin it how you like, but Victoria is CG's heir apparent.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
I still cannot understand why people have so much trouble understanding the change of succession. The whole process was debated and agreed upon prior to CP's birth. The King and Queen knew this was going to occur. There was no birthright, per se, in this case. CP was never going to be Crown Prince after the legislation was rubber-stamped. In this case, that act occurred several months after CP's birth. It was not retrospective. There ws no clause that in the event of a male child being born between that time period that the male would precede Victoria.

Also, the next Head of the House of Bernadotte is Victoria - not CP. Spin it how you like, but Victoria is CG's heir apparent.

Agreed. Mistress of the robes, Countess Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister told in an interview around the time of Estelles birth how she and other courtiers was hoping for a boy when the Queen was pregnant for the first time because the Court and the Royal family was aware that a change of law of succession was coming and that the first born child would be the heir to the throne. She also told how gutted and disappointed she felt when it turned out to be a girl but also how she had changed her mind and that Victoria would be a great monarch when it was her turn.
That said, Princess Birgitta in an interview a few months ago told about how she was with the King when he got the message of how the government had decided regarding the succession and his heir and how sad and disappointed he was. Apparently he had still harboured hopes that the changes wouldn't affect his children.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-18-2015, 02:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:

What's strange to me is not that people in general have a hard time understanding the changes but that the Swedish king and Queen seem to have had trouble with the concept, as well! There was no mystery in either the nature or the timing of the changes. There also doesn't seem to have been any reason to think the changes wouldn't apply to the, (then), current generation of royal children. The King and Queen decided to go ahead and conceive a second child at the time they did, with the full knowledge that, if it was a son, his status as heir would be short lived.
It used to be that first born female royal children would be the heiress to the throne only for a short time, and everyone knew they would be displaced when a younger brother came along. CP was heir to the Swedish throne for a short time and everyone knew he would be displaced when the new law came into effect. CP lost nothing more than countless female royals have done, (and in some countries still do), and yet somehow it's his case that's seen as unfair.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
What's strange to me is not that people in general have a hard time understanding the changes but that the Swedish king and Queen seem to have had trouble with the concept, as well! There was no mystery in either the nature or the timing of the changes. There also doesn't seem to have been any reason to think the changes wouldn't apply to the, (then), current generation of royal children. The King and Queen decided to go ahead and conceive a second child at the time they did, with the full knowledge that, if it was a son, his status as heir would be short lived.
It used to be that first born female royal children would be the heiress to the throne only for a short time, and everyone knew they would be displaced when a younger brother came along. CP was heir to the Swedish throne for a short time and everyone knew he would be displaced when the new law came into effect. CP lost nothing more than countless female royals have done, (and in some countries still do), and yet somehow it's his case that's seen as unfair.
You have also hit the nail on the head. Sweden was a leader, at that time, to get rid of male primogeniture. And as for the King and Queen - it's time they get over it. He hasn't been Crown Prince in over 30 years. Also, their eldest daughter, the Crown Princess is showing us what a great regent she will be.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
However, we all knew where the King stands and now, in 2015, we know where Queen Silvia stands. And it does not appear to be behind the heir. Now that really could have factored into Victoria's stress induced anorexia. It's a bit hard to be a teenage girl coming into adulthood and the responsibilities of who she is when she knows she either doesn't have the support of either of her parents or has their grudging support in pubic.
I have thought exactly the same way ever since Victoria's anorexia.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
You have also hit the nail on the head. Sweden was a leader, at that time, to get rid of male primogeniture. And as for the King and Queen - it's time they get over it. He hasn't been Crown Prince in over 30 years. Also, their eldest daughter, the Crown Princess is showing us what a great regent she will be.
I can understand why in Queen Elizabeth's case, regardless that there was no chance whatsoever of a younger brother, she was only ever Heir Presumptive and never Princess of Wales.

Queen Margrethe was never even in the succession because when she was born women could not ascend the throne at all. The law was changed in 1953 and she then became Heir Presumptive but, as with her cousin Elizabeth, never Heir Apparent because theoretically they could both be gazumped by a younger brother.

