The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #321  
Old 06-02-2015, 06:35 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
The swedish constitution does not recognise nobility anymore but we have not banned the use of noble titles for people from noble families.

That means that for example members of family Lewenhaupt can still call themselves Count/Countess and members of family Silfverschiöld can still call themselves Baron/Baroness even though the title does not have any juridical function anymore.

I have a question: if someone who is not a member of the Lewenhaupt family calls himself Count Lewenhaupt, can the Lewenhaupts sue him ?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 06-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I have a question: if someone who is not a member of the Lewenhaupt family calls himself Count Lewenhaupt, can the Lewenhaupts sue him ?

Technically yes as many surnames of noble ancestry is still protected by the law of names despite the nobility itself being abolished. It's quite confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Isn't the Solliden Palace also privately owned by the King ? I don't know who will inherit it.

You are correct. The King inherited it aged 4 from his great grandfather Gustaf V who inherited it from his wife Queen Victoria.

Don't know how they will do with it after the King is gone. As the Crown Princess family has builded a large house on the estate i can imagine that they will do something like Lennart Bernadotte did with Mainau and set up a foundation that will run the estate and being chaired by Victoria, Carl-Philip and Madeleine.

As we are off topic but discusses an important thing maybe the moderators can move this discussion to a fitting thread ?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 06-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,920
The King of Sweden can not create new nobility but of course Carl Philip has two titles: Prince of Sweden and Duke of Värmland. Technically, as son of the King and bearer of two titles, in my eyes is no creation of nobility needed.

In Denmark the title Count (Countess) de Monpezat was added to the princely titles. In the Netherlands the offspring of the younger sons of Queen Beatrix are Counts (Countesses) van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg. In the Danish and the Dutch case it was not so much an "elevation into the nobility" (as the persons were already belonging to royalty) but more an "incorporation" of a branch of the royal family into the nobility, with a noble title. When this is also possible in Sweden, then technically King Carl XVI Gustaf has not created a new noble - after all his son is royal - he only "added" him to the Swedish Nobility, so to say. Is that possible?
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 06-02-2015, 07:37 PM
JR76's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The King of Sweden can not create new nobility but of course Carl Philip has two titles: Prince of Sweden and Duke of Värmland. Technically, as son of the King and bearer of two titles, in my eyes is no creation of nobility needed.

In Denmark the title Count (Countess) de Monpezat was added to the princely titles. In the Netherlands the offspring of the younger sons of Queen Beatrix are Counts (Countesses) van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg. In the Danish and the Dutch case it was not so much an "elevation into the nobility" (as the persons were already belonging to royalty) but more an "incorporation" of a branch of the royal family into the nobility, with a noble title. When this is also possible in Sweden, then technically King Carl XVI Gustaf has not created a new noble - after all his son is royal - he only "added" him to the Swedish Nobility, so to say. Is that possible?

I don't think so. The Swedish nobility is not under the jurisdiction of the king and nowadays Riddarhuset is completely separate from the state. Also the Bernadottes isn't by definition a noble family and the title of duke should not be seen as a noble but a honorary royal title.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 06-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
and the title of duke should not be seen as a noble but a honorary royal title.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Correct. It's an all honorary title bestowed by the King with no noble connection at all. That's why Daniel got the title of Duke of Västergötland and why Sofia will be made Duchess of Värmland.

Had it been noble titles Daniel and Sofia could not have got those titles. Then they would likely have been created Prince Daniel Mr Bernadotte-Westling and Princess Sofia Mrs Bernadotte.
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 06-03-2015, 01:35 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 22,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
He will definitely as the only Prince by blood of the swedish royal family inerhit Stenhammar Castle from The King according to the will of it's former owner. I belive Stenhammar is the only palace that the King actually owns and does not belong to the state of Sweden.
The king doesn't own the Stenhammar Castle.
Stenhammar Castle is owned by the State and the king leases it. A R von Kraemer wrote in his will that the estate should be leased only to a Swedish prince of the royal family, who has possible succession to the throne. So after the king Carl Philip will lease the estate from the State.
Historia — Stenhammars Godsförvaltning
Translation

The king owns the Solliden Palace. And Victoria and Daniel built there an own house to Solliden with their own money. Maybe that tells us something.
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 06-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,005
The Change of the Act of Succession - 1979 Constitution Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The king owns the Solliden Palace. And Victoria and Daniel built there an own house to Solliden with their own money. Maybe that tells us something.

