Swedish State Visits: General Discussion and Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't expect more than one royal-royal state visit per year from the three new monarchs. Belgium will visit the Netherlands this year, and the Spanish mornarchs are visiting Britain. So Sweden might not be on their agenda before 2017.

Let's hope that there will be two incoming State Visits again, like last year. The incoming ones are just the bigger show. :D

According to the -very reliable- royalblog.nl of Hans Jacobs, it says that there are 'whispers' about a Dutch state visit to Sweden for this year. No date has been set yet.
http://royalblog.nl/

Last edited:
I don't expect more than one royal-royal state visit per year from the three new monarchs. Belgium will visit the Netherlands this year, and the Spanish mornarchs are visiting Britain. So Sweden might not be on their agenda before 2017.

:D
Actually there are 2 belgian State Visits to other monarchies amnnounced for this year. One to Japan and one to the Netherlands.
But that makes it unlikely that the will visit Sweden this year. Also Spain is unlikely as there will be the State Visit to the UK in March and there wll be Visits to Japan, Jordan and Morocco. But it is not clear if it will all be State Visits.
Also nice would be a swedish State Visit to Luxembourg.

Last edited:
I expect things to be announced about this soon. An outgoing state visit to India is possible. An incoming state visit from Iceland is also possible by the end of the year as they will get a new President this summer.

Others than that i have no clue. Would be nice if the much anticipated state visit to Germany would finally happen. A state visit to The Queen's birth country would be a HUGE media affair.

Royals ? Maybe from Spain. Too early yet to expect visits from Belgium and Netherlands.

If i got to wish a royal state visit, it would be an incoming state visit from Denmark during the summer and that QMII takes both the royal ship "Dannebrogen" and and the whole Crown Princely family with her (PH can be at his wine castle and PJ can protect Denmark while they are here).

I second that. The Icelandic state visit could how ever take place next year instead.

I also think that it is about time for a Danish state visit, and I want to see it in the same circumstances as you. It seems like Sweden and Denmark need to improve the relations a bit. But I don't think it takes places this year, mostly because of the King's birthday.

For this year, this spring, I really hope for a state visit to Germany. As you say, it would be huge in Germany, and far too long since the last one.

My list would be:
Outgoing to Germany
Outgoing to the UK (come on it would be amazing)
Incoming from the Netherlands
Incoming from Poland (to return the visit there a couple of years ago, and it seems to be a focus on the Baltic countries in recent years.)

Isn't it customary to pay a state visit to another head-of-state only once? King CG already went to QEII for a state visit, so that would rule out another one during the reign of QEII.

The King and Queen of Sweden have paid an official visit to the new King of the Netherlands and Queen Máxima see picture, after -of course- the Dutch royal couple made an introductory visit to them first, see picture.

A Dutch State Visit to Sweden, after these two events in a short period, seems a bit unlikely to me...

Isn't it customary to pay a state visit to another head-of-state only once? King CG already went to QEII for a state visit, so that would rule out another one during the reign of QEII.
Usually it is like this but there are exceptions. For example Queen Margrethe II. paid 2 State Visits to the Uk. One in the 1970's and one in 2000. And King Olav V. made one in 1987/88 and i believe that this was not his fierst State Visit to the Uk given the close Family relationships. And King CG paid 2 State Visits to Denmark.

An incoming state visit from Netherlands to Sweden this year would be VERY surprising as it is only 7 years since Queen Beatrix was her on a state visit.

Although i would love it

An incoming state visit from Netherlands to Sweden this year would be VERY surprising as it is only 7 years since Queen Beatrix was her on a state visit.

Although i would love it
That was not a State Visiti of Queen Beatrix to Sweden but a State Visit of King CG and Queen Silvia to the Netherlands.

Correct. I was too fast there. It was an outgoing state visit. The last dutch state visit to Sweden was in 1987
(although it has been official visits in between at both directions).

Last edited:
According to the -very reliable- royalblog.nl of Hans Jacobs, it says that there are 'whispers' about a Dutch state visit to Sweden for this year. No date has been set yet.
http://royalblog.nl/

Actually there are 2 belgian State Visits to other monarchies amnnounced for this year. One to Japan and one to the Netherlands.
But that makes it unlikely that the will visit Sweden this year. Also Spain is unlikely as there will be the State Visit to the UK in March and there wll be Visits to Japan, Jordan and Morocco. But it is not clear if it will all be State Visits.
Also nice would be a swedish State Visit to Luxembourg.
Ok, so that completely un-prooves my one-state-visit-per-year theory. And a Dutch SV to Sweden would be very welcome, I truely hope that those 'whispers' are right. What a glittering event that would be.