Both women lived younger lives of restriction that their male counterparts never did and have gone on to become the historic figures that they are on their own merits alone.

All this wittering about Carl Philip being "robbed of his birthright" is just plain silly. That Carl Gustaf didn't believe the Swedish Parliament would follow through with their stated desire, made before the birth of Victoria, let alone Carl Philip, is the King and Queen's problem.

I use the word problem because it is a problem. Over thirty years have passed and still both the King and the Queen appear to be holding on to their ill feelings. That they express them is not only indiscreet but disquieting. It also makes Victoria's achievements even more sweet, having earned them in the school of hard knocks. And gives us a slightly different view of she and Daniel's courtship.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
[...]

I use the word problem because it is a problem. Over thirty years have passed and still both the King and the Queen appear to be holding on to their ill feelings. That they express them is not only indiscreet but disquieting. It also makes Victoria's achievements even more sweet, having earned them in the school of hard knocks. And gives us a slightly different view of she and Daniel's courtship.
Try to imagine yourself into the King's position. He only holds that position because he is a direct male agnate of a whole series of royal Bernadottes. Until he himself changed it, any non-fullfilment to the strict rules led to an exit from the Swedish Royal House. Even noble ladies as Ebba Munck af Fulkila or Elsa von Rosen were seen as a mésalliance. Their spouses were thrown out of the Swedish succession and the Royal House.

Three of the King's own sisters (whom never held succession rights) were also thrown out of the Royal House because they did not comply with the strict rules. All this has changed, but this does not take away that Carl Philip is the next agnatic male of an illustrious dynasty, a future Pater Familias, and apparently the King (and the Queen) have a strong feeling about that.

By all means and by all accounts and by what we all can see, Crown Princess Victoria has an excellent relationship with her parents and she has their full support. She also has an excellent relationship with her brother. He even agreed to let the Galliera inheritance, which consists of an exquisite art collection and a financial fund, pass to Victoria, although he is the legal inheritor. The reason why Prince Carl Philip rather than his elder sister has, until now, been heir to the Galliera inheritance, is that this is an entail governed by male primogeniture.

We may assume Prince Carl Philip will be compensated for his loss. The Galliera collection contains some sixty Italian works and are among the jewels of the Swedish royal collection. Piero di Cosimo’s “Madonna con il Bambino” is widely considered the greatest masterpiece of the collection, while the financial fund was worth millions already at the time of the death of King Gustaf VI Adolf in 1973.

We will see this in more Royal Houses. In Belgium the Von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha's will end to be a reigning royal family after Elisabeth, despite the fact she has brothers. In Norway the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg will loose its throne after Ingrid-Alexandra, despite there is a male agnate (Sverre Magnus).

In the Netherlands the "Orange-Nassaus" were (are) in reality Von Mecklenburg-Schwerin (Juliana), Zur Lippe-Biesterfeld (Beatrix) and Von Amsberg (Willem-Alexander). But in their case -in contrary to Sweden- there were no males left. It is simply how the King and Queen feel. At the same time they approve that Carl Philip marries with someone as Sofia, tja... it is all not very consistent.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Well put, Marg! I agree.

I, too, have been thinking about Victoria and Daniel's relationship after reading the various posts on this thread during the day. I think that they make an absolutely splendid pair. Every time they are together, especially with their delightful little daughter, when their feelings are even more apparent because each of them lets their guard down a little bit more when she's with them, it is obvious that the two of them are perfectly matched and very much in love. Daniel is a wonderful husband to Victoria, and a loving and involved father who obviously enjoys the company of small children and is very good with them, as we saw at CP's wedding when he took his turn keeping Leonore quiet.