Don't think Carl-Philip will be given Solliden as it has since Gustaf V and Victoria who decided to build it been used as the official summer Residence of the royal family. And Carl-Philip and Sofia dosen't seem to be there very often.

Yes Solliden is the one Carl Gustaf owns. Not Stenhammar.
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 06-03-2015, 11:07 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 22,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
Don't think Carl-Philip will be given Solliden as it has since Gustaf V and Victoria who decided to build it been used as the official summer Residence of the royal family. And Carl-Philip and Sofia dosen't seem to be there very often.

Yes Solliden is the one Carl Gustaf owns. Not Stenhammar.
Of course not. I meant that Victoria will inherit it. It wouldn't be logical to spend millions to a house on an estate owned by someone else after the king is dead.
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 06-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,005
The Change of the Act of Succession - 1979 Constitution Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Of course not. I meant that Victoria will inherit it. It wouldn't be logical to spend millions to a house on an estate owned by someone else after the king is dead.
Oh sorry i misunderstood.

I agree. It seems like they are paving the way for Victorias family. She and Daniel seems to be the only ones except for her parents with any particular interest in Solliden.
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old 06-03-2015, 11:48 AM
JR76's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Of course not. I meant that Victoria will inherit it. It wouldn't be logical to spend millions to a house on an estate owned by someone else after the king is dead.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
Oh sorry i misunderstood.

I agree. It seems like they are paving the way for Victorias family. She and Daniel seems to be the only ones except for her parents with any particular interest in Solliden.

As Madeleine and her family apparently will live abroad and CP has that country house he inherited from a business man some years ago I agree it seems that Victoria is most likely to inherit Solliden. That said they all have equal rights of inheritance so she would have to buy them out.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #331  
Old 06-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,019
Mod note: this post and post no. 332 have been moved from the edding thread of the prince.

Although I agree that he was wrongfully stripped of his title. Has Prince CP ever given any indication he feels this way? Perhaps he feels like he dodged a bullet? Not everyone wants to be saddled with that.

LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 06-13-2015, 01:00 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Although I agree that he was wrongfully stripped of his title. Has Prince CP ever given any indication he feels this way? Perhaps he feels like he dodged a bullet? Not everyone wants to be saddled with that.

Queen Silvia said in that Portuguese-language interview to Globo that I posted in another forum that "thankfully" CP "accepted it" and "everything is fine now". Keep in mind CP was only 7 months old when it happened. I suppose it is more of an issue to his parents than to him, not only to the King, but, surprisiingly, to the Queen as well from her tone in that particular interview. She said "it was the will of the people" and again that they "accepted it".
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 06-14-2015, 11:17 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Queen Silvia said in that Portuguese-language interview to Globo that I posted in another forum that "thankfully" CP "accepted it" and "everything is fine now". Keep in mind CP was only 7 months old when it happened. I suppose it is more of an issue to his parents than to him, not only to the King, but, surprisiingly, to the Queen as well from her tone in that particular interview. She said "it was the will of the people" and again that they "accepted it".
Absolutely. I saw a german interview yesterday with a well know german royal watcher and Silvia said the same thing again, that they were against it but the parliament decided over their heads just because the women's movement was everywhere. I didn't like the tone how she said it at all. She further said that she didnt want Victoria with the burden having to work and having a family. Sorry, this interview is from 2015, in what world is she still living?? She sounded negative and nostalgic, as if she hadn't understood a thing.

During yesterday's wedding I couldnt help thinking that CG would have been so proud if his son would have been the CP and he tried to give him a party as if he was the CP.

The way the Bernadotte children and their partners are being treated differently by both Silvia & CG is really appalling.
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 06-14-2015, 12:28 PM
Furienna's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Örnsköldsvik, Sweden
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Absolutely. I saw a german interview yesterday with a well know german royal watcher and Silvia said the same thing again, that they were against it but the parliament decided over their heads just because the women's movement was everywhere. I didn't like the tone how she said it at all. She further said that she didnt want Victoria with the burden having to work and having a family. Sorry, this interview is from 2015, in what world is she still living?? She sounded negative and nostalgic, as if she hadn't understood a thing.
But I can understand Silvia's viewpoint, even if you find it too old-fashioned. She just happens to be more conservative than others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade
During yesterday's wedding I couldnt help thinking that CG would have been so proud if his son would have been the CP and he tried to give him a party as if he was the CP.