Is it certain that the Visit of Felipe to Japan is a proper SV?

Hans Jacobs is a reliable source but when he speaks about "whispers" that is not the same as "there is a date set for a State Visit", of course.

This is what he wrote in Dutch, here the translation:

[...]

France will receive the (Dutch) royal couple for a State Visit in March. The dates have not yet been made public, but the French President François Hollande already (untimely) announced the visit last summer. Paris is not the only destination for a State Visit, but the Household and Foreign Affairs remain silent. Sweden and Australia are names that are whispered, but these are not confirmed (yet). One incoming State Visit is certain: the Belgian royal couple is expected in Amsterdam, in the autumn. King Felipe of Spain will also make a visit in February, for the opening of the Hieronymus Bosch-exhibition.

[...]

When Albert II of Monaco opened a Princesse Grace exhibition in NL, there was a gala dinner with the Queen wearing a tiara. So, may we hope for some near-state-visit-glitter at King Felipe's visit? Or is it just a one day visit with the King flying back in the evening?

Of course the Dutch state visit is only a rumor, but perhaps there is some truth within it. I don't see previous state/official visits as a problem. The King and Queen paid a state visit to the Netherlands in 2009, and an official visit in 2014(?). The time since the last state visit is the a quite normal time between the first and second state visit between countries in Sweden. However there is a new King in the Netherlands, and that should out rule anything else.

Found something that seems to be quite reliable. A incoming state visit from Chile is to be expected in May, according to the Swedish Government.

Sweden and Chile aim to enter social welfare agreement - Government.se

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course the Dutch state visit is only a rumor, but perhaps there is some truth within it. I don't see previous state/official visits as a problem. The King and Queen paid a state visit to the Netherlands in 2009, and an official visit in 2014(?). The time since the last state visit is the a quite normal time between the first and second state visit between countries in Sweden. However there is a new King in the Netherlands, and that should out rule anything else.

WA visited Sweden in 2014 as a King. It would be different perhaps if he had still been CP back then, but 2 state visits in 2 years would seem a stretch IMO. Mathilde and Philippe have as well since coming to the throne. I don't believe Felipe and Letizia have since Felipe became king, so maybe them?

WA visited Sweden in 2014 as a King. It would be different perhaps if he had still been CP back then, but 2 state visits in 2 years would seem a stretch IMO. Mathilde and Philippe have as well since coming to the throne. I don't believe Felipe and Letizia have since Felipe became king, so maybe them?

Well that is really different things. King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima paid a visit to Sweden in October 2013. That was however just a introduction visit, alsting one day. The Swedish King and Queen paid an official visit to the Netherlands in April 2014 to celebrate the 400 years of diplomatic relations between the countries. None of these visits have been state visits.

Either it means that a "real" state visit will take place soon, or it means that due to the previous visits there is no need of a state visit right now. Who knows?

The Dutch king and queen went to Denmark on an introduction visit in 2013 and went back for a state visit in 2015. If that was not a problem then, I don't see why it should be a problem now.

Anyway, for now all we can do is wait and see.

Well that is really different things. King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima paid a visit to Sweden in October 2013. That was however just a introduction visit, alsting one day. The Swedish King and Queen paid an official visit to the Netherlands in April 2014 to celebrate the 400 years of diplomatic relations between the countries. None of these visits have been state visits.

Either it means that a "real" state visit will take place soon, or it means that due to the previous visits there is no need of a state visit right now. Who knows?

The Dutch king and queen went to Denmark on an introduction visit in 2013 and went back for a state visit in 2015. If that was not a problem then, I don't see why it should be a problem now.

Anyway, for now all we can do is wait and see.

It all depends on if the Swedish foreign ministry who is responsible for the state visits has sent an invitation to their dutch counterpart regarding a state visit. If they have it is probably just a question of schedule it before it is announced. If not, then we have to wait.

The official visit to Netherlands in 2014 was more or less a state visit in every sence but name. We even got to see a white tie dinner despite it not being a state visit :-D

All we can do is to wait and see what will be announced and what won't be announced. As W-A has been King for almost 3 years now and that there hasn't been a dutch official visit to Sweden for a while, a state visit shouldn't shouldn't be very far away.