Daniel is clearly a perfect match for Victoria. Yet I understand that there was a fair bit of resistance to him from Victoria's parents. I don't understand that at all. It seems that not only did she have to go through the experience of growing up with the knowledge that her parents resented the fact that it was she and not her younger brother who would be monarch one day, she had the added difficulty that when she did find her perfect consort - a man who would gladly play second fiddle to her and share the family duties with her, which should have assuaged Silvia's fears that being Queen Regnant and mother was an unreasonable burden for her daughter - her parents made him jump through hoops and delayed giving their approval. I wasn't following the Swedish Royals at the time of their courtship, so I can't be sure about the extent of those difficulties, but if there was resistance, I feel very sorry for Victoria indeed.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Try to imagine yourself into the King's position. He only holds that position because he is a direct male agnate of a whole series of royal Bernadottes. Until he himself changed it, any non-fullfilment to the strict rules led to an exit from the Swedish Royal House. Even noble ladies as Ebba Munck af Fulkila or Elsa von Rosen were seen as a mésalliance. Their spouses were thrown out of the Swedish succession and the Royal House.

Three of the King's own sisters (whom never held succession rights) were also thrown out of the Royal House because they did not comply with the strict rules. All this has changed, but this does not take away that Carl Philip is the next agnatic male of an illustrious dynasty, a future Pater Familias, and apparently the King (and the Queen) have a strong feeling about that.

By all means and by all accounts and by what we all can see, Crown Princess Victoria has an excellent relationship with her parents and she has their full support. She also has an excellent relationship with her brother. He even agreed to let the Galliera inheritance, which consists of an exquisite art collection and a financial fund, pass to Victoria, although he is the legal inheritor. The reason why Prince Carl Philip rather than his elder sister has, until now, been heir to the Galliera inheritance, is that this is an entail governed by male primogeniture.

We may assume Prince Carl Philip will be compensated for his loss. The Galliera collection contains some sixty Italian works and are among the jewels of the Swedish royal collection. Piero di Cosimo’s “Madonna con il Bambino” is widely considered the greatest masterpiece of the collection, while the financial fund was worth millions already at the time of the death of King Gustaf VI Adolf in 1973.

We will see this in more Royal Houses. In Belgium the Von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha's will end to be a reigning royal family after Elisabeth, despite the fact she has brothers. In Norway the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg will loose its throne after Ingrid-Alexandra, despite there is a male agnate (Sverre Magnus).

In the Netherlands the "Orange-Nassaus" were (are) in reality Von Mecklenburg-Schwerin (Juliana), Zur Lippe-Biesterfeld (Beatrix) and Von Amsberg (Willem-Alexander). But in their case -in contrary to Sweden- there were no males left. It is simply how the King and Queen feel. At the same time they approve that Carl Philip marries with someone as Sofia, tja... it is all not very consistent.
From the king's biography at the court website:
"The new King took "For Sweden - With the times" as his motto, thereby declaring his intention of meeting the demands of society on a modern monarch."

It is 2015, and he should finally live like he said at his motto. Times change, Victoria was made the heir to the throne. And if the king would have lived like his motto, he would have accepted that Victoria will be the future monarch. And put also his wife to accept that.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
At the same time they approve that Carl Philip marries with someone as Sofia, tja... it is all not very consistent.
Male chauvinist piggery often isn't.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:07 AM
Courtier

The Change of the Act of Succession - 1979 Constitution Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post

Well said Roslyn

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-18-2015, 07:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Interesting. I did not know that chauvinist pigs were limited to males... One is never too old to learn.

Also interesting is that when a candidate running for presidency in your country will stand no chance when photo's appear with her proudly showing underwear and tattooes, appearing in reality soaps: she would be slashed in pieces by (social) media. But when it is Sofia, ah... we all suddenly have to sink deep down through our cracking knees.... "Your Royal Highness".

Old 06-18-2015, 07:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Interesting. I did not know that chauvinist pigs were limited to males... One is never too old to learn.

Also interesting is that when a candidate running for presidency in your country will stand no chance when photo's appear with her proudly showing underwear and tattooes, appearing in reality soaps: she would be slashed in pieces by (social) media. But when it is Sofia, ah... we all suddenly have to sink deep down through our cracking knees.... "Your Royal Highness".

Chauvinist Piggery is a male personality problem Duc, but you do have a point Sofia would never be able to run for PM in Australia.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Male? There are female chauvinist pigs out there as well.

LaRae

Tags
constitution, constitutional change, crown princess victoria, prince carl philip, succession, sweden