The Change of the Act of Succession - 1979 Constitution Change

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe so, but CP was still already born as the crown prince when the new law came. So it would have made sense to let it only affect future generations, like they did it in Norway.

Why? The law-changing process was already underway when CG and Silvia decided to have another child. Why should the interests of one privileged male infant take priority over the will of Parliament?

Well, I guess that we'll just have to disagree on this one.

We have to remember, that the preliminary work for the change was carried out already in 1977-78. It started even before Victoria was born. And the king and queen knew about the process. Carl Philip was not unjustified stripped anything.

Exactly. This was not something that was done fast. The work had started well before Victoria was born. The King and Queen and the courtiers knew very well that Victoria was to become Crown Princess on 1 January 1980.
Yet THEY CHOOSED to welcome and baptise Carl Philip in the Crown Princely way. They could have avoided all fuss but they choosed to not do.

Exactly. This was not something that was done fast. The work had started well before Victoria was born. The King and Queen and the courtiers knew very well that Victoria was to become Crown Princess on 1 January 1980.
Yet THEY CHOOSED to welcome and baptise Carl Philip in the Crown Princely way. They could have avoided all fuss but they choosed to not do.

They chose to welcome and baptize him as Crown Prince because, when he was born and until he was 7 months old, he was legally the Crown Prince of Sweden. A bill doesn't come into force until it is finally passed according to the proper procedure laid out in the constitution. The fact that the succession bill had already cleared its first reading in the Swedish parliament didn't mean the bill was already in force as it could still be voted down at second reading. Especially considering that Carl Philip was born in May 1979 and the general election was held in September 1979. The new parliament could obviously overturn decisions from the previous one. That is BTW precisely why the Swedish Instrument of Government requires that a general election be held between two votes on a basic law like the Act of Succession.

They probably hoped everything would work out the way they wished once they presented a fait accompli.

It's too bad they still sound so bitter about it, I'd have thought they would have adapted by now. But I guess not.

Out of curiosity, what would have happened if the King had died on December 1979? Would Parliament depose King Carl XVII Philip and replace him with his sister?

Last edited:
Since he only would had been a baby, I guess that they could have done that as well. :sad:

They chose to welcome and baptize him as Crown Prince because, when he was born and until he was 7 months old, he was legally the Crown Prince of Sweden. A bill doesn't come into force until it is finally passed according to the proper procedure laid out in the constitution. The fact that the succession bill had already cleared its first reading in the Swedish parliament didn't mean the bill was already in force as it could still be voted down at second reading. Especially considering that Carl Philip was born in May 1979 and the general election was held in September 1979. The new parliament could obviously overturn decisions from the previous one. That is BTW precisely why the Swedish Instrument of Government requires that a general election be held between two votes on a basic law like the Act of Succession.

All political parties except one in the Swedish parliament agreed on this so there was/is no chance in the world that the new constitution would have been dismissed by the parliament before or after elections unless both the government and the opposition would have agreed to do so.

The royal family and the courtiers knew that so they putted themselves in their own situation !

Yet they welcomed Prince Carl Philip as Crown Prince with a 42 gun salute and christened him with the Crown Princely Crown placed beside the baptismal font despite knowing all this very well. Still they choosed to. I don't feel sad at all for them !

Last edited:
Was the male primogeniture in full force and effect at the time of Prince Carl Philip's birth? If yes, they had a full right to welcome him with a 42 gun salute and baptise him in accordance with his title. It is irrelevant who knew what.
Toying around with the succession line and going overboard with equality surely backfire.

Last edited:
Was the male primogeniture in full force and effect at the time of Prince Carl Philip's birth? If yes, they had a full right to welcome him with a 42 gun salute and baptise him in accordance with his title. It is irrelevant who knew what.
Toying around with the succession line and going overboard with equality surely backfire.

1. No it was not in full effect though the work with the new constitution was underway since many years and everybody knew it would happen. It was not that it may happen, it was going to happen.

2. Of course he was legally Crown Prince when he was born and they are free to welcome him as such if they want to. But in my personal opinion it is not okay to yell 35 years afterwards when they knew it was going to happen. They putted themselves in all fuss. The swedish King is well aware that the constitution is a political thing and that he has no political power at all since 1975.

I have no idea how the changes to the constitution as far as succession to the Crown was worded in Sweden but with a little light digging with a spoon back to when the UK instituted equal primogeniture to the British Crown while William and Kate were expecting their first child, I believe that although the changes needed to be ratified by the Commonwealth nations, it was worded with a specific date.

"As it was introduced at the time when the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were expecting their first child, the Act stipulated that a daughter would succeed her father irrespective of whether later children were male. To allow for the delay in implementing the change to the law, the relevant provision was made retrospective to 28 October 2011(the date of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting agreement) so that the child would benefit if it was female."

Is it possible that something similar to this was done in Sweden?

All I can say about this is that it is time for both the King and Queen to get over this, since, at least it seems so to me, CP doesn't look bothered by it, merely a bit uncertain as what to do with his life... But this, I think, can be attributed to his own character who has yet to find a suited path...
Also, he can considered himself lucky enough, as if he were now the heir, he wouldn't be able to marry Sofia... or many years had still to come before he were allowed to...

Also, he can considered himself lucky enough, as if he were now the heir, he wouldn't be able to marry Sofia... or many years had still to come before he were allowed to...

I think if Carl Philip were the heir he would have long ago married Emma Pernauld. Given that, it's a question if he would ever have met Sofia. But if he did, then maybe there would have been an affair, but no more. JMO. ;)

I agree with Mirabel-I think they intended a fait accompli but it didn’t happen & I don’t think they can let go of that. I’d argue it’s not even about Carl Phillip anymore. It’s about them being irked that their wishes got usurped by a Parliamentary action. And if so it’s troubling that they wanted to subvert the legislative process. But in hindsight what they did in 79 is just them being willful and sexist. “Sweden with the times” clearly meant something different to the King than it did to the legislature. But again everyone has different perspectives.

I’d argue it’s their behavior and actions since that has been pretty awful. Thirty plus years later they still comment on the decision and it serves zero purpose other than making them look stubbornly fixated on something that was long ago decided.

And the worst part is every time they make a comment like this Victoria has to address it and say some variation on how she doesn’t take it personally.

But why is it so hard for you to respect the king's and the queen's opinion, even if you don't agree with them?

But why is it so hard for you to respect the king's and the queen's opinion, even if you don't agree with them?

Because it's one thing to have an opinion about something, but when airing that opinion shows you in a very negative light, this is the biggie though IMO, *and* continually hurts your Daughter in a very public and bitter manner w/the airing of that opinion? Speaking for myself, I have a very hard time respecting anyone for actions like that. Royal or not.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

It’s not so much about respecting their opinion as being utterly baffled by their need to voice this opinion at this stage in the game. More than thirty years afterward one would assume they’d have accepted the change or at the very least have a good press ready response. Honestly this seems like an action they need to turn the page on and let go of to use the King's rhetoric.

Because it's one thing to have an opinion about something, but when airing that opinion shows you in a very negative light, this is the biggie though IMO, *and* continually hurts your Daughter in a very public and bitter manner w/the airing of that opinion? Speaking for myself, I have a very hard time respecting anyone for actions like that. Royal or not.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

This!! This x100! I don't see why people fail to grasp that it must hurt Victoria deeply.

I agree 100%. :flowers:

This!! This x100! I don't see why people fail to grasp that it must hurt Victoria deeply.

Not necessarily. That's an assumption. Why would you think that? Her views on the matter might surprise you. It's an area that really only that family can understand, and it's obviously deeply personal for them. I say let it be. JMO.

Last edited:
We have to remember, that the preliminary work for the change was carried out already in 1977-78. It started even before Victoria was born. And the king and queen knew about the process. Carl Philip was not unjustified stripped anything.
I think Queen Silvia's position is also very clear. In the interview below to Brazilian TV, she basically says the same thing she said in that most recent 2015 Gernan interview, including the reference to the women's movement of the 1970s. Her attitude, like the King's, is one of resignation, i.e. they both accepted "the will of the people", even though it is clear that she feels that applying the law retroactively was wrong.

I believe it would be unfair though to say that CP Victoria doesn't have her parents' full support now. In fact, in the interview below, the Queen praises Victoria for her preparation and commitment to her role as heiress to the throne. Clearly, Victoria was raised as the heir whereas Carl Philip was not. Victoria's position in the royal house is pretty clear and unambiguous as she is the only child of Carl Gustaf with a household (i.e staff) of her own and takes a full range of state and diplomatic duties that are not shared with her siblings. The family came to terms with the reality imposed by the new law and, as the Queen said again below, Carl Philip also "accepted it" and "everything is fine" now.
His parents should not have been "puzzled" by it, and CP wasn't stripped of anything. He was born into a Sweden in which the process of changing the male primogeniture system was already underway. It was only a matter of time before the parliamentary process was completed.

As others have carefully and accurately stated already, but ignored by some, the changes to the law were already underway long before CP was conceived, and, apparently, before Victoria was born. It's not as though it was something that was suddenly foisted on an unsuspecting CG and Silvia.
They chose to welcome and baptize him as Crown Prince because, when he was born and until he was 7 months old, he was legally the Crown Prince of Sweden. A bill doesn't come into force until it is finally passed according to the proper procedure laid out in the constitution. The fact that the succession bill had already cleared its first reading in the Swedish parliament didn't mean the bill was already in force as it could still be voted down at second reading. Especially considering that Carl Philip was born in May] 1979 and the general election was held in September 1979. The new parliament could obviously overturn decisions from the previous one. That is BTW precisely why the Swedish Instrument of Government requires that a general election be held between two votes on a basic law like the Act of Succession.
They probably hoped everything would work out the way they wished once they presented a fait accompli.

It's too bad they still sound so bitter about it, I'd have thought they would have adapted by now. But I guess not.
All political parties except one in the Swedish parliament agreed on this so there was/is no chance in the world that the new constitution would have been dismissed by the parliament before or after elections unless both the government and the opposition would have agreed to do so.

The royal family and the courtiers knew that so they putted themselves in their own situation !

Yet they welcomed Prince Carl Philip as Crown Prince with a 42 gun salute and christened him with the Crown Princely Crown placed beside the baptismal font despite knowing all this very well. Still they choosed to. I don't feel sad at all for them !
I agree with Mirabel-I think they intended a fait accompli but it didn’t happen & I don’t think they can let go of that. I’d argue it’s not even about Carl Phillip anymore. It’s about them being irked that their wishes got usurped by a Parliamentary action. And if so it’s troubling that they wanted to subvert the legislative process. But in hindsight what they did in 79 is just them being willful and sexist. “Sweden with the times” clearly meant something different to the King than it did to the legislature. But again everyone has different perspectives.

I’d argue it’s their behavior and actions since that has been pretty awful. Thirty plus years later they still comment on the decision and it serves zero purpose other than making them look stubbornly fixated on something that was long ago decided.

And the worst part is every time they make a comment like this Victoria has to address it and say some variation on how she doesn’t take it personally.
Exactly. The king and queen chose to ignore what was happening and they, more than anyone, were totally aware of the consequences of their actions. Which is interesting when she mentions that Carl Philip has "accepted it" since he was only about seven months old when it was enacted. To say he has accepted it, is to say he was taught by his parents that he has been deprived of his birthright, which in turn gives the lie to the notion that Victoria had or has the full support of her parents. As does the strains of bitterness from both the King and Queen.

Kungen: Grundlagen är lustig | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=itwoYjEYe-I#t=881

However, the fact that 35 years after the fact the Queen is lamenting the change in succession publically, shows us that everything is demonstrably not fine now. And as for Victoria being given the rights to the Heir, well that's a crock! The king and queen didn't do it out of the kindness of their own hearts. The law of succession dictated that.

Yes I too believe that the king and queen really did believe that presenting the government and the country with a fait accompli would sway things their way, yet I am persuaded that when the government first decided on this course of change in the succession, all possible consequences were covered because while this was about the succession, it was also just like any other law and required the same preliminary research as any other.

In that light I believe the royal couple were more aware of it's implications, perhaps even more so than the government itself, and that the legalities had been addressed or would be automatically covered by the legislation itself.

So, I don't think Victoria had an easy time of it. She got what the law dictated but if her parents are so public about this now, 35 years later, one has to wonder what they have been like in private.

But sadly, not only have the actions of the King and Queen been indiscreet, they are hurtful and have left Crown Princess Victoria vulnerable to questions about the SRF and her place in it.

Not necessarily. That's an assumption. Why would you think that? Her views on the matter might surprise you.

Yes, I'd be fairly surprised if she were not bothered in the least by her parents complaining that she was made heir, thereby depriving her brother of HIS birthright. :whistling:

I completely agree with Marg - if this is what they are saying in public, one can only imagine what they have said in private.

Yes, I'd be fairly surprised if she were not bothered in the least by her parents complaining that she was made heir, thereby depriving her brother of HIS birthright.

Maybe that would be so for you in such a situation. Just saying. It may not be for her. Your assumption is that this is talked about in personal terms. It may not be. Royalty is a kind of 'family business'. Who is the heir is not minor. Being the heir has deeply impacted Victoria's life. One just never knows. :cool:

I completely agree with Marg - if this is what they are saying in public, one can only imagine what they have said in private.

You can imagine anything, that is certain. It's possible she may agree with her parents. We don't know. Why assume the worst, that gets the hackles up against people you do not know? That I find puzzling. Just saying.

I think if Carl Philip were the heir he would have long ago married Emma Pernauld. Given that, it's a question if he would ever have met Sofia. But if he did, then maybe there would have been an affair, but no more. JMO. ;)

But I amnot even 100% sure about it... it seems CG makes differences between daughters and son, and to put it blandly, his son (even more if he had been the heir) would have indulged every whim...:whistling:

I have no idea how the changes to the constitution as far as succession to the Crown was worded in Sweden but with a little light digging with a spoon back to when the UK instituted equal primogeniture to the British Crown while William and Kate were expecting their first child, I believe that although the changes needed to be ratified by the Commonwealth nations, it was worded with a specific date.

"As it was introduced at the time when the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were expecting their first child, the Act stipulated that a daughter would succeed her father irrespective of whether later children were male. To allow for the delay in implementing the change to the law, the relevant provision was made retrospective to 28 October 2011(the date of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting agreement) so that the child would benefit if it was female."

Is it possible that something similar to this was done in Sweden?

The amended Act of Succession simply says that equal primogeniture applies to all descendants of King Carl XVI Gustaf. There was no specific date. If they wanted to make an exemption for Carl Philip, it would have sufficed to change the text and say that equal primogeniture would apply only to descendants of King Carl XVI Gustaf born after June 1979 for example.

BTW, as you correctly pointed out, the British Succession to the Crown Act 2013 is also retroactive for people born after October 2011. As a result, Tane Lewis and Rufus Gilman (both born in 2012) were moved down in the line of succession after the law came into effect in 2014. None of them, however, was the heir to the throne (Tane is now #30 and Rufus is #33).

Last edited:
All I can say about this is that it is time for both the King and Queen to get over this, since, at least it seems so to me, CP doesn't look bothered by it, merely a bit uncertain as what to do with his life... But this, I think, can be attributed to his own character who has yet to find a suited path...