The way the Bernadotte children and their partners are being treated differently by both Silvia & CG is really appalling.
I'm sorry that you see it that way, but I don't think that was the intention.
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 06-14-2015, 03:00 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
The way the Bernadotte children and their partners are being treated differently by both Silvia & CG is really appalling.

I don't think that's entirely true. Victoria's wedding was on a much larger scale and much grander than this. Madeleine's was smaller but that was on her request.
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 06-16-2015, 09:07 AM
Sarahbellar's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
As Madeleine and her family apparently will live abroad and CP has that country house he inherited from a business man some years ago I agree it seems that Victoria is most likely to inherit Solliden. That said they all have equal rights of inheritance so she would have to buy them out.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

All 3 children spend time at Solliden. They have been photographed many times out and about on Öland. I believe yesterday MT said that The princess family would spend their summer at Solliden.
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 06-16-2015, 09:32 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: -, Antarctica
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
The way the Bernadotte children and their partners are being treated differently by both Silvia & CG is really appalling.
Victoria is the heir to the throne and therefore her wedding was grander than the weddings of her siblings, and the Swedish government payed for half of expenses for that wedding, while the king had to pay from his own pocket for the weddings of Madeleine and Carl Philip. If Madeleine had been able to choose she would most likely have preferred to have a private wedding without any media present, but as the daughter of the king of Sweden it was not possible. As for Carl Philip and Sofia, I think they got the wedding they wanted, they wanted a big wedding and they got it.
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 06-16-2015, 11:07 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 22,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Victoria is the heir to the throne and therefore her wedding was grander than the weddings of her siblings, and the Swedish government payed for half of expenses for that wedding, while the king had to pay from his own pocket for the weddings of Madeleine and Carl Philip. If Madeleine had been able to choose she would most likely have preferred to have a private wedding without any media present, but as the daughter of the king of Sweden it was not possible. As for Carl Philip and Sofia, I think they got the wedding they wanted, they wanted a big wedding and they got it.
The king paid the private costs at Madeleine's and Carl Philip's wedding, the costs of the "official part", for instance the wedding ceremony and security, are paid from the apanage. According to SVT the king pays about 6 million, 3 million is taken from the apanage.
Så mycket kostar prinsbröllopet - Nyheter _ SVT.se
Translation
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 06-16-2015, 11:31 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: -, Antarctica
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The king paid the private costs at Madeleine's and Carl Philip's wedding, the costs of the "official part", for instance the wedding ceremony and security, are paid from the apanage. According to SVT the king pays about 6 million, 3 million is taken from the apanage.
Even if a part of the wedding costs are from the appanage and not from the king's own money, the appanage is to cover royal costs. In the case of Victoria's wedding the court got an extra 15 million Swedish crowns to cover the costs of the wedding from the government, as well as other costs were covered by the government and others: Prislappen för kronprinsessan Victoria och Daniel Westlings bröllop: 100 miljoner | Bröllopet | Aftonbladet
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 06-16-2015, 11:56 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 22,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Even if a part of the wedding costs are from the appanage and not from the king's own money, the appanage is to cover royal costs. In the case of Victoria's wedding the court got an extra 15 million Swedish crowns to cover the costs of the wedding from the government, as well as other costs were covered by the government and others: Prislappen för kronprinsessan Victoria och Daniel Westlings bröllop: 100 miljoner | Bröllopet | Aftonbladet
I know that. It's just that from your message I got the impression that you meant that the king paid Madeleine's and Carl Philip's wedding totally from his own pocket, while it wasn't so. Or in fact, Bertil Ternert told to the press after Madeleine's engagement that the king will pay Madeleine's wedding and no taxpayers' money will be used. But in 2014 at the publishing of the annual report Jan Lindtman told that the official part's costs were paid from the apanage. And now before the wedding he told the same thing.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
constitution, constitutional change, crown princess victoria, prince carl philip, succession, sweden


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Would You Change? Lena Royal Chit Chat 21 01-11-2015 08:09 PM
When did your opinion of Diana change and why? ysbel Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 1113 06-06-2011 12:20 AM
Change of name of our community to TRF... Andy R Forum Announcements and Admin 2 08-29-2004 05:29 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit best outfit september 2016 catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events diana duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander lists member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess victoria birthday queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen mathildes style queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats visit to canada


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises