Swedish Weddings, Churches, etc

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, Royal Fan, King Carl XVI Gustaf was born in 1946 and he became King of Sweden in 1973. So he was 27 or 28 when he ascended the throne after the death of his grandfather.

He actually became second in line to the throne at age four.

He was twentyseven. And still my mum, who's six months younger than him, thought he looked childish when he became king. Well, she was used to old kings like Gustav V and Gustav VI Adolf.

I can't wait to see CP Victoria get married. I think it's gonna be grand. And she must be wear a very beautiful dress...

Yeah, I think it's about time we have a royal wedding! It's been thirty years since the last one!

I'm sure it's come up with the family, especially with Victoria's age and two younger siblings who might want to be married and might have to wait for her to do it, but it has been said before- they aren't in any rush either. A marriage is not "just a marriage" to a CP! Also her boyfriend is surely going through EXTENSIVE training, being (somewhat) new to the world of royalty. Even something as simple as using the proper fork may be something he needs to learn!!
I would love to see a wedding, and I think Victoria is of a good age for it and has certainly been with Daniel long enough for there to be no scandal, but we just have to be patient! It will be worth the wait, I'm sure!!:flowers:

I know someday Victoria will be able to find a suitable guy to be her prince and reign will her when she becomes queen it is going to take much longer time.But I have will continue to keep my fingers crossed and be waiting to hear a public annnoucement that she is indeed engaged to marry a wonderful and loving man in the future.

Crown Princess Victorias wedding will most likely take place in Storkyrkan (Stockholm Cathedral) but a few other churches in Stockholm can also host a big royal wedding.
They are Engebrektskyrkan at Östermalm, Gustaf Vasa Kyrka at Odenplan,
Högalidskyrkan at Södermalm and St Johannes Kyrka in the central of Stockholm.
Off course the Palace Church can also host a royal wedding but not with more than 700 guests and I guess it will be more at Victorias wedding.
The royal palace church will most likely be used for the christening of Victorias, Carl Philips and Madeleines children and also for the funeral of members of the royal family except for The Moarch and his / her consort and the heir apparent if he /she die before the accesion. Their funeral will take place in either Storkyrkan or Riddarholmskyrkan.

Another possible church for the christening of Carl Philips and Madeleines children is Räpplinge Kyrka at Öland, frequently used by the royal family in the summers when they are at Solliden Palace.

But I think we can say that the wedding of our Crown Princess will take place in Storkyrkan.

Last edited:
is there any royals that has got married in skåne or maybe Norrland

Gammelgarns kyrka (Gammelgarn Church) is a medieval Lutheran church on the island of Gotland.

It is quite upsetting to learn that officials would "force" Princess Birgitta to live as a Catholic.
Mother knows a few Catholics who married Protestant individuals. The Protestants had to sign paperwork declaring the children, if any, would be raised as Catholics. However, never had the Protestants mentioned they were "forced" into Catholicism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Birgitta of Sweden and Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern married at the Sankt Johann Church in Sigmaringen,Germany following a civil ceremony in Sweden.

Princess Birgitta of Sweden and Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern married at the Sankt Johann Church in Sigmaringen,Germany following a civil ceremony in Sweden.
I never really understood why they didn't marry in a Swedish church. It is customary that a wedding takes place from the bride's home, unless the groom is the heir. But the groom was a younger son.

I never really understood why they didn't marry in a Swedish church. It is customary that a wedding takes place from the bride's home, unless the groom is the heir. But the groom was a younger son.

Didn't they marry in a RC ceremony?

That might be the point, they could hardly have a RC ceremony in Sweden.

The civil ceremony was in Sweden and religious wedding Mass in Germany,off topic did Brigitta convert to Catholicism or remain Lutheran?

I didn't know that the Hohenzollerns were Catholics? :ermm:

I didn't know that the Hohenzollerns were Catholics? :ermm:
The Prussian branch of the Hohenzollerns are Lutherans, but Princess Birgitta married into the Sigmaringen branch of the family which are catholic.

An Ard Ri, I have no idea if Birgitta converted or not.

From the blog of Trond Norén Isaksen:
"At the time of her marriage Princess Birgitta converted to Catholicism, but has stated that she has since “distanced” herself from the Catholic church due to her resentment over how “they forced me to sign a paper saying that I should live as a Catholic and raise my children as Catholics”."
Trond Norén Isaksen On this date Princess Birgitta’s 75th birthday

Another Swedish royal couple who married in Germany were the late Prince Gustaf Adolf, Duke of Västerbotten and Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha who married at the Lutheran Morizkirche in Coburg,Germany in 1932.

The church also houses the burial site of the ducal family .

Margaret Leijonhufvud married King Gustav I on October 1, 1536 in Uppsala Cathedral in a ceremony conducted by Archbishop Laurentius Petri.

Back
Top Bottom