In the Portuguese-language interview I posted, Queen Silvia used the expression: "Graças a Deus, o príncipe Carl-Philip aceitou essa decisão do povo" ("Thank God Prince Carl Philip accepted that decision of the people"). The emphatic way she said it suggests she was afraid he might not have taken it so well, even though he was just a baby at the time.

In another part of the interview, correcting a wrong statement by the interviewer, the Queen also emphatically says: "Depois houve a eleição, depois houve o segundo parlamento e aí ele tinha nascido. Ele tinha sete meses, quer dizer, ele nasceu como o príncipe herdeiro ! Mas é uma decisão do povo que nós aceitamos" ("Then there was the election, then the second parliament and, at that time, he had already been born. He was seven months old, that is, he was born as the Crown Prince ! But it is a decision of the people which we accepted"). There is no doubt in my mind then that is exactly how she and King Carl Gustaf felt at the time and that is why they baptized Carl Philip with the Crown Prince crown by his side.

Last edited:
In the Portuguese-language interview I posted, Queen Silvia used the expression: "Graças a Deus, o príncipe Carl-Philip aceitou essa decisão do povo" ("Thank God Prince Carl Philip accepted that decision of the people"). The emphatic way she said it suggests she was afraid he might not have taken it so well, even though he was just a baby at the time.

In another part of the interview, correcting a wrong statement by the interviewer, the Queen also emphatically says: "Depois houve a eleição, depois houve o segundo parlamento e aí ele tinha nascido. Ele tinha sete meses, quer dizer, ele nasceu como o príncipe herdeiro ! Mas é uma decisão do povo que nós aceitamos" ("Then there was the election, then the second parliament and, at that time, he had already been born. He was seven months old, that is, he was born as the Crown Prince ! But it is a decision of the people which we accepted"). There is no doubt in my mind then that is exactly how she and King Carl Gustaf felt at the time and that is why they baptized Carl Philip with the Crown Prince crown by his side

I see, thank you:flowers:. IMO, I still think CP as "rather modern" and I think that now he is happy not to be the crown prince... It is all speculation on my part, but I really believe he would se the role as too much of a burden. He looks like he wants to stay out of the light as much as possible... Again, I guess it was more a concern fo hi parents...

Yes, I'd be fairly surprised if she were not bothered in the least by her parents complaining that she was made heir, thereby depriving her brother of HIS birthright. :whistling:

I wonder if Victoria was ever pressured to step aside, in favor of her brother?

It wouldn't have been an issue if Carl Gustav and Silvia hadn't made it one. Carl Philip was a baby when the amendment came into effect and he wouldn't have known about it if his parents hadn't told him, and, since resentment of the "injustice" seems to burn deep within them, I am sure they have told him more than once and made a fuss about it.

There was nothing for CP to accept. The changes were underway before he was conceived. It was a fait accompli before he was a year old.

I wonder if Victoria was ever pressured to step aside, in favor of her brother?

I am not sure if she could, even if she wanted to. The Instrument of Government provides for a voluntary abdication by the King, but AFAIK it says nothing about royal princes renouncing their succession rights. In order to remove Victoria from her current position as heiress to the throne, another law would be required amending the Act of Succession. Since the Act of Succession is however a basic law, I understand that would require the same procedure as in the 1970s, i.e. two separate votes in the Swedish parliament with a general election in between.

Victoria could have stepped down though, with no further legal action required, if she had married Daniel without the consent of the King and the government.

Last edited:
The amended Act of Succession simply says that equal primogeniture applies to all descendants of King Carl XVI Gustaf. There was no specific date. If they wanted to make an exemption for Carl Philip, it would have sufficed to change the text and say that equal primogeniture would apply only to descendants of King Carl XVI Gustaf born after June 1979 for example.

[....]

Or simply state in the Act that the new rules will be enforced from the date on which the new Act will be published and will affect any successor born after that date. They did so in Norway. They also did so in the Netherlands with the change of the Royal House Act. In both cases the rules of the game were not changed retro-actively, affecting royals whom already had a position on base of the existing Act of that moment.

Back
Top Bottom