I don't think the introductory visit really can be seen as an official visit. It was more a chance for King W-A to over a day introduce himself for the swedish royal court, parliament and government.

Last edited:
Interesting. Then all rumours i've heard recently that there is an incoming state visit from Chile at the drawing board at the foreign ministry seems to be true :)

Interesting on a personal note for me too as i am adopted from Chile :)

That must be especially happy new Hans-Rickard. Nice that the rumors turn out to be true.

So the SV from Chile will be in May, after the big birthday celebrations for the King. I wonder if there will be an outgoing visit in March or so, before the birthday. Outgoing visits to republics are often announced at short term.

So the SV from Chile will be in May, after the big birthday celebrations for the King. I wonder if there will be an outgoing visit in March or so, before the birthday. Outgoing visits to republics are often announced at short term.

There could be a incoming state visit in March as well, we don't know. The state visit from Chile is not officially announced, so another (incoming or outgoing) could be announced before that.

We gotta wait and see. There is a possibility that there will be fewer state visits for the swedish royal couple this year or by the first half of the year as there will be a lot of other ceremonies with 2 upcoming births, service of thanksgivings and christenings (if everything goes well), the birthday celebrations for the King will likely last over 2 or 3 days, the 40:th wedding anniversary for the royal couple will likely be celebrated in some way this summer. To that you have the usual representation dinners and possible state visits.

It is pretty safe to say that 2016 will be an interesting year for the swedish royals /)

Last edited:
We gotta wait and see. There is a possibility that there will be fewer state visits for the swedish royal couple this year or by the first half of the year as there will be a lot of other ceremonies with 2 upcoming births, service of thanksgivings and christenings (if everything goes well), the birthday celebrations for the King will likely last over 2 or 3 days, the 40:th wedding anniversary for the royal couple will likely be celebrated in some way this summer. To that you have the usual representation dinners and possible state visits.

It is pretty safe to say that 2016 will be an interesting year for the swedish royals /)

A very interesting year indeed. The first official dinner was announced today for February 3rd. As have said before, we have to wait and see for announcements. In 2006 we saw four visits in total, with one incoming state visit in March.

Today the King gave audience for the minister of foreign affairs Mrs Margot Wallström. Silvia, Victoria and Daniel was also present. They discussed the governments suggestions for state visits and official visits during the upcoming years.

Then i guess we can expect something to be announced soon

http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt/calendar.4.396160511584257f218000213.html

Today the King gave audience for the minister of foreign affairs Mrs Margot Wallström. Silvia, Victoria and Daniel was also present. They discussed the governments suggestions for state visits and official visits during the upcoming years.

Then i guess we can expect something to be announced soon

Calendar - Sveriges Kungahus

I hope there will be an announcement soon

Johan T Lindwall "reveals" at ExpressenTV, that the king and queen will make a state visit to Germany. And according to Lindwall it isn't a coincidence that the visit will be made this year. Queen Silvia celebrates her 40 years as the queen and returns to her home country. The visit will last at least three days, Berlin is in focus and queen Silvia's Heidelberg. Lindwall's source tells that the visit will be made in October.
Drottning Silvia återvänder till Tyskland _ Kungligt _ Expressen.tv

According to Expresssen's Johan T Lindwall, president Michelle Bachelet from Chile makes state visit to Sweden just before the Eurovision Song Contest final on 14th May, at the same week.
- It is the Ministry for Foreign Affairs that communicates state visits, said Margareta Thorgren.
Kungen och Silvia laddar för superveckor i maj _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Last edited by a moderator:
That is welcome news! I hope that it is correct, as there seems to be no official statement yet.

It will be exciting to have the King and Queen on a SV to Germany again. There will be a lot of press coverage, including some tv coverage. But the question on the spring State Visits is still unanswered. I hope that there will be some, even with the King's big birthday.

It would be great to see some coverage of Silvia in Heidelberg, her home town:flowers:

According to Expresssen's Johan T Lindwall, president Michelle Bachelet from Chile makes state visit to Sweden just before the Eurovision Song Contest final on 14th May, at the same week.
- It is the Ministry for Foreign Affairs that communicates state visits, said Margareta Thorgren.
Kungen och Silvia laddar för superveckor i maj _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Oh that's nice to have narrowed it down from May to to one specific week in May. Now we only have to see if it that week, or another in May.

Back
Top Bottom